Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 03-10-2013, 18:15
Silver Member

29 y/o Female from United States
Kate023 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 119, Level: 1 Points: 119, Level: 1 Points: 119, Level: 1
Activity: 8.3% Activity: 8.3% Activity: 8.3%
suboxone withdrawals - how bad and how long?

I have been on suboxone for about 9 months and have a script, but I have to get off because I'm going to school to be a nurse and can't have it in my system script or not. Anyways, so I'm on about 1 mg per day. I stopped the day before yesterday and it's not THAT bad yet. How bad will the w/d's get? I'm concerned because I'm a full time student and work part time. Will I be totally debilitated or is it not that bad coming off 1 mg/ day? Thanks for reading.
Old 03-10-2013, 18:22
Palladium Member

43 y/o Male from England
Space Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,934, Level: 11 Points: 5,934, Level: 11 Points: 5,934, Level: 11
Activity: 6.9% Activity: 6.9% Activity: 6.9%
Re: suboxone withdrawals - how bad and how long?

It really does depends from person to person love,

Personally i just stopped my Subutex at 2mg (so i could save up the script and get high at later dates....not that they lasted long)

I felt nothing more than mild/"codeine-like" withdrawal for a couple of days, but this is just my experience.
Old 03-10-2013, 18:28
Silver Member

alright thanks, at least that gives me some hope
Old 03-10-2013, 19:09
Silver Member

26 y/o Female from United States
pink_reaper is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate023 View Post
I have been on suboxone for about 9 months and have a script, but I have to get off because I'm going to school to be a nurse and can't have it in my system script or not. Anyways, so I'm on about 1 mg per day. I stopped the day before yesterday and it's not THAT bad yet. How bad will the w/d's get? I'm concerned because I'm a full time student and work part time. Will I be totally debilitated or is it not that bad coming off 1 mg/ day? Thanks for reading.
You should be fine with that low of a dosage. I quit cold turkey from 16mg per day and was so sick I had to have my mom hold me up over the toilet so I could puke. Lay on the floor with cold sweats shivering and puking all over myself. So weak that walking through ONE aisle of walmart wore me out to the point I was physically exhausted. Took me about 3 weeks to get over the hump, but like I said I was at 16mg a day. I can't imagine 1mg would be that bad. I quit this time last year at about 4mg a day and it wasn't too bad at all minus the RLS.
Old 03-10-2013, 19:33
Silver Member

35 y/o Female from United States
AKA_freckles is captain of the psychonauts.AKA_freckles is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 304, Level: 2 Points: 304, Level: 2 Points: 304, Level: 2
Activity: 13.5% Activity: 13.5% Activity: 13.5%

i had to get down to a .25 mg dose to jump, and it was still hard. The thing, in my experience, about sub withdrawal is that it's not your typical shit/shiver/cramp fest, like other opiods, it's just a lot of emotional stuff, and the worst insomnia I have ever had. I actually went from subs to methadone because i couldn't take it anymore. i finally did it right after being on methadone for almost 2 years, jumped back to suboxone for 6 weeks to taper down and it was fine. Being on suboxone for 9 months even at 1 mg. will probably disrupt your sleep cycle quite a bit, so prepare for that. good luck!
Old 03-10-2013, 19:40

Male from United States
I Said Yes is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I have little to no experience with opiates (i know i would like them too much) but when I was a little younger and a whole lot stupider... actually took one of these, 8mg, felt good for no more then 10 minutes then 3 days of constant puking. Ever since then I've had a great respect for anyone willing to face physical addiction to better themselves, you can't understand dope sickness unless you've been there. You should call your pharmacist and ask about whether it's recommended you tapper off or cold turkey.
Old 03-10-2013, 19:58
Silver Member

35 y/o Female from United States
AKA_freckles is captain of the psychonauts.AKA_freckles is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 304, Level: 2 Points: 304, Level: 2 Points: 304, Level: 2
Activity: 13.5% Activity: 13.5% Activity: 13.5%

Kate -023 Just a quick question - why can't you have suboxone in your system? I have never taken a drug test that it shows up in, (even at drug treatment centers) and as a nurse, of course you are allowed to be prescribed opiods for pain relief. I understand there is a stigma to suboxone, but seriously why would this kick you out of the program? my doc just wrote 'for pain relief, as needed' on my script. I am very curious about this since I am finishing my pre-reqs at the moment.
Old 04-10-2013, 00:02
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

19 y/o Female from United States
InRecovery152 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently tapering off suboxone from 8mgs, to 6mgs, to 4mgs (currently), then 2mgs, then hopefully 1mg, to nothing. I dose down every month. I worked out this plan with my psychiatrist (who is my suboxone provider and who I see every month) and my therapist (who works in conjunction with my psychiatrist and I see every week). Also, I get only a weeks supply at a time.

Anyway, I have experience with kicking suboxone which happened June of last year and did not work out well for me. However, I tapered from 8mgs to 4mgs to 2mgs to nothing within the span of a week. The withdrawals began about a day after I stopped and I experienced terrible cold sweats and shivers and goosebumps along with anxiety, insomnia, and an intense urge to use.

I ended up relapsing on my dad's Vicodin (which he kept in the house for some odd reason knowing his daughter is an addict) for about 2 weeks. My drug of choice was much stronger prescription pain killers like Opana and Percocet, but the Vicodin got my mildly high and no longer had cravings.

So after I ran out of Vicodin I got back on suboxone for fear of feeling withdrawals again. One year and 4 months later I am finally on the road to getting off. It was a mistake for me to be on for so long because I don't know how bad withdrawals will be this time.

However, I am tapering down much slower and setting myself up for success by working through things with a therapist, building a support network of friends and family, and starting to try to attend NA meetings.

Since you're only on 1mg per day your WDs shouldn't be too bad but I can only speculate. It also depends on if you've always been on 1mg or you tapered down from that.

From my experience and what professionals have told me, WDs aren't as bad if you slowly taper down and aren't on suboxone for too long like I have been. On the other hand, I believe being on subs is a mistake because you just swap one drug for another and still have to go through WDs and subs can get you high. So, all these doctors say subs is a good idea when it doesn't seem like it so I don't know what to believe from these professionals.

I wish you good luck and I would give yourself at least a couple days off if you can to get through the worst of WDs if they do actually come.
Old 04-10-2013, 19:18
Silver Member

Well I'm on Day 4 (i think) and its not nearly as bad as I had built it up in my head. I had tapered from 16 mg to 1 mg in 4 months and had no symptoms whatsoever in that time. Now that I have taken the jump, I am sick, but it's nothing like dope or methadone withdrawals. I'm having a lot of hot/cold flashes, restless/ cramping legs, general anxiety and mild stomach discomfort, but I dont feel like I'm dying. Granted, I'm really really tired and unable to get anything done, but I suppose that's to be expected. All in all, it's going well.
Old 07-10-2013, 18:08
Silver Member

33 y/o Male from United States
Agent Psycho is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

The variables are the determining factor. How long, how much, male or female, metabolism, exerscice, etc. It seems to me like you will have an easy go of it but just saying that is subjective in that whats easy for me may be hard for you. I also have quit suboxone in the past. 1st time from 8mg a day after 15yrs of opiate use, 3 of which was the subs. This was horrible. Thought I might have a heart attack. would rather have been kicking dope. So I went back on the subs and tapered to .75mg a day aprox dose. This was much easier but still was bad. 14days of hell and then things got better over the next 14 days. 2 months before my sleep came back and I felt normal again. I stayed clean for 6 months but the cravings got the better of me and I slowly slipped back until one morning rescently I realized I was being held hostage by opiates again. My advice would be to get off the suboxone then see if you can get vivitrol shots for a few months. not sure if naltrexone will come up on your urine tests.

I think the best way to kick opiates these days is to go from using to suboxone for about a year tops. kick the suboxone then get the vivitrol shots for another year. This is my next treatment plan.
Old 15-10-2013, 04:42
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
Namaro is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 129, Level: 1 Points: 129, Level: 1 Points: 129, Level: 1
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Psycho View Post
I think the best way to kick opiates these days is to go from using to suboxone for about a year tops. kick the suboxone then get the vivitrol shots for another year. This is my next treatment plan.
I can't agree with this statement more. As a generalization one would never want to be on a drug they don't require for long periods of time. However Being on Subs for 5 years, the complications just kept piling. First it was affecting my urination (Constantly going), then it affected my general self confidence, The worst was the constipation. I'm on Day 14 off the subs and I can get a glimmer of hope that my GI track is righting itself.

The thing i don't believe many realize is when it comes to subs, we are guinea pigs! This is a new drug and yes they did their trials. But when it comes to real world experiences, we need to gauge what is right for us. Work with your doc, figure out your triggers and get off the subs sooner than later. With that said, make sure your ready to make the jump off the subs, otherwise you'll be back at square one.

Best Wishes to all! What a terrible thing we are caught up in, it takes a lot of strength to get through!
Old 21-10-2013, 21:57
Banned

33 y/o Male from United States
destroyevery1 needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate023 View Post
i have been on suboxone for about 9 months and have a script, but i have to get off because i'm going to school to be a nurse and can't have it in my system script or not. Anyways, so i'm on about 1 mg per day. I stopped the day before yesterday and it's not that bad yet. How bad will the w/d's get? I'm concerned because i'm a full time student and work part time. Will i be totally debilitated or is it not that bad coming off 1 mg/ day? Thanks for reading.
dude week or bi weekly drop an eighth or quarter then till ur at an eighth or less easier to do with strips longer u wait harder it is...use benzos before bed for first 10 days or in morning if ur freakin out.stop benzos after ten days to prevent addiction use someone to dispense hide ur meds so u dont binge its easy i was ex heroin addict withdrawl from sub for me was way easy just mentally i wanted to have something everday any1 who says sub withdrawl is worse did garbage heroin or is a pussey

destroyevery1 added 1 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Btw hit me u-p for more info pm if u want

Last edited by destroyevery1; 21-10-2013 at 21:57. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 21-10-2013, 22:28

29 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Hoppipolla should review received reputation comments.
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%

Well done on tapering down your dose!!! I hear about so many people going cold turkey and it's just the biggest facepalm in existence lol

Cold turkey is unpleasant and unnecessary

Post Quality Evaluations:
"biggest facepalm in existence" is a rarely rude statment about addicts who cant taper.
Old 22-10-2013, 02:17

25 y/o Male from United States
SUBsequent01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Hey read your post and thought i could put my .2 cents in. As someone else previously stated, it really does differ from person to person. However just to be on the safe side, if you do start to experience difficult withdrawls maby take .05 mg, if that is a option, and then slowly drop down from there. If this is not a option maby a short term kratom regimen would be beneficial to the withdrawls, just be mindful that kratom addiction is also a very real thing as well. Hope this was of any help to you! Good luck!!!

Share this on:

» New Threads
AM I GONNA DIE??? WHAT DID I DO...
Last post by MethamphetamineMessiah
5 Replies, 304 Views
Slang Terms for Meth?
Last post by The92_QueenB
137 Replies, 35,935 Views
Dancing DMT Entities (Most intense...
Last post by SheEpYW0lf
0 Replies, 11 Views
Kicking the habit.. Making it...