Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals > Kratom
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Kratom Mitragyna speciosa

Old 27-07-2013, 01:04
Titanium Member

Male from Earth
vervain really adds to the discussion.vervain really adds to the discussion.vervain really adds to the discussion.vervain really adds to the discussion.vervain really adds to the discussion.vervain really adds to the discussion.
Points: 981, Level: 4 Points: 981, Level: 4 Points: 981, Level: 4
Activity: 13.5% Activity: 13.5% Activity: 13.5%
Kratom strains with the longest duration?

One drawback I've found with kratom is the short period of effects, at least for me. Typically a nice dose will have me feeling pretty damn good for about 60-90 minutes total, and then quickly subsiding to just slightly above baseline.

Now, I don't particularly enjoy nodding per se or to be otherwise out of it, but it would be nice to have a somewhat longer experience with the primary euphoric/relaxant effects. When they're gone in a little over an hour and with the taste being so unpleasant - as I've said elsewhere, one might as well have a glass of wine instead.

I've tried mostly "super green malay" and "maeng da". Have read in a couple places that maeng da has a shorter duration than other strains, so I'm curious about which supposedly have the longest. Or do you notice any difference one way or another?
Old 27-07-2013, 01:24
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,839, Level: 21 Points: 21,839, Level: 21 Points: 21,839, Level: 21
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%
Re: Kratom strains with the longest duration?

Its different for everyone. Some people find red vein strains have a longer duration.
I would suggest you order a sample pack from your vendor so you can try a small amount of several different strains and find what works best for you.

Personally i would avoid vendors that sell kratom with prefixes like 'super'
All their kratom should be top notch and they should only be selling the best kratom they can source without charging extra for kratom they deem to be 'stronger'
Old 27-07-2013, 19:47
Titanium Member

Male from Earth
vervain really adds to the discussion.vervain really adds to the discussion.vervain really adds to the discussion.vervain really adds to the discussion.vervain really adds to the discussion.vervain really adds to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianzombie View Post
Personally i would avoid vendors that sell kratom with prefixes like 'super'
All their kratom should be top notch and they should only be selling the best kratom they can source without charging extra for kratom they deem to be 'stronger'
I think whatever the colloquial Malaysian name is for green Malay kratom translates as "super green Malay" (in the same sense that Maeng Da has a rather dubious title when translated). In any event this store doesn't offer "regular" green Malay and they aren't the types to hype up their products with extra adjectives. It's more of an apothecary type shop - I purchase various herbs there for teas and medicinal uses and everything is excellent quality.

A sample pack (or simply a smaller order of several strains) would be my next logical step, just wanted to check if there was any consensus on duration beforehand...

Last edited by vervain; 27-07-2013 at 20:15.
Old 27-07-2013, 20:45
Titanium Member

Male from United States
idfma really adds to the discussion.idfma really adds to the discussion.idfma really adds to the discussion.idfma really adds to the discussion.idfma really adds to the discussion.idfma really adds to the discussion.
Points: 743, Level: 4 Points: 743, Level: 4 Points: 743, Level: 4
Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5% Activity: 8.5%

Extracts--I get a 20x that I like a lot. Lasts me 3-4 hours, easy, and two doses--one in the morning and one in the afternoon last all day. However, I use the substance for blood pressure control and as an anxiolytic, so I'm not looking to space out or get high per se. Higher doses, particularly of an extract will definitely do that, if you can avoid vomiting. I can't use 'regular' kratom plant material because 5-8 gms or more per dose really fucks up my intestines.

Oh and the warnings of addiction? They should be heeded--definitely. Although I have no history of opiate use or abuse, so my withdraw symptoms are sleeplessness (severe) and mild anxiety/tension. However, the mild anxiety/tension was why I started taking it in the first place, so you'll have to infer the chicken/egg side of that for yourself. Enjoy. It's a magical substance that I hope political fear doesn't deprive us of.

I guess dosage might give you a frame of reference? I use half a teaspoon, and that is down from a whole teaspoon--maybe even 3.5 gms per dose--that's a lot (if you're new--start with less--1/4 teaspoon). Half a teaspoon equates to approximately 1.0 to 1.5 gms--I use a little less than a level half teaspoon, but a full teaspoon is roughly 2.5 to 3.0 gms, so I think we're in the ballpark. Ianzombie has a scale, so I would defer to him on the weights. I approach it like I cook, so I use measuring spoons. I measure out the same amount every time, but I stick to volume, I've never measured weight. I've been doing it a very long time, so, if you use an extract, I would recommend starting at a 1/4 teaspoon at most.

Last edited by idfma; 27-07-2013 at 20:57. Reason: dosage clarification
Old 27-07-2013, 21:41
Titanium Member

Male from Earth

Thank you for taking the time to post idfma, but perhaps I wasn't clear in the OP - I'm somewhat experienced with kratom & opiates in general, understand the addiction risks and general dosing ranges. All I was looking for was a consensus of duration vs strain, if there was one. Which from the sound of it there is not.

Though I should stress relating to your post, dosing by weight is the only way to go. As a culinary baker I learned all too well that settling, compression, etc, of powdered material can lead to variations of 30-50% in some cases. A cheap but effective digital scale can be had for $30 USD or equivalent.

Also FWIW I don't bother with extracts, only directly ground leaf material.
Old 28-07-2013, 01:13
Palladium Member

34 y/o Male from United States
rawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 3,431, Level: 8 Points: 3,431, Level: 8 Points: 3,431, Level: 8
Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0%

Green malay is generally considered to be a very long lasting strain. I get effects for several hours from it, however I tend to get long lasting effects from most drugs. I'm lucky that way. Adding the "super" to the front of "green malay" is just marketing. All green malay I've ever had is super, it's my favorite strain.

You could always try just topping up and redosing with small amounts. Redosing can be tricky because if you overdo it you'll get a dopey, nod-off high, and doing it frequently increases the chance of addiction. But it can be very effective. When I do re-dose I usually do so at least 5 hours after the first dose with 1/2 or less the amount of the first dose (for me usually 2g to start, 1g later).

There may be a longer-lasting strain than malay but I don't know of it.
Old 28-07-2013, 02:16
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from United States
Dankfish is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 296, Level: 2 Points: 296, Level: 2 Points: 296, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Honestly, I'm surprised any strain would you have you coming down around an hour later. You might simply not pair well with the plant. Do try other strains because the ones you listed are considered the more speedy strains. Maybe a Bali or Indonesian strain would be better for you.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:45
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from United States
Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 429, Level: 3 Points: 429, Level: 3 Points: 429, Level: 3
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%

How much are you taking? Maeng Da is usually pretty short lasting, but Green Malay usually is longer in the duration of effects. Also, I have found that smaller doses (3-4 grams for me) have a shorter duration of effects than higher doses (5-6 grams). With 3-4 grams of most strains the effect lasts about 60-90 minutes with a sharp taper- similar to what you have experienced. I have experienced the longest effects by using about 5 grams (usually Bali or Red Vein Borneo mixed with some Green Malay) plus 1-2 grams of Stem & Vein. This produces a pretty euphoric & sedative state that lasts for several hours until I am ready to go to bed.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:38
Silver Member

Male from United States
Netizen is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Cimetidine (brand name Tagamet) is an acid reducer that inhibits the enzyme responsible for breaking down kratom alkaloids (and most other opiates). It's a well known opiate potentiator and I've found it noticeably increases the duration of the kratom high. Take 1-2 pills about an hour before your kratom should be best.

And always remember to take kratom on an empty stomach.

Netizen added 0 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Cimetidine (brand name Tagamet) is an acid reducer that inhibits the enzyme responsible for breaking down kratom alkaloids (and most other opiates). It's a well known opiate potentiator and I've found it noticeably increases the duration of the kratom high. Take 1-2 pills about an hour before your kratom should be best.

And always remember to take kratom on an empty stomach.

Last edited by Netizen; 05-08-2013 at 05:38. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-08-2013, 08:50

37 y/o Male from Earth
malusdesmodus is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

FYI Tagamet is a mild inhibitor of CYP2D6. So while it is good for CYP3A4 because it also inhibits the prior mentioned enzyme, it really isn't as good as the reputation it seems to have on many information sites.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:31
Silver Member

Male from Earth
thirdeyelasik is captain of the psychonauts.thirdeyelasik is captain of the psychonauts.thirdeyelasik is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%

I agree with others that have stated that Green Malaysian strains for some reason tend to last longer in many users. The effects of Green Malay don't have the deep bottom end of Red Vein Borneo/Bali but the added stimulation it provides is a fair trade off. I have found a form called Red Papua Reserve that lasts the longest for me but not sure of how popular it is or even if it is a legit strain outside my guy.

Share this on:

Tags
duration, kratom, kratom duration, kratom strains