Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Alcohol addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Alcohol addiction Support for coping with Alcohol addiction and Alcohol addiction treatment.

Old 24-07-2013, 05:37

34 y/o Female from United States
Sweett1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Does alcohol addiction lead to other addictions?

Just trying to get as much advice that i can regarding a guy i was seeing whom i think has an issue with alcohol but i believe is in denial as he said he does not have an addictive personality. I recently saw a mugshot of him online for posession of marijuana. He told me he stopped smoking it but i really don't know. I know he smokes black and milds and i read that these are stronger than cigarretes is this true!? I noticed when he drinks after each drink or during he has to smoke the black and milds.
Watching him drink 10-15 vodka/tonics and several shots of patron in one night was a little nerve wracking for me and it just never seemed like he could get enough alcohol. Isnt the amount he consumed dangerous? I don't see this guy anymore because his actions have caused him to blackout and pee in places other than the toilet but i'm trying to get as much input as i can so i will never think about turning back or considering someone else with this behavior. 4 lokos are also his drink of choice. I'm not sure how long he's been drinking but with the volume he consumed i'd have to say he's been drinking for a long time.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:39

Female from Earth
Tuerpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Re: Does alcohol addiction lead to other addictions?

I don't think alcohol usage/abuse leads to other addictions. Some people are just into multiple substances. Me, I've been drinking on and off for ten years, and outside of trying pot once for insomnia (it kept me up) I have had no wish to try anything else. Better the devil you know type of thing, y'know?

That said, if I were in your shoes and saw someone polishing that much alcohol, I'd turn and run in the opposite direction. You sound like a healthy person. Unless you are a codependent masochistic wannabe, let this one go and wait for a healthy person to come along.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good advice.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:12
Titanium Member

42 y/o Male from Australia
out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.
Points: 2,306, Level: 7 Points: 2,306, Level: 7 Points: 2,306, Level: 7
Activity: 4.1% Activity: 4.1% Activity: 4.1%

Most people with a drinking problem or other addictions will say they don't have a problem. But if you witnessed the problem then there it is right in front of you. That doesn't necessarily mean someone who drinks a lot will be taking other drugs though.

Many alcoholics just drink. But everybody is different too. It really depends on what you are looking for. if you want someone who doesn't drink or take drugs then don't go out with those people. It's as simple as that.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:04
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from Earth
MoreMoreMore is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Activity: 9.1% Activity: 9.1% Activity: 9.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweett1979 View Post
Just trying to get as much advice that i can regarding a guy i was seeing whom i think has an issue with alcohol but i believe is in denial as he said he does not have an addictive personality. I recently saw a mugshot of him online for posession of marijuana. He told me he stopped smoking it but i really don't know. I know he smokes black and milds and i read that these are stronger than cigarretes is this true!? I noticed when he drinks after each drink or during he has to smoke the black and milds.
Watching him drink 10-15 vodka/tonics and several shots of patron in one night was a little nerve wracking for me and it just never seemed like he could get enough alcohol. Isnt the amount he consumed dangerous? I don't see this guy anymore because his actions have caused him to blackout and pee in places other than the toilet but i'm trying to get as much input as i can so i will never think about turning back or considering someone else with this behavior. 4 lokos are also his drink of choice. I'm not sure how long he's been drinking but with the volume he consumed i'd have to say he's been drinking for a long time.
I don't really buy into the 'gateway drug' philosophy.

I believe that people are either addicts/alcoholics or that they possess addictive personalities or some type of disease/allergy, or they don't. End of story.

So I would answer your question twofold:

1. Yes, alcohol leads to other addictions as a means to intensify or cope with alcohol. For example, benzos are a godsend for any alcoholic, as they don't smell, are easy to conceal/carry and help an alkie function through his/her normal day without having to drink or shake like a twig; also, they ward off the DT's and are perhaps the only DT/seizure/death remedy.

2. In order to keep drinking, there's nothing like some up. Cocaine, meth, whatever your poison is, you'll find it if you're an alcoholic. Whatever keeps you going and gets you off. I can guarantee that the vast majority of alcoholics are also taking other substances. Even Bill W. himself was taking large amounts of benzos in order to cope (and I thought, at one time, that I had invented the idea myself, lol).

I'm not sure if this answers your question or not, but I hope it sheds some light on alcoholism/addiction, because the two are inseparable imo.
Old 07-08-2013, 22:59
Titanium Member

Male from Australia
PianoHarry really adds to the discussion.PianoHarry really adds to the discussion.PianoHarry really adds to the discussion.PianoHarry really adds to the discussion.PianoHarry really adds to the discussion.PianoHarry really adds to the discussion.
Points: 669, Level: 4 Points: 669, Level: 4 Points: 669, Level: 4
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%

I can't really say whether alcohol led to other drugs; alcohol was my drug of choice and I would use other drugs either in combination, or instead of alcohol if I couldn't drink.

What is really important is my mindset, or my emotion-set, for want of a word, when I was drinking:

When I was a teenager I was painfully shy, like so many, and never seemed to fit in. Millions of kids are like this, but when I took a drink all that went away. I was George Clooney. Add a powerful craving that kicked in after a couple of drinks making it impossible to stop and all the ingredients for alcoholism were there.

Then I did things when I was drinking, and in order to get a drink, that caused me shame. I grew to hate myself. Meanwhile the fears and anxieties grew.

The short story is that I would do anything to avoid feeling the way I felt. I simply had to escape my own skin. Drugs other than alcohol had been in my arsenal pretty much from the start. But whatever drug I was using it took more and more of it to get the desired effect.

Finally I was drinking and using in desperation. My whole life was a web of lies, burnt bridges, anger, frustration and fear. I would use anything in any quantities to settle this pain in my life. The big irony is that by now all the pain was coming from my drinking and drugging.

And I was so lonely, but so scared of rejection that I couldn't do anything about it. I could be lonely in a crowded room but the booze had always helped this. But now, at the end, nothing was working.

This is the way it went for me. Drinking and drugging often went hand in hand. I had once said, "I'll never use a needle," but I finished up shooting up daily. I had to escape. Of course I didn't know it at the time, that I was trying to escape; I hadn't had an abused childhood. There had been no molestations or beatings. If you had told me at the time I was trying to escape I would have said, "Escape what?" For the truth was hidden: I wanted to escape myself. I hated myself. And for absolutely no good reason.

Sorry if I have gone way off track. In answer to the question, 'Is alcohol a gateway drug?' I have to say that for me it could have gone either way. I just happened to be exposed to alcohol first. Other drugs came along but could well have been my primary escape had I been exposed to them first. It wasn't so much the chemical but what it did.

I hope this has helped. It has been 15 years since I had a drink and my recovery has been checkered but I have grown. It has been good for me to write this, to remember what it was like, and how much better it is now.
Old 08-08-2013, 00:55
Palladium Member

38 y/o Female from United Kingdom
una_cavaletta really adds to the discussion.una_cavaletta really adds to the discussion.una_cavaletta really adds to the discussion.una_cavaletta really adds to the discussion.una_cavaletta really adds to the discussion.una_cavaletta really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,714, Level: 6 Points: 1,714, Level: 6 Points: 1,714, Level: 6
Activity: 3.9% Activity: 3.9% Activity: 3.9%

I think it does not *have* to, but the example of benzodiazepines given above, a tool that is often given to alcoholics to help detox without risk of seizures, the temptation to switch from one to the other is strong.

When I first quit drinking, I began smoking cannabis to help with the cravings and anxiety. But increasingly I smoked more and more, and soon, it was just as much a problem as alcohol regarding my physical, emotional and financial health.

These are just two examples - any addiction swapping is a risk when quitting a substance. But it does not have to be that way...I guess it all depends and the sad thing is, you won't really know until you realise you've got another problem.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Accurate, true and to the point. Thanks
Old 13-08-2013, 09:50
Silver Member

31 y/o Male from United States
warpedvision is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I think it depends on your lifestyle and how heavy and chronic of a drinker you are, as to whether or not it's a gateway drug for some one. If you're drinking every day, heavy, or staying drunk worse yet every day heavily, then you won't care really about living or anything and will DEFINITELY want some thing stronger. And each time you drink, it can happen so easily because the drink is friendly when you have it, it's relaxing, makes you think you can handle whatever.
Old 22-08-2013, 14:23
Titanium Member

Male from Earth
A_Grant probably knows what they are talking about.A_Grant probably knows what they are talking about.A_Grant probably knows what they are talking about.A_Grant probably knows what they are talking about.A_Grant probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 492, Level: 3 Points: 492, Level: 3 Points: 492, Level: 3
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%

I think that some alcoholics do have an addictive personnality, which can be seen in the high number of alcoholics that turn to BDZ after tapering down alcohol.

But alcoholism is a multifacet disease that is not fully understood (some might even say not understood AT ALL). For some, alcohol is the only drug around.

I don't consider myself an alcoholic, but I sometimes turn to problematic patterns of consumption. If not carefull, I could very well become an alcoholic. But altough I used BDZ chronically for years (under medical supervision) for insomnia, never would I exceed the prescribed dosage. Similarly, I have tryied some other drugs (H and crack) and hated the feeling.

Bottom line is, for alcoholics displaying symptoms of addicitve personnality there can be multidependance. If alcoholism is a symptom of some comorbid psychiatric disorder (like depression or anxiety) than this can also lead to multi-dependance.

But for some, alcohol is just THE drug, and they would never use something else, even given the opportunity.
Old 24-08-2013, 01:59
Silver Member

37 y/o Male from Earth
walder is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I can say this from my personal experiences. Physically alcohol dependent person doesn't need / search anything other than alcohol. Because body wants alcohol.

A am an alcoholic but sober now. On active times, all i want was alcohol. Some times my friends were coming my house to smoke weed. I did some times, also enjoyed but generally wait for some hour to lost its effect and drink clearly. Also one time one friend bring coke. I liked it really, but soon i wait to get some alcohol.

For an alcoholic, nothing is important than alcohol. Doesn't need or search anything, just alcohol.

But after abstinence and be sober for long time. He mises its good efects (forget bads) and may try to get high or booze with other drugs (legal or illegal).

But this is my own opinions and experiments from around.
Old 24-08-2013, 02:52
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
Beenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline Medline
Points: 5,133, Level: 10 Points: 5,133, Level: 10 Points: 5,133, Level: 10
Activity: 30.6% Activity: 30.6% Activity: 30.6%

Hey Everyone-

I too am a recovered alcoholic. I was equally enamored by both alcohol and weed. After giving up drinking completely, I still used weed daily for another ten years. After giving both up, I was introducted to methadone, through pain management; funny, though I became physically addicted to methadone (then quit), I never developed what you'd call a taste for opiates.

On the other hand, marijuana was my first illegal, teen drug-love relationship. Alcohol use came about later, in my early 20's. After 20 years free of alcohol, I no longer crave drink. Yet my fondness for weed still remains. Perhaps, like so many other drug issues, our choices are highly individualized. That would be my best guess.

So, does alcohol lead to other drug use? Yes, when you're intoxicated, since when you're drunk you can be open to most anything ("Hey, want to get naked, snort some Drano and walk on the edge of the roof, for kicks? SURE!"). If, as both Una and Out_there said, you have an addictive personality, then anything is possible. On the other (third) hand, if you only crave alcohol, you're probably safe from other addictions, once you get sober.

Does that make sense? It's just my 1 1/2 cents worth
Old 27-08-2013, 02:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuerpe View Post
I don't think alcohol usage/abuse leads to other addictions. Some people are just into multiple substances. Me, I've been drinking on and off for ten years, and outside of trying pot once for insomnia (it kept me up) I have had no wish to try anything else. Better the devil you know type of thing, y'know?

That said, if I were in your shoes and saw someone polishing that much alcohol, I'd turn and run in the opposite direction. You sound like a healthy person. Unless you are a codependent masochistic wannabe, let this one go and wait for a healthy person to come along.
Thanks for the advice. I won't be seeing him anymore. The peeing on my carpet was so awful on his part and after i told him about how he blacked out from being drunk and was sleep walking to pee on my floor.. He blocked my number as if i'd made it all up....

Sweett1979 added 8 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoHarry View Post
I can't really say whether alcohol led to other drugs; alcohol was my drug of choice and I would use other drugs either in combination, or instead of alcohol if I couldn't drink.

What is really important is my mindset, or my emotion-set, for want of a word, when I was drinking:

When I was a teenager I was painfully shy, like so many, and never seemed to fit in. Millions of kids are like this, but when I took a drink all that went away. I was George Clooney. Add a powerful craving that kicked in after a couple of drinks making it impossible to stop and all the ingredients for alcoholism were there.

Then I did things when I was drinking, and in order to get a drink, that caused me shame. I grew to hate myself. Meanwhile the fears and anxieties grew.

The short story is that I would do anything to avoid feeling the way I felt. I simply had to escape my own skin. Drugs other than alcohol had been in my arsenal pretty much from the start. But whatever drug I was using it took more and more of it to get the desired effect.

Finally I was drinking and using in desperation. My whole life was a web of lies, burnt bridges, anger, frustration and fear. I would use anything in any quantities to settle this pain in my life. The big irony is that by now all the pain was coming from my drinking and drugging.

And I was so lonely, but so scared of rejection that I couldn't do anything about it. I could be lonely in a crowded room but the booze had always helped this. But now, at the end, nothing was working.

This is the way it went for me. Drinking and drugging often went hand in hand. I had once said, "I'll never use a needle," but I finished up shooting up daily. I had to escape. Of course I didn't know it at the time, that I was trying to escape; I hadn't had an abused childhood. There had been no molestations or beatings. If you had told me at the time I was trying to escape I would have said, "Escape what?" For the truth was hidden: I wanted to escape myself. I hated myself. And for absolutely no good reason.

Sorry if I have gone way off track. In answer to the question, 'Is alcohol a gateway drug?' I have to say that for me it could have gone either way. I just happened to be exposed to alcohol first. Other drugs came along but could well have been my primary escape had I been exposed to them first. It wasn't so much the chemical but what it did.

I hope this has helped. It has been 15 years since I had a drink and my recovery has been checkered but I have grown. It has been good for me to write this, to remember what it was like, and how much better it is now.
I think u make a good point. The guy i refer to in my post drunk and got wasted like that while we were on a suposed date so i thought u know maybe he drunk like that because he was nervous or shy...who knows but i've never seen someone do that. It just seemed like he wanted to keep drinking i mean already having 15 drinks and then he went and bought a 4 loko which i thought was pointless and to pee on my floor from sleepwalking!!! I also thought it was strange for him to block my number after i told him what he did when he blacked out but i guess he was in denial or extremely embarrased!

Sweett1979 added 6 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenthere2Hippie View Post
Hey Everyone-

I too am a recovered alcoholic. I was equally enamored by both alcohol and weed. After giving up drinking completely, I still used weed daily for another ten years. After giving both up, I was introducted to methadone, through pain management; funny, though I became physically addicted to methadone (then quit), I never developed what you'd call a taste for opiates.

On the other hand, marijuana was my first illegal, teen drug-love relationship. Alcohol use came about later, in my early 20's. After 20 years free of alcohol, I no longer crave drink. Yet my fondness for weed still remains. Perhaps, like so many other drug issues, our choices are highly individualized. That would be my best guess.

So, does alcohol lead to other drug use? Yes, when you're intoxicated, since when you're drunk you can be open to most anything ("Hey, want to get naked, snort some Drano and walk on the edge of the roof, for kicks? SURE!"). If, as both Una and Out_there said, you have an addictive personality, then anything is possible. On the other (third) hand, if you only crave alcohol, you're probably safe from other addictions, once you get sober.

Does that make sense? It's just my 1 1/2 cents worth

I can see what u are saying. I think its best i don't deal with him anymore. I think he has other issues within that i'm not aware of and maybe he's not comfortable with himself or feels inadequate. I do know his dad wasn't in his life, he lives at home with his mom (maybe because he spends all of his money on booze) he has had a dui before, been arrested for the marijuana possession, has 2 kids he doesnt see that live thousands of miles away from him.

Last edited by Sweett1979; 27-08-2013 at 02:05. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 27-08-2013, 02:16
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
Beenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline Medline
Points: 5,133, Level: 10 Points: 5,133, Level: 10 Points: 5,133, Level: 10
Activity: 30.6% Activity: 30.6% Activity: 30.6%

I think you're wise, Sweetie. With the amouint of turmoil this guy has already drummed up in his past life, unless he gets sober he's most likely to only dole out more of the same to whomever happens to be in his current life as well. Even if/when he does get sober, it will quite a mental/emotional battle back from long-term alcohol abuse.

You'd be better off looking around for someone else. If you liked certain aspects of the guy (understandable) find a non-alcoholic guy with the same basic qualities. There's a lot of fish in the sea. And they are not are pickled fish...

Best of luck~
Old 02-09-2013, 14:24

The sad part is, i kept telling myself he can't be an alcohic and he just got carried away but then i think about the sleepwalking and peeing on my floor and i got no apology for it because in his mind he did not do it because he does not remember. I did like some things about him which is why i didn't want to even think he's an alcoholic but thinking about it more he doesn't seem very responsible and to drink that much while out on a date kinda showed me he didn't care about trying to
Impress me. I kinda think he had been drinking before he even got here for the date which is really bad. I also really think he is in serious denial and does not see his issues as a problem. Every one i have told this to say i deserve better and another friend even told me that the way he drinks is probably his normal behavior and that wasn't his first time consuming that much alcohol and when that friend told me that it really made me think.
Old 02-09-2013, 14:38
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.Alien Sex Fiend really adds to the discussion.
Points: 938, Level: 4 Points: 938, Level: 4 Points: 938, Level: 4
Activity: 53.4% Activity: 53.4% Activity: 53.4%

yes and no. if you are trying to substitute for something and get dependent then yes. like say, you are bored and you start smoking pot, you are addicted to pot after a while. next thing pot starts giving you anxiety and you are not enjoying the high. you start looking for different ways to get high and the closest is the bottle. because alcohol numbs you instead of making you excited in the head like cannabis, because of that you always over-consume your vodka. now you dink every second day to get drunk, and you ve got a dependence. thats my story. then i switched to cigarettes cause these go very well with booze and next i went onto painkillers. now im clean-ish. have a few drinks of finlandia once a week and going back onto pot. moral lesson: don't try to substitute for things that cannot be substituted for
Old 04-09-2013, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Sex Fiend View Post
yes and no. if you are trying to substitute for something and get dependent then yes. like say, you are bored and you start smoking pot, you are addicted to pot after a while. next thing pot starts giving you anxiety and you are not enjoying the high. you start looking for different ways to get high and the closest is the bottle. because alcohol numbs you instead of making you excited in the head like cannabis, because of that you always over-consume your vodka. now you dink every second day to get drunk, and you ve got a dependence. thats my story. then i switched to cigarettes cause these go very well with booze and next i went onto painkillers. now im clean-ish. have a few drinks of finlandia once a week and going back onto pot. moral lesson: don't try to substitute for things that cannot be substituted for
Wow ok, well the guy i speak of has a cigarette smoking habit to that seems to worsen with alcohol. Vodka and tonic water is his drink of choice.., i've never tried this but sounds strong...oh well i feel bad for the next woman who tries to tolerate him
Old 06-09-2013, 13:43
Silver Member

Male from United States
Vivix is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 110, Level: 1 Points: 110, Level: 1 Points: 110, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

I started smoking marijuana before I started drinking.
Old 14-10-2013, 18:51

29 y/o Male from Netherlands
Axivm23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

I believe you can't just quit any addiction, you trade them in for some other.

best case is that you trade a bad one(drugs) for a healthy one(sports).

ps: ive used eveything under the sun, and being a geneticly vurnerable addict, ive mixed drugs and swapped addictions alot. i make myself believe one drug is the cure for the other.

Share this on: