Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Oxycodone
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 03-09-2006, 18:05
Banned

Male
BANGINCOLOR is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Oxycontin Coating Removal Help

SWIM will be getting his 4 o'clock dose of 80mg brand oxycontin and usually he gives it a good whack with a small drinking glass, leaving a nice spiderweb crack in the pill.

He has found that cracking yet keeping it barely together allows the pill, when it releases the oxycodone, to be released into the exact same part of the body. SWIM always assumed totally crushing up the 80 allowed the oxycodone to be dispersed all over his body, lessening the effect. By whacking it yet keeping it barely together, he helps release all the oxycodone all at once BUT it all gets dispersed in the exact same part of the body heightening the effect.....or so he thinks.

Anyway, SWIM always felt the coating had nothing to do with the time release, it is the wax binders that are responsible for the time release.

So many times he reads people talking of scraping off coating and having to reply with the wax theory. Then he got to thinking today........all the roxicodones (pure oxycodone) percocets and such......none of them have a coating on them like oxycontin does.

So now SWIM is starting to think the coating MAY have a little to do with the time release and is posting here for help in properly removing the coating. From what he has read here, seems like soaking the pill for some time in water is the way to go but he doesn't want to ruin the pill when he finally goes to scrape off the coating.

Does anyone have a fool-proof way of getting the coating off without damaging the pill?
Old 03-09-2006, 21:45
Banned

Male
I was wondering why I wasn't getting any replies....until I smudeged the coating off myself. WOW, can't believe how easy it came off, I definitely was planning for more of an effort by me to do so. Observation.

I was always the person that said the coating had nothing to do with the time release, it's all in the wax binder. Then I realized that oc is one of the few if any drugs out there that has a "coating", all other use color dyes but NOW.....after seeing how easy the coating came off and there wasn't much to the coating, I am now returning to the belief that the time release is all binder NO coating.

I mean......that coating just smudged off SUPER easy. I couldn't imagine that little bit of coating having any serious effect towards the time release UNLESS the coating itself does something specific to the digestive juices. Makes them alkaline or acidic or whatever but until I hear different, convincing evidence, I am still of the belief that the time release is all binder, no coating.

To anyone stopping by and wants to know how to quickly remove the coating of an oc tablet.......I dunked it in water for about 2 minutes TOPS. Then, between two fingers just rubbed and rubbed until the coating was gone. Came off very easy, you'll see.
Old 04-09-2006, 00:05
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.
Points: 2,192, Level: 7 Points: 2,192, Level: 7 Points: 2,192, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
the time release is contained in both the coating and the binder. it has to do with a little of each. thats why its necessary to crush the pill to get the full effect of disabling the time release. run some searches on it in the forum, theres alot of threads pertaining to that.

cracking the pill will not release it to one part of the body. it will simply give the pill less surface area to dissolve in the stomach and be uptaken by cell transporters there and in the intestines. so swiy is actually making it less effective by just cracking the pill. more surface area equals faster and more effective absorption. since the drug is taken up by active transporters all over the stomach and intestines, and then delivered to the bloodstream where it can go anywhere in the body (but eventually crosses into the brain or liver), it will not be delivered to just one place if its just cracked. think about it like a glass of salt in water; its dissolved completely, and there isnt a clump of salt being delivered to just one place in the glass.
Old 05-09-2006, 18:55
Banned

Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthesevenlakes
the time release is contained in both the coating and the binder. it has to do with a little of each. thats why its necessary to crush the pill to get the full effect of disabling the time release. run some searches on it in the forum, theres alot of threads pertaining to that.

cracking the pill will not release it to one part of the body. it will simply give the pill less surface area to dissolve in the stomach and be uptaken by cell transporters there and in the intestines. so swiy is actually making it less effective by just cracking the pill. more surface area equals faster and more effective absorption. since the drug is taken up by active transporters all over the stomach and intestines, and then delivered to the bloodstream where it can go anywhere in the body (but eventually crosses into the brain or liver), it will not be delivered to just one place if its just cracked. think about it like a glass of salt in water; its dissolved completely, and there isnt a clump of salt being delivered to just one place in the glass.
Thanks for making my point for me.

Your analogy of salt in water more represents the oc when it's pulveized and as you say of the salt in water "there isn't a clump of salt being delivered to just one place in the glass". That's exactly why I DON'T want to pulverize the oc because it'll end up all over the body, little pieces all over whereas I feel if I just give the oc a good crack but still together, when it sits parked there in the intestines where it gets absorbed into the body, it's the same cells getting and transporting from the same spot in the intestines, taking the oc to the same spot in the body or at least the same spot in the body that transports it to all over the body. I always felt by keeping all those things consistent, it will help amplify the effect of oc. As opposd to taking a pulverized dose of oc and the oc sprinkled all over the intestines, being absorbed from different spots all over the intestines and being transported to different spots all over the body.

