Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Amphetamine > Adderall
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 13-02-2013, 22:31

26 y/o Male from United States
bksabbath should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Beta blockers work great for Adderall's physical side effects

I took 30 mg of Adderall appx. two hours ago. Once the rush set in, I became very jittery and shaky, which was obviously an unpleasant feeling. I took one 20mg dose of a beta blocker I'm prescribed (Propranolol) and now my body is completely relaxed and I'm free to enjoy the high without Adderall's physical side effects such as high blood pressure and shakiness. I'd definitely recommend having a beta blocker in the toolset for Adderall's negative physical side effects.

A word of warning though...I found this on Wikipedia- "Beta blockers must not be used in the treatment of cocaine, amphetamine, or other alpha-adrenergic stimulant overdose. The blockade of only beta receptors increases hypertension, reduces coronary blood flow, left ventricular function, and cardiac output and tissue perfusion by means of leaving the alpha-adrenergic system stimulation unopposed.[28] The appropriate antihypertensive drugs to administer during hypertensive crisis resulting from stimulant abuse are vasodilators such as nitroglycerin, diuretics such as furosemide and alpha blockers such as phentolamine."

Apparently it's extremely dangerous to take a beta blocker in the case of an amphetamine overdose.
Old 16-02-2013, 19:15

26 y/o Male from United States
bksabbath should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Re: Beta blockers work great for Adderall's physical side effects

I can no longer recommend this. After the last pill that day I took another 60mg Propranolol to try to lower my blood pressure and heart rate. Instead, they skyrocketed and I got severe hypertension. Not fun.

Post Quality Evaluations:
responsible and relevant post on a serious drug interaction
Old 16-02-2013, 20:37
Policy, Various & Reviews
Co-Moderator

49 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%
Re: Beta blockers work great for Adderall's physical side effects

The increased availability of norepinephrine during amphetamine use may produce changes in heart rate and blood pressure. My own experience of amphetamine use includes bradycardia (heart rate around 40 beats per minute) and tachycardia (over 120), as well as hypertension and hypotension.

Beta blockers can have intrinsic sympathomimetic activity (ISA). This means that they have the capacity to stimulate adrenergic receptors (via partial agonist activity). Propranolol is less cardioselective than some other beta-blockers, which might increase the risk of adverse interactions with amphetamines and epinephrine/norepinephrine. However, 'cardioselective' beta-blockers (such as Bisoprolol) are only relatively selective, so the potential remains.

The British National Formulary (February 2013) states that there is an:
Quote:
increased risk of severe hypertension and bradycardia when non-cardioselective beta-blockers given with adrenaline (epinephrine), also response to adrenaline (epinephrine) may be reduced.

Last edited by Mindless; 19-02-2013 at 15:29. Reason: typo

Share this on: