Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Oxycodone
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 07-07-2013, 03:01

29 y/o Male from United Kingdom
BR1984 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
How much Oxycodone to be a Junkie?

Hi,

I am prescribed 5MG Oxynorm (Oxycodone) Capsules and am allowed 4 a day. I take these for migraine headaches that are so severe even Morphine wasn't successful in combating them. Some will think it's over the top, being on such a drug for migraines but when nothing else has worked properly other than Dihydrocodeine (then that stopped working as well) I need this drug.

I have taken 20MG each evening for about 9 or 10 days now and feel an addiction coming on, a bad addiction such as I feel a craving for the drug throughout the day (even though I don't need it for pain all the time, especially in the day - I never take it in the day) and find myself counting the hours down till it is 11PM when I go to chill and take Diazepam and Oxycodone - just a small dose of Diazepam with it usually, 5MG and then I take another 20MG Diazepam to sleep.

Tonight however, I have been stressed out and ended up taking 15MG Diazepam, 20MG Oxycodone and 30MG Dihydrocodeine and will take another 20MG Diazepam when I go to sleep with 3.75MG Zopiclone and 150MG Seroquel.

I can control my cravings and I will simply not give into them during the day. I wondered how much or how often one would need to be taking Oxy to become a Junkie? Like wake up and first thing you do is take a pill or two?

I don't consider myself a junkie right now as I am not abusing my prescription whatsoever but don't know whether to go back to the Dihydrocodeine which is 30MG pills and I was on 5 so 150MG a day. This did work but started to get a lot of tolerance so it would wear off very quick and the effect wasn't as strong but I didn't want to up the dose even more cos I started on 3 and initially it worked on 2 or 3 but then, over a few months I needed to increase to 5 which my doctor was completely happy with.

Due to the Oxycodone, I have to pick up my prescription every 2 weeks rather than every month because my Doctor simply cannot write out a prescription for 112 capsules - only 56 because of being regulated and migraines isn't a good enough reason apparently to be on 20MG daily but I can obviously be on 10MG and get the prescription once a month. This is not a problem but proof of how bad/addictive this drug is.

Would you recommend going back to Dihydrocodeine and asking for say 8 pills a day or sticking with the Oxycodone - have got used to drowsiness feeling now and I am absolutely fine on them and feel okay with them too. They don't get me high, they just dull my pain a lot and I feel in a better mood too as it is an Opioid.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2013, 07:22
Mercury Member

24 y/o Male from United States
BudBarsBlues needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Re: How much Oxycodone to be a Junkie?

First Off, Good Job Seeking Advice...very mature and smart.

Your not a junkie but the path your going down will soon lead you to become a junkie. I use Oxycodone recreationally 1-2 times a week. I'm not in pain I just like getting high. I don't smoke weed, I hate alcohol this is my drug. When I first started (less than 2 years ago) I could take a 10 MG Percocet and feel incredible... Then I moved it up to 15 MG and take another 5 MG to keep the high up. I did this within a week of starting. By the end of that month I would wake up and take 30 MG of Percocet. I took about a six month break when I finished the bottle of Percocet I acquired an the reason I didn't seek more was because I was having horrible WD's after basically a little over a month of using. When I started up again I was taking a much more potent form of Oxy, it's called Roxicodone. The first time I took a 15 MG of this and literally was on the bathroom floor of my HS and came in my pants with no effort whatsoever. I still use the Roxy's and I'm up to about 60 MG to get high (Price removed).
To me a junkie isn't someone who uses drugs it's someone who feels a high and it's all they think about. Which is what you've described to me. Also the combining of other drugs with the Oxy isn't just not safe but is intensify the high and addictive qualities of your Oxycodone. My recommendation is to take the Oxy during the day while you would feel the migraines the most and take the Diazepam at night for your sleep. Also understand that Diazepam is a 24 hour acting Benzodiazepine so taking it at night will help with anxiety all through out the next day. That's what it was made to do. I'm also not sure what type of Oxycodone medication your taking.

Are you taking a Percocet which contains Oxycodone and Acetaminophen, are you taking a Roicodone, which is pure Oxycodone HCL, or are you taking an time released Oxycodone such as OxyContin. I'm not sure which of these OxyNorm is which is why I'm asking lol. I have much experience with Opiates just not that one. I would suggest the time released like OxyContin combined with perhaps a tylenol. I suggest to take it in the morning.

Your saying you could take 4 a day. I think you should just ask your doc for a stronger dose if it's time released. This way you can take just one a day. That's what time released Oxy is made for. So you take 1 and done. If you happen to feel pain start to come back than take tylenol. Not another Oxy.

Trust me when I tell you if you actually FEEL the ADDICTION coming...your lucky. Turn BACK now.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good harm reduction advice from experience.
Price discussion is strictly against the rules of DF, and you state quite explicitly what you pay for your pills. At this point you have been here long enough to know that.
Please re-read the rules of the forum. Especially regarding price discussion.

Last edited by Smeg; 30-07-2013 at 11:58. Reason: Price discussion.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:22

Hi mate, thanks for the reply.

I am taking OxyNorm which contains just Oxycodone and filler, no APAP. I always take my main pills at night so I can relax as well. I take an anti psychotic and a beta blocker for blood pressure in the day and the rest of it at night.

I wish I could take the Diazepam in the day but I would want it at night too! in a bit of a rut here.

Will try just to keep the Oxycodone at 20MG and no more I think I can do it.

BR1984 added 0 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

Also, my sleep pattern is messed up, I sleep from 4 or 5AM till 4PM or so due to liking being awake when it's dark and leading me to sleep all day.

BR1984 added 330 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

Note also that I don't smoke weed (anymore) used to have a stupid VERY heavy habit of 2 ounces a week and it cost me too much, including making my mental health deteriorate and I had to stop due to extreme paranoia which turned into Psychosis and consequently a Paranoid Skizophrenia diagnosis. I mainly smoked weed (skunk and hasish) but did also take E and MDMA sometimes and I did Cocaine also and Ketamine one time - never again though. Don't even like going to clubs now in case I get spiked with a party drug.

I much prefer downers to uppers these days and want a relaxed life all round. I used to have a heavy alcohol habit too, drinking everyday and at it's worst it was 12 beers and 1/4 bottle of Vodka each night. Used to wake up sweating and my bed sheet would be sodden wet. I am glad those day's are long gone. This is part of the reason I crossed over from Lorazepam (Ativan) to Diazepam (Valium) due to needing something to stop me shaking and calm me down a bit when cutting down alcohol and to stop a risk of seizures.

I am in the UK (England) and over here we don't get the drugs you mention from our Doctor's such as Roicodone or tylenol. We have Paracetamol which works for some headaches and Ibuprofen as an anti inflammatory drug here.

I was very tired today as I had taken 40MG in total of Diazepam last night with 20MG Oxycodone and 30 or 60MG Dihydrocodeine, think it was only one pill actually. (30MG) I had to go back to bed in the day after I woke up as it felt I hadn't had enough sleep.

I also take Quetiapine (Seroquel) 150MG and Zopiclone 3.75MG (got half way or more off this sleeping pill which I am proud of as it is said to be as addictive if not more so than some Benzodiazepine's!) sorry, going completely off topic now.

I will however deal with the cravings and drink some Fanta or some drink with sugar in to feel a little better (can get a slight upper feeling off sugar me!) it is good being sensitive to things like that.

BR1984 added 0 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

I realise that mixing Oxycodone (Oxynorm) and Diazepam can be unsafe but I have a tolerance to Diazepam having been on Benzo's everyday since 2004 so a good 9 years now. Been on Lorazepam (Ativan) Temazepam (Restroril?) and diazepam.

Last edited by BR1984; 08-07-2013 at 02:22. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-07-2013, 02:35

Male from United States
IndieVisible needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

5mg is nothing, you would need to take 3-4 of them to feel any thing.

I like to crush those babies and snort it.

totally irrelevant to the OPs question, in fact you're actually encouraging addiction
Please take a look at the rules! It will help you out alot.
Didn't answer OP's question, gave harmful advice to someone not seeking it.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:52
Titanium Member

Male from United States
DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.
Points: 1,174, Level: 5 Points: 1,174, Level: 5 Points: 1,174, Level: 5
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%

What a junkie is is in the eye of the beholder.

My definition of a junkie is:
- an addict
- puts drug use ahead of everything else
- has financial/family/social/health problems as a result of drug use but continues to use
- is a non functioning member of society; does not have a job or responsibilities

As far as addiction worries it certainly seems like it could become a problem; especially since you are preoccupied with the drugs you use (you count down the time for your next dose). If you are following your prescription like you are supposed to I cant really say you are an addict of oxycodone but the cravings for the drug could be a problem in the future.

My suggestion? Cut down your daily usage if you're worried about it because it will only be harder the longer you use it.

great advice!!!
Excellent points made throughout, none more than the first sentence
Excellent explanation and good advice given.
Old 08-07-2013, 22:04
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
Jealsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%

I wouldn't say you're a junkie, I'd say you're probably opiate dependent. I've always considered a junkie as someone who takes beyond what is prescribed if you're in pain management, or someone who moves on to IM/IV use, or someone who lies about their use, tries to hide it, and will do anything to get high.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:29

If you read my post again you will see I have 5MG Capsules but am prescribed 4 a day - a total of 20MG so it is more significant than just 5MG, although this drug can be addictive in any dose IMO.

I personally can't get an effect off 10MG properly, let alone 5MG due to a tolerance with Dihydrocodeine, I think. I have never crushed them and snorted them, although I have thought of doing it and might sometime just to see how good it is.

I do not want to undo the capsule and put the powder on foil and smoke it however, that is to me, using prescription drugs in a completely different way than intended. I know this contradicts what I said about snorting it but I feel snorting it isn't as bad as smoking it although anyway of taking this stuff is addictive, full stop.

I have snorted Lorazepam (Ativan) with good results so this is why snorting Oxycodone seems like a good way of experimenting but would that make me a Junkie? I think it would personally.

I definitely am dependent on Opioid's because I was on Dihydrocodeine (DF118s) before the Oxycodone and have been on Opioid's for many months now; Codeine, Tramadol, Morphine pills, Morphine Liquid, Oxycodone and Dihydrocodeine so I also have a bit of experience with each drug and Oxycodone and know the basics such as never drink on it and I don't do that.

I definitely would NEVER inject a drug, ever. I hate needles to start with and would never get into that because I have seen so many lives ruined and people overdosing from Injecting drugs.

BR1984 added 6 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

My definition of a junkie is:
- an addict - I am definitely dependent
- puts drug use ahead of everything else - I don't do this as I use the Oxynorm in the evening and live normally during the day, although I do get cravings.
- has financial/family/social/health problems as a result of drug use but continues to use - I get mine on prescription and I am on benefits so all my medication is free here in England.
- is a non functioning member of society; does not have a job or responsibilities - I don't have a job because I am on sickness benefits due to Paranoid Skizophrenia and other mental illnesses.

Many thanks for your replies guys. I appreciate your time greatly and will consider my feeling better from taking the pills is just a side effect and not why I take them.

BR1984 added 6 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

I was much better today and didn't count the time down at all, just tried to keep occupied and didn't think of it too much.

Your honesty is refreshing and I commend you for your conscientiousness

Last edited by BR1984; 09-07-2013 at 01:29. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-07-2013, 02:11
Titanium Member

48 y/o Female from USA - Michigan
carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,127, Level: 5 Points: 1,127, Level: 5 Points: 1,127, Level: 5
Activity: 6.9% Activity: 6.9% Activity: 6.9%

I wouldn't consider this "junkie" behavior because these are all prescribed right? Though last night's cocktail seems a bit much with all the diazepam, dihydrocodeine, zopliclone, oxycodone and Seroquel. The Seroquel alone would have me in a dead sleep stupor for at least ten hours.

I suffer with bipolar disorder but found Seroquel too harsh. No wonder why you woke up still groggy! Is it the extended release or immediate? There are other medications that could be looked into.

Talk with your doctor about the pain medications and you can together find a combination over time to help this. The 5 mg oxynorm is not excessive at 4 per day but if it's not working for you perhaps your GP could adjust your dosage or like you said, switch to another medication.

Do not take the advice of the person who suggested snorting your capsules. That is not a good idea, you seem to have your wits about you to know this is a bad practice. The bioavailability is highest taken as directed orally. You may be physically dependent on the opiates but that doesn't make you a junkie by any means. I hope you can find some relief for your pain!

edited: I'm glad you quit the drinking! Alcohol can be so toxic, more than your medications. Good for you

Last edited by carter 1203; 09-07-2013 at 02:31. Reason: I forgot something
Old 09-07-2013, 02:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter 1203 View Post
I wouldn't consider this "junkie" behavior because these are all prescribed right? Though last night's cocktail seems a bit much with all the diazepam, dihydrocodeine, zopliclone, oxycodone and Seroquel. The Seroquel alone would have me in a dead sleep stupor for at least ten hours.

I suffer with bipolar disorder but found Seroquel too harsh. No wonder why you woke up still groggy! Is it the extended release or immediate? There are other medications that could be looked into.

Talk with your doctor about the pain medications and you can together find a combination over time to help this. The 5 mg oxynorm is not excessive at 4 per day but if it's not working for you perhaps your GP could adjust your dosage or like you said, switch to another medication.

Do not take the advice of the person who suggested snorting your capsules. That is not a good idea, you seem to have your wits about you to know this is a bad practice. The bioavailability is highest taken as directed orally. You may be physically dependent on the opiates but that doesn't make you a junkie by any means. I hope you can find some relief for your pain!
At night I take 25MG Diazepam, 3.75MG Zopiclone and 20MG Oxycodone and 150MG Seroquel

I took the small dose of Dihydrocodeine on top the other night because I had had a stressful day and I am no longer prescribed the DHC but I have some left over in my pill box.

I have been on and off Seroquel since 2004 and have tried Abilify, this didn't help much and gave me RLS and Rispiridone which is what I was first on and this just did nothing and I have found the Quetiapine to be the perfect drug for my Psychosis in that it does help with the voices and I can stop thinking the TV is talking to me and my thoughts are broadcast sometimes, at least. Seroquel is however as you allude to, sedating and many people find it too heavy a drug to be on, especially when taken in the day when you need to be alert to drive and operate machinery in some cases.

I am unfortunate and am on sickness benefits and can't work due to all my mental illnesses and the drugs side effects. I am on another two medications in the day, Bisoprolol for blood pressure (beta blocker) and Amisulpride which is both an anti depressant in low doses and anti psychotic in higher doses (I take the lowest dose, 50MG) to help with my depression and I don't have full blown manic depression but mild depression but I do need help with it so this drug helps me.

BR1984 added 1 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

Oh yeah, because of the amount of downer's I take at night I end up sleeping for 10-13 hours which is obviously too much but I would have to spread the Diazepam out through the day to stop this happening and maybe just use the Oxycodone and Zopiclone to get me to sleep as well as the Seroquel. It should be enough.

BR1984 added 2 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

The Seroquel is immediate release - tried the XR stuff or XL the extended release stuff but it didn't do enough.

Last edited by BR1984; 09-07-2013 at 02:22. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-07-2013, 03:27
Silver Member

22 y/o Male from United States
cra$h really knows their shit.cra$h really knows their shit.cra$h really knows their shit.cra$h really knows their shit.cra$h really knows their shit.cra$h really knows their shit.cra$h really knows their shit.cra$h really knows their shit.cra$h really knows their shit.
Points: 2,019, Level: 6 Points: 2,019, Level: 6 Points: 2,019, Level: 6
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%

I really hate when the word junkie is thrown around. Personally, I find it more offensive than the word nigger. A junkie to me is someone who is very selfish and lies, cheats, and steals to get what they want, no matter the cost. It isn't always that sick heroin addict, or a strung out crack head, but I've seen plenty of stoners that are pure junkies. Stealing from those who least expect it like friends and family, manipulating people to get what they want constantly, and through this behavior they become very destructive to themselves and the environment around them. They're terrible wicked people and when you add a drug addiction on top of it, keep me far far away.

Now keep in mind there is a HUGE difference between a junkie and an addict. What you should be asking is are these behaviors leading me to become an addict? When it comes to being a junkie, thats more of a morals question.

You make a great point because it is a hurtful word
Old 10-07-2013, 20:57
Silver Member

29 y/o Female from United States
Pinklove is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra$h View Post
I really hate when the word junkie is thrown around. A junkie to me is someone who is very selfish and lies, cheats, and steals to get what they want, no matter the cost. It isn't always that sick heroin addict, or a strung out crack head, but I've seen plenty of stoners that are pure junkies. Stealing from those who least expect it like friends and family, manipulating people to get what they want constantly, and through this behavior they become very destructive to themselves and the environment around them. They're terrible wicked people and when you add a drug addiction on top of it, keep me far far away.

Now keep in mind there is a HUGE difference between a junkie and an addict. What you should be asking is are these behaviors leading me to become an addict? When it comes to being a junkie, thats more of a morals question.
Took the words out of my mouth.

OP, I do not think you are an addict right now but I can see you POTENTIALLY heading in that direction. I think you sought out advice early enough (kudos on that btw!) that you are aware of the possibilities and hopefully that means you know what to look for. Keep an eye on it, I guess that's really all I can tell ya...
Old 10-07-2013, 21:51
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from United States
Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.
Points: 2,981, Level: 8 Points: 2,981, Level: 8 Points: 2,981, Level: 8
Activity: 29.8% Activity: 29.8% Activity: 29.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cra$h View Post
I really hate when the word junkie is thrown around. Personally, I find it more offensive than the word nigger. A junkie to me is someone who is very selfish and lies, cheats, and steals to get what they want, no matter the cost. It isn't always that sick heroin addict, or a strung out crack head, but I've seen plenty of stoners that are pure junkies. Stealing from those who least expect it like friends and family, manipulating people to get what they want constantly, and through this behavior they become very destructive to themselves and the environment around them. They're terrible wicked people and when you add a drug addiction on top of it, keep me far far away.

According to your definition of a junkie, which also happens to be my definition of a junkie, i was a full blown junkie during most of my 7 years spent with crack. Although i would only steal, once i was on it. I never stole sober, to get high. Now, the lying and manipulation of people who cared about me, that was 24/7 during my addiction. Once i took a hit of some dope, i had no moral compass. Today, i still use illegal drugs from time to time, because i am a "druggie", and i always will be but just because someone is a druggie, doesn't make them a junkie!!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:07
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
Jealsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%

Well there's a few things to consider. First, benzodiazepines potentiate opiates so you're going to get a stronger effect, be careful if you get to higher doses. If you're concerned about your opiate usage, have you considered talking to your doctor about switching to a time-release med? That way you'll have less in your system at a time and it'll be more spread out through the night? It may help to spread it out through the night so you have some in your system all night.

Also, if you're worried about your intake, the last thing you want to do is to start insufflating oxy, you can get hooked before you realize it. Perhaps it'd be better to go to OxyContin so you don't even have the option, and it'll be in your system all night?

Share this on:

Tags
oxycodone, oxycodone addiction, poly drug use