Anything to help the effects. SWIM scraped the coating off an 80mg oc, gave it a real good crack but NOT crumbled and SWIM said the effects was noticeably better.
Old 05-09-2006, 19:37
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male
Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.
Points: 2,192, Level: 7 Points: 2,192, Level: 7 Points: 2,192, Level: 7
interesting. sometime when swim has a lower dose of oc aside from the 80s he will try the cracking method.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:55
Silver Member

35 y/o Male
hatzbew is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Re: Oxycontin Coating Removal Help

swim takes care of the coating on oc simply by sucking on the pill for a few seconds...the taste may have to be acquired...but it's worth it....because there are theories that the coating contains fast-acting active ingredients meant to jumpstart the pills effectiveness.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:18

23 y/o Male
opiumcowboy should review received reputation comments.
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1

on the 80 mg oxycontin the coating can simply be peeled off. I would think the water would definately ruin swiy pill. Just scrape it off break into four chunks and throw a chunk on some tin foil and chase it down
Old 05-08-2009, 07:15
Silver Member

35 y/o Male
hatzbew is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiumcowboy View Post
on the 80 mg oxycontin the coating can simply be peeled off. I would think the water would definately ruin swiy pill. Just scrape it off break into four chunks and throw a chunk on some tin foil and chase it down
swim cringes when people use water to wash of the coating.....none of the pill should go to waste.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:32

Male from Canada
TheNewLeft should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

the coating contains roughly 5-10mg of oxy depending on the dosage of the individual pill. the coating releases the initial burst of oxy you get from oxycontins before the time release mechanism starts to work.

for example....if you swallow a 40mg pill intact, the way you are supposed to take them...

5-10mg will be released instantly and the other 30-35mg is bundled up in the time release mechanism...and will be slowly released over the next 12 hours
Old 06-03-2011, 17:12
Silver Member

Male from Earth
ellavader is a decent psychonaut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewLeft View Post
the coating contains roughly 5-10mg of oxy depending on the dosage of the individual pill. the coating releases the initial burst of oxy you get from oxycontins before the time release mechanism starts to work.

for example....if you swallow a 40mg pill intact, the way you are supposed to take them...

5-10mg will be released instantly and the other 30-35mg is bundled up in the time release mechanism...and will be slowly released over the next 12 hours
can anyone confirm wat is being said in the above post to be accurate cuz swim has his doubts.....
Old 06-03-2011, 20:01
Gold Member

43 y/o Male from United Kingdom
jon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medlinejon-q must mainline Medline
Points: 3,676, Level: 9 Points: 3,676, Level: 9 Points: 3,676, Level: 9

^^^

The coating of a pill is generally there to protect the inner pill, extend the shelf life of the pill, and make the pill easier to swallow or to disguise a nasty taste. Coatings have been used in the past and are still used today to delay the release of the active ingredient, but not i think in the case of Oxycodone. They also colour pills to make them more easily identifiable and make them more appealing to the eye. Coatings can even be used to protect the pill whilst it travels into your stomach.

However I’ve yet to come across any information regards a modern day sustained release or controlled release mechanism that contains a % of active ingredient within its outer protective shell.

It’s true however that many time release pills either contain a small percentage <10% of instant release Oxycodone within them and this is contained on the outer edge of the inner pill (underneath the coating) there are some types of pills that also contain two differing time release mechanisms, one releases < 30~40% of the active ingredient in the initial hours following ingestion, whilst the second release rate is released over a period of approx 12 hours, apparently this helps maintain peak plasma levels over a 24hr period:

So i guess one should be careful when removing the coloured coating of the pill and try not to scrape too much off the actual pill itself.

It’s been a while since i did any pill research so any factual corrections would be welcome.

Q
Old 14-03-2011, 11:33
Silver Member

32 y/o Female from Australia
Bella1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1

Alice in wonderland peels an Oxycontin Pill with a very small razor blade, the coating comes off quite easily, she sometimes finds that the oils from her fingers make it easier to remove as well. Alice keeps the coatings in a bowl, caps them when the Oxy is gone and finds that it does have some effect, Alice would have to agree that there is oxycodone in the coating. Alice chooses to peel the Oxy because the coating pieces seem to get stuck in her nose and throat, causing a gag effect she'd rather avoid on top of the yucky drip down the back of the throat.

Alice has also found that the humidity affects how well a pill can be peeled and crushed.

Share this on: