Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Psychological & social
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Psychological & social Psychological, social, mental health aspects of addiction & recovery.

Old 24-02-2013, 12:49
Silver Member

Female from Earth
Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.
Points: 1,844, Level: 6 Points: 1,844, Level: 6 Points: 1,844, Level: 6
Activity: 33.5% Activity: 33.5% Activity: 33.5%
Satisfaction for Recovery and Life .

Wow .. its almost the end of February already ! How time flies .. before too long we're all going to be rocking in community retirement centers Imagine that .. listening to rave/rock and trying to move to the beat . I guess those unfortunate enough to end up with parkinsons won't have to try too hard .

Seriously though , have any of you actually really thought about what growing old is going to be like for us in this century ..? Technology seems to be advancing at such a rate , the population is living to an older age , stress seems epidemic , social housing seems to be in shorter and shorter supply .. I reckon we're possibly going to be placed into 'retirement capsules' with permanent catheters and given 'retirement medication' for our DSM dysfunctional disorders , sedated to the edge of coma . Mind you .. isn't that what some of us are already doing ..? Sedating ourselves to the point of completely loosing touch with life and how it feels to be alive ..?
I think something has gone very wrong with how we live and i think this is the reason for all the stress we face . Maybe as a race things have gone too far and there is no going back or changing things enough to make much of a difference . Maybe all we can do now is try treat the symptoms . Maybe its a good thing that time flies ..

My conclusion is that we'd better try make the best of things on a day to day level before we hear our retirement capsule case door click shut !

So , what have you planned for your life for the week ahead ..? drug induced sedation or euphoria ..? Is this really a plan or is it opting out of one , opting out of life ..

Would it be that scary to consider an alternative ..? finding something to do ..? Why wallow in boredom .. its pretty boring to do this . At the same time you don't have to do anything out of the ordinary .. going for a walk , offering to shop for your elderly neighbour and then stopping for a cuppa afterwards , cultivating and nurturing , decorating , cooking a surprise cake for someone you appreciate , experimenting with cold water washing machine dyes , reading that book you never got around to , something academic , going exploring .. anything really .

I plan on taking a look at a cheap second hand push bike frame this week . 18'' frame , forks , bottom bracket and some other part i can't remember . A project that i'm pretty sure will yield satisfaction . I have never attempted a respray before .. should be a good learning experience too , with a bit of a giggle along the way to boot .

So , what one thing could you look into/do this week ..? What doing thing do you think would possibly yield short or long term satisfaction for you ..? What door could you open .. the magical thing about life is that you just never know where its going to lead . Not opening it on the other hand leads , well , it doesn't . lol .

Hey

Post Quality Evaluations:
Life is for living - before it's too late!
Old 01-03-2013, 15:45
Silver Member

Female from Earth
Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.
Re: Satisfaction for Recovery and Life .

Wow ... none of you can face logging out of Drugs Forum lolol ...

Above post ^^ lead to finding someone prepared to take me out on motorbike rides , plus someone who is restoring a motorbike .

I'm also picking up my other pushbike tomorrow ... an old 70's ladies racing/touring frame , attached to the rest of it obviously ... minus an inch or two .. the seat was restructured as i am such a short ass but just had to get that frame !

Anyone done anything ??

Hey
Old 01-03-2013, 17:52
Titanium Member

Female from Earth
Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.
Points: 2,753, Level: 7 Points: 2,753, Level: 7 Points: 2,753, Level: 7
Activity: 8.0% Activity: 8.0% Activity: 8.0%

Quote:
I reckon we're possibly going to be placed into 'retirement capsules' with permanent catheters and given 'retirement medication' for our DSM dysfunctional disorders , sedated to the edge of coma
Well, I have reached that age, and even though this is an international forum I can guarantee that wherever you are you'll hear my protests ! I shall not go quietly. I may even to strangle them with my catheters in order to escape.

I'm never bored. I still work, and outside of that I always have some project or three on the go at once. In recent years my health has forced me to slow down physically but my mind is still as busy as it ever was. Too busy most of the time.

And Hey, I'm envious! On my 'Do before I die' list I've always fancied a ride on a Harley And I stilll might manage absailing or skydiving but I doubt that I will do the trecking around my country that I once planned.

Enjoy that bike. I take it that the plans for a dog have been put on hold?

Lovely motivating post btw

T4K
Old 02-03-2013, 05:24

Female from United States
jakemoe needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%

I always buy cheap fix it stuff that I can actually make something out of someday. It's really cool to walk into my messy garage and notice a project here and there, when I can get to it. It's not like noticing I need to do laundry or dishes or other chores, it's the kind I can daydream about when the weather sucks or I don't feel good and look forward to. There are actually days that turn into night way to early because I have fun with junk. Maybe sounds pretty corny, but when you don't feel good physically most of the time you have to make the best of any motivation that actually comes with energy. I love that more than anything. I love that messy garage too.
To some of the younger members here it may sound a bit obvious, but you really have to use your mind and create good scenarios for yourself as time goes on. Sometimes it seems like work but most of the time it's refreshing and rewarding. I'm only 57 but I do know for a fact your attitude is crucial to your surviving old age and the pain that sometimes comes with it. It comes with practice so you should start now.
You two posters above me rock. I want to hang out with you guys.

"The winds of grace are always blowing, but we must raise our sails".

