Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Ethnobotanicals Psychedelic plants, Iboga, Calea, Blue lotus, Ephedra, Sinicuichi, Betel nut, etc.

Old 20-01-2013, 13:15
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United Kingdom
RClover is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 249, Level: 2 Points: 249, Level: 2 Points: 249, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Argemone Mexicana, Why not more popular?

As the title describes I am trying to find a reason this herb is not more popular. I want this thread to start as a source of information to do with this plant.

It is hard to find much information on this plant, even the wiki is just a brief sentence stating it has some recreational use, if you look through the forum search function as I did this is very little about this plant on here!

I have thought up a few questions to get this thread started. First of all though there do seem to be the few if you search hard enough on google, Reviews of this herb and I am yet to see a bad one, could this be an undiscovered good alternative to other smoking herbs?

Anyways first question always an important one for many people, Will it cause a positive on a drugs test? I am no scientist but it seems the active ingredients are opiates.

A few of the sources seem to say it is addictive, Considering its apparently limited use could this be because of desirable effects or actual physically addicting chemical in the plant?

I plan to order some and do a review on the consequence's of burning this herb, I'll report back.

(please note, can't order till payday)

RClover added 52 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

Quick bit of research to try and find the alkaloids of this plant,

1. A new protopine alkaloid, protomexicine and a new isoflavonoid, mexitin, together with 8-methoxydihydrosanguinarine, 13-oxoprotopine, rutin and quercetrin have been isolated from the aerial part of the methanolic extract of Argemone mexicana. The structures of these compounds have been established by various spectral data. The structure of protomexicine was further confirmed by heteronuclear multiple bond correlation experiment. Protomexicine and mexitin are new compounds, and other compounds are first reported from A. mexicana and genus Argemone.

2. A new benzylisoquinoline alkaloid, argemexirine, together with two known protoberberine alkaloids, dl-tetrahydrocoptisine and dihydrocoptisine, have been isolated from the methanolic extract of the whole plant of Argemone mexicana L. The compounds were identified by spectral and chemical evidence. This is the first report of these alkaloids in this plant species.

Sources:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21722040
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20013474

The first paragraph of information there was found by searching, Argemone Mexicana alkaloids.
The second paragraph found after searching Argemone Mexicana recreational alkaloids.

I will attempt to find information on these chemicals, I have very limited chemical knowledge though.

Protomexicine:

http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-S....28289606.html Information for the intelligent of you to decipher

8-methoxydihydrosanguinarine:

Found an interesting article here, Not that I understand it but it seems to be relating this chemical found in the plant to use in preventing the side effects of chemotherapy :S

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3...narine&f=false

Rutin:

According to wiki:

Rutin is one of the phenolic compounds and contributes to the antibacterial and antioxidant properties of the plant.

Quercetrin:

A natural yellow dye.

Argemexirine:

Now very caveman like, I am guessing because of the name being associated with the plant that this is meant to be the main photoactive chemical in the plant although I am struggling to find any data related to it !

Tetrahydrocoptisine:

Now the name reminds me of good old THC! I know it probably has nothing to do with it! Could it cause THC false positive, is it a cannabinoid of any recreational or medicinal value?

http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summ...?cid=5866#x332

Dihydrocoptisine:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2795004/

An article there on the effects it has on human supposendly!

I would be really grateful for anyone and everyones input in this thread, I've been off of DF for a while but you guys have always helped me out I don't want to seem as I'm relying on people for information hence the time spent trying to find the above sources, Sorry to the people who understand all this if I've posted useless information.

Last edited by RClover; 20-01-2013 at 13:15. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 24-01-2013, 21:49
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Earth
Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.Thirdedge really knows their shit.
Re: Argemone Mexicana, Why not more popular?

Its not so popular because it is harder to grow/source and way less effective than other poppies (opium etc).
It also has small pods that would take forever to bleed.
Add to that toxic alkaloids in the seeds and rumors of toxic side effects from repeated use.

The latex may have potential, I have smoked dried foliage and resin extract with little to no effects other than smoking any of the basic sedative herbs.

California poppy is safer and more effective. Same goes for red poppy.

Share this on: