Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 14-03-2013, 20:44
nightshade nightshade is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: 20-11-2012
24 y/o Female from Earth
Posts: 1
nightshade is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Heroin during pregnancy

Hey,

This time last year I was a heavy heroin user. I was a total recluse, living in a cluttered, clammy dustball with my boyfriend, injecting up to 6 bags a day. It was all very surreal.
I won't get into the details of how screwed things were, in terms of keeping and losing friendships, lying to honest people, spending more money than I ever had in my life in one week...It just got to boiling point and I'm lucky to have gotten out when I did.
I quit "for good" about 8 months ago with the help of valium, kratom, and music...
Anyway, to get to the point, right when I thought I was over the withdrawal (and not the drug- that's a totally different thing), I started using again, very, very moderately. This lasted a week or two until I found out I was pregnant. My instincts told me to keep the baby and I listened intently. I quit the needle that very day along with cigarettes of which I had a 9 year habit. Withdrawal was very minor and the 12 week scan confirmed that the baby didn't suffer any consequences.
Now I'm 7 months, have a nice tight bump and a bouncy babe who likes to let me know he is alive and well. It does bring me a lot of joy.

Being a pregnant ex-user is not a glide in the park though (in fact pregnancy on its own isn't either). I'm still haunted by the fiendish voice, the monkey on my back that wants a hit and won't leave me alone. Truth is, my boyfriend quit at the same time I did- pretty much the same story- but since he is not pregnant, he still uses very occasionally. And every time he does, a wave of jealousy takes hold of me. I'm deeply pissed off at him for betraying me, not just because I'm carrying his child and want him to stay clean for the baby's sake, but also because I think, "How could he do this to me? He knows what we went through. He knows how hard it is for me to be around others who use..." I suppose it is self-centered of me to think that, I know he is not doing this specifically to hurt me- he is hurt himself. I try to help him best I can to deal with whatever issues push him to use but the fact remains that those issues run too deep to simply brush off with words.
Once, when he came home with that pin-eyed look of distant pleasure, the urge just took over. It was a combination of being so fucking angry at him and a confluence of shit regarding my family. I took a tiny shot, not even half a bag.

It relieved a lot of my tension for a bit. After it wore off, I regretted it though. Big time.
Now, I'm waiting at home alone and I have a gut feeling my boyfriend has scored and is going to come home with the tell-tale look. I just don't know where to find the strength to say no. I know what a good mother would do and I have been trying my best throughout my whole pregnancy to make the best possible choices for my baby. I mean, I've slurped asparagus smoothies for god's sake...

But the urge to use sometimes is so over-powering...just to get some rest. I don't mean go on a gear binge, I just mean one hit so I can fall into the cave and enjoy the quiet...Even though I'm here talking about taking a dose of heroin while pregnant, I am or at least try to be responsible. It would be one and that's it. One hit every four months isn't going to hurt my baby is it?
I hope I've explained the situation clearly...I'm not a bad person, I just have trouble being happy. We all self-medicate one way or another.
I don't need to be told I'm going to be a shit mother, I get enough of that from my family and they don't even know I was ever addicted to heroin...I just need advice on how to cope, and maybe if any of you have experienced similar situations you could share? Has anyone ever used gear a lot/occasionally during pregnancy? What happened?
Thanks for reading my post.

Post Quality Evaluations:
For being honest with yourself, even if you haven't made up your mind to do the right thing yet
very honest post that highlights a subject that needs to be talked about, thanks

Last edited by Smeg; 25-05-2013 at 03:26. Reason: For ease of reading.
  #2  
Old 14-03-2013, 21:48
slightlyopiated slightlyopiated is offline
Titanium Member
 
Join Date: 19-01-2012
20 y/o Female from United States
Posts: 77
slightlyopiated is a decent psychonaut.slightlyopiated is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 126, Level: 1 Points: 126, Level: 1 Points: 126, Level: 1
Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1% Activity: 3.1%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

Please do not use heroin during your pregnancy... its not good for the baby... please think about the baby instead of your urges. You were doing so well!! I'm sure you still are and I'm so proud of you even though I don't even know you!! Congrats!! Please don't start convincing yourself a little bit of heroin use won't hurt the baby. I know you must be reading up on it but you need to stop. You also need to get away from your boyfriend. I'm sorry to say it but its true. You just cannot be around him when he is such a trigger and not only that but do you want a heroin addict around your own child. How will you feel knowing that you or your boyfriend is shooting up in the next room while your baby sleeps in his crib... how will you feel like when you need help with thr baby but your boyfriend is nodded out? Most of all how will you feel if you're a heroin addict and can't even provide the help you need for your own baby?

You will end up being that dope fiend who can't take care of your child if you choose to stay around your boyfriend. He is too much of a trigger and when you throw in the past and present use that only can lead to a disaster... You won't be able to stay clean with a boyfriend who uses. First you will say well occasional use won't hurt... I'll be okay and I'll still be a good mother... then it will be almost everyday and before you know it you're a full blown addict again. I'm not a fortune teller and I can't see your future but I can try to predict it... I use heroin and been around many who did.. seen situations like this and it all ends badly. Do you want it to end badly?

The worst thing that could possibly happen is one day your child gets taken away because you chose heroin.... so what's worse losing your boyfriend or losing your baby? Will it be easier to say goodbye to your boyfriend or say goodbye to your child? I'm sorry that this is harsh but this is reality. I once was a child who's mother stayed with my drug addicted father... and I ended up in foster care for a year because of it. The only way my mother got me back was through a lot of fighting and she had to stay away from my father. So please think about what you're doing and the choices you will make... they do not effect only you but now your baby.

I wish you the best and I have faith in you... I know your family may not but prove them wrong... prove to them you can do this. Again leaving your boyfriend is the best thing to do. He may beg for you to not leave and he will say he will get clean but most of the time they don't. He might even start using behind your back. So don't fall for any of the lies or tricks!! Good luck with whatever you do... the best bet is for you to find someone close and clean that you can stay with. If you have no options then try to find programs in your area... thry can provide you with food assistance and even a place to stay. You need to get yourself into a healthy environment for recovery. Youre about to bring a baby into this world so its time to get the help that you need. Go to NA as well.. you will meet people who will understand your situation.

Please stay strong!!

I wish my mother had left my abusive and drug addicted father... I witnessed so many things I can't unsee... went through physical abuse and sexual abuse in foster care. I still am dealing with things I went through as a child. Its a big reason why I self medicate today. It hurts me to know that children will have to go through what I did.. please don't allow your child to be another one of many.

Again NA will help and will get you through a lot. Maybe even start joining some local things around your area and try to make new friends... change your life and shake out the bad. I know you didn't want to hear all the above but it needed to be said. So weed out all the bad people in your life and things will get better... it will. It will be hard at first but it gets a lot better. You will feel so much better when its all said and done.

Post Quality Evaluations:
i saved this to share with my young teen cousin gettin interested in dxm

Last edited by slightlyopiated; 14-03-2013 at 22:09.
  #3  
Old 14-03-2013, 22:10
Space Numpty Space Numpty is offline
Palladium Member
 
Join Date: 10-08-2009
43 y/o Male from England
Posts: 1,547
Space Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,934, Level: 11 Points: 5,934, Level: 11 Points: 5,934, Level: 11
Activity: 6.9% Activity: 6.9% Activity: 6.9%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

My first reaction reading your thread was disgust. Disgust as watching you slowly convincing yourself that it will be ok to use.

Its easy i guess to judge, and giving it further thought i feel awful for you.

I don't know you, but i can get an impression from your post and i see someone who isn't bad, desperately wanting to do the right thing whilst that demon whispers sweet nothings in your ear. I'm sorry for the position you are in.

Now, if you want to do the right thing, this is it. Its not what you want to hear. Don't use, and have a long hard think about your boyfriend, your relationship and who really is the love of his life. Right now it isn't you. He holds a great responsibility for how you're struggling. If he can't stop and you want to give your child a life, then you need to do it without him. Sad thing is, i don't think thats even a consideration.

Nobody here is going to tell you its ok to use heroin whilst pregnant because it isn't. And what about when the child is born? Back onto the needle we go? Please don't end your childs life before they've even had a chance to live it. You really want them sat in NA in 25 years time saying "well it was bound to happen, both my mom and dad where junkies, i was going to be one...."

You're a good person. Do the right thing.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Bold truths spoken plainly.
  #4  
Old 14-03-2013, 23:22
Springtime Springtime is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: 08-10-2010
Male from United Kingdom
Posts: 94
Springtime is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 122, Level: 1 Points: 122, Level: 1 Points: 122, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

First of all, well done for giving it up. At one point you were at the crossroads where a lot of people choose the easy path, taking heroin and spending their days chasing the next hit. That's the easy path, but you chose the other one: getting clean, and opening your life to the possibility of a really bright future with a baby. That's the harder of the two paths to take, but I hardly need to point out that beyond question it's the right one.

The thing about expecting a baby, in my experience ("my" meaning my partner and me) is that you can't see it, you don't really engage with it and so on in the way that you will after it's been born. It almost seems like it's not real yet - does this apply to you at all? And yet the baby is bouncy and lets you know that he's there, and he's healthy. So here's my suggestion: build on that. Talk to him. Tell him what you're up to, when you're about to eat a meal tell him what's going to be for lunch. Just a bit of a chat; imagine that he can hear you and understand what you say. It will help you to bond even better than you are at the moment.

Then explain that you're thinking of taking some heroin. Tell him that you love him, but you're tempted to have a hit. Then, imagine his reply. He's at your mercy, because there's nothing he can do about it, but how would it make him feel?

This kid needs you. It's a real live, beautiful human being who is 100% reliant upon you for everything. Don't let him down. It's obvious that you're a thoughtful and feeling person, so think about it and let yourself feel the magnitude of what you're considering.

So, if you're correct and your boyfriend turns up with some gear you'll have a choice. One option would be to go for it, and then feel the guilt of letting your own baby down in a big way ("shit mother" you say). But the other option would be to refuse it and prove to yourself that you're capable of putting your baby first. Which you are, of course you are. Then you'll feel really good about yourself; you'll feel that you're a loving person who can offer a beautiful baby a good future. And that feeling is worth more than all the heroin in the world.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Great advice on building the relationship with the baby before it's born
  #5  
Old 25-05-2013, 00:59
AddyCrazy AddyCrazy is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: 06-11-2007
Male from United States
Posts: 303
AddyCrazy is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 192, Level: 2 Points: 192, Level: 2 Points: 192, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

Maybe you should talk to a doctor about opiate replacement therapy while pregnant. Using heroin especially IV is not safe at all while you're pregnant. Talk to your Dr about this and see what the options are.
  #6  
Old 25-05-2013, 03:07
headfull0fstars headfull0fstars is offline
Titanium Member
 
Join Date: 02-04-2010
27 y/o Female from United States
Posts: 536
headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.headfull0fstars really knows their shit.
Points: 2,867, Level: 8 Points: 2,867, Level: 8 Points: 2,867, Level: 8
Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

I commend the OP for her honesty. Although it is easy to look at someone else who is doing something that you think you would never do and judge them, we never really know how we would react in a certain situation.
I was a really bad heroin addict- living in the street and shooting in my neck, but I always said that if I ever got pregnant I would stop and never look back. I always said that I would never do heroin again if I had a child (even if I wasn't pregnant), but sometimes when you are actually in the situation what you always said goes out the window.

I am not saying that it is alright to use heroin while pregnant. It is not ok, and the OP knows it isn't ok because otherwise she wouldn't need to try to convince herself that it is. The fact that she came here asking what to do tells me that she was looking to be talked out of it.

There is no way she thought that any of us would say that's it's ok to shoot heroin while pregnant. She came here and told the truth about what she has done, which considering the amount of judgement that women who use while pregnant face is a brave move.

To the OP-
Being an addict is hard. Recovering from addiction is hard. I can't even imagine being new to recovery while pregnant and dealing with all of the emotions and hormones that pregnancy entails. You messed up and used once. Was it the right thing to do? No. Will beating yourself up over it help? Not all at. The most important thing you can do now is to make sure that it never happens again. Do whatever you need to do to ensure that you do not use even one more time during your pregnancy. In recovery they have a saying to 'tell on yourself' when you relapse or are thinking of relapse. You have come here and told on yourself. Do you have anyone supporting you in your recovery that you could talk to? I

f you fear that you may use again I would advise you to go and get on methadone for the remainder of your pregnancy. It really helps in dealing with the cravings. If the cravings are triggered from your boyfriend using you need to remove that temptation. Tell him you can't be around him if he is going to use. If he cannot/will not stop then leave. Do you have family that you can stay with? Friends? Do whatever you need to do to get away from this trigger.

You aren't a bad person because you have made bad choices. We have all made bad choices in our lives, some worse than others. It doesn't make you bad. You can always change your choices. You can change your life.

Edit-
After rereading I felt like the beginning might sound like I was attacking other posters, but I wasn't at all. I meant *you* in a general sense like- *one* not anyone in particular.

Last edited by Smeg; 25-05-2013 at 03:20. Reason: Further paragraphing and line spacing for ease of being heard.
  #7  
Old 25-05-2013, 03:43
Jerms81 Jerms81 is offline
Titanium Member
 
Join Date: 18-05-2013
32 y/o Male from United States
Posts: 71
Jerms81 is captain of the psychonauts.Jerms81 is captain of the psychonauts.Jerms81 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 448, Level: 3 Points: 448, Level: 3 Points: 448, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

As the father of two young children and a recovering heroin addict I feel deeply sorry for you in this time of yours.
I have no magic solution but I can give you some words that have helped me when feeling like I want one more hit:

"I keep getting the urge to just do it one more time... a farewell dose, just to feel it one more time before I say goodbye for good. I can rationalize it a hundred different ways, which is scary. It's really hard to argue against it, I've just been taking pride in my time sober and doing everything I can to keep that number growing. I keep telling myself that it could be 100 bags later and that feeling will still remain. I had my fun with dope, I couldnt control it, nothing noticeably good came of it, so theres no reason to keep using.Fuck it!"

~ Lovething
  #8  
Old 25-05-2013, 05:06
ex-junkie ex-junkie is offline
Palladium Member
 
Join Date: 23-02-2009
Female from Earth
Posts: 2,511
Blog Entries: 1
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,760, Level: 11 Points: 5,760, Level: 11 Points: 5,760, Level: 11
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshade View Post
It would be one and that's it. One hit every four months isn't going to hurt my baby is it?
You cannot guarantee that your hit will be pure. Drugs from category X do the most damage between 15-60 days of pregnancy, with the majority of the damage continuing up to 8 weeks of pregnancy. In saying this, heroin is not a category X drug.

I'm going to be frank with you. You will not stop at one hit and maintain it once every four months. Who are you fucking kidding? I don't trust that I would be able to stop at one hit and I've been off the junk for 7.5 years. What do I do to avoid this? I don't use smack; it's pretty simple.

Don't kid yourself. There are two potential outcomes for you and it's pretty straightforward. You can either be a heroin addicted mother or a sober mother. I am a sober mother, but I had to take methadone when I was pregnant because I found out I was pregnant on the same day I went on methadone. I can assure you that your thoughts of being a shit mother will be amplified the second you have to line up to get your methadone dose. You can't hide a pregnant belly. You will feel like the scum of society.

Now.. imagine waiting on that line for methadone with a baby in a pram. Ugh. Seriously man, snap out of it. That's the reality and if you were so sure that you could pull off using just once every four months, you wouldn't be on this forum asking questions. YOU KNOW the answer to your own question already.

It's okay to have these thoughts and feelings, and I feel it's equally important to express them. I'm pretty disappointed in your partner for giving you a taste of smack while you are pregnant. You more or less dosed up your unborn baby with heroin. You will have to live with this when you hold your baby for the first time. Taking methadone made me feel guilty enough, ashamed, and a shit human being. These are not nice emotions to carry around and I don't wish them on you or anybody. Please have a think about this.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Very straight forward. It's what needed to be said, pure and simple.
best answer in this thread by a mile, painfully beautiful
  #9  
Old 25-05-2013, 08:12
DiabolicScheme DiabolicScheme is offline
Titanium Member
 
Join Date: 05-04-2010
Male from United States
Posts: 775
DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.
Points: 1,249, Level: 5 Points: 1,249, Level: 5 Points: 1,249, Level: 5
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

Methadone is not a good option for addiction during pregnancy. So dont go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugs.com pregnancy risk of methadone
Methadone has been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA. No increase in congenital defects has been observed with methadone treatment although withdrawal symptoms occur in 60% to 90% of infants born to mothers on chronic methadone therapy. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. Methadone should only be given during pregnancy when benefit outweighs risk.

Offspring of methadone users are at increased risk for mortality, sudden infant death syndrome, jaundice, and thrombocytosis. Reproductive function in human males may be decreased by methadone treatment. Reductions in ejaculate volume and both seminal vesicle and prostate secretions have been reported in methadone-treated individuals. In addition, abnormalities in sperm morphology and reductions in both serum testosterone levels and sperm motility have been reported. Animal studies have provided additional data indicating that methadone treatment of males can alter reproductive function. Animal studies have reported a significant regression of sex accessory organs and testes. Additional animal data have been published indicating that methadone treatment (once a day for three consecutive days) increased embryolethality and neonatal mortality. Examination of uterine contents of methadone-naive female animals bred to methadone-treated male animals indicated that methadone treatment produced an increase in the rate of preimplantation deaths in all post-meiotic states. One study has suggested that gradual maternal dose reductions in methadone prior to delivery may be associated with decreased severity of neonatal withdrawal. Another study has reported that school age children exposed in utero to methadone may have lower IQ scores, greater anxiety, greater aggression and more behavioral problems than non-exposed children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drugs.com buprenorphine pregnancy risks
Aromatase is the major enzyme that metabolizes buprenorphine in the human placenta.

Buprenorphine has been assigned to pregnancy category C by the FDA. Post-implantation losses, acephalus, omphacele, dystocia, and statistically insignificant skeletal abnormalities have been reported in animal studies. There are no controlled data in human pregnancy. Buprenorphine use during pregnancy has been associated with neonatal withdrawal symptoms. Buprenorphine should only be used during pregnancy if the potential benefit justifies the risk to the fetus.
Buprenorphine may be a better choice but I am willing to bet buprenorphine only seems to have less risk because it hasnt been studied as well as methadone.

In either event I feel that prescription replacement would be safer for you and the baby because at least you can get a non-adulterated substance instead of street heroin mixed with god know what.

Obviously the best route is to quit with no replacement therapy, in fact, I would kick your boyfriend to the curb if he is going to sit and use in front of you and not quit for the benefit of you and the baby.
  #10  
Old 25-05-2013, 19:07
ex-junkie ex-junkie is offline
Palladium Member
 
Join Date: 23-02-2009
Female from Earth
Posts: 2,511
Blog Entries: 1
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,760, Level: 11 Points: 5,760, Level: 11 Points: 5,760, Level: 11
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabolicScheme View Post
Methadone is not a good option for addiction during pregnancy. So dont go that route.

Buprenorphine may be a better choice but I am willing to bet buprenorphine only seems to have less risk because it hasnt been studied as well as methadone.

I have a problem with this post because of the half life of buprenorphine and due to the short amount of time it has been available for use as a maintenance drug. The last thing I wanna hear about is babies withdrawing from a drug that has a 48 hour half-life. Methadone is bad enough, but yeah, buprenorphine may work better for for some.. I recognise this aspect, which is where the risks vs benefits comes into it. If a person is going to maintain sobriety while taking buprenorphine, but fail on methadone; then it is understandable why they would take buprenorphine. I want to add to this paragraph and state that I am only referring to options if the OP has a genuine relapse and starts to experience withdrawals. These maintenance drugs are not required or necessary if the OP manages to abstain - which we are all hoping she does! It's really not worth the self-beating...

Any other reason otherwise, then I would suggest with my personal and professional experience that a pregnant women would NOT take buprenorphine. It has only been around since the late 90s as a opiate maintenance drug. Therefore it is unclear exactly what the effects of this might be on your child in the long-term picture.

Methadone has been around long enough for us to know it does not cause category X complications - it is category C. It is category C because it causes neonatal abstinence syndrome, but guess what; so does heroin! Using heroin is going to be worse than using methadone and buprenorphine. The safest thing to do is to not use any opiates at all!!!! However, if you find yourself in withdrawal, it is paramount that you understand that buprenorphine has not been studied to death like methadone has.

