Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Alcohol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Alcohol Alcohol, including absinthe, hard liquor, beer, wine, and other assorted spirits.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:37
Silver Member

34 y/o Female from United States
AlwaysSunnyinMI is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 206, Level: 2 Points: 206, Level: 2 Points: 206, Level: 2
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%
Found a bottle of unopened beer outside, is it safe to drink

Well, I was outside today cleaning up around the yard and came across an unopened glass beer bottle. What surprised me that noone noticed it when mowing the lawn. The label is mostly gone and the cap on bottle is a bit rusty but readable as budweiser. What you say, is it still safe to drink?
Old 12-01-2013, 01:39
Titanium Member

31 y/o Female from United States
MoonLitCrystal is on the way upMoonLitCrystal is on the way upMoonLitCrystal is on the way upMoonLitCrystal is on the way up
Points: 483, Level: 3 Points: 483, Level: 3 Points: 483, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Found a bottle of unopened beer outside, is it safe to drink

Hmmm...I would say drink at your own risk. You never know how long the beer has been sitting there. The last thing you want to do is drink a skunked one.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:52
Potter Potter is nu online
Platinum Member & Advisor

Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,223, Level: 20 Points: 19,223, Level: 20 Points: 19,223, Level: 20
Activity: 57.2% Activity: 57.2% Activity: 57.2%

open it up and smell it. if it smells fine, it's good to drink. As long as the beer isn't exposed to the air (like a cracked bottle), it shouldn't spoil and become toxic.

Then again it's Budweiser, it's not like that stuff can go badder. Why not sell it to some underage kids and go get a bottle of something nice ;-)

Post Quality Evaluations:
Haha great point, Budweiser is already not safe to drink straight from the brewery.
It's against the forum rules to suggest illegal activities. Underage drinking and selling alcohol without the proper licenses are illegal. And this is the opposite of harm reduction since there's no way to tell if the beer is actually safe.
Encouraging another member to break the law and encouraging him to drink something he has no idea is safe or not.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:55
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter View Post
open it up and smell it. if it smells fine, it's good to drink. As long as the beer isn't exposed to the air (like a cracked bottle), it shouldn't spoil and become toxic.

Then again it's Budweiser, it's not like that stuff can go badder. Why not sell it to some underage kids and go get a bottle of something nice ;-)
Ok. if if it doesn't smell funky, I'll drink it.
Old 12-01-2013, 17:46
Titanium Member

31 y/o Female from United States
MoonLitCrystal is on the way upMoonLitCrystal is on the way upMoonLitCrystal is on the way upMoonLitCrystal is on the way up
Points: 483, Level: 3 Points: 483, Level: 3 Points: 483, Level: 3

Let us know how it turns out. I'm curious to see if the thing was actually drinkable
Old 12-01-2013, 17:56
Palladium Member

34 y/o Male from United States
rawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 3,430, Level: 8 Points: 3,430, Level: 8 Points: 3,430, Level: 8
Activity: 3.9% Activity: 3.9% Activity: 3.9%

Just because it's not rotten don't mean it'll taste good. In my experience if any part of a beer can or bottle cap has had time to rust, it's bad. I've drank some old, old beer and it's nasty. Especially a Budweiser...why is a 33 year old even considering this, when a brand new bottle of bud should run you about $1?

I drank a rusted Busch can out of a cooler that had been in my trunk for 6 months once, it was sweet and flat and wierd. Don't know if it made me sick; I was very drunk when I had it and teh hangover was in the mail already. It's not something I would do again, even drunk.

Heavy ales tend to stand up to aging well, but there's a reason AB has always pulled there beer from shelves after it gets a few months of age...thin beers do NOT age well.
Old 12-01-2013, 18:48
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonLitCrystal View Post
Let us know how it turns out. I'm curious to see if the thing was actually drinkable
I opened it and it just didn't look right so dumped it down the sink. There was like a grayish mass of air on top that evaporated. The smell I couldn't really tell because my sniffer is bad and didn't dare taste it. Went to the store and bought fresh, cold beer off the shelf.
Old 12-01-2013, 18:57
Palladium Member

34 y/o Male from United States
rawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 3,430, Level: 8 Points: 3,430, Level: 8 Points: 3,430, Level: 8
Activity: 3.9% Activity: 3.9% Activity: 3.9%

Yeah, even in a hermetically sealed container beer has a shelf life. It may not go toxic but it will go butt-nasty. Beer is a food product and the alcohol content is not high enough to prevent spoilage. In most beers I think 6 months is about the limit, unless you're dealing with heavier ales.

That's actually part of the reasons light, highly carbonated beer became so popular - prior to the industrial age it was hard to make and even harder to keep from spoiling so people went with heavily hopped, thick alcohol-rich beers that kept forever. Lager got popular because it was something different, and now we're seeing the backlash and a resurgence in the old beer styles.

My wife hates going down the alcohol aisle at the grocery store with me, I'll spend 10 minutes buying a 6-pack because there are so many choices. Man, life can be rough sometimes...

Lol about your wife and beer choices... first world problems. But the reason you're getting this rep is for two good posts that were helpful and backed up with some good knowledge and personal experience.
Old 14-01-2013, 13:59
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from Earth
GoldGarden is a decent psychonaut.GoldGarden is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 638, Level: 3 Points: 638, Level: 3 Points: 638, Level: 3
Activity: 92.4% Activity: 92.4% Activity: 92.4%

In my experience rawbeer, most beers go skunky after 4 to 5 months, however, have a shelf life of up to a year... But yes, they go butt nasty at that point
Old 15-01-2013, 06:34
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from Canada
Nosferatus is on the way upNosferatus is on the way upNosferatus is on the way up
Points: 508, Level: 3 Points: 508, Level: 3 Points: 508, Level: 3
Activity: 17.3% Activity: 17.3% Activity: 17.3%

I think the more important question is why the op is even considering this, or why others are giving serious answers, consuming any food product that was found outside and that one is unsure of the origin of is something that should NEVER be done, barring some emergency. That's just common sense. All that being said, a high school friend of mine and I once drank some labatt's beer of unknown age, not sure of the age but it was in stubbies, so 80's maybe? That had sat however many summers and winters in a rickity little shed at my parents cabin, the results were pretty much what was expected, stomachs were turned, beer was sworn off for a while. The grey mass of air thing is quite vividly accurate, however, I have a defense, we were stupid kids, what's yours?

Good harm reduction advice
Old 15-01-2013, 14:56
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from Earth

Hey... I once had a can of coke that would have been from the 70s.... It was fine except for being flat

But yeah... I dunno... Some people are just curious souls Nosferatus
Old 17-01-2013, 18:06

61 y/o Male from United States
Tor_Hershman should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

Would you like to buy a bridge in Brooklyn???

Completely off topic and useless one liner.
Old 18-01-2013, 12:53
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from Earth

Tor... Yes, Yes, I would... I'd put up toll booths on that sucker and get my money back in no time.. And if they didn't like it, they could swim! Either way, win win!

Why, you selling one?
Old 28-01-2013, 10:28

Male from Mexico
DaveBowman is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1

Regarding taste, not safety: I'm no beer connoisseur, but I guess the whole idea of drinking cold beer (mandatory in commercial-industrial-big brand beer ads) is to reduce their crappy taste. The colder, the less alcohol punch in your taste buds, among other impressions in your mouth. If you decide to drink that bottle, consider drinking it very, very, very cold.
Old 28-01-2013, 13:39
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from Earth

You left out the fact he would need to clean it thoroughly Dave Bowman... Some dog (or person) may have pissed on that bottle... You never know... Also, it was rusted... So, you don't want to be drinking rust either....
Old 28-01-2013, 21:26
Titanium Member

22 y/o Female from Earth
Nanashi must think in IUPACNanashi must think in IUPACNanashi must think in IUPACNanashi must think in IUPACNanashi must think in IUPACNanashi must think in IUPACNanashi must think in IUPACNanashi must think in IUPACNanashi must think in IUPACNanashi must think in IUPACNanashi must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,859, Level: 8 Points: 2,859, Level: 8 Points: 2,859, Level: 8
Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6%

If you distill your own liquor already, it couldn't hurt to throw it in with your mash and distill out the alcohol.
Old 29-01-2013, 12:59
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from Earth

Purelyscientific,

I can't see that being a very beneficial thing to do.... He wouldn't get much benefit out of doing that, but then, he wouldn't get much benefit out of actually drinking it either...

He could always sell it on eBay... Some sucker or weirdo would buy it.... They buy some weird shit....

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, beer