Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Tramadol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 18:30
Silver Member

Female from United States
Katrina1 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 150, Level: 1 Points: 150, Level: 1 Points: 150, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
Suboxone and tramadol

I am currently weaning down on suboxone after ending my dilaudid habit. At 4mg suboxone a day and still tapering and feeling great.
I have a root canal scheduled next week. Can I take tramadol with the suboxone or is tramadol a strong enough opiate that it won't do any good? Is there any pain meds I can take while on suboxone?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:18
Titanium Member

41 y/o Female from United States
Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 861, Level: 4 Points: 861, Level: 4 Points: 861, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Suboxone and tramadol

rule of thumb....

take opiates? addicted? you must wait until you are in moderate-severe withdrawal before taking suboxone. the buprenorphine in the suboxone has a high affinity to the opiate receptors in your brain. what does that mean? it means that the buprenorphine will kick other opiates off of your opiate receptors (it's a bully LOL) and send you into something called precipitated withdrawals. precipitated withdrawals are no joke; from my understanding it's like being thrown into extremely heavy, cold turkey withdrawal within 30 minutes of taking the buprenorphine.

took suboxone (buprenorphine and naloxone) and wish to take another opiate after taking the suboxone?
okay. you can, generally, do this & have no precipitated withdrawals. problem? as the buprenorphine is hogging up all your opiate receptors, you will most likely feel nothing from any other opiate usage. this is a major reason that people overdose when they're on buprenorphine. they keep taking more & more opiate trying to get high. mostly one will overdose before they ever get that high they're looking for.

tramadol is an opiate, but a very weak one. tramadol is not an opiate, but does affect your brain's opiate receptors. really, i'm not sure which of these statements is true.

personally, i would not take the tramadol while i was on suboxone. it is likely to do nothing.

if you do take tramadol while on suboxone...make sure at least two hours has passed since you took suboxone before taking any tramadol (or any other opiate for that matter.)

supposedly the naloxone in suboxone only becomes active if one uses suboxone in an intravenous (IV) manner. have heard of people iv-ing suboxone with no problems & have heard of people iv-ing suboxone with huge problems.

"Is there any pain meds I can take while on suboxone?" yes, see above for opiate pain relievers. though given your hydromorphone addiction, i would highly discourage any opiate pain relief. other options are OTC (over the counter) including, but not limited to: acetaminophen, naproxen & ibuprofen.

Also, a huge congratulations is in order for deciding to make a change & quit using hydromorphone!

perhaps someone can post an experience report regarding taking tramadol with buprenorphine. also, i'll search around DF to see if this question has already been answered. likely it has; there's so much info on this site it's sic.

These are the only two threads i found that specifically address the question you have posed. please read them & make your own decision as what to do.
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...phine+tramadol
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...phine+tramadol

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good advice and warnings. Helpful links.

Last edited by Frmrjunkie; 12-01-2013 at 00:15. Reason: added links
Old 12-01-2013, 21:47
Titanium Member

41 y/o Female from United States
Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.Frmrjunkie probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 861, Level: 4 Points: 861, Level: 4 Points: 861, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Yes, I know this question was only posed a couple days ago, but was hoping to get an experience report.

Has anyone ever taken tramadol while on buprenorphine? Have read, extensively, on this matter & have yet to come to a viable conclusion.

Thank you! I am rather curious as to exactly how these two drugs would interact.
Old 12-01-2013, 21:48
Silver Member

Female from United States
Katrina1 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 150, Level: 1 Points: 150, Level: 1 Points: 150, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

I get my tramadol after my root canal on Monday. I will let you know how that goes.
Old 15-02-2013, 02:04
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from Uzbekistan
fuzelogic is captain of the psychonauts.fuzelogic is captain of the psychonauts.fuzelogic is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 648, Level: 3 Points: 648, Level: 3 Points: 648, Level: 3
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Check out this thread to read about my friend mickeys experience butrans and tramadol:

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=206424
Old 05-03-2014, 17:51

Male from United Kingdom
Michael905 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

In a parallel universe, a man tried this combination a few times out of curiosity. 2.8mg Buprenorphine + 100 mg Tramadol both an hour before and after at different times. He personally didn't find the effects/experience very appealing. Noticeable effects are stimulation (with agitation), mild euphoria, drowsiness and increase respiratory depression. It seems to potentiated the displeasing effects of the buprenorphine rather than the pleasing effects. The man finds the two Opioids work best medicinally and recreationally separately.

Share this on:

Tags
buprenorphine, suboxone, subutex, tramadol, tramadol combinations, ultram