Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 31-07-2004, 04:37
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

junkyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Benzodiazepines and Caffeine

Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, (my favorite), Ativan, etc... i love 'em.

i've checked www.erowid.org about experiences with benzo's combined w/ caffeine, however, with no real success... I like it a lot though, keep me awake and relieves anxiety i get from caffeine or just naturally. dig?
Old 04-06-2005, 08:06

Male from United States
Zandorf is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1 Points: 95, Level: 1
i'm going to bump this thred with something slightly more coherant

i like to take different benzos to releive anxiety so i can smoke pot,
i can't really enjoy getting high anymore unless i take something else
to releive anxiety, otherwise i just feel terrible and hate myself.

problem is, with xanax and other benzos i often get too sleepy, i was
wondering if caffeine would perk me up a bit without negating the
benzo's anti-anxiety effects?

i'm pretty sure caffeine has some effect on norepinephrine which is
associated witrh alertness and sometimes paranoia, but i'm not sure if
a cup or three of coffee would be enough to ruin my high.

<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->

Old 13-06-2005, 07:52

42 y/o Male from United States
msimm really adds to the discussion.msimm really adds to the discussion.msimm really adds to the discussion.msimm really adds to the discussion.msimm really adds to the discussion.msimm really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,116, Level: 5 Points: 1,116, Level: 5 Points: 1,116, Level: 5

Caffeine undoes the effect of the benzo. You can take on or the other but if you take them together their pretty much competing.

I say this as someone who's recently detoxed from about 40 mg of Valium
a day (I titrated down to about 1.25) so I had to be careful not to
take caffeine because it could cause early withdrawal.

Anyhow, to answer the question: yes its perfectly safe taking them
together but you'll just kill the effects of the Valium (which sort of
kills the point).

Edited by: msimm
Old 16-06-2005, 20:43
Gold Member

Male from Netherlands
BlueMystic is captain of the psychonauts.BlueMystic is captain of the psychonauts.BlueMystic is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 814, Level: 4 Points: 814, Level: 4 Points: 814, Level: 4
You can experiment with different doses of diazepam and caffeine to see what works for you. Everyone reacts differently. Work with it and see whay you come up with. I'm sure that you'll find the right equation for you.
Old 25-06-2005, 03:57

Male from United States
jesusfreak666er is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 659, Level: 4 Points: 659, Level: 4 Points: 659, Level: 4

Caffine being a CNS stimulent though weak lessens the effects of any CNS depressent... dont take coffee or caffine pills wit your benzos its a waste of money
Old 25-06-2005, 04:02
Titanium Member

49 y/o Male from USA - Rhode Island
Nicaine must live here.Nicaine must live here.Nicaine must live here.Nicaine must live here.Nicaine must live here.Nicaine must live here.Nicaine must live here.
Points: 4,305, Level: 9 Points: 4,305, Level: 9 Points: 4,305, Level: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeyez63

Caffine being a CNS stimulent though weak lessens the effects of any CNS depressent... dont take coffee or caffine pills wit your benzos its a waste of money
I disagree... benzos keep caffeine from making you feel too tweaked/wired, and caffeine isn't strong enough to undo the effects of anything above a very small dose of benzos. They seem to go pretty well together.

There's an ongoing theory around here that downers & uppers make a bad mix, but IMHO actual experience proves differently. Only chemicals that target the exact same brain receptors shouldn't be used together, and benzos potentiate GABA while caffeine binds to adenosine receptors. Different modes of action.Edited by: Nicaine

Post Quality Evaluations:
interesting reply but where is the evidence?
Old 26-06-2005, 20:05

Male from United States
korky8097 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 481, Level: 3 Points: 481, Level: 3 Points: 481, Level: 3
hmmm I might need to try this. I always have the problem of
getting tired on val. And of course the weird memory for a few
days but mainly i hate the tiredness. I will try a cup of joe
next time i do val
Old 27-06-2005, 03:15

Male from United States
jesusfreak666er is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 659, Level: 4 Points: 659, Level: 4 Points: 659, Level: 4
Well i wouldnt say that a cup of coffee would kill your high from 4mg of xanax but it does have a reverse effect
Old 29-06-2005, 08:46
Silver Member

Male
OneOfMany is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1

Zandorf:

Interesting idea. Recently I've been not wanting to toke out anymore from the anxiety/panic I've had. But I never thought of adding a benzo to calm it. I know alcohol doesn't mix wellfor me (they almost seem to counter act each other).

