Notices

Amphetamine Amphetamine AKA speed

Old 07-03-2013, 01:03

Male from United States
BigRed13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Why are amphetamines not working for me

Hi my names ryan, im new to this site and was hoping to get some answers. About a month ago i went to the doctor to address my attention, focus, and concentration problems in school. She prescribed me ADD medicine, and i started taking Concerta 18mg in the morning (7:00 am) and Ritalin 5mg in the afternoon (5:30pm) to give me a boost to get through homework. I felt nothing, no change at all, except a decrease in my appetite. After a week she incresed the dose. So i was now taking Concerta 36mg in the morning (7:00 am) and Ritalin 10mg in the afternoon (5:30pm). Still nothing. After a week on that i met with her again and she switched me to Vyvanse 30mg in the morning (7:00 am) and Dextrostat 10mg in the afternoon (5:30pm). I have been on that for 4 days now and still feel no effects. Why are amphetamines not working for me, I am 6ft1in 190lbs (not fat) and 19 years old. I am not lying about my symtoms, i really do have ADD and need help but non of the medicine ive tryed so far has worked. Do i need a higher dose because im a big guy or should i try switching again. Should i try adderall, im aware of the side effects but ive heard that it really helps you get motivated (which other add meds dont do as well) and focus better. Everyone i know that has tried has said it worked wonders for consentration/motivation ( except for the side effects). Or do i just need a bigger dose of what im on now.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:30
Silver Member

19 y/o Male from USA - Nevada
Darian is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8%
Re: Why are amphetamines not working for me

Believe me, you don't need increasingly larger doses. Otherwise they will stop working and you will become addicted. Try adding small amounts of caffeine to the mix, drink plenty of water, and take a balanced multivitamin. Coffee or tea are good, relatively safe potentiators of amphetamines.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good advice about dose and potentiation and warning about addiction.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:53

Male from United States

I understand you can build up a tolerance to the drug and it will stop working. But it hasn't worked in the first place, i haven't felt any effects so how could increasing the dose hurt if its not working at all. I mean it goes up to 70 mg for a reason, because some people need more for it to work. Also I've heard Vyvanse isn't effected that much by the things you eat ( unlike other add medicine) and you don't build up a tolerance to it a fast as you do with other add medicine. I just want to know

-If it takes a couple of days or so for you to start feeling the effects
-Do i need a bigger dose to start feeling effects
-Or should i switch drugs again (To something like adderall)
Old 07-03-2013, 01:55
Silver Member

19 y/o Male from USA - Nevada
Darian is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed13 View Post
I understand you can build up a tolerance to the drug and it will stop working. But it hasn't worked in the first place, i haven't felt any effects so how could increasing the dose hurt if its not working at all. I mean it goes up to 70 mg for a reason, because some people need more for it to work. Also I've heard Vyvanse isn't effected that much by the things you eat ( unlike other add medicine) and you don't build up a tolerance to it a fast as you do with other add medicine. I just want to know

-If it takes a couple of days or so for you to start feeling the effects
-Do i need a bigger dose to start feeling effects
-Or should i switch drugs again (To something like adderall)
Use adderall. In fact, if you can, get up to Desoxyn. Methamphetamine hcl. Pharmaceutical quality. Clean as can be. It's the most effective at the lowest dose and it works the best for ADD/ADHD.

Caffeine + Meth/Amphetamine allows for low doses of each.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:38

Male from United States

Ill ask her about switching but i don't see the doctor until another two weeks what should i do until then. Should i try taking two 30mg vyvanse pills (a total of 60mg) and see if that works. If i dont feel anything with one pill so taking another cant hurt. Even if it does work i might try to switch because i heard adderall also helps get you motivated which vyvanse does not.
Old 07-03-2013, 22:38
Silver Member

Female from United States
Tlaxcalli is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

Vyvanse involves amphetamine, but methylphenidate (Concerta/Ritalin) is not an amphetamine, although it is related and somewhat similar.

It really varies a lot by person. For some people, Adderall works perfectly and Ritalin does very little or is not as good. For others, it's the other way around. For others, Vyvanse works better than either of those. Some people need a very high dosage starting out, others are strongly affected by a very low dose. It has nothing to do with you being a big guy either. Personally, I find that methylphenidate works way better than Adderall, which was a nightmare for me in the end, although it seemed great the first time I tried it. Based on your results regarding appetite, I would think that a higher dose of methylphenidate might be what you need. Or maybe if you combine l-tyrosine with it - I've read a story of one Adderall user who found that it calmed them but took a break and took l-tyrosine during the break... they said that when they got back on Adderall, the effect was very different and more intense (which for them was too much since the Adderall already worked before), so that could also possibly make the stimulants more effective?

Could also be that methylphenidate just doesn't work for you, so I would suggest trying Adderall as well, although I personally hate that drug and it seems like there are lot more horror stories about it, so proceed with caution. Don't give up, but know that these drugs are super complicated, and our brains are all strangely different... the differences that are popularly understood regarding these drugs are beyond oversimplified. You may have to try a lot of different drugs to find the answer for you, unfortunately. It's kind of scary how unpredictable it all is and the side effects you can suffer if you get on the wrong one. But the benefits in the end, I think, when you find what works for you, will be worth the trouble of the search. My one month of Ritalin before going on Adderall was amazing and very promising.

I also asked my psych about combining methylphenidate with Vyvanse, and she said it has been known to work better than either by itself, for some people. Another thing I recommend is that you should feel free to experiment and take higher amounts on a given day, within reason (don't suddenly jump by 50mg one day). If it's not doing much for you anyway, you're not losing anything by using up extras on one day. So if you have a 36mg script that's not working, try upping it over a period of a week to see if you can reach an amount that is actually working for you. Don't just stay at the 36mg wasting your time on a script that doesn't do the job for you. I tell my psychiatrist about every experimentation I do with the drugs and she never finds that disturbing, but simply works with me to help me find out what's best - I am responsible with my experimenting, though.

Last edited by Tlaxcalli; 07-03-2013 at 22:43.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, concerta, ritalin, vyvanse