Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 21-02-2013, 18:00

21 y/o Male from France
Jordan34660 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6%
Oxazepam great for anxiety

Hello, AFOAF has been on oxazepam for now 6 months, and thinks it works great for anxiety. Especially generalized anxiety disorder (also good for agoraphobia). He thinks it's underprescribed in the US, but in France it's easy to get. Who has experienced oxazepam? Please share your experiences in this thread

Post Quality Evaluations:
please don't use AFOAF or SWIM, there's no self incrimination rule, we encourage you to speak plainly
Old 22-02-2013, 09:19
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from France
Maxfrombx is on the way upMaxfrombx is on the way upMaxfrombx is on the way upMaxfrombx is on the way up
Points: 600, Level: 3 Points: 600, Level: 3 Points: 600, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Oxazepam great for anxiety

Yes oxazepam, which is a metabolite of diazepam, is often prescribed, especially to alcoholics, because the liver doesn't need to process it.

Anyway it's like every benzo, tolerance occurs, and I have seen people endind with 12-15 oxazepam 50mg/day. According to the Ashton benzo chart, 20mg=10mg of diazepam, so that would be more than 300 mg of diazepam a day!

It's also a very short benzo (I think that its half-life is between 4 and 20H)

Once I made a bad combo with phenibut and oxazepam, and ended up in the ER. They wouldn't believe that I had taken some benzo because my blood test was already negative when they did it.
Old 22-02-2013, 09:34
Titanium Member

Male from Finland
Petri6 probably knows what they are talking about.Petri6 probably knows what they are talking about.Petri6 probably knows what they are talking about.Petri6 probably knows what they are talking about.Petri6 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 496, Level: 3 Points: 496, Level: 3 Points: 496, Level: 3
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%

Apart from chlordiazepoxide and some others which are not available in my country, oxazepam is perhaps the weakest benzo. It has a long onset and a short duration. It's also more sedating than clonazepam for example. So, if you have a low tolerance to benzos and don't overdo it, oxazepam can be a great help. Even with a larger tolerance it works but then you have to take a more hefty dose (I'd say at least 50mg if you are really anxious).

From what I've gathered from reading foreign forums, oxazepam is truly underprescribed in the US and most doctors go straight to alprazolam which in my country would pretty much be the last line of defense when serious panic attacks are in play. These days alprazolam is even rarely given for patients which don't have a clinical history of its use.
Old 22-02-2013, 11:30
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from France
Maxfrombx is on the way upMaxfrombx is on the way upMaxfrombx is on the way upMaxfrombx is on the way up
Points: 600, Level: 3 Points: 600, Level: 3 Points: 600, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Why do you call oxazepam a weak benzo? I had a certain tolerance to diazepam when I first tried it and 50mg truly calmed me down.

I found it more powerful than 6mg of bromazepam too.

I agree that alprazolam should not be prescribed to the patients so easily.
Old 22-02-2013, 19:18

21 y/o Male from France
Jordan34660 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6%

I agree, oxazepam has to be one of the weakest benzos out there. But it still has powerful sedative effects, better than alprazolam and klonopin in terms of sedativeness (is that a word? lol)
Old 22-02-2013, 21:08
Silver Member

Female from Cote d'Ivoire
doesit is a decent psychonaut.doesit is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 232, Level: 2 Points: 232, Level: 2 Points: 232, Level: 2
Activity: 10.1% Activity: 10.1% Activity: 10.1%

some posters are speaking total crap here,how this benzo is better then say valium which has onset of 2-4h and can last up to 48h,anxiety varies from person to person there are people who have lets call it a stage fright,meaning they can function normally in everyday life,but struggle in public presentation or one on one meetings.Other group is people who can go into panic in any time or event,egtanding in a Que,walking in the street and other everyday situations which are unpredictable and can cause panic attacks and anxiety first time they wake up in the morning.So it these benzos help for you i say well for you,but dont go bragging how one benzo should be harder to obtain then other,as myself tried different benzos and example like clonazepam is total rubbish for my body,not only it gives me heartburn but also makes my body feel numb,same for bromazepam it first benzo to be inveted but dont feel anything while taking it.So theres many people taking different benzos but most of them are made for different purposes and have different effects.Only topic i could agree some of them are less addictive then others,but if followed guidelines any benzo taken for more then 12weeks gonna get you addicted.

doesit added 1 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan34660 View Post
I agree, oxazepam has to be one of the weakest benzos out there. But it still has powerful sedative effects, better than alprazolam and klonopin in terms of sedativeness (is that a word? lol)
why would you want to be sedated ? most benzo users are looking for relief not sedation,unless you are chasing numbness that any benzo in high dosage will eventually induce.

disrepecful to other users

Last edited by doesit; 22-02-2013 at 21:08. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 23-02-2013, 02:18
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from Ireland
tdv123 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 207, Level: 2 Points: 207, Level: 2 Points: 207, Level: 2
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doesit View Post
some posters are speaking total crap here,how this benzo is better then say valium .
Whereabouts in the thread did anybody say that one particular benzo is better than an other?
Old 25-02-2013, 07:54
Titanium Member

Male from Finland
Petri6 probably knows what they are talking about.Petri6 probably knows what they are talking about.Petri6 probably knows what they are talking about.Petri6 probably knows what they are talking about.Petri6 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 496, Level: 3 Points: 496, Level: 3 Points: 496, Level: 3
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfrombx View Post
Why do you call oxazepam a weak benzo? I had a certain tolerance to diazepam when I first tried it and 50mg truly calmed me down.

I found it more powerful than 6mg of bromazepam too.

I agree that alprazolam should not be prescribed to the patients so easily.
Because it is. As you already stated, 20mg of oxazepam = 10mg of diazepam, so 50mg would equal to 25 mg of diazepam, which is quite a lot in one go even with certain tolerance. Persons with severe anxiety are taking up to six milligrams of clonazepam or alprazolam a day (some even more but 6mg is the maximum of usual dosage range for anxiety recommended by the Finnish Medicines Agency), so a single 30mg or even a 50mg tablet of oxazepam wouldn't relief their anxiety very much. As I already stated, oxazepam is also quite sedating, perhaps even more so than diazepam, so that could also be one of the reasons why you felt truly calmed down. Bromazepam is not available in my country so unfortunately I haven't tried it but from what I've heard it's also quite a weak benzo.

Petri6 added 17 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doesit View Post
some posters are speaking total crap here,how this benzo is better then say valium which has onset of 2-4h and can last up to 48h,anxiety varies from person to person there are people who have lets call it a stage fright,meaning they can function normally in everyday life,but struggle in public presentation or one on one meetings.Other group is people who can go into panic in any time or event,egtanding in a Que,walking in the street and other everyday situations which are unpredictable and can cause panic attacks and anxiety first time they wake up in the morning.So it these benzos help for you i say well for you,but dont go bragging how one benzo should be harder to obtain then other,as myself tried different benzos and example like clonazepam is total rubbish for my body,not only it gives me heartburn but also makes my body feel numb,same for bromazepam it first benzo to be inveted but dont feel anything while taking it.So theres many people taking different benzos but most of them are made for different purposes and have different effects.Only topic i could agree some of them are less addictive then others,but if followed guidelines any benzo taken for more then 12weeks gonna get you addicted.
First of all, saying that somebody is speaking total crap is very hostile and definitely something that is not welcomed in this forum, especially when no one has made comments warranting such a labelling. You should also but space between your sentences as your post is very hard to read. Please note that this is an international forum, so also mention the active ingredient of the medicine instead or in addition to the brand name (eg. Valium=diazepam).

I also have tried and have experience with several different benzos (eleven to be exact). Of course benzos that are more addictive and have more abuse potential should be harder to get than the ones that have less of these qualities. This doesn't mean that persons who have a legitimate medical condition that warrants the use of such benzos shouldn't be able to get them. For instance, if one is suffering from panic attacks, alprazolam is superior in stopping them. For general anxiety however, milder benzos should be the first line of treatment and only if they prove uneffective, should one mover up the ladder to harder benzos. This is the same thing as with treating pain, nobody should be prescribed oxycodone for a mild headache.

Lastly, I'm sorry that clonazepam didn't work out for you.

Very well put.

Last edited by Petri6; 25-02-2013 at 08:06. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 25-02-2013, 20:34
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from Ireland
tdv123 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 207, Level: 2 Points: 207, Level: 2 Points: 207, Level: 2
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri6 View Post

First of all, saying that somebody is speaking total crap is very hostile and definitely something that is not welcomed in this forum, especially when no one has made comments warranting such a labelling. You should also but space between your sentences as your post is very hard to read. Please note that this is an international forum, so also mention the active ingredient of the medicine instead or in addition to the brand name (eg. Valium=diazepam).

Just take a look at the guys posting history, he clearly has no respect for any members on this forum. Either that or he's just trolling & a pretty bad troll at that.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:15
Silver Member

55 y/o Female from United States
GossamerWings393 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1
Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0%

After being on Ativan for years, my MD recently switched me over to 15 mg oxazepam/bid. The onset of action is slower, but it does a better job of keeping my anxiety in check.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02
Titanium Member

Female from Earth
Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.Diabolicaldoll really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,026, Level: 4 Points: 1,026, Level: 4 Points: 1,026, Level: 4
Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1%

I was prescribed Oxazepam for 6 weeks when I was going through a really tough time with anxiety and found it to be fantastic for helping my anxiety.

Oxazepam is seen as being one of the benzos with the least abuse potential in the benzodiazepine family. Of course there are cases were Oxazepam has been abused but I personally found it to have no recreational effects. I personally would like to see Oxazepam prescribed instead of (the commonly prescribed) Diazepam. I have used both for anxiety, I found Oxazepam to be better at reducing/eliminating anxiety than Diazepam but found Diazepam to be easier to abuse than Oxazepam.

The people I know who have genuine anxiety and have been prescribed benzos, always seem to be prescribed Diazepam or Temazepam and the majority of those who have been prescribed these have had addiction, tolerance and withdrawal problems. I don't know anyone else who has been prescribed Oxazepam.

I was prescribed 10mg with dose "one to be taken when needed".

I found the following thread that has some pretty useful information on Oxazepam, especially the study posts that Jakelta posted.

Oxazepam Megathread.

It seems there is a popular opinion on Oxazepam having very low abuse potential but being great for anxiety. I'm not sure how effective it is in treating insomnia or alcoholics as I have no experience with this but they definitely helped me get to sleep. It usually takes Oxazepam around 30 minutes to work making it a short acting benzo and therefore making it brilliant for treating anxiety attacks or short episodes of anxiety. Here's the thing though, all though the abuse potentiL is low, it is still easy to build up tolerance so I would suggest that you only take Oxazepam when and if you need it.

In short, the popular opinion is that Oxazepam is brilliant for medical use but isn't for recreational use.
Old 09-03-2013, 23:01
Titanium Member

48 y/o Male from Earth
bobes is a decent psychonaut.bobes is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 201, Level: 2 Points: 201, Level: 2 Points: 201, Level: 2
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

i have substance abuse issues. i took oxazepam for many years never needing to increase my dosage and never had any trouble stopping even cold turkey after 2 years (not advised for benzos).
i had previously abused xanax. it was a great help for me.

Share this on:

Tags
oxazepam