Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > VARIOUS DRUG RELATED TOPICS > Drug News > Justice & Law (News)
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Justice & Law (News) News about drug busts, bans, court cases, and law enforcement.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:15
Phungushead Phungushead is nu online
Twisted Depiction
Super Moderator

Male from United States
Phungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 22,896, Level: 21 Points: 22,896, Level: 21 Points: 22,896, Level: 21
Activity: 19.1% Activity: 19.1% Activity: 19.1%
California Smoking Ban Would Prohibit People From Smoking Inside Their Own Homes

In the mid-1990s, California became the first state to ban smoking tobacco in bars, clubs and restaurants. Now, if a bill introduced last month by one Golden State Democrat becomes law, California would likely become the first state to prohibit millions of its citizens from smoking in their own homes.

The bill, authored by Assemblyman Marc Levine (D-San Rafael), would prohibit smoking inside all multiunit residences, such as condos or apartments, where housing units share walls, floor, ceilings or ventilation systems.

Free-standing homes, which make up about two-thirds of all residencies in the state, would be exempted from the ban.

"Californians should be able to breathe clean air in their own homes," Levine said in a statement. "In apartments or condominiums, whenever a neighbor lights up, everyone in the building smokes with them. This is especially troublesome for children who have no choice but to breathe the secondhand smoke of their neighbors."

The bill has raised a few eyebrows among housing advocates. The Sacramento Bee reports:
Brian Augusta, of the Western Center on Law and Poverty, said that targeting multifamily units disproportionately affects low-income people who can't afford standalone homes.

"If smoking is an addiction, and it clearly is, are we telling people that they have to quit smoking--without support--or leave their homes?" he said.
San Rafael, one of the largest towns in Levine's assembly district, instituted a similar ban on smoking in multiunit housing last year--becoming the ninth municipality in the state to do so.

"The San Rafael ban is a very significant event because it will spread," Stanford University history of science professor Robert Proctor explained to Reuters "We're on the downslope of a big curve. Smoking peaked in 1981 with 630 billion cigarettes sold in the United States. Now it's down to 350 billion. And that number will keep on going down until smoking is a distant memory."

California's smoking rate has dropped precipitously in the past three decades. According to the California Department of Public Health, just over a quarter of Californians smoked cigarettes in 1984. In 2010, only 11.9 percent did, leaving California second only to Utah in having the lowest smoking rate in the country.

A review of a number of academic studies on smoking laws by the Center for Disease Control found that not only do restrictions on where people are allowed to smoke increase the number of people who quit smoking, but, by "challenging the perception of smoking as a normal adult behavior," these laws can affect cultural norms surrounding smoking and reducing the number of young people who pick up the habit

03/01/2013

Aaron Sankin
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2792719.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calif.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	31573  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:40
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from United States
oar9fi is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: California Smoking Ban Would Prohibit People From Smoking Inside Their Own Homes

I hate cigarettes but this sounds like a stupid Idea- So people can waste the cops time by calling 911 to say they think their neighbor is smoking a cigarette? Gimme a break... I'd rather have my neighbors smoke inside than have to walk right past them smoking outside.

If the ban was, say, smoking in an apt with children inside (the same unit) it might make sense. Or, they could allow the owners of the buildings to ban smoking and let people move to a no smoking unit if they want.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28
Silver Member

Male from United States
Addie Daddy is a decent psychonaut.Addie Daddy is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 135, Level: 1 Points: 135, Level: 1 Points: 135, Level: 1
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%
Re: California Smoking Ban Would Prohibit People From Smoking Inside Their Own Homes

The only problem i have with this is the enforcement issue...it'd be really hard/wasteful. but i like the idea -- smoking indoors is so harmful to other peoples breathing environment. and it's just plain gross.
Old 10-03-2013, 23:25
Palladium Member

32 y/o Male from United States
guldenat probably knows what they are talking about.guldenat probably knows what they are talking about.guldenat probably knows what they are talking about.guldenat probably knows what they are talking about.guldenat probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 727, Level: 4 Points: 727, Level: 4 Points: 727, Level: 4

I smoke and don't even do so in my own home. It's not fair to people I live with or those who might visit. Regarding the bill though... I suppose if smoking in one apartment definitively poses health risks to someone living in the same building I think that's fair. I would prefer there be quite a bit of certainty on that subject before passing more laws that dictate what people can do in their own homes.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:50
Silver Member

25 y/o Female from Canada
BitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline Medline
Points: 2,800, Level: 7 Points: 2,800, Level: 7 Points: 2,800, Level: 7
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%

I like this except I also agree there would be a large enforcement issue, but then again there are other laws that are hard to enforce but exist to set a standard and to give the message that something is bad for society or society disapproves - like loitering laws, littering, having animals without a leash, loud music past a certain time (only examples I can think even though these result in fines in most places). Even if a person is warned by a person of the law, no saying if they keep doing it anyway.

But I think having this in place will give some ground for people who have an issue with a smoker in the same residential unit, so that it is not just a matter of preference but something that has been formally established. If this is enacted, when you go to confront the person smoking in your place of residence, you can say that it's the law and hopefully this would be enough to get the person to take it seriously and would take away any excuses they might have used otherwise to keep smoking. This is of course if they have been asked by others in their building or same residential area to stop smoking and they still don't.

There are many residential places where the owner of the building or the landlord haves their own conditions that there be no smoking in the house, since other renters would not be okay with it and also I imagine because the smell of smoke lingers on carpets and on the walls, so if I were a landlord, I wouldn't want to have to get the smoke out of an apartment every time a tenant who smokes moves out. I am not sure what the landlords, building owners, etc. are like in California but every place I have rented no smoking is allowed. The landlord at my last place didn't even want smoking on the property because old tenants would leave their cigarette butts all in the front area of the house and the driveway and he repeatedly asked them not to do so and they continued, so he got fed up and made it a policy of his.

I know a lot of smokers who own their own home and smoke outside to prevent their house from smelling like smoke. It isn't asking much and no one is being forced to give up their addiction. My mom has smoked in our house and every time I come over after not being here for a while, I instantly smell the smoke and when I leave my clothes smell like smoke too; it's really annoying and I wish she would smoke outside because it can make my visits very unpleasant.
Old 17-03-2013, 06:39
Silver Member

Male from United States
Addie Daddy is a decent psychonaut.Addie Daddy is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 135, Level: 1 Points: 135, Level: 1 Points: 135, Level: 1
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%

Yeah, I guess it won't hurt to have the law. It just seems like socially/culturally it is somewhat unacceptable anyways. I don't get why anyone would be ok with smoking cigarettes indoors...all those nasty chemicals soak into your environment and poison you more.
Old 17-03-2013, 07:23
Banned

Male from United States
baZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond reputebaZING is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,240, Level: 12 Points: 7,240, Level: 12 Points: 7,240, Level: 12
Activity: 21.8% Activity: 21.8% Activity: 21.8%

I had read about a similar bill to this a while ago... or maybe it was the same bill in an earlier stage. One thing that this article did not mention is the fact that smoking in a multi-unit building also exposes the other residents to a potential fire risk.

While cigarettes nowadays are safer and meant to extinguish after x amount of time of not being smoked, if someone were to fall alseep while smoking or just accidentally dropped a lit cigarette out of reach, there remains a very real possibility of a fire being started. The dangers of secondhand smoke have been pretty much proven, but there might not be anyone who lives on to get lung cancer or emphysema should someone burn down an apartment complex with a lit cigarette.

In principle, I feel that people should be free to do what they want with their own bodies and their own lives. But obviously the point here is that in multi-unit homes, other people are affected by the decision to smoke inside. I don't disagree that the bill somewhat targets those of lower socioeconomic status by its nature and that aspect of it is unfortunate, but frankly it's just not that hard to go outside to light up. I can't really see any reason to oppose this bill other than the principle of not wanting so much government control... and while I respect those who feel that way, I totally support this nonetheless.
Old 17-03-2013, 07:25
Silver Member

Male from United States
The Architect is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 116, Level: 1 Points: 116, Level: 1 Points: 116, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie Daddy View Post
The only problem i have with this is the enforcement issue...it'd be really hard/wasteful. but i like the idea -- smoking indoors is so harmful to other peoples breathing environment. and it's just plain gross.
Harmful or not, it's anybody's right to choose and do so.
I think the government needs to stay the F*** out of our homes.
Tobacco, marijuana, meth, gasoline.... any smoke in my home is MY OWN decision.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Cuts right to the point - freedom, liberty, priavacy rights, and especially about the right of a person to CHOOSE.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:07
Law & Policy sections
Co-Moderator

58 y/o Male from USA - Washington
CaptainTripps must mainline MedlineCaptainTripps must mainline MedlineCaptainTripps must mainline MedlineCaptainTripps must mainline MedlineCaptainTripps must mainline MedlineCaptainTripps must mainline MedlineCaptainTripps must mainline MedlineCaptainTripps must mainline MedlineCaptainTripps must mainline MedlineCaptainTripps must mainline MedlineCaptainTripps must mainline Medline
Points: 3,595, Level: 8 Points: 3,595, Level: 8 Points: 3,595, Level: 8
Activity: 18.4% Activity: 18.4% Activity: 18.4%

I have to agree with architect. We are talking about someones home. That is sacred in my opinion. It is the one place in this over managed society of ours that people have some measure of being allowed to be themselves.

I also think that it would be more objectionable to have people smoking on their doors steps and patios in multiple unit dwellings than in their actual apartments. I think more people would get second hand smoke that way. FYI, I don't smoke cigarettes and don't like cigarette smoke. But I support personal freedom, even though I know that is a very unpopular stance. Freedom begins at home.

But here is something else to consider and that is the smoking of other substances. In Washington it is legal to smoke marijuana, but not in public. If we had such a law here our new model marijuana law would be all but useless. You could not smoke in your home and could not smoke outside. Well I guess that is not completely true, if you can afford a house then I guess you could still smoke pot. But that would just be one more example that the only people who truly know freedom in America are those who can afford to buy it.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good point regarding personal freedom should be available to all members of society.
articulates importance of personal freedom, how it begins with a person's home - very good post!

Last edited by CaptainTripps; 17-03-2013 at 16:32.
Old 17-03-2013, 08:31
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Routemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,361, Level: 7 Points: 2,361, Level: 7 Points: 2,361, Level: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by baZING View Post
I had read about a similar bill to this a while ago... or maybe it was the same bill in an earlier stage. One thing that this article did not mention is the fact that smoking in a multi-unit building also exposes the other residents to a potential fire risk.

While cigarettes nowadays are safer and meant to extinguish after x amount of time of not being smoked, if someone were to fall alseep while smoking or just accidentally dropped a lit cigarette out of reach, there remains a very real possibility of a fire being started. The dangers of secondhand smoke have been pretty much proven, but there might not be anyone who lives on to get lung cancer or emphysema should someone burn down an apartment complex with a lit cigarette.
Well yes, but lots of things other than cigarettes can start fires, such as a gas ring left on. What are you going to do, ban people from cooking in their own homes? I hate this American and especially Californian tendency to treat adults like children who have to be constantly protected by the state from their stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baZING View Post
In principle, I feel that people should be free to do what they want with their own bodies and their own lives. But obviously the point here is that in multi-unit homes, other people are affected by the decision to smoke inside. I don't disagree that the bill somewhat targets those of lower socioeconomic status by its nature and that aspect of it is unfortunate, but frankly it's just not that hard to go outside to light up. I can't really see any reason to oppose this bill other than the principle of not wanting so much government control... and while I respect those who feel that way, I totally support this nonetheless.
Well for one thing, I don't think anyone has ever died of cancer because they caught a slight whiff of someone else's cigarette. A tiny amount of smoke accidentally coming into your flat is not the same as actually being in a smoke-filled room. Admittedly the smell itself can be annoying, but if anything, this is surely an argument for installing better ventilation systems in apartment blocks, rather than creating ludicrously restrictive legislation that prevents people from smoking in their own homes.

And if this bill goes through, you know it's only a matter of time before people start complaining about "their" air being polluted if they walk past someone standing outside their front door to have a smoke.
Old 17-03-2013, 15:10
Phungushead Phungushead is nu online
Twisted Depiction
Super Moderator

Male from United States
Phungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 22,896, Level: 21 Points: 22,896, Level: 21 Points: 22,896, Level: 21
Activity: 19.1% Activity: 19.1% Activity: 19.1%

Here is the text of the proposed bill, for anyone interested in the details...

[top] California Legislature—2013–14 Regular Session

Assembly Bill No. 746

Introduced by Assembly Member Levine
February 21, 2013

An act to add Article 4 (commencing with Section 118960) to Chapter 4 of Part 15 of Division 104 of the Health and Safety Code, relating to smoking.

LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL’S DIGEST

AB 746, as introduced, Levine. Smoking: prohibition in multifamily dwellings.

Existing law regulates the smoking of tobacco in various public places, prohibits the smoking of tobacco in a private residence that is licensed as a family day care home during its hours of operation and in those areas of the facility where children are present, and authorizes a landlord to prohibit the smoking of tobacco in the building or on the property.

This bill would prohibit the smoking of a cigarette or other tobacco products in all areas of multifamily dwellings, except those areas designated as areas where smoking is permitted, as specified. This bill would define, for the purposes of these provisions, multifamily dwellings to mean residential property containing 2 or more units with one or more shared walls, floors, ceilings, or ventilation systems. This bill would provide that any person who violates the requirements of the bill is guilty of an infraction. By creating a new crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.