Any suggestions for the cheapest mellow benzo? I'm gonna stock up soon, but don't have any experience with them. Might go for a sampler and pick my fav if need be.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:35

Male from United States
kuplo is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Xanax (Alprazolam) and Caffeine?

I was reading a xanaxbuster site last night and couldnt make heads or tails of what I was reading but something about not having any coffee or caffeine for 6mo to 1 year after stopping xanax, and Im wondering why?

I regularly drink 64oz of espresso per day while on my xanax now, is this somehow blocking things or increasing potency or desire of the xanax?
Old 24-08-2005, 06:16
Silver Member

ilikeboobies is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
benzo withdrawal can cause seizures (and there is even a higher
chance of getting a seizure when caffeine, or any other stimulant is
taken)... I think it is only a problem if you drink caffeine within a
week or two after you stop taking xanax.

that site had some truth to it, but is filling you full of shit about how
long you should avoid caffeine... you'll be fine after a couple weeks.
Old 24-08-2005, 17:31

Narcoticum should review received reputation comments.
Nice boobies!

meaningless noise
Old 31-08-2005, 08:53

truestbet is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1
If you can't notice any thing is wrong why would you assume so? Caffeine causes anxiety so basically you are counteracting the xanax effect but I am sure by your post that you are taking enough xanax to over power a 64 oz expresso per day. If you ever start to feel anxious after you drink the expresso, I would say that you need to either reduce the amount of expresso, or increase the amount of xanax. If you start to feel tired, then reduce the xanax, or increase the expresso. Simple as that.
Old 31-08-2005, 22:17

Male from United States
kuplo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice, I was just figuring it out today or was it yesterday, my minds pretty much shot right now, 2 days working in front of my computer without sleep, possibly goin on 3 or 4 total without sleep, but gotta make a living.

Anyway, when I figured out the 64oz of espresso, I didnt take into account that I was adding more water to the espresso machine then you would if you used the little glass container they give you, so while I dont know what the exact amount is..............

I dont get anxiety attacks after drinking coffee or espresso, Im on a pretty strict regiment of pills right now, taken at a certain dose, and an exact time every single day without fail. I went so far as to buy a windows PDA so that I could have it set off an alarm for me so that I knew exactly what I had to take at that moment (yeah Im forgetfull sometimes), the other day I took one 2mg xanax with my other pills in the AM (on purpose, didnt feel the need for 4mg), Then i got so wrapped up in my work that every time the pda alarm would go off I would dismiss it, but not get up to go get the pills.

Your probably right, Im now on 10mg a day of xanax, 4mg in the am, 2mg at 2:30pm and 4mg at about 8ish to 8:30 (I'guess I've grown lax on taking it exactly when the alarm goes off). Xanax only makes me tired at night, during the day, it doesnt affect me anymore, just keeps me calm, but at night, I'll fall asleep in my office chair, or on the living room sofa, then boy is it a chore to get me up and to bed, Im so weak when woken up that I have to use a cane to stumble to bed.

Anyway, the doctors got me on so much medication that I couldnt even make it to work today, (300 mile drive round trip), 10mg xanax, 160mg lasix, 160mg diovan, 40mg lexapro, and some huge 105mg appetite suppressant that my pharmasist insists is normally dealt out in 30mg, and my docs got me on 105mg a day, but says I can only use it for 2 weeks at a time then have to take a week off otherwise it wont work on the weeks after 2 or 3 weeks without a break from it. Damn stuff is like amphetimines, can keep me up all night from one pill taken at 11:30am.

Now Im peeing like crazy because of the 160mg lasix, and drinking that foul tastinggatorade stuff (no offense to those that like gatorade) per the docs instructions and eating 3 bananas a day to keep up the potasium because he's got me on 160mg of lasix per day, when the pharmasist says most people only take 20 or 40 mg once or twice a day, but what ever it takes to get my feet back into a pair of shoes, I lost 6 1/2lbs of water retention yesterday in about 5 hours alone, havnt checked today yet, Im afraid to since my ankles look really swollen today more then yesterday. But I see the doc either this friday or next.

I think the doctor is using the xanax more for a treatement or substitute for alcohol, since I am a functioning alcoholic (that is to say that I get up for work, I keep my house tidy, I dont drink and drive, I go t work either in front of my computer, or at clients business's, but when I get home, come 3pm or 5pm, I start drinking the bourbon and diet coke till I finish off a 750ml bottle of burbonor more to my head. Since he prescribed the xanax I havnt had a drop of alcohol, havnt had the desire for any, and sadly the doctor informed me that unless I end up going for serious serious psycholological guidance or counceling to find out why I drink like I do, then I'll probably be on xanax the rest of my life. I dont see myself needing any more of it, seems 10mg a day is plenty since sometimes I take less, but the good part of the xanax is that I no longer get those nasty anxiety attacks right after taking a shower that starts with a cough, turns into a gag attack then eventually a vomit attack, I havnt had one of those at any time since starting the xanax 3 or 4 months ago, heck I use to get those attacks just thinking about spending $100.00 on a nice pair of pants and shirt.

Okay sorry for rambling sometimes I just need to do so to get things off my chest.Edited by: kuplo
Old 31-08-2005, 22:49

truestbet is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1

That is a large amount of xanax to be taking! You may want to consider the Xtended Release xanax if you don't have time to take the extra pills throughout the day, its the samexanax but just with a time release coating so it reaches its peak in about 6-7 hours instead of about 2 or 3 hours, it is a lot more expensive though. Actually kind of think of it, it could costs hundreds and hundredsfor a rx of that much xanax xr. Just keep your head up, sounds like you are doing pretty good following your doctors orders, good luck to you.
Old 25-02-2008, 11:09
Silver Member

Male from United States
no-go is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 71, Level: 1 Points: 71, Level: 1 Points: 71, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Clonazepam + caffeine Pharmacology

Swim used caffeine excessively for YEARS (fresh brewed coffee, not energy drinks) to the point of abuse and addiction, during which time swim absolutely loved caffeine: got "high", got energy, reduced stress, reduced anxiety, increase productivity, headache and pain relief, etc. Half a year after cessation of coffee for health reasons (pre-ulcer) intermittent use of caffeine has proven entirely ineffective. Swim has used MPH and amps as an alternative since, and suspects those drugs conditioned him against caffeine.

A while on Clonazepam, and swim tried coffee for lack of anything else. The result was amazing. Euphoric and energetic. Way euphoric. Well, maybe more happy than euphoric. But even a coca-cola or two works. The effect is most noticeable if coffee or tea is taken 30 minutes after the clonazepam dose. Swim wonders why this would be. Preliminary google search provides few answers, except confirming various xanthines interact with clonazepam, no clue as to how. Swim's friends also testify caffeine + clonazepam combination beats amp or mph + clonazepam.

It almost seems clonazepam has repaired all the damage to the adenosine receptors.

What's going on? What are the pharmacological reasons clonazepam and caffeine work so well together? Is this a combo. worth pursuing? P.S. Since swim never really got "high" from clonazepam, its anxiolitic effects were not diminished by caffeine. Only the drowsiness.

TIA.

interesting combo, hope you get some informed replies
Old 02-04-2012, 19:07
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
P1-O2 is captain of the psychonauts.P1-O2 is captain of the psychonauts.P1-O2 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 415, Level: 3 Points: 415, Level: 3 Points: 415, Level: 3
Activity: 2.9% Activity: 2.9% Activity: 2.9%
Re: Benzodiazepines and Caffeine

I know this thread is incredibly old. I'll take my strikes if that's the case.

Ever since I was put on Ativan (Lorazepam), I've kept a log of my daily intake of various substances. Over time I noticed a trend with caffeine, Ativan, and Valerian Root. I dosed ~2g valerian root tilled powder in capsules about 45-60 minutes ahead of any further dosing. This brings upon a relaxed/faded feeling. I follow up with 1mg of Ativan after ~90 minutes from taking Valerian Root, then dose 0.5mg of Ativan every 45 minutes until I reach 2mg total. For the caffeine, I start consuming quantities of about 15-25mg of caffeine per five minutes after the third dose of ativan.

To break it down, the time I start consuming Caffeine is:
Valerian Root - 180 minutes before
Ativan 1mg - 90 minutes before
Ativan 0.5 boost - 45 minutes before
Ativan 0.5 boost - Caffeine starts now.

Note: I follow this dose chart strictly because lorazepam takes ~90 minutes to fully peak. By the time I start consuming caffeine, the initial dose (half of the total dose = 1mg) is at peak levels, and the booster has already had time to climb. Because caffeine consumption starts immediately following the second booster, benzo levels continue climbing in the blood which adds to the effect. (Based off of rudimentary knowledge of chemistry and experience)

When I follow this regimen (Valerian Root can be excluded but mix feels less effective) I regularly get an entirely different headspace. I feel dissociated from the benzos, relaxed mentally and physically. Once the caffeine starts, I feel it almost immediately. Focus an alertness spike up for the first 45-60 minutes, then dwindles. Euphoria spikes up for the first 60-90 minutes, then fades.

Note: I have notice that caffeine can clash with Benzos when dosed improperly. Dosing caffeine more than 60 minutes after &quot;peak&quot; levels are reached seems to elicit some negative side effects (anxiety, jitters) and is less euphoric. I haven't logged this effect, and would be very interested to hear others experiences.

Personally, I had no idea Caffeine could be euphoric and exciting like this.
My favorite way to get through a shift at work, while listening to music.

Last edited by P1-O2; 05-09-2013 at 00:26.
Old 24-02-2013, 11:48
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from Greece
mkultra5979 is captain of the psychonauts.mkultra5979 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 290, Level: 2 Points: 290, Level: 2 Points: 290, Level: 2
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

First of all, I am following a strictly program with my doctor - detox from alprazolam, GAD and major depression - with high dosages of diazepam (prescribed from ny doc). As you can understand I use diazepam morning (30 mgs) afternoon (20 mgs) and night (30 mgs).
Secondly, many years now I'm addicted to caffeine - I need at least 5 espressos or 3 cups of filtered coffee. If I don't take "my dose of caffeine", I'm becoming very irritable and have awfull headaches.
Coming to the conclusion, I do not find that caffeine (300+ mgs) reduces the anxiolytics effects of diazepam. I have searched this issue (use Google Scholar, it's awesome) and I found that high dosages of caffeine (coffee or energy drinks) antagonizes the diazepam effects - including anticonvulsant effects.
But, every person is different, every body is different, so It's normal to have many different opinions.
Anyway, personally I do not feel that caffeine (300+ mgs, meaning at least 2 cups filtered coffe...) interacts with diazepam and alprazolam (at the past) - BUT IN MY BODY.!!!
The scientifics researches say that caffeine antagonizes benzodiazepines effects.
Right now (greetings from sunny Greece.!), I'm drinking the 4th cup of filtered coffee and still feel the anxiolytics effects (I'm not interesting anymore to get high) of diazepam.
Last, but not least, If you search for an answer, you must have in your mind some things: your benzo tolerance, your caffeine tolerance, the dosage of the benzo, the type of benzo (for example alprazolam is 20 times stronger than diazepam) and your (daily) caffeine dosage.
Thank you for reading.
Know your body, stay safe and stay away from (long use) of benzodiazepines.!

good points on tolerance and total daily caffeine use, needs evidence/citations from reasearch

Last edited by mkultra5979; 24-02-2013 at 11:54. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-03-2013, 00:37

27 y/o Male from United States
yumyumgimmesome is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by truestbet View Post
If you can't notice any thing is wrong why would you assume so? Caffeine causes anxiety so basically you are counteracting the xanax effect but I am sure by your post that you are taking enough xanax to over power a 64 oz expresso per day. If you ever start to feel anxious after you drink the expresso, I would say that you need to either reduce the amount of expresso, or increase the amount of xanax. If you start to feel tired, then reduce the xanax, or increase the expresso. Simple as that.
xanax, as well as klonopin are ungodly more potent than almost any amount of caffeine it would take to counteract the effects. I'm on klonopin, and regularly drink energy drinks, and even asked my Dr about it. There's almost no I'll effect or counter activity when combined.
Old 12-03-2013, 21:37

35 y/o Male from United States
tom_foolery is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1

I have used modafinil (sold otc here in Mexico so not illegal) to combat the drowsiness of benzos I am prescribed if I really need to get things done.

