Kratom Mitragyna speciosa

Old 28-03-2013, 16:35
Silver Member

Female from Earth
Logicalfunxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Kratom and food, timing

My friend and I are interested to hear others views on when best to eat before consuming Kratom.

My friend is new to Kratom and has been trying very hard to follow all the excellent advice on this site, but canít find much on this topic. Heís noticed that he get less of an effect if heís eaten recently before Kratom. He mentioned that for the best effect he has to fast for about 5 hours, and then wait another hour after Kartom before eating. This is really tough for someone who also loves food, takes for a bit of planning and removes the spontaneity. If eating an hour two before taking Kratom reduces the effect is it possible to just increase the dose?

As we hear its best to keep Kratom intake to once a week, experimenting will take a long time, so interested in views from the experienced.

Thanks!
Old 28-03-2013, 16:44
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,839, Level: 21 Points: 21,839, Level: 21 Points: 21,839, Level: 21
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%
Re: Kratom and food, timing

This is covered in most basic kratom threads.
It works best on an empty stomach. How long you should leave depends on your metabolism, but 3 or 4 hours should be more than enough for most people.
Taking it in the morning works best, because you dont have to worry about having an empty stomach.

Its a good idea to leave a few days between doses, to keep tolerance down and to avoid addiction.

Once the kratom has kicked in you can eat if you are hungry. Give it an hour so it has had plenty of time for all the alkaloids to be absorbed.
Many people find eating a meal a while into the effects helps increase them.

Just do a bit of experimentation and see what works best for yourself.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Where would kratom advice come from if it wasn't for you - Keep up the good work
Old 28-03-2013, 17:14
Silver Member

Female from Earth
Logicalfunxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Thanks for this.
I'm just thinking, if one was not interested in consuming in the morning, and after a big lunch suddenly decided it would be good to have a Kratom tea, in others experiences would just increasing the dose make up for taking Kratom straight after eating?

(Note, a good chunck of ginger boiled with the Kratom, lime juice and water seems to make kratom not nauseating, therefore Kratom made this way, straight after food seems to be fine on the stomach).

Just looking for others general experiences with when they eat and when they take Kratom, and if for them food has any affect on the Kratom experience.
Old 28-03-2013, 17:28
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,839, Level: 21 Points: 21,839, Level: 21 Points: 21,839, Level: 21
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%

Sure, you could try taking more kratom, but the problem with a full stomach is that it is in direct contest with anything else in the stomach and the reason it works so well on an empty stomach is that the kratom is easily broken down and the alkaloids absorbed before it passes through the body. Adding more might give your body more to work with, or it might just waste more.

On top of that taking more can also raise your tolerance, and so you will require a higher than usual dose each time, and eventually your body will get used to that dose if you should start to take it more regularly.

As i said, experimentation is the best way to find out what works for you.
You might get the effects you want from a small dose after food, or you might need to take more.
Everyone is different. Some people take kratom on a full stomach and they are happy with the results.

Ginger is a great thing for nausea, if you find kratom makes you nauseous. Personally its never bothered me, although i still regularly drink ginger tea.
Old 28-03-2013, 17:46
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Elizorz is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1 Points: 55, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

Kratom seems to work excellent for my pet monkey even shortly after a meal, he prefers to drink kratom tea. Although the few times he's tried Toss n Wash method after consuming a meal he found the results somewhat disappointing, he finds kratom tea is more easily absorbed.
Old 30-03-2013, 20:16
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from United States
Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 429, Level: 3 Points: 429, Level: 3 Points: 429, Level: 3
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%

IMO kratom is much better when taken on an empty stomach. I still get some effects when taken on a semi-full stomach, but not as strong or consistent. I find the longer you can go without food before you take it, the better. First thing in the morning after waking usually produces the strongest effects, but I don't enjoy doing it then most of the time. Normally I will dose up around 6 pm - about 5-6 hours after I eat lunch.
Old 31-03-2013, 00:05
Silver Member

Male from United States
seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.
Points: 1,525, Level: 5 Points: 1,525, Level: 5 Points: 1,525, Level: 5
Activity: 13.4% Activity: 13.4% Activity: 13.4%

I have 2 theories for why eating food an hour after Kratom makes the high so much better.

1) Eating food stimulates the digestive system to accelerate absorption, if you eat nothing but Kratom I can imagine it might just sit in your stomach for awhile.
2) When you eat food you dilute the Kratom in your stomach, slowing absorption. This is a good thing if you're getting high too fast, since if you get too high on Kratom it gets dysphoric (less is more).

So if these 2 processes are actually occurring, Kratom absorption is slowed but at the same time it will happen steadily since the digestive system is moving. This is perfect after the initial fast absorption during the first hour after eating Kratom.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Interesting! That's why I don't seem to get a good kratom buzz going if I haven't eaten.
I especially agree with point number one. Thanks for bringing up the possibility that causing more acid release in the stomach can help the body absorb the kratom.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:20

24 y/o Male from United States
StygianThemis is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

Personally, I still get good effects even after an hour of eating. The recommended wait time is 3-4 hours, but it reall depends on what you eat and your metabolism. Some foods take longer to leave the stomach than others, sugars and high fat content items will interfere with a complete kratom absorption. Eggs and/or bread will take awhile, too: at least 3 hours, as I have just found.

Though, I've had days of complete anorexia. Sometimes, I only eat once a day and only know I should eat when I start getting weak and irritable. That's for a different post, though.
Old 11-07-2013, 15:45
Titanium Member

Female from Earth
thespeedofdark is a decent psychonaut.thespeedofdark is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 254, Level: 2 Points: 254, Level: 2 Points: 254, Level: 2
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

I find that while kratom works its absolute best on an empty tummy, it still does work if I've eaten a small, light meal - a salad, a bowl of cereal, or a small sandwich with no meat in it (I often eat flatbread sandwiches made with hummus and lots of veggies for lunch). If you note here, I seem to find the key is whether or not meat or other large amounts of protein are present in my stomach. For example, taking kratom after a big ol' steak dinner is a total waste for me, but after I eat a salad for lunch, I can take some and it will still work okay.

Now, this is just me... everyone metabolizes things slightly differently, so you might not find the same. Just thought I would chime in though and let you know my experience with this.
Old 11-07-2013, 17:02
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
yeahok is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1
Activity: 4.4% Activity: 4.4% Activity: 4.4%

Ever since I quit for a week and came back at a lower tolerance, food right before kratom has been amazing. I know, technically, kratom has to compete for absorption with anything else in your stomach, but if you have a low tolerance and want a slow gentle buzz try it out.

Share this on:

Tags
kratom, kratom and food