Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 29-07-2013, 07:30

Male from United States
NervanahDewd is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Time between doses of hydrocodone to not become dependent.

Basically this thread is about how much time one should wait in between dosings of hydrocodone in order to avoid dependence. Swim has done hydrocodone once and really enjoyed it. He would like to do it again at some point in his life but absolutely doesn't want to become physically dependent on it. Additionally what dosage would you recommend for a 140lb human? And what drugs go well with hydrocodone? Thanks in advance.

Post Quality Evaluations:
You really have to use a different acronym. Swim is against the rules. You can use anything else, anything, just not swim
Old 29-07-2013, 07:47
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from United States
Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.
Points: 2,981, Level: 8 Points: 2,981, Level: 8 Points: 2,981, Level: 8
Activity: 29.8% Activity: 29.8% Activity: 29.8%
Re: Time between doses of hydrocodone to not become dependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervanahDewd View Post
Basically this thread is about how much time one should wait in between dosings of hydrocodone in order to avoid dependence. Swim has done hydrocodone once and really enjoyed it. He would like to do it again at some point in his life but absolutely doesn't want to become physically dependent on it. Additionally what dosage would you recommend for a 140lb human? And what drugs go well with hydrocodone? Thanks in advance.
I used to take hydros anywhere from 2-5 days every month for about 6-7 months. To get physically dependent, one would have to use on a daily basis for quite some time. Well because you didn't say how many milligrams you took the last time. Then i would say start with a 5mg hydro. I like to smoke weed with opiates. And opiates are my favorite drugs to dip my snuff.
Old 29-07-2013, 08:09
baZING baZING is nu online
On Hiatus

Male from United States
baZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,642, Level: 11 Points: 6,642, Level: 11 Points: 6,642, Level: 11
Activity: 19.6% Activity: 19.6% Activity: 19.6%

There's no magic answer on how to not become dependent on opioids because it's going to be different for everyone. I tend to think that a good rule of thumb is to wait at least as long as it would take to go through acute withdrawals entirely if you were physically dependent (at least one week, up to ten days) before dosing again. This averages out to about the same thing BootyLove said, somewhere around 3 (+/- 1) times a month at most.

Again, though, it depends so highly on the person. A few times a month is not likely to cause anyone a physical dependency, but for your own personal information, the speed at which dependence is formed when taking opioids daily can vary wildly between individuals. I'm only telling you this in case there's ever a time you think you can "afford" to do a few day binge. Maybe you can, but maybe you can't... if you want to avoid dependence and withdrawal. When I was sixteen, I had a pretty big surgery done on my back. I was prescribed 10mg of oxycodone (in Percocet) and was taking it every four hours for five days, every six hours for two days, then 5mg a couple of times a day for two days. After only 9 days total of taking them and after having started off completely opiate naive-- even with my own recovery-induced taper-- I still had trouble stopping immediately. I didn't go into full blown opiate WD after only 9 days of therapeutic use, but I did pour sweat from every hole for two full days and was kicking my legs like a twelve-gram-a-day heroin user. (Figure of speech. A 12-gram-a-day heroin user is most likely a corpse.)

Anyway, like I said, the only reason I'm telling you this is to illustrate how quickly it can happen and the variation between individuals. Most people would not think any dependence could be formed to anything in 9 days, but tell that to my sweat-soaked sheets and blankets kicked to the floor during those two days of hell six years ago.

I also hope I don't have to tell you that the perennial flaw in questions such as these is that the advice we give you can be all true, but it doesn't matter if you end up not being able to follow it. It's easy to say now that you'll have the willpower to only take it a few times a month, but anyone who enjoys the effects of opioids by definition has no idea what will be a year from now. Eventually, willpower means nothing. If you already can't make the decision to not do them in the first place, you can't be sure that you won't "make the decision" (I say so loosely) to try pushing it to 5-6 times a month, then weekends, then weekdays, then daily... you get my drift. I'm just trying to tell you the reality of the situation, because believe me that is it. You may be able to truly restrict your use to just a couple of times a month; some people can. But for all we know a year from now, you may also be a homeless junky with Hepatitis that you contracted from sharing needles.

Just be aware that while those are the extremes of what might happen in this situation (a couple of Vicodin a month versus being a homeless heroin addict), both really are possible. It's just the nature of playing with fire: you might just get burned.

Sorry if I sound like an alarmist, but I believe that to be true and it wouldn't be fair to pretend otherwise.

PS: Please do not use SWIM again. See THIS THREAD for details. We have been allowed to speak in the first-person since late 2011 if we so choose (with the exception of chemistry, cultivation, and drug production), so if you'd like you may now simply say "I" when discussing personal drug use. If you would not like, then you must choose another way to avoid self-incrimination besides using SWIM. It is a poor method and would never hold up in a court of law, especially since the word "SWIM" has become synonymous with "I." This only part of the reason the website is actively phasing out its usage, though. If you are at all confused about this, just read that link I gave you. It will explain everything!

Everything about not using SWIM, anyway...

Last edited by baZING; 29-07-2013 at 08:22.
Old 29-07-2013, 08:24
Silver Member

Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.

Yea i just think god, i'm not an opiate guy. Don't get me wrong, i loooovvvee me some oxycodone. In facg i have 10mg strait oxy, under my tongue right now. The times i did it 2-5 days a month, i had mass access to them but after taking them 3-4 days. I would get sick off them and that would scare me off for awhile. I really tried to habitually use them but i just couldn't, thank god. My brother is still an oxy junkie, he has been for 7 years now.
Old 29-07-2013, 09:01

Male from United States
NervanahDewd is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Thanks for the answers/advice/stories guys very helpful. And I am fully confident in my ability to refrain from using opiates in excess despite my families history. And in regards to the swim thing, I had no idea, my apologies.
Old 29-07-2013, 20:20

Male from United States
themoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%

Yeah there's really no "timetable," in any sense. It all depends on you, as baZING said. I used every day last summer, and through the fall, then took a month break, then used for a month, then took a month break, then used for a couple weeks, then took a two month break...It's been like that for a year. I am stopping now to give my liver a break, and I'm not going to use for a couple of months. It's as simple as that, really. But then again, I have a lot of willpower. I've quit smoking cigarettes for months at a time, and chose to start back up when I was ready. You know yourself better than anyone, and if you know you can handle doing something responsibly, go for it.

With that said, I was watching an opiate addict diary type video on youtube, and the girl was saying she was taking about 10 norcos, five times a day. So, if we're talking 10/325, then that's 100 mgs Hydro, five times a day. THAT'S Hydrocodone addiction. Hydro is probably one of the least addictive opiates there is--physically anyways--so unless you're doing 100 mgs at a time, you're still probably okay. I was doing around 30mg a day, and I was content. You could tell me I'd never get to do hydro again in my life, and I'd be disapointed because it's nice, but I would not suffer.

Long story short, be responsible, and you should be okay.
Old 29-07-2013, 20:51
Silver Member

Male from Earth
Drugfreekid is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 97, Level: 1 Points: 97, Level: 1 Points: 97, Level: 1
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%

There is no perfect time frame.
i am trying to say that it starts once a month schedule, then becomes a scheduled thing that means you have to take it because its that once a month time again and soon enough the unpredictability of addiction takes over and gets rid of that and suddenly its every 2 weeks untill its every 2 hours. I am happy if someone can stick to once a month type of thing. Some people cant and you only learn once you break it whether you are that person or not. Wish you luck and most importantly never break the rules you set in place.

Last edited by Drugfreekid; 31-07-2013 at 00:17.
Old 29-07-2013, 21:13

Male from United States
themoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%

Drugfreekid, with all due respect, I disagree. If someone is able to dictate when and how often they use, that's he complete opposite of addiction. Addiction is having no control over your urges. An example would be disregarding that once a month schedule you planned so you can use the next day because you just can't wait. Thats addiction. To me, what you described is responsible drug use

Post Quality Evaluations:
A brief but logical rebuttal to a somewhat misguided definition of addiction.
Old 29-07-2013, 22:32
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugfreekid View Post
There is no perfect time frame. But one thing i will vouch for is to not set a spacing thing, because eventually its like i just did a gram of coke....okay im done. Untill next month. Next month you do the same thing. Eventually its an every month thing, which may not be bad but its still addiction, because you will use once a month. If you dont want to be addicted, use, but do not think about doing it again. Just wait untill it happens to come into your hands again
This really makes absolutely no sense. A planned once a month use is called recreational use not addiction. Telling someone its ok to use but just wait till it comes into your hands.
What if it comes into their hands everyday or every other day. That kind of use is what leads to an addiction. By planning when you intend to use, is the user controlling their use which means they have control over the drug. An addict has no control over their use.
Old 29-07-2013, 23:04
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 14,963, Level: 17 Points: 14,963, Level: 17 Points: 14,963, Level: 17
Activity: 16.7% Activity: 16.7% Activity: 16.7%

A person can use quite easily once a month, and cuz they feel that they have complete control over their DOC they decide to use twice a month. And still they don't have a problem. Gradually this may go to once a week, then to weekend use, just Saturday and Sunday. Then it becomes Friday until Sunday. By then the after effects of use may be so bloody nasty that you just use a tiny bit on Monday to get you started, and using a little on Thursday night is ok, well it's almost Friday isn't it? Then what do you have? yeah that's right, Tuesday and Wednesday. Generally if you get to that stage you'll just say "fuck it" and use on those days too, why not? So I have to say that there really is no set time that you can allow between each use of your DOC. Even if you have a good grasp on your use in the beginning who knows what you'll do if you hit a hump in the road of life, an emotional problem that you struggle with, pain that you just wanna run from. If you have pills that you know will make that pain disappear, or make the problem easier to deal with would you use it? No you can't really say can you? If I were you I'd do a little more research love and find something less addictive to get a buzz from. The price you may have to pay for just a little chill out time may be a high one. Remember, most addicts never thought of themselves as weak willed, never started using with a desire to become addicted, but most, if they could turn back time, wouldn't start using. I don't mean to come on so heavy but I've seen friends, and quite a few people here on DF (since I've been here) start using opiates thinking they could handle it. I told them that addiction doesn't discriminate, and it doesn't. I just don't wanna see you end up in pain sweetheart. Also in keeping with the harm reduction ethos of the forum I feel it's only right of me to point this out to you. I'm not having a go in any way.

Sparkles.

Last edited by missparkles; 29-07-2013 at 23:07. Reason: Bloody typo innit...again.
Old 31-07-2013, 05:46
Silver Member

I see your point miss sparkles and i guess my point was coming from my own experience with a once a month use of hydrocodone. My buddies mom got a monthly script of hydrocodone 10/325 every month and i would usually buy 6 or 9 of them and i would take 3 of them a day. I couldn't usually afford any more than that. It was nice being able to have a few days a month to be able to work, free of pain, get home and play with my son doing anything he wanted and for as long as he wanted, without my back stopping me.
My experience isn't a fair experience to judge from considering my previous bout with addiction learning from it and having better control of my willpower, than someone who hasn't experienced a terrible addiction. I also know and have known that i'm not an opiate guy, stimulants are more my thing. I apologize drugfree kid for saying your thoughts didn't make any sense.

Share this on:

Tags
addiction, dependence, dosage, hydrocodone, opiate, opioid, vicodin