Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 29-12-2012, 18:23

27 y/o Female from United States
dropanchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Is Klonopin Really That Bad?

I've been taking Klonopin on doctor's orders since 2005. I'm up to 4mg a day now. I've NEVER gotten the SLIGHTEST high from them, which is a good thing since I have an addictive personality and am addicted to oxys. My question is, is Klonopin really such a dangerous drug when taken as prescribed? I've heard people and therapists tell me it's an awful drug and I really should consider getting off it. For one thing, it helps my anxiety and I see no reason to put myself through finding another kind to help. And second, the withdrawal is absolute, pure 100% nasty ass threshold-of-hell awful, even tapering.

What's so bad about it if I'm not addicted to the stuff? Opinions?
Old 29-12-2012, 18:48
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
Twan is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 147, Level: 1 Points: 147, Level: 1 Points: 147, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%
Re: Is Klonopin Really That Bad?

i'm guessing they say its bad because of the inevitable withdrawals
Old 29-12-2012, 19:20
Titanium Member

54 y/o Female from United States
ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.
Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3

my rat took klonopin daily (1/2 to 1 mg) for years and years. eventually she tapered off and now only takes it when needed.

if one wants to stop using a prolonged taper is advised. my rat didn't have any trouble tapering off klonopin.

she has found that even though she was prescribed this drug for like 20 years in the past that now her doctor no longer wishes her to take it.

where she lives this is because there has been a huge upsurge in young people using klonopin or xanax recreationally as well as a lot of ODs from it.

it has gotten to the point where there has been a lot of bad press about it and the clinics here are really trying to suppress the giving out of this drug to keep it off the streets (this is what i was told).

however she still knows a lot of people that are prescribed this drug and who have no problems with their doctors trying to take them off so she suspects that it may be the nature of the clinics that she goes to which are low cost clinics. sigh
Old 29-12-2012, 19:36
Mercury Member

Male from Czech Republic
Jakub needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

YES it is..............yes it is nasty as fuck.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Useless one-liner; please elaborate
Old 30-12-2012, 03:48
Titanium Member

42 y/o Male from Australia
out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.
Points: 2,306, Level: 7 Points: 2,306, Level: 7 Points: 2,306, Level: 7
Activity: 4.1% Activity: 4.1% Activity: 4.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchor View Post
And second, the withdrawal is absolute, pure 100% nasty ass threshold-of-hell awful, even tapering.

In my opinion, if you know that tapering or withdrawing is pure hell and you know that you are physically and psychologically dependent on it then doesn't that answer your own question to a certain extent? The very reason that benzodiazepines are under so much scrutiny is that they are super addictive and extremely hard to withdraw from after long term use as you have discovered. So actually you are addicted, especially if you feel defensive about the idea of stopping.
On the other hand you are using them as prescribed under medical supervision so when or if the time comes for you to withdraw then you will hopefully have support.
I had similar thoughts when I was taking various benzos as prescribed under supervision from my psychiatrist. I actually spoke to the pharmacist about it and the pharmacist said 'well if your life is better with the drugs and you are taking as prescribed then there isn't anything wrong with it'. In the end I did stop taking benzos but if they are taken as prescribed and you are aware of the difficulties and dangers of withdrawal, then they can be very helpful and there is a place for these drugs for the right situation.
Therefore no klonopin taken as prescribed under supervision is not "bad". But you have to be careful and remember that you will most likely need to withdraw some day because doctors change, rules change, your medical condition might change....
Just stay in control and be as open as possible about how you feel the with medical professionals who are helping you.
Old 30-12-2012, 16:37
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from United States
Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 429, Level: 3 Points: 429, Level: 3 Points: 429, Level: 3
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropanchor View Post
Well, I hate to say it, but you ARE addicted to "the stuff". In the sense that your body is physically addicted to it. If you would stop using it cold turkey (please do not do this) you will suffer severe withdrawls that could include anxiety, insomnia, a host of other physical symptoms that could include seizures and even death.

On the other hand, you have been taking it a long time and it sounds like you are not having major issues, which is good. It would be good for you to do some reading and educate yourself on the issues regarding long-term benzo use. Just type in "long-term use of benzos" in a search engine, or look up the wikipedia article. Ultimately, it is your decision whether to keep on using klonopin or to get off of it. My hound used klonopin for 3 years, sometimes off and on, and now is finally clean of it for an extended period of time. He feels much, much better overall now that he has been clean of klonopin for a long time. My hound feels that benzos such as klonopin do have value, especially for treating acute conditions in the short term. However, he feels that they should not be used for long periods of time.

Just because it is prescribed by your doctor, does not mean that there are no side effects or risks. People often put WAY too much faith in doctors, believing that they are God-like in their knowledge. I work in the medical field, and let me tell you, there are good doctors, bad doctors and great doctors. The percentage of good doctors is fairly small, and the percentage of great doctors is tiny. Even good doctors are often misinformed about benzos, and continue to prescribe them over long periods of time even though the consensus now is that they should normally be used only over the short-term (usually 4 weeks or less).

If you decide to get off klonopin, make sure you do your own research and then if possible, work with a doctor that specializes in benzo withdrawl. Good luck!
Old 31-12-2012, 03:04

20 y/o Male from United States
gamedeaths409 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
I think the biggest issue is of course tapering. And recreational abuse. When you have people buying lots and lots of these meds without an actual prescription, you are fucked quitting cold turkey. They are the worst withdrawals. I have experienced withdrawals before for an entire week. I was irritable, exhausted, and suicidal. Fortunately I saved 3 klonopin to help me. This was back when I'd pop 3mg TOPS as recreational. I don't get the high anymore. If you take klonopin AS PRESCRIBED, you will be fine. I take it normally now and get no euphoria but it has helped my stress significantly. So,

til;dr klonopin is a great medicine as long as it is not abused recreationally

Share this on:

Tags
klonopin