Register Tags

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 21:05

Male from United States
Pfloydthebarber is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
SANDOZ - no longer in Fentanyl Market? discontinuing to make them

I just got a call from my local neighborhood pharmacist who has been filling my Fentanyl legit script for my 100 mcg Duragesic patch for many years now.

I have used all the manufacturers as he has been able to get all the different ones to sample. This was so I could see what gave the most relief for my chronic lower back and cervical pain.

I have found that the non-gel type worked best and stuck better than the others and Sandoz was the best of those types.

He just called me and said that Sandoz is out of the market and that the patches will no longer be available. they aren't on a back order, they are GONE, no longer being produced as a pain med by them.

Mylan patches are in a back order statues.

He said there are apotex (which I've been reading here pretty much suck big time) and Malinkrodt (sp?) which Haven't checked yet. I dont want reservoir types if possible, as I dont abuse them so that part isn't of interest. I just need the best for pain relief and this news as me concerned.

I wanted to let the forum and other sufferers and all else aware of this info.

any reviews i on ones I mentioned or others are appreciated.

Be well and happy '13'
Old 10-02-2013, 05:17

52 y/o Male from United States
acman3960 is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Re: SANDOZ - no longer in Fentanyl Market? discontinuing to make them

Hi Floyd,
Yeah... I got the same sad call from my pharmacist about the Sandoz patch. I feel the same way you do about the quality of that particular patch as no other generic here in the US even come close in my opinion. I also have been using ONLY them.
Just a bit of information you may or may not know... the Sandoz patch is identical to the actual "brand" Duragesic. They were even manufactured at the same lab in California. Just had a different name stamped on them. So that may help explain why they worked so well.
I really cannot recommend another generic that works as well. I tried the Mylan and swore Iwould never go through that again. Felt lousy the whole month.
The price for the brand is just obcene. $575 for a box of 5! My Blue Cross pays for 40% of the "Brand Duragesic" so I dished out about $500 for 3 boxes of the 100mcg Duragesics. Ididn't know what else to do. Big difference from my usual $15 copay for the Sandoz. I don't know how many more months I can afford to do this though. ?
It's ashame we can't get Canadian meds here because the "Ratiopharm" patch is just as good as the Sandoz in my opinion.
I didn't get any explaination as to why Sandoz stopped making their fentanyl patch but to me it was a terrible move that I know will hurt a lot of people.
Old 27-02-2013, 17:53

39 y/o Female from United States
Safira is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Well that explains it... and sucks big time.. I didnt get a call, just got switched and told they were having a hard time getting them.. just finished calling all the pharmacies around, no one had them, at least now i know why. They were the first ones i tried, tried two more since, and they were the ONLY ones that didnt a) cause a rash, and b) fall off. :igh:: i, like the original poster, have a legit script, for chronic lower back (ruptured L4, L5, S1, 5 other degenerated, and sciatic nerve impingement) pain, fibromyalgia, and M.E. I am not a happy camper here. I doubt my medicaid will pay for duragesic.. wonder why they quit making them, taking too much of the high priced market share? But many peoples insurance will only cover genarics so why go from something to nothing? You know why all the other brands suck? They use half the fentanyl to cut costs, so you do well on day one, then day two and day three there is less and less available along the patch, so less gets into the bloodstream. When you take it off there is still a LOT of fentanyl left in the patch (as evidenced by all the abuse posts) so how can you have gotten the full dose when there is barely enough in there to start with? :ulls hair:: can someone list patches by fentanyl content so we can try to find a good substitute that will actually work the prescribed time? Im on mallinkrodt now and they fall off, and i hurt worse with them than sandoz. Watson gels actually worked better for the pain but caused horrible blisters and wouldnt stay on for crap.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:57

28 y/o Female from United States
BeGone is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

They stopped mAking the Sandoz cause people were overdosing on them. They would cut them into pieces and suck the medication off. If you notice, there is less mg of fentanyl in these other brands.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:03

39 y/o Female from United States
Safira is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

did they stop making duragesic brand too then? They are identical. People (stupid people) overdose on EVERY brand of fentanyl, hopefully the same asinine logic wont be used to discontinue it altogether. People like me count on it for actual pain relief. For the first time in a dozen years i can wake up without screaming when i get up. Not eager for that to stop.
Old 18-03-2013, 21:27

No they did not discontinue brand Duragesic. Waay too profitable for them to stop providing it.
I'm paying $592 a month for three boxes of the 100's which is 40% of the actual cost which is close to $1800.... Ridiculous!! Miss my Sandoz very much where I was getting the exact same thing for a $15 copay.
Old 19-03-2013, 21:11
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

28 y/o Male from United States
SRLMJ23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a doctor AND a pain patient and I registered just because of this post. Sandoz DID NOT stop making Fentanyl Patches. They are on long term back order, however, I just called Sandoz and they are hoping to get their patches back on the market sometime between April and June. Don't believe me? Call 1-800-525-8747, option 1 or 5...5 worked for me better, simply ask the worker on the other end when they would like to get their patches back out and they will 2nd quarter of 2012 (April-June).

So my friends, don't give up! Soon we will have our beloved Sandoz patches back!! As far as the best patch to use until then? Mylan, and Watson are HORRIBLE!! Mallinckrodt AND Teva are the best out right now. They both have pretty much the same amount of total Fentanyl 8.25mg to 8.28mg TOTAL, and they are of the Matrix design like the Sandoz.

Post Quality Evaluations:
very knowledgable info given
Thank you for the useful information, though I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Mallinkrodt. :)
You're a medical student, not a doctor. Please don't overstate your credentials to add credibility to your posts. Let the facts speak for themselves.
Old 23-03-2013, 06:10
Silver Member

Female from United States
Diamond_Gurl1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRLMJ23 View Post
I am a doctor AND a pain patient and I registered just because of this post. Sandoz DID NOT stop making Fentanyl Patches. They are on long term back order, however, I just called Sandoz and they are hoping to get their patches back on the market sometime between April and June. Don't believe me? Call 1-800-525-8747, option 1 or 5...5 worked for me better, simply ask the worker on the other end when they would like to get their patches back out and they will 2nd quarter of 2012 (April-June).

So my friends, don't give up! Soon we will have our beloved Sandoz patches back!! As far as the best patch to use until then? Mylan, and Watson are HORRIBLE!! Mallinckrodt AND Teva are the best out right now. They both have pretty much the same amount of total Fentanyl 8.25mg to 8.28mg TOTAL, and they are of the Matrix design like the Sandoz.
So are the sandoz patches out yet? I'm in major cronic pain, have OA in my neck, knees, wrists. shoulders, spine, ankles, toes and fingers. I also have been labled with Fibro, and my muscles hurt if I do ANYTHING!

Thanks for any info you can provide1
Old 24-03-2013, 01:32

39 y/o Male from United States
MrVicodin2005 should review received reputation comments.
Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1 Points: 1, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

I usually get around 5 100mcg patches a month. For the last few months I've been getting the brand by Malinckrodt, which are so-so with 11.2mg (I think)of Fent. per patch The only time I could ever feel as tho they were doing anything is when I had about half the patch in the cheek/gum position. But, I recently got the brand by Mylan. Even though these patches had a milligram less than the mallies, I instantly liked them better. They are smaller, and imo they deliver the medicine a whole lot quicker than the mallies, which I'd usually have to use a heating pad to get it going. I know this can be dangerous if left on too long, so 5-10 minutes is tops. I've read alot about these patches and it seems to me that different brands work better for certain people. I'm sure that Sandoz patch would be awesome. Does anyone know, have they ever started making them again? Thanks for any input
Old 25-03-2013, 14:04

Mr. Vicodin, like my original post said...They are making them and hope to have them back on market by April-June of 2013.

It's weird you say you like Mylan. I hate hate hate Mylan patches. They hardly work at all for me. They only last 2 days and the 3rd I am in WD's. I get new ones soon and I am going with Watson or Mallinckrodt!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18

That's GREAT news to hear SRLM that the Sandoz are expected back next quarter (April-June). This made my day! It's good to get some factual information. Since you actually called them directly I'm sure they wouldn't be giving you false information. As far as what's working best in the meantime ...it really does depend on the individual and weather the patch is being worn or used buccally. I found the Maillies to be usuless when used with the "checking" method......similarlly with the Watson.
It's April 1st and i will be giving Sandoz a call in the AM to see if there is an update.
Thank you all for your input!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by acman3960 View Post
That's GREAT news to hear SRLM that the Sandoz are expected back next quarter (April-June). This made my day! It's good to get some factual information. Since you actually called them directly I'm sure they wouldn't be giving you false information. As far as what's working best in the meantime ...it really does depend on the individual and weather the patch is being worn or used buccally. I found the Maillies to be usuless when used with the "checking" method......similarlly with the Watson.
It's April 1st and i will be giving Sandoz a call in the AM to see if there is an update.
Thank you all for your input!

