Register Tags

Notices

Old 27-03-2013, 05:23
Silver Member

19 y/o Male from United States
Atsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
How to tell the difference between l-methamphetamine and d-methamphetamine?

How can someone test meth that's bought off the street and tell whether it is l-methamphetamine or d-methamphetamine?
Is there a way to test your meth so you can tell which it is besides consuming it?
Do testing kits tell you this?

Thanks,
Atsu.

Post Quality Evaluations:
What a really good question, certainly got me thinking!
Old 27-03-2013, 08:37

33 y/o Male from United States
pokerplayerlv should review received reputation comments.
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Re: How to tell the difference between l-methamphetamine and d-methamphetamine?

Google revealed l meth is an ingredient in a Vicks vapor preparation and is non psychoactive -- an unlikely candidate to be found on the street.
Old 27-03-2013, 09:44
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.
Points: 1,012, Level: 4 Points: 1,012, Level: 4 Points: 1,012, Level: 4
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

But often enough d,l-methamphetamine and d-methamphetamine would both be found on the street, and to suit one's preference, that differentiating would be desirable.
Old 27-03-2013, 11:12
Back From the Big House

Male from Australia
Docta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 9,597, Level: 14 Points: 9,597, Level: 14 Points: 9,597, Level: 14
Activity: 13.8% Activity: 13.8% Activity: 13.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsu View Post
How can someone test meth that's bought off the street and tell whether it is l-methamphetamine or d-methamphetamine?
I don't think it would be feasible to do but there are in my opinion only two realistic options:
  1. Chiral resolution
  2. Angle of rotation

First option is performing a chemical reaction called a racemic resolution where a solvent separation is performed making one of the enantiomers insoluble via a chiral resolving agent. This is obviously unrealistic and any such discussion would have to take place in the chemistry section.

Second option is constructing a devise call a Polarimeter that will identify l-methamphetamine from d-methamphetamine. If a simple light tube could be constructed with two polarized lenses crossed at 90o with respect to one another light would pass strait through to the eye peace but if a sample of meth was put in the light tube between the lenses, carried in a optically inactive solvent it would rotate the plane of polarized light entering the tube. If the plane of polarization is rotated to the right, the sample is dextrorotatory; If to the left, levorotatory.

Getting two small polarized lenses would be the first thing then there's the question of the light source. The degree to which the plane of polarization is rotated by any sample is highly dependent on the wavelength of the light so a monochromatic light source would be needed such as a sodium lamp. I know this is all a bit pie in the sky but hell wouldn't it be great to make one out the body of a Mag-Lite.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Well done post, this would be an interesting device to make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polarimeter.jpg (79.4 KB, 243 views)
Old 27-03-2013, 21:49
Silver Member

Male from Spain
RoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,391, Level: 8 Points: 3,391, Level: 8 Points: 3,391, Level: 8
Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7%

No need to test it.

If the methamphetamine was reduced from pseudoephedrine, it's d-methamphetamine in it's entirety.It's quite unusual to find meth prepared from any other precursor.

Other methods are no longer in use because of the difficulty in attaining the precursors needed and the simplicity of the reduction of pseudoephedrine, which is basically one step away from making krocodril (if you don't know what it is, you're better off).

The meth you're getting is the d isomer, plus the various unidentified substances it's cut with.There are numerous purification techniques that will not only make your meth purer, but remove impurities that can be directly harmful to your health.You should be able to find these using the search engine.

Robo
Old 29-03-2013, 00:39
Silver Member

Male from USA - Oregon
TheMoleculeMan is a decent psychonaut.TheMoleculeMan is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 159, Level: 2 Points: 159, Level: 2 Points: 159, Level: 2
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCodeine7610 View Post
Other methods are no longer in use because of the difficulty in attaining the precursors needed and the simplicity of the reduction of pseudoephedrine, which is basically one step away from making krocodril (if you don't know what it is, you're better off).
This isn't entirely true. A good portion of the methamphetamine circulating in my area is synthesized from phenyl-2-propanone (P2P). This is largely because the Mexican drug cartels that flood the region with their product are adapting to chemical restrictions. Since P2P is ideal for large-scale production, this is what drug cartels commonly use to manufacture methamphetamine.

