Register Tags

Notices

Opiates & Opioids Opiates & Opioids.

Old 04-08-2013, 20:55

27 y/o Male from United States
DrugsAreBadk is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Am I taking a normal amount of percocet for post op pain?

I had shoulder surgery about two weeks ago and have been taking 120 of 150 mgs a day of oxicodone. My doctor hasn't had a problem with it when I call for refills so I'm under the impression I'm taking a reasonable dose with someone with a decent tolerance to opiates but I just wanted to know what you guys took post op or thought was normal
Old 04-08-2013, 22:10

38 y/o Male from United States
Philneworleans is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Re: Am I taking a normal amount of percocet for post op pain?

I don't know personally but I can tell you my Dad had shoulder surgery a few months back and hated the Percocet. My friend, the dosage you're taking is a one way path to a habit. Believe me, that's something I do have experience with. If I may share with you, I would start weaning a bit, maybe start taking Advil when the pain has subsided a little more and consistently use an icing machine (pumps ice water around the area within a pack) before bed and during the day. As my Dad has said, the recovery was pretty long (he's a 73 year old dude I have 100% respect for) so his recovery time takes longer. That said, you're looking at constipation, hangovers and a detox period ahead that is going to suck so badly. I don't discount the pain you're dealing with - I'm merely suggesting that ideally you should only have to deal with one painful recovery, not two (withdrawal from detox). Good luck

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good advice for the op, using the experiences of your dad as proof of what can happen when pain meds are abused
Old 04-08-2013, 22:28
Titanium Member

Female from Earth
Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,122, Level: 5 Points: 1,122, Level: 5 Points: 1,122, Level: 5

Let me start off by saying that the recommended dose for a person with nil tolerance is around 2.5-5mg every 6 hours.

You ask "Am I taking a normal amount?" ... no you are not taking the "normal" amount because you do not have "normal tolerance". However, your doctor and yourself must have discussed your high tolerance as that is the only way I see a doctor happy at a patient ingesting 150mg daily. I'd say your tolerance was more than "decent".

You don't mention any bad reactions or overdosing in your post so I would probably guess you are at the right dose for your tolerance otherwise you'd know.

I'm still sort of not understanding what you wanna know?

I'd also to like to advise that if the pain is tolerable that you start cutting your dose down little by little. If you don't have an addiction or habit then there's a risk of you developing one if your tolerance keeps rocketing up.
Old 04-08-2013, 23:50
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from USA - Florida
RichInMethadonia is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Were you taking 120 or 150mg's of Oxycodone a day?

I do understand that you have a tolerance (Trust me I used to be prescribed 340mg's of oxycodone a day but it was Roxicodone so it didn't have Acetaminophen) and that you need more oxycodone than non tolerant people for pain relief.

But honestly, just from a harm reduction standpoint and ignoring addiction potential (which is very possible on such a high dose of Oxycodone) if you are taking 150mg's of oxycodone a day and you are NOT taking pills with only oxycodone (Like OxyContin or Roxicodone) than the amount of Acetaminophen you are taking becomes a concern.

You aren't supposed to take more than 4000 mg's of Acetaminophen a day......

If you are taking 12 10mg Percocets with 325mg of Acetaminophen per pill you are taking 3,900mg's of Acetaminophen a day. (And 325mgs of acetaminophen is the LEAST amount of Acetaminophen in Percocet pills so Iam doing this assuming you are taking the least amount but you could be taking up to 750mg's of Acetaminophen per pill if they aren't the 325's)

If you are taking 15 10mg Percocet and they have 325 mgs of acetaminophen per pill than you are taking 4875mg's of acetaminophen per day which is damaging to your liver. You need to be very careful especially if you drink alcohol with your pills.

If you need to take oxycodone for a long time (I notice you sad you have only been taking it 2 weeks) than try to talk to your doctor about using an Oxycodone pill that dosent contain acetaminophen so you can protect your liver.

I have weaned off Oxycodone and even when I was only taking 150mgs a day the withdrawal was HORRIBLE so please be very careful, you don't want to end up being an addict (if you are not one already).

Good luck and I wish you the best
Old 05-08-2013, 01:11
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Moribund is captain of the psychonauts.Moribund is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 229, Level: 2 Points: 229, Level: 2 Points: 229, Level: 2
Activity: 11.8% Activity: 11.8% Activity: 11.8%

Welcome, DrugsAreBadK

Without knowing your tolerance levels it is impossible to answer your question. How much and of what opiate are you normally using and how long have you used it? Have you taken any breaks and if so for how long, before you started taking 120 mg of oxycodone?

That's the kind of information one needs to know in order to assess if the dose one taking is within one's tolerance or is excessive. It's hard for me to imagine your physician starting you on such a dose if he believed you to be opiate nave. However, there are corrupt doctors (especially at some pain clinics in United States) who will prescribe you excessive dosages to get you hooked and keep you coming back for refills

What is the actual name of the drug (which contains oxycodone) are you presribed? Some have suggested 5 mg percocet/endocet/oxycet (and it's true, if so - that would be an excessive and dangerous dose of paracetamol). But I realize that there are other formulations like oxycontine IR for example, with which it wouldn't present this problem.

Last edited by Moribund; 06-08-2013 at 20:01.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:12
Titanium Member

Female from Earth
Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,122, Level: 5 Points: 1,122, Level: 5 Points: 1,122, Level: 5

I didn't even think about the paracetamol.

No doctor Worth his salt will ever recommend taking more than 4 grams of paracetamol a day. Working out the highest available Percocet etc it would seem you are taking too much and I'd be very very shocked at a doctor having no problem with this.

Share this on:

Tags
opiates, oxycodone, percocet, tolerance to opiates