Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Heroin
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 23-01-2013, 21:24

22 y/o Male from United States
ndleslamma should review received reputation comments.
Points: 89, Level: 1 Points: 89, Level: 1 Points: 89, Level: 1
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
missed a shot, hand is super swollen, freaking out

I made up a rinse off my cooker and when I shot it, I missed, and now my hand is super swollen, I shot further down my arm like near where it bends and got bumps all the way down which is normal but then one or two of my fingers swelled up like 2 or 3 times its normal size I cant even close my finger is this normal??
Old 23-01-2013, 21:27
Banned

Male from Uruguay
drwhooo should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Re: missed a shot, hand is super swollen, freaking out

Can be depending on the bacteria. Run under hot water and massage if it does not improve go to hospital or try amd get some antibiotics
Old 23-01-2013, 22:09

I REALLY don't wanna go to the hospital does anyone have another explanation? my hand feels totally normal its just a little swollen should I be worried?
Old 23-01-2013, 22:14
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Motorway is captain of the psychonauts.Motorway is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 310, Level: 2 Points: 310, Level: 2 Points: 310, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

No disrespect but swelling on that scale should be seen by a professional.

Post Quality Evaluations:
good harm reduction advice :)
Old 23-01-2013, 22:23
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,868, Level: 21 Points: 21,868, Level: 21 Points: 21,868, Level: 21
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%

Is there a reason why you don't want to go to the hospital?
People who use drugs should have no qualms about going to the hospital, or they should quit, because sometimes a hospital visit is going to be necessary.

I cant understand why a person would put their health at risk, surly that should be the most important thing?

A finger that has swollen to 3 times its normal size sounds pretty serious.
I cant imagine that there is any reason stopping you getting checked out that could be worse than losing a digit?

Keep an eye on it, you might have no other choice.
Be careful.

spot on common sense reply with an excellent observation that people who use drugs should understand hospital visits are often part of life!
Old 23-01-2013, 22:30

35 y/o Female from United States
daddyslittlejunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Yep I agree go to the er sounds like you missed and something was injected along with what you intended. Don't be afraid to get checked out. It's better than losing your am or life. Good luck.
Old 23-01-2013, 23:21
Titanium Member

42 y/o Female from United States
Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 858, Level: 4 Points: 858, Level: 4 Points: 858, Level: 4
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

going to a hospital, urgent care or doctor would be ideal; if you will not do any of those there are other steps to take to help yourself. getting an infection or abscess from a miss is not 100% guaranteed, but it a very high possibility. please keep a close watch over the area, as an abscess can result in the loss of limb or life.

You will know if it becomes infected & you have an abscess. The area will be very hot to the touch. There is also swelling & a great deal of pain. Abscesses are incredibly painful! If this happens, you need to seek medical care promptly! Attempting to drain an abscess yourself is extremely dangerous. To make sure it is properly done, you need to see a medical professional.

keep heat on the swollen area. apply a hot pad & keep it on as much as possible. take an antihistamine and some anti-inflammatory medicine; just be cautious of antihistamine usage along with heroin usage.

depending on where in the US you reside, there are places to go that deal with addicts on a daily basis. you may feel more comfortable seeing a doctor at a place like that versus a hospital. Do you use a needle exchange? often times needle exchanges have doctors or medical interns that volunteer a few days a week. the needle exchange i frequented had a wonderful intern 2 days a week. he was very nonjudgmental & helpful.

Methadone clinic's often have doctors that volunteer to help as well. Before I quit shooting heroin, I attempted a methadone detox. There was a doctor & intern that saw patients at the beginning of treatment & as needed. They also saw patients that were not enrolled in their (or any) program because people need to have access to medical assistance. Especially addicts that are using iv drugs.

Listen, I understand your fear of utilizing a hospital, but sometimes one just needs to bite the bullet & go. Doctors are there to help people; this includes junkies. Sometimes they are judgmental, but most times they are kind, helpful, caring & just want to treat your medical problem's. If you are worried about cost, don't be. All public hospitals, in the US, must treat a person irregardless of their ability to pay. Many hospitals, especially religious (Catholic, Protestant, e.g.,) have amazing programs for indigent (poor, uninsured) people.

If your miss turns into an infection losing your arm or your life becomes a very real possibility. If you are going to be a drug user, especially an iv heroin user you need to accept the probability that sometimes you will need medical help. It is near impossible to stay sterile enough to never be exposed to risk of bacterial infection.

Excellent advice

Last edited by Frmrjunkie; 24-01-2013 at 15:54.
Old 24-01-2013, 23:29

the swelling went down over night and is back to its normal size. hospital visits do not need to be part of a drug users life.

"hospital visits do not need to be part of a drug users life" that kind of over-confidence and ignorant thinking is what leads to people getting amputations or DYING. dont spray bullshit like that as if it were true/factual.
Old 24-01-2013, 23:59
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,868, Level: 21 Points: 21,868, Level: 21 Points: 21,868, Level: 21
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndleslamma View Post
the swelling went down over night and is back to its normal size. hospital visits do not need to be part of a drug users life.
This time you took a chance, and you got away with it.
I would not take this as a sign that you should treat any further potentially dangerous situations in the same way.

If a user takes every precaution there may still come a time when either an accident happens, be that a swollen finger or and overdose. While not every user might ever end up needing a hospital visit, they should understand that there is always the possibility it might happen and they should not have any reason not to do so.

No one really wants to go to the hospital, but sometimes its essential.
Old 25-01-2013, 13:13
Titanium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.
Points: 1,526, Level: 5 Points: 1,526, Level: 5 Points: 1,526, Level: 5
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%

I really don't think this was bacteria, sounds like it happened far too quickly for it to be a bacterial infection, plus now it's gone away on its own it suggests which wouldn't happen if it was an infection.

I personally think you hit an artery, that's exactly what happens and since the swelling wasn't localised (ie not at the injection site) then it makes it even more likely this was the result of hitting an artery where at least some of it has went in.

I can understand a reluctance to seek medical attention but in my own case I say if it isn't better in 24 hours or gets worse then it's time to seek medical attention. Anything that gets worse after 24 hours is likely to be the start of an infection or serious tissue damage which will likely get infected as well. These things don't get better on their own and only antibiotics can help.
Old 31-01-2013, 03:30

31 y/o Male from United States
neofrost83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1

This happened to my dog too...it's not bacteria. You missed your vein and hit your artery! Arteries take blood away from the heart hence the swollen hand. Its never a bad idea to seek medical attention...but in this case MOST LIKELY you hit an artery and the swelling goes awsy on its own after scaring the ever living shit outta you!!! Take a bath if it helps you chill. Nonetheless happy hunting.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07

33 y/o Male from Australia
Gunther81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

I have had the same problem first time over a period of 48 hours it went down by its self. The second time the swelling remained for 3 days I went to the doctor and got told to go to the emergency department asap. Upon arrival I was rushed in ahead of a full room of waiting patients. Doctor drained the fluid from my hand. He said I would of lost it if I didn't come in. If it happens again why take the risk they are there to help and don't judge or contact police
Old 02-05-2013, 02:52
Silver Member

Female from Netherlands
Amsterdam-babe is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 120, Level: 1 Points: 120, Level: 1 Points: 120, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

I've had this as well and the swollen hand/arms heal with time, with me it took months before it was away.

A doctor or the hospital is indeed the best idea, but i'm a hypocrite for saying that considering I never went/go either whenever I have wounds.
Old 05-05-2013, 17:57

Male from United States
Sxmac should review received reputation comments.
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hospitals get a bunch of drug addicts DAILY, they do not give a FUCK, there not gonna arrest you, they honestly Probally don't even expect you to pay the bill, there gonna lecture you about not doing drugs, fix whatever is wrong, give you sum papers with a list of rehabs, I've talked to people at hospitals and they say "at least with drug addicts, we usually know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it, and if we don't we can easily find out". Honestly in your situation you can try going to a free clinic n telling them that you don't wanna go to a hospital, there just gonna prescribe u anti biotics and you will be on your way, but if ur hand is that big I'd go to the hospital bro, trust me they have seen WAY worse then a swollen hand.

pointless answer to a months ago question. Doesn't add to the thread and is on top judgemental in respect to personnel in Urgent care units.
Old 29-07-2013, 15:45

Female from United States
bangingrl26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

I have the same problem right now but my swelling is more in my finger & I am pretty sure I just hit an artery but also scared because I do not want to go to the hospital & we do not have free clinics where I live. I have tried laying my hand on an ice pack but has seem to only make my pain in my hand up toward my pinky finger worse!! Is there anything else I can try to help the swelling go down??????
Old 29-07-2013, 15:58
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,765, Level: 11 Points: 5,765, Level: 11 Points: 5,765, Level: 11
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangingrl26 View Post
I have the same problem right now but my swelling is more in my finger & I am pretty sure I just hit an artery but also scared because I do not want to go to the hospital & we do not have free clinics where I live. I have tried laying my hand on an ice pack but has seem to only make my pain in my hand up toward my pinky finger worse!! Is there anything else I can try to help the swelling go down??????
Best possible practice is to seek medical advice where concerned.

In the meantime, to avoid doing any further damage, please raise your hand above your heart and keep it there for 30 minutes. With your affected finger pointing upwards, so the blood is not flowing downwards into the finger. Put some pressure on the artery you hit to ensure the blood clots and doesn't continue to bleed internally. Not strong pressure, just firm with a gauze bandage or use your other hand. Careful not to occlude the blood supply to your hand, just a little bit of pressure is fine.

A helpful, efficient response within 15 minutes - thank you

Share this on:

Tags
abscess, heroin, missed heroin hits, missed iv shots, missed shot, missed shots, missed vein

» New Threads
HUGE ball from a miss in lower...
Last post by ima.get.her.doee
0 Replies, 1 Views
Quetiapine, Diazepam &...
Last post by Alka_holic
1 Replies, 33 Views
Ever tried this to your syrup?
Last post by Gallama
1 Replies, 66 Views
Suspected N-Isopropyl West Coast
Last post by devo420