Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Psychological & social
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Psychological & social Psychological, social, mental health aspects of addiction & recovery.

Old 06-03-2013, 19:17
Banned

Female from Earth
Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.
Points: 1,859, Level: 6 Points: 1,859, Level: 6 Points: 1,859, Level: 6
Activity: 27.1% Activity: 27.1% Activity: 27.1%
Keeping it Real .

Someone i know recently said 'keep it real' and smiled after a bit of a tiff between us . I thought yeah .

Since then , i've been in situations where people just don't keep it real .. they don't say shit that they're thinking for whatever reason etc .

So , i'm thinking , how many of you 'keep it real' .. ? and if not , why not ..

Hey .

Ps .. do you feel like you are compromising yourself if you don't ..? and should we practice on Potter ..?? ;-)

Post Quality Evaluations:
Great thread starter.
Good post, enjoying your threads encouraging us to engage in deep analysis about the entirety of our lives
Old 06-03-2013, 20:32
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 15,418, Level: 18 Points: 15,418, Level: 18 Points: 15,418, Level: 18
Activity: 7.5% Activity: 7.5% Activity: 7.5%
Re: Keeping it Real .

I do try to keep it real all of the time, but obviously that depends on the other person doesn't it? Say they're feeling extremely vulnerable, it really wouldn't be the right time to get honest with them would it?

Sparkles.
Old 06-03-2013, 20:51
Titanium Member

42 y/o Male from Australia
out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.
Points: 2,306, Level: 7 Points: 2,306, Level: 7 Points: 2,306, Level: 7
Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0%

I don't think any of us "keep it real" all the time or even some of the time. We are constantly assessing and reassessing our surroundings. These are primal instincts and are ingrained within our DNA. Self-preservation is our primary primal objective. And we will often do what it takes to achieve that.

These days that doesn't necessarily mean having to fight off a tiger or crocodile (mostly), but it does mean dealing with people on a daily basis about a range of issues. If we are threatened in any way then our self preservation mechanism kicks in and that's when I think we don't "keep it real." We do what it takes to survive.

Well, just a few thoughts anyway. Interesting thread btw.

Interesting view .
Old 06-03-2013, 21:13
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

I pretty well say what I think around here and in real life. I'm not mean or rude but I don't bullshit people. I've "kept it real" on here several times and gotten tons of red dots and banned, so I mean, some people can't handle reality.

Now if someone is really in a bad way, I'm not going to be as straight foward as I would with someone who is just being an idiot. I will sugar coat shit and even lie to make them feel better.

But 90% of the time, I don't bullshit.

Refreshing 'what you see if what you get' persective .
Old 06-03-2013, 22:04
Titanium Member

32 y/o Male from USA - District of Columbia
outside365 is on the way upoutside365 is on the way upoutside365 is on the way upoutside365 is on the way up
Points: 521, Level: 3 Points: 521, Level: 3 Points: 521, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I have to agree with sparkles, that I try to keep it real all the time. Generally I say what I mean and mean what I say. I have some said some stupid things though. The more I thought about your question, the deeper the hole went. I started to think about all the times I pretended, almost acting through parts of my life. Especially when I was at my worst, I would manipulate people to get my fix. It was a double life for me then. From the outside I looked like I was fine, since I have been a functional addict, meaning I've always worked, held down my jobs, now have my own business. There is this whole other side of me that most don't see. There are a handful of people that actually know me.

I think I would be lying if I said, I always keep it real. I grew up in a circumstance where, I couldn't be myself. I had to act or pretend, in order to not be punished. I know this has followed me into my adult life. These last years have been the best and worst years for me. I once didn't care. These last five years have been teaching me about this. Keeping it real is what I try to do. Since I'm a performing musician, its very important to keep it real. Music has taught me things I never would have imagined. When I preform, I notice when I'm feeling what I'm playing and giving the raw emotion to the audience, that they respond with feeling. The audience feeds my energy and I do my best to give it back. When that happens its like an explosion of energy and vibrations turning into an intangible thing into something magical. It's almost like sex, nobody wants a selfish lover, who goes through the motions and is a taker. Blah! The more I give, the return is always so much better.

So for me I try to 'keep it real'. I am still learning and don't plan on stopping, but I'm finding that giving is often required of me. In order to 'keep it real'. Peace.

Good add to thread , applying the question to a shared music dynamic .
Honest insight and exemplifies how things like music can help us in many different ways

Last edited by outside365; 06-03-2013 at 22:42.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:59
Banned

Female from Earth
Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.
Points: 1,859, Level: 6 Points: 1,859, Level: 6 Points: 1,859, Level: 6
Activity: 27.1% Activity: 27.1% Activity: 27.1%

Some interesting replies here , thank you .

I guess i try to keep it real as often as i feel brave enough to . I think i do this pretty much most of the time . I think its a practice thing really , but at the same time its also an exercise in tactfulness .

Learning to balance honesty with tact in order to keep it real without either overly hurting someone's feelings or compromising one's own sense of self (assertiveness) seems to be the way to go .

Obviously there are times when someone is being a complete prick , and tact doesn't seem to register so quickly when dealing with them , but even then , i think its better to keep it real to the best of one's ability .

I also think that there is something refreshingly positive about people who keep it real . I am not confusing this with aggressive behaviours .

Hey

Share this on:

Tags
honesty, keeping it real