I have attached an article about neonatal withdrawal syndrome and methadone.
  #11  
Old 25-05-2013, 19:20
jipper jipper is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: 09-05-2013
28 y/o Male from United States
Posts: 50
jipper is a decent psychonaut.jipper is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

"Babies born to mothers who have used heroin while they were pregnant have inherited their addiction, and upon birth must go through withdrawal. This is a painful process and includes symptoms like diarrhea, sweating, a higher-pitched cry, tremors and irritability. The babies are also very likely to have low birth weight and small head circumference.
Babies born with low birth weight have been shown to have many difficulties later in life:
~Language, visuomotor, and other learning disabilities
~Behavior problems
~Children are more likely to be rejected by peers
~Performance in school may suffer and the children may need special education courses"

This is just a small part of the side effects of heroin on your child. It's not about you anymore is it. everytime you use your baby is using. your basically sticking that needle in your babies arm. If u wanna use then use, but use after the baby. have you ever been dope sick? you want that for your child? ever? Whatever you have to do to not use you should do. also, methadone and suboxone have equally awful side effects and withdraw that your lucky baby with also inherit. a baby born in my life(a very close friend) experienced extreme methadone withdraw immediately after labor and was weened over a couple weeks. now the young person, several years later is very malnutritioned and terribly skinny.

Unfortunately, in this kind of situation, it's all about the child. think about your precious son high on dope in your stomach, withdrawing from dope before his first birthday even happens. Is is fair to the child? I know how much you must hurt and how alone you must feel, but I assure you that you are not alone.

when I was born my mother was on several drugs. my whole child hood she was high or drunk or both. she was a terrible addict(I say was because I hate her and she is dead to me right now as I find my sobriety however I do find forgiveness as well)and always put her addictions before me. I held such contempt for her for so many years. is this what you want for yourself? you want that child to hate you and what you are? Its not to late to stop and change things, change your future. change hers....
  #12  
Old 25-05-2013, 19:41
ex-junkie ex-junkie is offline
Palladium Member
 
Join Date: 23-02-2009
Female from Earth
Posts: 2,511
Blog Entries: 1
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,760, Level: 11 Points: 5,760, Level: 11 Points: 5,760, Level: 11
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipper View Post
Babies born with low birth weight have been shown to have many difficulties later in life:
~Language, visuomotor, and other learning disabilities
~Behavior problems
~Children are more likely to be rejected by peers
~Performance in school may suffer and the children may need special education courses"
I find this extremely interesting because my son is nearly ten years old. He has absolutely no memory of me coming off of methadone because he was 2.5 when I did so. He was born one week premature and was 6 pound 4 ounces; so a small baby.

He has not had behavioural problems, in fact he is quite a mummy's boy and we are extremely close - BUT, he doesn't fit in at school. Admittedly, this is partly due to his age. He was born on the cusp and probably should have been held back a year, but was put through nonetheless. As a result he is noticably more immature than his peers and this has held him back in both his studies and his social relationships.

My little man is only just starting to catch up with school work and show some evidence of having my genes (lol, his father has dyslexia). I have wondered for the past 3-4 years whether it was due to him being a 'methadone baby' and having that affect his growth and development.

Obviously it's a very grey area with methadone. On the one hand it did a great job of keeping me off of heroin so that I was able to become the amazing mother that I wanted to be, but on the flipside it has generated some fears about his growth and development and I often wonder if I have set my little angel backwards in life on the social and learning development scale.

Lastly I want to add that I do not fit in here in this location. My son is a spitting image of me. I have been his example, so it's kind of no wonder why he is not fitting in. In saying that, we live in a regional area which is cliquey for the most part. We are both highly individual, creative, alternative in musical taste, which would set us back regardless lol, so there is room to question whether his developmental issues are a result of his age, our location, and personality types.

I still do wonder if it's because I set him backwards in life from conception being on methadone. I'm posting this in the hope that you might identify with it. I am potentially speaking words of wisdom to you in a decade's time, that hopefully puts your situation and relationship into perspective. Not many of us talk about this issue because it's so sensitive.. not just to us, but to others and everybody involved in our immediate family/life.

Sigh. You still have the power to change your outcome so it's not like mine or the next person's.
  #13  
Old 25-05-2013, 19:46
Akanaro Akanaro is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: 07-04-2013
Male from South Africa
Posts: 300
Akanaro must live here.Akanaro must live here.Akanaro must live here.Akanaro must live here.Akanaro must live here.Akanaro must live here.Akanaro must live here.
Points: 920, Level: 4 Points: 920, Level: 4 Points: 920, Level: 4
Activity: 41.6% Activity: 41.6% Activity: 41.6%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

The original post was made more than 2 months ago at which stage the OP was 7 months pregnant. One would assume she has given birth by now and is therefore no longer pregnant. Of course the topic still serves as a source of information for other would be mothers. I figured it would be useful to point this out as well as mention that there is an excellent on-going discussion on the moral aspect of drug use during pregnancy which can be found at the below link.

