Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Nootropics
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Nootropics Smartdrugs, Brain boosters & Cognitive enhancers.

Old 29-05-2013, 06:00
Silver Member

26 y/o Female from USA - Colorado
toltexan is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Phenibut three-week therapeutic trial

These past few months have been especially difficult for me to get through due to depression, social anxiety, non-stop negative thinking, attention, and general discomfort and unease. I had had experience with various anxiolytic and antidepressant drugs in the past, including sertraline, trazodone, lorazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, buspirone, as well as phenibut. All had worked to a degree, but nearly all had negative side effects and drawbacks such as withdrawal, memory loss, anxiety, depression, depersonalization, derealization, and habituation. Phenibut was a pharmaceutical I had been using for situational anxiety, but it ceased to work after it left my body.

Recently, my difficulties in socializing were mounting and I reached a point where I was desperate to do whatever it took to function and not struggle. Because I had read of phenibut possessing nootropic abilities, I decided to look further into it-- I knew for certain that its anxiolytic properties worked well enough.

I managed to find prescribing information for the Ukrainian perscription Noofen, which was distributed in packs of 20 tablets, each containing 250mg of phenibut. As per the instructions, I took the lowest prescribed dose of 250mg, 3 times per day (750mg/day). According to said prescribing information, this treatment plan was to continue for two to three weeks.

It's worth mentioning that I'm a female who was 24-years-old and weighed 150lbs at the time of treatment. I was (and still am) taking fish oil, vitamin d, aspirin, fenofexadine, spironolactone, and estradiol.

The instructions had listed only drowsiness and sedation as the primary side effects that would only be noted during the beginning of treatment. I noticed the sedation for the first three days, most notably at night, which was marked by intense physical and mental relaxation and a nodding off late at night that lasted until bedtime. This sedation lifted quickly, and I was left with a set of notable effects that lasted throughout the duration of this self-administration: a clear, calm mind, improved coordination, improved mood, improved memory, improved focus, increased sociability, and an ability to connect more emotionally. These effects have persisted beyond cessation of phenibut as well.

Most of those results stem, I believe, from having quieted my mind. I used to obsess my mind with thoughts of worry, apprehension, and negative self-image, but within days of starting the treatment, those obsessions had disappeared. It was definitely one of the most noticeable effects of phenibut, and it freed my mind to think about things that I wanted or needed to. It had been incredibly difficult to make eye contact and talk to strangers, friends, and family alike, but those problems vanished. What is very remarkable has been my own ability to recognize the worries that I had (and still have) for what they are and were, and to overcome those mental obstacles. My brain has slowed down, it feels, so that I may be able to think more clearly and quickly. I don't overanalyze things nearly as much as I used to, and being around others has become more enjoyable, much like when I was a child and was not so self-conscious. The ability to think more clearly has allowed me to focus better and remember more. My long-term and short-term memory have improved, as evidenced by my (new) ability to retain things I've just learned, such as math formulas, and things I can recall from weeks to years prior.

There were times, however, when I did not have faith that my usual 250mg dose would be enough for stressful times and events, so I would substitute a 750mg dose for one of my 250mg ones. According to the instructions, this was allowed, however, I may have interpreted the instructions incorrectly because I would take the following dose as scheduled. Despite this, I did not experience any negative effects from the increased dose or increased intake for that day. I took those doses a total of four times throughout the three weeks of my total treatment.

It has been eight days since I last ingested any phenibut, and I haven't experienced withdrawal symptoms--I don't expect any to start, but I will update this post if I feel any semblance of a discontinuation syndrome. I understand that many people use or need larger amounts of phenibut to relieve their anxiety, but after this experience, I feel that taking smaller doses on a schedule over a period of time produces much better anxiety relieve as well as nootropic results. I have taken doses between 1.5 and 3 grams in the past countless times, and this trial gave me infinitely better results. They were astounding!
I was very skeptical in the beginning of treatment and throughout its course, but this therapeutic treatment plan impressed me so much!

If used appropriately, as in by following prescribing instructions or doctor's recommendations, phenibut can be a very invaluable nootropic with anxiolytic properties (and vice-versa )

*p.s. I've uploaded the prescribing leaflet to the files section, and will include a link once I figure out how!
Old 30-05-2013, 00:09
Silver Member

Male from United States
tidruid is captain of the psychonauts.tidruid is captain of the psychonauts.tidruid is captain of the psychonauts.
Re: Phenibut three-week therapeutic trial

I just recently stopped taking phenibut. I used it for one month at 1500 mgs daily for social anxiety. It definitely worked. The reason I stopped is because I noticed that as time progressed I had difficulty with my speech and forming sentences properly. It got bad enough that I stopped cold turkey. Within two days of stopping my speech problems recovered and my mind didn't feel as if it were in the clouds. Phenibut definitely works in the short term for anxiety but I think its pretty shady to use everyday. Sorry for rambling.
Old 30-05-2013, 00:36
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from Canada
alexsm is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1

I am currently weening off of clonazepam and am trying to find alternatives to benzos for my anxiety. I'm wondering if phenibut can be used to aid benzo wd's.... It's been quite a ride(original dose was 7mg-down to 1mg now) but I have persevered through it so far and can't wait to be off the chemical handcuffs. I hate having to remember to take my "meds". I'm sure the long term effects of phenibut outweigh the long term detrimental effects of benzos.
My GABA receptors are crying out!!
Old 30-05-2013, 01:51
Titanium Member

Male from United States
DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.
Points: 1,254, Level: 5 Points: 1,254, Level: 5 Points: 1,254, Level: 5
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsm View Post
I am currently weening off of clonazepam and am trying to find alternatives to benzos for my anxiety. I'm wondering if phenibut can be used to aid benzo wd's.... It's been quite a ride(original dose was 7mg-down to 1mg now) but I have persevered through it so far and can't wait to be off the chemical handcuffs. I hate having to remember to take my "meds". I'm sure the long term effects of phenibut outweigh the long term detrimental effects of benzos.
My GABA receptors are crying out!!
Phenibuts primary mode of action is through GABA-B receptor (at higher doses it is believed to affect GABA-A as well). Though the effects are similar feeling I'm not sure if its a good option for tapering off benzodiazepines since the primary action of those involves GABA-A instead of GABA-B.

From the reports I've read, long term use of phenibut will produce benzodiazepine like withdrawal symptoms, though there have been no official studies. Quite frankly the symptoms from phenibut sound like they can be just as bad as benzodiazepines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia - phenibut - side effects
There are numerous reports of withdrawal symptoms on Internet blogs.[2][12] There is one reported case of withdrawal involving "nervousness and shakiness, psychomotor agitation, feeling easily annoyed and irritated, fatigue, poor appetite, heart pounding and racing, nausea, insomnia, and feeling tense and keyed up",[2] consistent with its GABAB agonist properties. There has been no systematic study of this problem.
Baclofen works very similar to phenibut and has a known withdrawal syndrome as well. If the mode of actions are the same there is a very good chance another drug in the same class will do the same. Baclofen is essentially a much stronger version of phenibut and is a prescription drug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia - baclofen - withdrawal syndrome
Discontinuation of baclofen can be associated with a withdrawal syndrome which resembles benzodiazepine withdrawal and alcohol withdrawal. Withdrawal symptoms are more likely if baclofen is used for long periods of time (more than a couple of months) and can occur from low or high doses. The severity of baclofen withdrawal depends on the rate at which baclofen is discontinued. Thus to minimise baclofen withdrawal symptoms the dose should be tapered down slowly when discontinuing baclofen therapy. Abrupt withdrawal is more likely to result in severe withdrawal symptoms. Acute withdrawal symptoms can be stopped by recommencing baclofen.[15]
Withdrawal symptoms may include auditory hallucinations, visual hallucinations, tactile hallucinations, delusions, confusion, agitation, delirium, disorientation, fluctuation of consciousness, insomnia, dizziness, nausea, feeling faint, inattention, memory impairments, perceptual disturbances, pruritus/itching, anxiety, depersonalization, hypertonia, hyperthermia, formal thought disorder, psychosis, mania, mood disturbances, restlessness, and behavioral disturbances, tachycardia, seizures, tremors, autonomic dysfunction, hyperpyrexia, extreme muscle rigidity resembling neuroleptic malignant syndrome and rebound spasticity.[15][16]

Post Quality Evaluations:
Useful post referencing source
Old 30-05-2013, 01:54
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from Canada
alexsm is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1

I have had baclofen in the past and hated the way it made me feel. I think I'll just ride it out and take herbal supplements as well as my usual daily dose of cannabinoids.

Share this on:

Tags
anxiolytic, nootropic, phenibut, phenibut experiences