acman3960, you are very welcome for the information. I did indeed call them last month, however, so I hope things haven't been back-ordered more !!! I cannot WAIT for the Sandoz to come back. They offered me the best pain relief EVER. I learned a hard lesson about different patches. The Mylan 75mcg/h took forever to kick in, and when they did I was still in pain AND they did not last 3 days at all and every third day I started to go into actual withdrawals which as anyone knows who has been through it is HELL, even if I only had to go through it until midnight that the next patch could be put on.

I have found that Mallinkrodt as far as the Matrix version go are the best out now since Sandoz obviously is not available. I would say second would be Watson but they are the reservoir type patches and I don't like them as much BUT they do hold you and work pretty efficiently.

I pray to God Almighty that Sandoz can get these patches out sooner than later and I am sure there are THOUSANDS of people like you and I that are struggling without are beloved Sandoz. So weird how different brands effect people is such weird ways.

By the way, as I said before…I am a Medical Doctor in my 1st of residency and I use my Fentanyl Patches strictly for Pain Relief not abuse or anything like that. It is those people who abuse them that ruin it for us who truly use the Fentanyl for true pain relief!!! Please people, not only is it dangerous to abuse/overdose on Fentanyl very easily but do not ruin it for us who really need them. I beg you.

Sandoz # To call for information: 1 (800) 525-8747: Listen to the prompts…there is one strictly for Fentanyl Patch questions. Thanks everyone for listening, and thank you all for YOUR feedback!

~SRL M.D.
Old 15-04-2013, 05:39

Called Sandoz on Thursday 4/11 and was told that they should be back in full swing by the end of June.
Although the woman I spoke to did tell me that they still have good supply of the 50mcg patches in stock.
I checked with my local pharmacy and apparently their supplier does not show anything in stock.
In the meantime I will still be dishing out the big bucks for the quality of the "brand" product which works that much better for me. Hope I can still hang in there moneywise until June.
Hopefully this information might have helped out someone.
My best to all!
Old 21-04-2013, 05:23

Male from Germany
wolfgangpuck should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

try the pharmascience or ratio brand istead as an alternative.
Old 29-05-2013, 07:03

Oscar5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

I'm waiting for the call..my pharmacy has ordered them for me but are unsure weather they'll come in I find out tomorrow. I can't wait another second! I have been in so much pain since the new year! I'm considering switching to another drug if these don't come, but I've been on them for over 5 years and they have changed my life. I pray yo god, the universe, my mom up above, that my sandbox come in tomorrow!!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:01

56 y/o Male from United States
stlnoble is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

I switch my patches from 1 thigh to the other so I don't have a problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safira View Post
Well that explains it... and sucks big time.. I didnt get a call, just got switched and told they were having a hard time getting them.. just finished calling all the pharmacies around, no one had them, at least now i know why. They were the first ones i tried, tried two more since, and they were the ONLY ones that didnt a) cause a rash, and b) fall off. :igh:: i, like the original poster, have a legit script, for chronic lower back (ruptured L4, L5, S1, 5 other degenerated, and sciatic nerve impingement) pain, fibromyalgia, and M.E. I am not a happy camper here. I doubt my medicaid will pay for duragesic.. wonder why they quit making them, taking too much of the high priced market share? But many peoples insurance will only cover genarics so why go from something to nothing? You know why all the other brands suck? They use half the fentanyl to cut costs, so you do well on day one, then day two and day three there is less and less available along the patch, so less gets into the bloodstream. When you take it off there is still a LOT of fentanyl left in the patch (as evidenced by all the abuse posts) so how can you have gotten the full dose when there is barely enough in there to start with? :ulls hair:: can someone list patches by fentanyl content so we can try to find a good substitute that will actually work the prescribed time? Im on mallinkrodt now and they fall off, and i hurt worse with them than sandoz. Watson gels actually worked better for the pain but caused horrible blisters and wouldnt stay on for crap.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:05

pixilated1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I am surprised to see all the Sandoz love here (I have never tried them) and I definitely didn't know they were the same as the brand name patches. That can make a great difference in quality, which I learned from Watson generic Hydrocodone, which is exactly the same as brand name Norco. The difference between Watson generic Hydrocodone and, say for instance, Qualitest generic Hydrocodone (currently the cheapest 10/325 on the market) is enormous. I take them for breakthrough pain and the difference is huge... it's the difference between taking a single Watson pill or 1.5-2 Qualitest pills.

Back on the topic of Fentanyl patches... I am prescribed 75mcg patches and am a legit user. I have tried Watson, Mylan, and Mallinkrodt. The Watson patches have the gel reservoir, and they are huge, and they fall off or wrinkle or scrunch up. I find that they distribute Fentanyl a little more evenly over the course of 3 days than the Mylan patches, but I was still generally pretty miserable by the end of the third day. Newly-applied Watson patches take far longer to "kick in" than the other patches I have tried. They also leave an itchy-burny rash on my skin where the patch was. In fact, I just pulled one off after 36 hours because I ran my hand over it and it was wet. As in, gel was leaking out of the top of it. Someway somehow the top of the reservoir came open. What a mess!

After several months of mediocre Watson patches, I moved across town, which meant switching pharmacies. The new pharmacy only carried Mylan patches, and when I put the first one on, I had a Eureka Moment within the first few hours. I could actually feel it working. The Mylan patches are smaller and they stick better and the don't make any noise when they are touched or when I move the body part they're on (whereas the Watson patches made a sound like crumbling wadded-up paper). But as someone else mentioned above, Mylan patches don't work well (if at all) on the third day. Luckily, my doctor sympathized and began prescribing the same dosage to be changed every 48 hours instead of every 72 hours. I was very pleased...

Until the month when my new regular pharmacy ran completely out of patches in my dosage and I had to get them elsewhere. I ended up with Mallinkrodt patches. They were, in a word, awful. I know that different brands of patches affect different people in different ways. The only benefit (for me) that I can say the Mallinkrodt patches had was that they weren't enormous in size. And I guess I can say they didn't give me a rash.They didn't kick in quickly like the Mylan patches, but they didn't have the staying power of the Watson patches either. No matter where I put them on my body, they wouldn't stick. One time a Mallinkrodt patch fell off my arm while I was riding the wheelchair bus. I literally had to wrap the area where the patch was in gauze strips to assure it wouldn't move, and even that had its complications.

Unfortunately I have been stuck with Watson patches for the last 2 months. Ugh. But next month I will be back on Mylan patches... or maybe I will try Sandoz, if they are available then.

From my perspective, if you're looking for an alternative until the Sandoz patches are available again, you should try Mylan, especially if you change them every 48 or 60 hours.

I have never tried nor even heard of Teva patches. Are they worth trying?
Old 25-06-2013, 09:05

I am VERY happy to report that Sandoz Patches are officially BACK IN PHARMACIES!!! I just picked up my two boxes of 75mcg/h and I could not be any happier!!! Finally a patch that:

1. Will 100% take my pain away for the FULL 3 days it is on!!!

2. Sticks the best, in my opinion, though I do use Tegaderm Patches to cover my Fentanyl Patches so it does not really matter how well they stick to me.

3.I went from the Mallinckrodt 75mcg/h which had a total of 8.25mg in each patch, too now Sandoz 75mcg/h patch which has a total of 12.7mg per patch!!!

4. Did I mention 3 days of no pain??? Haha.

Anyway, I live in Syracuse, NY so anyone around my parts they should be around!!!

People should report on this thread Where & When they got theirs so we can figure out if they are fully back on the market or only in some areas?

Anyway, good luck people, hope you can get your Sandoz soon!!!
Old 28-06-2013, 02:47

I'm here in Southern Florida and just got the call yesterday from my pharmacist that the Sandoz patches are back and he has three boxes put aside for me. I will be filling my script on July 3rd. I am so happy about this for all the reasons that were just mentioned. I am actually excited about it. It was a long wait!
Old 01-07-2013, 16:20

I am very glad to hear that you can now get your Sandoz patches and finally be 100% happy. To people like you and I, who use the patches legally and never abuse them this is a big step forward for us having Sandoz back on the market. They simply are the best and that is evident because they 4+ more total MG per patch!!

Being a doctor I honestly do not understand myself how companies that we had to deal with before Sandoz came back on the market can legally sell those patches. I mean how can you have a 4+ MG difference from the Mallinckrodt (which were second best too Sandoz as it goes total MG's per patch!) I believe Mylan patches only have like 6.25 total MG's per patch, I mean there you are talking a 6+ mg difference but yet in the same 75mcg strength. Makes no sense to me honestly.

I am also happy to hear that you are in Florida and getting them which to me indicates that the patches are probably now out in just about every state and supplies should be fine. I dread the day that I call up my pharmacist and he says no more stock of Sandoz right now so you will have to go with your second best (Mallinckrodt or Watson) and by the way the Mallinckrodt are Matrix based like the Sandoz whereas the Watsons are Reservoir based. I never cared for the reservoir based ones but Watson's do work exceptionally well if you were "In a pickle" sort of speak and needed a second best, I just prefer the Mallinckrodt's!

Anyway, please people...report on your status of patches. If you are getting Sandoz please share what state and area you are in so we can start figuring out where these patches are, and to the bigger point helping fellow members out.

Thank you guys & gals!!

~SRL
Old 01-07-2013, 17:13

So happy to report the same thing!!! I feel like myself again. It's crazy how awful I felt for 6 months! I pray they never go away again!!!!
Old 05-07-2013, 16:16

29 y/o Female from United States
KayleeC is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I just got my script refilled for my fentanyl 75 mcg patches and I got the Sandoz brand! I am very pleased. The Sandoz just work better for me with my severe low back pain. I have been getting the Mallinckrodt or Watson brands for the last several months and they're okay but not great. With other brands I start getting that creepy-crawly feeling about 10 hours before it's due to be changed. Also, I really don't like the gel filled patches. It feels like I'm wearing cellophane on my skin. I hope my pharmacy continues to keep them stocked and I hope the rest of you can finally get them too!
Old 01-08-2013, 16:13

54 y/o Male from United States
joeyboone is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

I just had my monthly presciption filled of 15ea of 75mcg fentanyl patches, but my pharmacy said that the Sandoz brand are still on back order. I live in north Louisiana & have called many different pharmacies in my area & all of them said Sandozbrand are still unavailable. Any ideas on why this is so? I've tried Watson & Mallinkrodt brands, and guys, these just don't help me hardly at all! Both brands I've mentioned help for about 32 hours r so, & then BANG, with the Watson brand I'm hurting intensely by this time, & with the Mallinkrodt brand I find myself in the deep dark area called full blown withdrawals. Help!!!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 23:44

I had to go without for 6 months and now they are back but nobody can say why. I did however get a new pharmacist who knew of a supplier and was able to get them for me. I called the chain of stores that he works for and told them he was really great at his job. I don't know if its as simple as having a pharmacist who's good at his job, but it seems like that to me! He totally saved my life...I was miserable for 6 months! I live near pittsburgh and nobody could get them for me from December to June. I called around as well. Then this new guy showed up and poof they were back...maybe he just has good timing. I am the same as you and only the Sandoz work for me. This guy said everyone who wears them is really loyal to the particular brand that work best for them. But he also seemed to understand that I really needed them. All I can say is make sure you have a good pharmacist and keep trying...they are out there, so good luck ! I know exactly how you feel!
Old 06-08-2013, 13:11

54 y/o Male from United States
joeyboone is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

I'll have to do that Oscar. The Watson brand patches r the most popular around here it seems, but they just do half as good of a job as the Sandoz patches do. I tried Mallinkrodt & they worked really well, but within 24 to 30 hours BAM, not only did they stop working, I started feeling withdrawals BIG TIME! I have spinal stenosis, & have had 5 previous surgeries done on my neck & back, & even tho I have Medicare (thru disability), it doesn't cover near all of the cost, & I simply can't afford to have anything more done any time soon. The Mallinkrodt patches were over twice as expensive as the Watson brand, but @ least with the Watson's I don't have to worry about withdrawals, even tho they don't even come close to killing the pain. Even tho the Sandoz were also more expensive than the Watson's, I could put one on & would b relatively pain free for the full 48 hours until I could change patches again. I guess all I can do is just keep hoping that my pharmacy can get the Sandoz for me again. They used to get them with no problem, but about a year ago all of a sudden they told me that they were unavailable & were on long term back order. Anyway, maybe next month when I get my next rx, they will have them for me. Have a great day & maybe mine will get better soon!

Share this on:

Tags
duragesic, fentanyl, sandoz