have found the dose of caffeine needed to provide similar wakefulness caused unpleasant feelings as well as unwanted cardiac effects.
Old 16-07-2013, 05:47

Male from United States
Kavajava is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

Know this is kind of an old thread, but just wanted to say there was one day when I took my normal dose of .5mg klonopin, then a little later some caffeine 200mg, then I forgot that Ia lreayd taken my dose and stupidly took a second klonopin. The effects were wonderful. It was like the dis-coordination and foggy headedness of being slightly drunk but with the positive upbeat can-do mood I get from the best cups of coffee. I felt happy, carefree, determined, and ready to take on the world! I really want to try to repeat this accidental combination.
Old 16-07-2013, 08:53
Mercury Member

23 y/o Male from United States
KingMDA needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

I LOVE this combo. Id pop football 1s and drink redbulls allllll day. It was great. Euphoria but not overboard and no pqnic or anxiety from the caffiene. I love coffee but usually drink decaf cause of this.

As for caffienes role on the brain...ill say this...i did a year in jail. After 45 days of withdrawals from suboxone I finally felt normal. I LOVED coffee. Id drink it all day. It actually got ke a mild pleasent buzz. I wont pretend im a dictir or chemist as I am niether. Just a junkie. But I will say caffiene +kpins = best functional high.

Please don't use slang names of drugs, just brand names, and please, check your spelling from time to time..
Old 18-07-2013, 13:16
Silver Member

Male from United States
LoPro is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%

Okay I will say that if you are low tolerance and took a good 2 to 4 MG's, a cup of coffee is NOT gonna kill your buzz. But this is an example of where its important to realize how different people look for different things in a buzz...some people won't be satisfied with a benzo if they are not highly sedated, whereas others will prefer not to feel really drowsy and still feel great from the decreased anxiety. After tolerance builds though I can definitely see caffeine interfering with benzo activity. Keep in mind too that from what I've heard, the boost from caffeine biologically only lasts for about 20 mins so it hardly seems worth it...
Also on the note of uppers/downers that someone mentioned, it varies widely from person to person....I like to experiment with taking benzos and methamphetamines together, sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes its perfection. Has a lot to do with having a hard time consistently getting quality benzos and of course pre-gauging the quality and effect of a particular batch of crystal is even tougher.
Old 24-08-2013, 04:02

22 y/o Male from United States
Sbrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Today I drank 4 cups of coffee in the morning and felt anxiety that did not feel good. Then I took 3mg of klonopins which doesn't get me high because I'm prescribed them but they still do take my anxiety away. So yes it cured my caffeine anxiety but I was also very tired from the 400mg caffeine crash but no anxiety atleast. So a couple hours later I drank another cup of coffee and this gave me some more energy but then started giving me anxiety again so I took 2 mg of klonopin again. Now on 5 mg of klonopin the caffeine anxiety is gone and I'm just feeling tired from drinking 500mg of caffeine today. The 5mg of klonopin still didn't get me high tho because I take them almost everyday for anxiety and for it to help me out with my ssri and OCD anxiety. All in all caffeine plus a benzo is pointless. The caffeine buzz doesn't last long and you just end up feeling more tired from the benzo plus caffeine combination. If you wanta do a stimulant with benzos and have a good stimulant high without any anxiety then combine any type of benzo with stimulants like cocaine, ecstasy, or adderall. You'll feel a better high but be warned. You better habe extra benzos when you comedown from those drugs
Old 30-08-2013, 02:06
Silver Member

22 y/o Male from United States
kmak is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 120, Level: 1 Points: 120, Level: 1 Points: 120, Level: 1

Zandorf, if you need to take xanax to get high. It may be a good ideas to lay off the grass. Think about it you are taking xanax(a highly addictive drug with many side effects) in order to smoke cannabis(a relatively benign substance). I understand it is your choice what you take, however remember xanax tolerance builds quickly and you may rebound if a xanax addiction occurs hence increasing anxiety.

Good advice

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, alprazolam, alprazolam high, amphetamine, benzodiazepine and caffeine, benzodiazepine and marijuana, benzodiazepine and stimulants, clonazepam, cocaine, dextroamphetamine, diazepam, ecstacy, lorazepam, modafinil, valerian root (valeriana officinalis)