Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Amphetamines addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Amphetamines addiction Support for coping with Amphetamine-, Meth- and Ecstasy- addiction and Amphetamine addiction treatment.

Old 28-01-2013, 23:09
Mercury Member

34 y/o Male from Earth
xx79xx needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 7.9% Activity: 7.9% Activity: 7.9%
what is the difference between Amphetamine(Speed) and Methamphetamine(Crystal Meth)

I have never done Meth but have done my fair share of speed pills and the "good' ones boy do they make you horny! Is it just me?
Wow there is some REALLY good speed around here compared to what there used to be around 2007 or so...
Whats the difference between "Speed" and "Meth"?

Post Quality Evaluations:
use the search engine for info regarding differences; of amph (speed) and n-methylamph(meth)
Old 30-01-2013, 19:33
Silver Member

Male from United States
Pyron is a decent psychonaut.Pyron is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 162, Level: 2 Points: 162, Level: 2 Points: 162, Level: 2
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%
Re: what is the difference between Amphetamine(Speed) and Methamphetamine(Crystal Met

Well, first off, I'd avoid using terms like "speed" because some people refer to meth and speed as separate entities, and some people use them interchangeably. Chemically, the actions that meth and other amphetamines have pharmacologically are pretty much the same, which is that they cause the release of massive amounts of dopamine into the synaptic cleft. This is not to be confused with cocaine or other psychostimulant drugs like Ritalin which are dopamine reuptake inhibitors. That being said, there isn't a lot of difference between meth and other amphetamines except for minor differences in effects and potency. Methamphetamine is incredibly powerful, and has a bigger effect than other prescription amphetamines but the core principles are the same. The differences come from what levels each of the neurotransmitters are balanced at that depend on what specific amphetamine substance it is, the most notable of which are serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine.

However, there are most certainly amphetamine substances that are not at all like most other amphetamines or meth, the most commonly known of these being MDMA. While MDMA is a part of the amphetamine class, it's effects are considerably different, since they have much more to do with serotonin than with dopamine or norepinephrine. As a result the effects are different.
Old 30-01-2013, 21:31
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from United States
JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: what is the difference between Amphetamine(Speed) and Methamphetamine(Crystal Met

Meth is both stronger and passes over the blood brain barrier quicker so it gives a better rush than regular amphetamine. Although regular amphetamine is a great high(if you are into that type of thing), methamphetamine is way better IMO. This also makes meth way more addictive too.

Then you have to consider with even pharmaceutical grade meds that isomers play a role too. For instance an adderal is a mixed isomer amphetamine. I think most street produced amphetamine is too. Methamphetamine now is made mostly with ephedrine or pseudoephedrine giving only the D isomer which is a great deal more euphoric than the L isomer or racemic mixture. Enough about that though just know that meth is a great deal more euphoric, hits quicker, last longer, and IMO can steal your soul if you let it!

I think comparing methamphetamine to amphetamine is similar to comparing heroin to morphine even though these drug classes are far apart. Like Heroin is to meth as morphine is to heroin. Both meth and heroin cross the BBB quicker than their counterparts morphine and amphetamine. They are also both stronger than each other and are the "king" of their classes so to speak. Sorry if this sounds misleading but it's how I view it.
Old 31-01-2013, 02:33
Silver Member

Male from United States
derpahderp must live here.derpahderp must live here.derpahderp must live here.derpahderp must live here.derpahderp must live here.derpahderp must live here.derpahderp must live here.
Points: 1,952, Level: 6 Points: 1,952, Level: 6 Points: 1,952, Level: 6
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Quote:
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...37&postcount=8
Remember that amphetamine not only gives us extra dopamine, but it also changes the way dopamine re uptake works. This increases the amount of dopamine our brain releases, but we have to stimulate the release with enjoyable activities.
The above posters do have the right track in explaining the differences and thought I'd put a bit more information in regards to the effects and euphoric basics.

Also, in regards to the street variety of classification that methamphetamine or meth category does increase that strength from your normal speed or amphetamine category. Between both they aren't necessarily physically addictive but very much so pyschologically. Taking the triggers from being able to feel the same about certain things such as sex, normal day activities and having a general feeling of wanting to be inactive due to receptor inactivity fyi: I use inactivity very loosely.

So depending on what definition you're looking for, Im thinking speed defined as amphetamine and also depending on your region. If you're talking about speed as in the classification of an illicit side then I'd see it as ice, methamphetamine, 'biker mix' and or the way it might have been created around 2007 and to what you're referencing to.

See serotonin and Dopamine definitions if you need more details.
Old 31-01-2013, 03:09
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.Dr.Evil really knows their shit.
Points: 1,653, Level: 6 Points: 1,653, Level: 6 Points: 1,653, Level: 6
Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8%

Here are the biological/chemical differences explained simply

The difference is in their chemical structures there is an extra methyl group (-CH3) on methamphetamine. This has several effects that account for how different these very similar drugs are.

1. Methampetamine is more lipid soluble. this mean it will cross the blood-brain barrier more quickly and enter cells faster than amphetamine will (this is the same difference between heroin and morphine)
2. Methamphetamine is more stable than amphetamine. This means that it takes longer for the body to break it down (MAOs have a harder time acting upon it)
3. I am not positive how the methyl group affects how strongly methamphetamine binds to its targets as compared to amphetamine but I would guess that it binds a little more broadly and stronger than amphetamine. This is because more lipid soluble compounds of the same class tend to have stronger binding
4. Methamphetamine is metabolized into amphetamine. As you can guess this increases its strength a lot, because some of the Meth is converted into an active drug instead of being inactivated.

Hope this answers your question

---Dr.Evil

best answer to what the difference between amphetamine and meth is.
good addition of information for the OP
Old 31-01-2013, 03:36
Research Chemicals Forum
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Phenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,872, Level: 20 Points: 19,872, Level: 20 Points: 19,872, Level: 20
Activity: 28.3% Activity: 28.3% Activity: 28.3%

Quote:
2. Methamphetamine is more stable than amphetamine. This means that it takes longer for the body to break it down (MAOs have a harder time acting upon it)
The half-lives of the two drugs are actually very similar, both typically around 12 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
4. Methamphetamine is metabolized into amphetamine. As you can guess this increases its strength a lot, because some of the Meth is converted into an active drug instead of being inactivated.
Amphetamine is only a very minor metabolite of methamphetamine in humans, so its contribution to the effects of the drug is largely negligible. The N-methyl group that distinguishes between amphetamine and methamphetamine is rarely cleaved. Most of the drug is excreted unchanged, or with para-hydroxylation of the phenyl ring, sometimes followed by conjugation of the hydroxyl group.

Metabolism of 14C-methamphetamine in man, the guinea pig and the rat

for the further details and differences added into the discussion; thank you
Great info

Share this on:

Tags
meth, speed

» New Threads
My high Loperamide results...
Last post by haxard
3 Replies, 80 Views
M1 vs MDMA?