Also, I'm assuming you meant "krokodil" (крокодил) which, you're absolutely right, is pretty similar to the synthesis of pseudoephedrine methamphetamines.
Old 29-03-2013, 01:09
Silver Member

Male from Spain
RoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPACRoboCodeine7610 must think in IUPAC

Quote:
This isn't entirely true. A good portion of the methamphetamine circulating in my area is synthesized from phenyl-2-propanone (P2P). This is largely because the Mexican drug cartels that flood the region with their product are adapting to chemical restrictions. Since P2P is ideal for large-scale production, this is what drug cartels commonly use to manufacture methamphetamine.
I was unaware.But a P2P cook would probably yield a mix of both isomers.Are there any identifying characteristics of meth coming from Mexico?

RoboCodeine7610 added 0 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Also, you speak Russian? Cool.

Last edited by RoboCodeine7610; 29-03-2013 at 01:09. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 29-03-2013, 01:22
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.Boltzmann must live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoleculeMan View Post

Also, I'm assuming you meant "krokodil" (крокодил) which, you're absolutely right, is pretty similar to the synthesis of pseudoephedrine methamphetamines.

This is where the d,l-methamphetamine I mentioned originates, mostly.
Old 29-03-2013, 01:35
Silver Member

Male from USA - Oregon

Quote:
I was unaware.But a P2P cook would probably yield a mix of both isomers.Are there any identifying characteristics of meth coming from Mexico?
Oh I agree, I was just expanding on your post by offering secondhand knowledge of the drug trade. As for the characteristics of P2P methamphetamine, I have to agree with Docta in that "...any such discussion would have to take place in the chemistry section." However, I can tell you this: P2P methamphetamine is commonly referred to as "ice."
Old 29-03-2013, 01:38
Silver Member

Male from Spain

Well it's irrelevant, in any case, as purity has a lot more to do with potency than weather it's only racemic meth or not.If you're getting pure enough meth (think shabu) then it makes sense to compare the two.Otherwise, purity is pretty much everything.

Robo

RoboCodeine7610 added 3 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

What I don't understand however, is this:

If there are vics, oxys, roxys, percocets and valiums out in the street, how come I never hear of Desoxyn being sold out there?I mean, it is pharmaceutical-grade methamphetamine.

Last edited by RoboCodeine7610; 29-03-2013 at 01:38. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 29-03-2013, 01:51
Silver Member

Male from USA - Oregon

Quote:
If there are vics, oxys, roxys, percocets and valiums out in the street, how come I never hear of Desoxyn being sold out there?I mean, it is pharmaceutical-grade methamphetamine.
It's the Holy Grail of prescriptions, that's why. Doctors and physicians are reluctant to prescribe something that has a social stigma like methamphetamine has attached to it. Furthermore, it really doesn't have too many practical uses like levo/dextroamphetamine (Adderall) does.
Old 29-03-2013, 01:51
Titanium Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Well it's irrelevant, in any case, as purity has a lot more to do with potency than weather it's only racemic meth or not.If you're getting pure enough meth (think shabu) then it makes sense to compare the two.Otherwise, purity is pretty much everything.

Robo

RoboCodeine7610 added 3 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

What I don't understand however, is this:

It's a lot easier to fake back pain than morbid obesity.
Old 29-03-2013, 02:00
Silver Member

Male from USA - Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltzmann View Post
It's a lot easier to fake back pain than morbid obesity.
Disturbingly enough, this too. It's way too easy to walk out of an MDs office with a prescription for oxycodone without any buffer if you claim it upsets your stomach and you don't have a history of drug abuse. It's a cake walk to get a prescription for the 5/325s- they hand those out like candy.
Old 29-03-2013, 02:10
Silver Member

Male from Spain

I see.

I just figured it had little to do with legitimate prescription, as most oxycodone sold in the street comes from "pain clinics" with a big sign on the door that say "no insurance, cash only".

I also think the low level of difficulty in it's synthesis probably has something to do with it.After all, it's not that difficult to cook almost pharmaceutical grade methamphetamine yourself.

Robo
Old 13-06-2013, 19:47
Silver Member

46 y/o Female from United States
LaFolle is captain of the psychonauts.LaFolle is captain of the psychonauts.LaFolle is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 343, Level: 2 Points: 343, Level: 2 Points: 343, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Would the prevalence of the new ISO dope everywhere have anything to do with this? Meaning, is l-amphetamine similar/the same as or mixed with N-Iso &/or the other amyl substances?

Share this on:

Tags
methamphetamine