Your views on drug use during pregnancy

A wealth of information also exists on experiences with buprenorphine at the below link.

Buprenorphine general sharing thread

As you were.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good redirects and saved me a post mentioning the age of the thread and the fact the OP is long gone
  #14  
Old 25-05-2013, 19:48
jipper jipper is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: 09-05-2013
28 y/o Male from United States
Posts: 50
jipper is a decent psychonaut.jipper is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

pregnancy is 10 months start to finish not 9 .... good point though. Its somewhat of a touchy topic, more so to people with children sometimes.

Post Quality Evaluations:
This borders on a useless one liner. Try to add something to the discussion if you're going to post!
  #15  
Old 29-05-2013, 22:10
edeMamasita edeMamasita is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: 29-04-2013
33 y/o Female from United States
Posts: 25
edeMamasita is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

This is a very touchy topic and one that needs to be addressed. There are plenty of women who choose to use during pregnancy. I have three cousins that were born addicted to cocaine and heroin or speedballs. I watched my little premature cousin go through withdrawals and watched CPS take him away.

I am a mother. Never drank caffeine or painted my nails or died my hair and I certainly did not use drugs during my pregnancy... BUT I was not addicted to drugs at that time. I don't know what I would have done if I was with child during the height of my addiction. I would like to say that I would abstain but I couldn't do that for my toddler daughter a year ago.

I noticed a lot of men hold a very strong stance in this situation. I AM NOT saying you are wrong by any means. I personally know a lot of men or 'fathers' who chose not to get sober and not to be supportive. In fact they took the easy-HIGH way out. I also know some men that put on their big boy pants and became amazing fathers. The same examples apply to many women.

Addiction is hard. It is easy to say we could never harm a child in utero but hopefully we have not been in those shoes. This is a messed up situation and I truly hope that she made the best decision.

Post Quality Evaluations:
very kind and balanced view, supportive post with mature explanations
  #16  
Old 29-05-2013, 22:34
ratgirldjh ratgirldjh is offline
Titanium Member
 
Join Date: 10-09-2011
54 y/o Female from United States
Posts: 565
ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.
Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

where i live (Texas) if you are pregnant they MUST give you methadone and it will be free. there is no reason to use heroin.

i've taken pregnant women heroin addicts (in w/d) to the clinic here in the past and they ended up getting dosed immediately.

i'm pretty sure that it is a law that if you are pregnant that they have to give you free methadone and get you stabllized quick ... you might even be able to get it at the ER in an emergency.

my understanding of this is that the baby can be harmed when you are going through withdrawals and also that methadone maintenance is safer than street drugs during pregnancy - plus they can keep an eye on you.

anyone who is pregnant and strung out on opiates please call your local public methadone clinic. there may even be other options available these days.

and if you don't have a methadone clinic where you live i would go straight to the ER or tell your healthcare provider.
  #17  
Old 29-05-2013, 22:53
edeMamasita edeMamasita is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: 29-04-2013
33 y/o Female from United States
Posts: 25
edeMamasita is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Re: Heroin during pregnancy

I know that withdrawals can be hard on any human let alone the pregnant addicts body. Just imagine that poor helpless baby.
My suboxone doc said that he would put prego women on subutex?? He said that it did not cross the blood brain barrier. I can not completely trust him. Money hungry.Being pregnant alone is hard. I couldn't imagine what these women have to endure.

Share this on:

Tags
future parenting, heroin, pregnancy, recovery

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should heroin be prescribed to heroin misusers? Yes or No? enquirewithin Opiate addiction 64 28-02-2014 18:01
Health - Anthrax Infected Heroin Dicemanstyle Heroin 122 23-10-2013 22:43
USA - All manner of substances have been used by Americans throughout our history beentheredonethatagain Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics 1 20-05-2013 15:43
Canada - Canada faces a flood of heroin and addicts Guttz Health (News) 5 17-12-2010 00:28
Health - heroin pregnancy camp8ell Heroin 3 06-09-2008 18:09


Sitelinks: Information:

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:43.


Copyright: SIN Foundation 2003 - 2014, All rights reserved