This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this act for a specified reason.

Vote: majority. Appropriation: no. Fiscal committee: yes. State-mandated local program: yes.

The people of the State of California do enact as follows:

SECTION 1.

Article 4 (commencing with Section 118960) is added to Chapter 4 of Part 15 of Division 104 of the Health and Safety Code, to read:

Article 4. Smoking in Multifamily Dwellings 118960.

(a) The smoking of a cigarette, as defined in Section 8104556, or other tobacco product is prohibited in the units and all other areas of new and existing multifamily dwellings, except those areas that have been designated pursuant to subdivision as areas where smoking is permitted (c).

(b) For the purposes of this section, “multifamily dwelling” means residential property containing two or more units with one or more shared walls, floors, ceilings, or ventilation systems.

(c) The landlord, property manager, building owner, homeowners’ association, or other equivalent authority may designate an outdoor area where smoking is permitted if the area meets all of the following criteria:
(1) The area is located at least 20 feet from any unit or enclosed area where smoking is prohibited.

(2) The area does not include, and is at least 100 feet from, unenclosed areas primarily used by children and unenclosed areas with improvements that facilitate physical activity including playgrounds, swimming pools, and school campuses.

(3) The area includes no more than 10 percent of the total enclosed area of the multifamily dwelling for which it is designated.

(4) The area has a clearly marked perimeter and is identified by conspicuous signs.

(5) The area is completely within a confined area.

(6) The area does not overlap with any enclosed or unenclosed area in which smoking is otherwise prohibited.
(d) Any person who violates this section is guilty of an infraction and shall be punished by a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars ($100) for each violation.

(e) This section shall not be construed to preempt a city or county from enacting or enforcing an ordinance relating to smoking in multifamily dwellings if the ordinance is more stringent than this section.

SEC. 2.

No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution because the only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or school district will be incurred because this act creates a new crime or infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penalty for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of the Government Code, or changes the definition of a crime within the meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution.
Old 17-03-2013, 15:59
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from England
westie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way up
Points: 575, Level: 3 Points: 575, Level: 3 Points: 575, Level: 3
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

Do people have nothing better to do than come up with stupid laws?
It looks like that a law (in the UK) will be passed that makes it illegal to smoke in your car if you have children in it. I can see the point of this as it is an enclosed space & once when i was a kid in the back seat of a car i was hit in the face with a lit cig but that a front seat passenger tried to throw out the window & it blew back in. If it wasn't for me this could of ended bad as a lit cig on the back seat of a car could easily end in disaster, plus you should really be concentrating on driving & not smoking in a car.
But to ban smoking in your own home? Thats madness! I thought the US was the land of the free?
Old 17-03-2013, 22:29
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from Israel
MikePatton must live here.MikePatton must live here.MikePatton must live here.MikePatton must live here.MikePatton must live here.MikePatton must live here.MikePatton must live here.
Points: 1,635, Level: 6 Points: 1,635, Level: 6 Points: 1,635, Level: 6
Activity: 16.7% Activity: 16.7% Activity: 16.7%

I'm a smoker myself but I'm still happy to read about things like this, even though I absoulutely do not believe in prohibition, I think just the suggestion to ban tobacco might make some people see the hypocrisy in drug prohibition. People love looking down on illegal drugs and their users as if their drugs are so much better, perhas this might serve as a reality check.
Old 17-03-2013, 23:07
Silver Member

Male from United States
Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.
Points: 281, Level: 2 Points: 281, Level: 2 Points: 281, Level: 2
Activity: 0.0% Activity: 0.0% Activity: 0.0%

I wish this would happen in my town. I am tired of my downstairs neighbor smoking disgusting f*cking cigarettes all day and never going outside, let alone opening a window. It just so happens that all the smoke comes up through the closets, so my clothes and all my stuff being stored smell like a damn ashtray, also I shouldn't have to smell that. I thought about pouring something down into his unit but I am not really like that. That's sort of what it is like though- here, take this garbage I am spewing into your unit against your will and deal with it....

As far as personal rights, I guess I have to forfeit my right to fresh air inside my place because he can't step the hell outside?

Also why does my cat have to breathe that shit when she is pregnant?

Yes it disproportionately affects low income folks- both for better or for worse.

I am all for leaving the law out of it but why can't people have the common decency to smoke outside? Might help them cut back on their habit too and get some fresh air and get the hell off their couches, probably reduce cancer from secondhand smoking their own smoke too.
Old 17-03-2013, 23:41
Silver Member

47 y/o Male from United States
makin probably knows what they are talking about.makin probably knows what they are talking about.makin probably knows what they are talking about.makin probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 454, Level: 3 Points: 454, Level: 3 Points: 454, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I smoke occasionally so that could cloud my opinion a bit. But I feel this is a very bad idea, I can't believe that anyone could possibly agree with it.

Are they going to walk the neighborhood with tobacco sniffing dogs. If they hit on a house they consider this probable cause to enter.

I can see it now an entire unit walking the poor neighborhoods on a fishing expedition with the dogs searching houses at will.

prohibition of any kind has always been a failure.
Old 17-03-2013, 23:45
Silver Member

Male from United States
Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.Willyzh must live here.
Points: 281, Level: 2 Points: 281, Level: 2 Points: 281, Level: 2
Activity: 0.0% Activity: 0.0% Activity: 0.0%

No, they will come when I call them and say, "My downstairs neighbor won't stop smoking filthy goddamn cigarettes and it is f*cking up my airspace and I shouldn't have to smell that shit. Maybe a $100 fine will motivate their asses to step the f*ck outside."

It could save my life if they drop a cig on the couch and burn down my unit.
Old 18-03-2013, 08:50
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Routemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPACRoutemaster Flash must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,361, Level: 7 Points: 2,361, Level: 7 Points: 2,361, Level: 7

OK, if it's harming your quality of life then that sucks, agreed, and doing something about it would be great. But it sounds like a better idea than just banning people from smoking in their own homes would be to improve the ventilation system so the exhaust goes outside rather than into other people's apartments, wouldn't it?

I mean, presumably you wouldn't like it if your downstairs neighbour was constantly cooking strong-smelling food either, but there's no law being passed to stop people in apartment blocks doing that (unless there is, of course - wouldn't surprise me in California).
Old 18-03-2013, 12:41
Palladium Member

24 y/o Female from United States
runnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medline
Points: 4,036, Level: 9 Points: 4,036, Level: 9 Points: 4,036, Level: 9
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Why can't they leave the decision to the owners of the buildings, you know, the people actually responsible for them? It works for hotels, they can decide if they want to allow smoking and if they do they have designated smoking rooms. Apartment owners could do something like that, have a certain building or area that is just for smoking. Apartment owners can decide if they want to allow pets, if so what kind of pets/breeds, if you're allowed to put up curtains, when the pool and parking lot gates are locked, etc. Why not just leave them in charge of it? Then it's their problem (re: it's their time and money spent enforcing their rules).

I also want to point out to DF-ers not in the US that California is also known as "The Land of Air Pollution and Disgusting Smog." So imagine if you were smoking and I said "ew, gross" and moved out of your area and right behind the exhaust of an 18 wheeler where I proceeded to berate your decision to smoke (in between coughs) with a smug look on my face the whole time.

Living in CA and worrying about cigarette smoke would be like diving into shark infested waters covered in bloody chum and worrying that ninjas may kill you. Lol, that pretty much sums up the situation.

Last edited by runnerupbeautyqueen; 18-03-2013 at 12:49.
Old 18-03-2013, 13:07
R.I.P.

31 y/o Male from United States
dyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumdyingtomorrow is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13 Points: 8,663, Level: 13
Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0% Activity: 11.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerupbeautyqueen View Post
Why can't they leave the decision to the owners of the buildings, you know, the people actually responsible for them? It works for hotels, they can decide if they want to allow smoking and if they do they have designated smoking rooms. Apartment owners could do something like that, have a certain building or area that is just for smoking. Apartment owners can decide if they want to allow pets, if so what kind of pets/breeds, if you're allowed to put up curtains, when the pool and parking lot gates are locked, etc. Why not just leave them in charge of it? Then it's their problem (re: it's their time and money spent enforcing their rules).

I also want to point out to DF-ers not in the US that California is also known as "The Land of Air Pollution and Disgusting Smog." So imagine if you were smoking and I said "ew, gross" and moved out of your area and right behind the exhaust of an 18 wheeler where I proceeded to berate your decision to smoke (in between coughs) with a smug look on my face the whole time.

Living in CA and worrying about cigarette smoke would be like diving into shark infested waters covered in bloody chum and worrying that ninjas may kill you. Lol, that pretty much sums up the situation.
Thank you for saying it.

The idea that has poisoned American minds worse than any other is that everything has to be a Federal Law.

"OMG my neighbor's pet is shitting on my lawn" lets make a new federal regulation and another $500 billion dollar a year costing enforcement agency.

Share this on:

Tags
cigarette ban, smoking cigarettes