Nice positive attitude . Good imput .
Old 06-03-2013, 18:57
Silver Member

Female from Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirst4knowledge View Post

And Hey, I'm envious! On my 'Do before I die' list I've always fancied a ride on a Harley

T4K
Thirst4knowledge whats stopping you ..?

Hey
Old 06-03-2013, 23:12
Titanium Member

Female from Earth
Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.Thirst4knowledge really knows their shit.
Points: 2,753, Level: 7 Points: 2,753, Level: 7 Points: 2,753, Level: 7
Activity: 8.0% Activity: 8.0% Activity: 8.0%

@ Hey -Because I need to work my way through some more pressing things on that list first - and because I haven't yet summoned up the courage to approach some stranger who owns a Harley (when I find one) and see if I can persuade them to give a wrinkly a ride when that's probably not considered a cool pillion passenger to be seen with

@ Jakemoe - I'd probably find your junk filled garage fascinating. Hours used creatively just fly! I agree, attiitude is crucial to surviving old age - in fact , I'd go further and say that attitude is crucial to survival at any age.

Positive energising thoughts to both of you
T4K
Old 09-03-2013, 08:33
Silver Member

Female from Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirst4knowledge View Post
@ Hey -because I haven't yet summoned up the courage to approach some stranger who owns a Harley (when I find one) and see if I can persuade them to give a wrinkly a ride when that's probably not considered a cool pillion passenger to be seen with
Ahh that's no way to think about yourself !!

The way i see things is that we have to make the best of what we've got looks-wise , whatever age we are . Very few of us are super-models , besides , 'too perfect' can look a bit dull can't it .

I don't think age necessarily has to be thought of as un-cool . Get fit , don't eat too many burgers and cakes , buy a good eye liner and mascara , and be pleased with making the best of yourself . I believe this attitude shines through on a physical level in some way . There must be bits about you that you like ..? highlight those bits . Love those bits .

Now , confidence . This is easy but scary at first . When you do eventually feel the fear but do it anyway it really gives you a lift , and makes things easier the second time around .

Maybe start off simply by posting a stick-it note to someones petrol tank ..? See if you get a reply . Alternatively just ask someone if they mind you taking photos of their bike for a project or something .. i'd imagine most bikers would feel proud to be asked this . As you take photo's ask questions .. find out about them and their bike . Again , i'm sure most bikers would love to talk about their bikes . Take it from there .

You never know .. you might make some good friends in the process too .

Good luck practicing being brave !

Hey

Ps the dog is on hold yes . I guess i want my cake and eat it as i still would love to have one , but i have spent so much time out and about i was wondering whether it would be fair to have one . I'll see how things go .

positive and caring attitude
Old 10-03-2013, 10:28
Titanium Member

42 y/o Male from Australia
out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.
Points: 2,214, Level: 7 Points: 2,214, Level: 7 Points: 2,214, Level: 7
Activity: 11.6% Activity: 11.6% Activity: 11.6%

Well I am due for my neck spinal surgery in the morning. I haven't been able to play classical guitar for 8 months due to this injury and have lost all my performing work after having been a musician for 25 years. After all that study and practice I am scared that I will not find satisfaction again. I am worried that I may have permanent damage. So I am scared.

But the last 25 years and three music degrees have not been a waste. They have been a joy and I am now looking forward to finding satisfaction in my new career that I have just embarked on. I am doing a masters of nursing majoring in mental health and am looking forward with great satisfaction to helping others.

I intend to continue playing/performing/teaching at whatever capacity I am able. And I intend to continue with my meditation. Meditation will play a crucial role in my recovery and hopefully it will help me find satisfaction in life for as long as I have.

Best wishes to the drugs-forum family!
Old 16-03-2013, 18:04
Silver Member

Female from Earth

How'd the surgery go ..?

You will not get music to leave your system . How about picking up that guitar ..!??

Hey

Hell's Highway – Back in Black forget the lyrics and the fact that it isnt AC/DC .. play it
Old 19-03-2013, 11:50
Titanium Member

out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.

Well surgery was a success according to the neurosurgeons....But fuck I'm in some pain. I guess I will feel whether it was a success in another week or so once the surgical wound heals up.

No I will not get music out of my system that is true. I have played music my whole life and performed 1000's of gigs. I actually did pick up the guitar to play a piece for a student on Monday and even though it was only second grade classical, it felt good to play again!

I hope you are traveling ok and keeping the spirits up! Although mine go up and down like a yoyo!

If I have to play ac/dc you have to play: the sea and cake "up on crutches" deal? :P
Old 23-03-2013, 12:47
Silver Member

Female from Earth

Traveling ..?

out-there , i hate the song lolol ... it has no sole ! or i'm missing something ... might be a guitar ..?

Its snowing again here .. gonna look for some 'warmer music' .

Take it easy and stop listening to drivel ;-)

Hey X
Old 05-04-2013, 00:02
Titanium Member

Hmm I'm sorry you didn't like that song. I hope you got the correct one. That is one of the longest standing and coolest underground bands from Chicago. They've been around for about 20 years and have a small but strong following. Anyway, we all have different tastes. Lots of hugsss.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:28
Silver Member

Female from Earth

out_there .. i was joking when i said 'stop listening to drivel'

Old 07-04-2013, 02:39
Titanium Member

That's ok I thought you were joking I certainly don't listen to drive But I do listen to a varied range of things, just not top 40ish type stuff. Hugssss back at ya!

Share this on: