Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Amphetamine
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Amphetamine Amphetamine AKA speed

Old 09-12-2012, 19:24
Silver Member

46 y/o Female from United States
LaFolle is captain of the psychonauts.LaFolle is captain of the psychonauts.LaFolle is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 343, Level: 2 Points: 343, Level: 2 Points: 343, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
How do different forms of speed show up on drug tests; Meth vs. ADHD meds.

Hi All,

A question of chemestry and drug tests....

How do different forms of amphetamine show up on drug tests? I think that Meth shows up as seperate from other amphetamines, and I am wondering how prescription drugs such as Adderall, Vyvanse, Ritalin, etc. report....as amphetamines or perhaps not at all???? (Vyvanse). Any factual information is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-12-2012, 00:20
Silver Member

Male from United States
tulanthor is a decent psychonaut.tulanthor is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 264, Level: 2 Points: 264, Level: 2 Points: 264, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Re: How do different forms of speed show up on drug tests; Meth vs. ADHD meds.

Adderall and Vyvanse will show up as amphetamines on a drug test. Ritalin will not (as far as I know). The basic "pee in a cup" instant tests cannot distinguish between different types of amphetamines and may even give false positives/negatives depending on other components in your urine. However, if you're being drug tested by a clinic (and not, say, your parents), they will send a second sample (not the one adultured by the testing kit) of your urine to a lab to be tested using gas chromatography and mass spectrometry (GC-MS). This test can (and will) distinguish between Adderall, Vyvanse, and methamphetmine. Depending on how much the testing agency wants to pay (typically as little as possible), GC-MS is precise enough to identify relative concentrations of anything in the sample, so distinguishing between street d-amph and pharmaceutical d-amph is entirely possible.

If you are prescribed Vyvanse, but test positive for Adderall (or meth), it will be considered a failure of the test.
Old 11-12-2012, 00:45
Mercury Member

25 y/o Male from United States
pcp saved my life needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

amphetamine will show up as amphetamines but not methamphetamine. Methamphetamine will cause a positive test result for methamphetamine and amphetamines, since the metabolite of methamphetamine is amphetamine.
Old 24-03-2013, 03:51
Silver Member

26 y/o Female from United States
SemiCharmedLife is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Vyvanse doesn't show up as amphetamines. Discovered this last week.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please elaborate more on what you mean by that. If this was you being tested, it's important to know what kind of test it was, and there's always the chance of getting a false negative. Trusting that info might then prove dangerous for many people.
Vyvanse IS amphetanine and will show up on a test, one false negative does ont change chemistry. This is dangerous advice with no explination. Useless one liner.
Old 24-03-2013, 04:29
Silver Member

Male from United States

Vyvanse has shown up as amphetamines on every UA I've taken for the last 9 months. Although, amphetamine metabolites are cleared from your body fairly quickly, so vyvanse might only show up for a day or two.
Old 25-03-2013, 21:50
Titanium Member

Male from United States
DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.
Points: 1,254, Level: 5 Points: 1,254, Level: 5 Points: 1,254, Level: 5
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiCharmedLife View Post
Vyvanse doesn't show up as amphetamines. Discovered this last week.
This can't be true, Vyvanse gets processed into dextroamphetamine via liver/gastrointestinal action after it is ingested. Care to elaborate? Was this one of those unreliable home drug tests or a professional test?

Or perhaps you were snorting it or injecting it? In which case the enzymes needed to convert it to amphetamine would not be used, hence the "less abuse" potential of Vyvanse.

-----------

OP, they both come out differently in urine. Further, they can use certain techniques that can determine if the drug came from a prescription drug or a street drug. D-Methamphetamine shows up in urine, using dextroamphetamine will not show methamphetamine in the urine instead it shows up partially unchanged in urine as well as other metabolites like benzoic acid.

Quote:
Methamphetamine comes out in urine as d-Methamphetamine, it is the "calibrator" of methamphetamine use.
-http://www.homehealthtesting.com/meth-test-methamphetamines-drug-test-way-urine-test-p-74.html

Quote:
The screening immunoassay uses a cutoff of 1000 ng/ml. The cutoff for GC/MS is 500 ng/ml for both metabolites - amphetamine and methamphetamine. Amphetamine has a 7-32 hour half life, depending on the urinary pH. The assay is capable of detecting the use of methamphetamine or amphetamine for 24-48 hours post dose or as long as 72 hours depending on factors such as amount used, fluid intake, excretion, and urinary pH.
- http://www.healthy.net/scr/Article.aspx?Id=2503

Quote:
It is excreted by the kidneys, with the rate of excretion into the urine heavily influenced by urinary pH. Between 30-54% of an oral dose is excreted in urine as unchanged methamphetamine and 10-23% as unchanged amphetamine. Following an intravenous dose, 45% is excreted as unchanged parent drug and 7% amphetamine.[62] The half-life of methamphetamine is variable with a mean value of between 9 and 12 hours.

Positive results generally indicate use within 1-4 days but could be up to a week following heavy chronic use. Rate of excretion into the urine is heavily influenced by urinary pH. Between 30-54% of an oral dose is excreted in urine as unchanged methamphetamine and 10-23% as unchanged amphetamine. Following an intravenous dose, 45% is excreted as unchanged parent drug and 7% amphetamine.
- http://www.nhtsa.gov/People/injury/r...phetamine.html

Quote:
Chiral techniques may be employed to help distinguish the source of the drug, whether obtained legally (via prescription) or illicitly, or possibly as a result of formation from a prodrug such as famprofazone or selegiline. Chiral separation is needed to assess the possible contribution of l-methamphetamine (Vicks Inhaler) toward a positive test result.
- de la Torre R, Farré M, Navarro M, Pacifici R, Zuccaro P, Pichini S. Clinical pharmacokinetics of amphetamine and related substances: monitoring in conventional and non-conventional matrices. Clin. Pharmacokinet. 43: 157-185, 2004.

Last edited by DiabolicScheme; 25-03-2013 at 21:51. Reason: Improved layout
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13

Female from United States
peony is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Does anyone know if it possible to pass a urine screen for one dose of Ritalin 30 hours after dose? Not a chronic user.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:33
Silver Member

26 y/o Female from United States
SemiCharmedLife is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabolicScheme View Post
This can't be true, Vyvanse gets processed into dextroamphetamine via liver/gastrointestinal action after it is ingested. Care to elaborate? Was this one of those unreliable home drug tests or a professional test?

Or perhaps you were snorting it or injecting it? In which case the enzymes needed to convert it to amphetamine would not be used, hence the "less abuse" potential of Vyvanse.
No, I wasn't injecting or snorting it...I don't abuse it. Although I don't take it regularly either when I'm doing crystal. Since I don't take it regularly that is probably why the test came out the way it did.
Old 19-05-2013, 19:43

39 y/o Male from United States
rftn10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Does anyone know for sure if ritalin does not show positive for a urine test? Has anyone taken a urine test and it didn't show a positive ? I am routinely and randomly drug tested for illicit drugs , I don want to get a positive drug test because I am taking ritalin prescribed.
Old 19-05-2013, 19:57
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from USA - Colorado
Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.
Points: 3,349, Level: 8 Points: 3,349, Level: 8 Points: 3,349, Level: 8
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rftn10 View Post
Does anyone know for sure if ritalin does not show positive for a urine test? Has anyone taken a urine test and it didn't show a positive ? I am routinely and randomly drug tested for illicit drugs , I don want to get a positive drug test because I am taking ritalin prescribed.
If its prescribed then why dont you want to test positive for it??
Old 19-05-2013, 20:27
Silver Member

Male from South Africa
Akanaro must live here.Akanaro must live here.Akanaro must live here.Akanaro must live here.Akanaro must live here.Akanaro must live here.Akanaro must live here.
Points: 920, Level: 4 Points: 920, Level: 4 Points: 920, Level: 4
Activity: 41.6% Activity: 41.6% Activity: 41.6%

How a substance shows up in a drug test or how long it can be detected is only a small part of the whole. Of greater concern is the plasma concentration of the drug, combined with the absorption and decay curves thereof, which is used to differentiate between legitimate use and illegitimate abuse of a drug.

To expand on that, it's not the presence of amphetamines in a drug test alone that indicates addiction or abuse but rather the amounts of amphetamine in various concentrations in your plasma (blood), how fast those concentrations were achieved (indicating ROA) as well as the frequency, estimated timespan and estimated last administration. All of these factors can be revealed by evaluating absorption and decay curves as measured by comparing various concentrations of a substance in your plasma and comparing it to the absorption rate, bioavailability and half-life of the substance. Data that is already known for prescription drugs and most popular illegal substances out there.

Or to state it as plain as possible, they can see from test results whether you swallowed, smoked, snorted or injected a drug, how much of the drug you have used thus, how often you used it and the last time you used it, more or less.

Which means if you have a prescription for Adderall or Ritalin from your psychiatrist for ADHD or ADD, you would have nothing to worry about provided you were using your medication as prescribed. The test results will verify legitimate medical use. However, if you have a prescription for such medication but you're snorting crushed pills, taking larger doses than prescribed or taking doses more frequently than prescribed, to name a few examples, then such abuse will be easily revealed in your test results. You would probably have a hard time explaining such behaviour.

Not having a legal prescription for Adderall or Ritalin would obviously raise alarm bells just by being present, regardless of quantity or any other considerations. The same would go for any illegal substances such as methamphetamine because the use of such is prohibited, no matter how 'therapeutic'. The detection times of such substances varies depending on the person and the substance involved. For example methamphetamine can be detected as long as a week after the fact, in some frequent users who use higher than normal doses on average.

There is more detailed information about the most common substances regarding detection times and the subject of plasma concentration in this PDF document courtesy of labmed.yale.edu.

Last edited by Akanaro; 20-05-2013 at 01:14. Reason: Changed format to be more readable and precise.
Old 19-05-2013, 21:22
Titanium Member

59 y/o Female from USA - California
longwalk is on the way uplongwalk is on the way uplongwalk is on the way up
Points: 358, Level: 3 Points: 358, Level: 3 Points: 358, Level: 3
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rftn10 View Post
If you are taking Ritalin as a prescribed medication, just make certain you have the prescription with you, and it should not be a problem. I once failed a drug test for a job I was applying for, because I forgot about cough medicine I had taken almost a week earlier, with codeine. Bottom line, I got the job after producing the prescription, even though it was my son's prescription, and not my own! This was careless on my part, and definitely not recommended (ADHD brain does it again!) But it is a case in point that they are looking for abuse, not proper prescription usage.
Old 24-05-2013, 15:07

Because I work in law enforcement and I don't trust my job to tell them.

rftn10 added 2 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Because I work in law enforcement and I don't trust my job.

rftn10 added 1 Minutes and 12 Seconds later...

Because my employer may not be so forgiving.

Last edited by rftn10; 24-05-2013 at 15:07. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 24-05-2013, 15:31
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,275, Level: 20 Points: 19,275, Level: 20 Points: 19,275, Level: 20
Activity: 59.5% Activity: 59.5% Activity: 59.5%

rftn10: If you are legally prescribed a drug, an employer can't fire you for it, in the US that would be case for discrimination. Talk to your doctor and be honest with your employer, otherwise you're setting yourself up for a mess.
Old 26-06-2013, 00:35

i would be prescribed Ritalin but i do not trust my job. i have been working in the law enforcement field for over 10 years now. my position would be seen as a liability because of ignorance of what ADD is. i am a good officer , positive with the community and my superiors would just think i am not capable of doing the job even though i been diagnosed in my 3rd yr as a law enforcement officer. i currently take strattera but it works mild at best, and i tried Ritalin once and it worked instantly and i felt rejuvenated. i don't want to lose my job, so i opt to stay the way i am. i do take some vitamins like omega 3 which helps with brain fog, but for the life of me i cannot pass a test and get promoted. , i study for months and months yet i fail every promotional test , it seems like i never studied at all. my only issue with ADD is schooling. my job routinely drug tests me with a hair follicle test, however they claim they only test for illegal drugs and controlled substances. any advice?

will Ritalin show up as an illegal drug? i am not looking to get canned for taking something legal.
Old 26-06-2013, 14:35

Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute

You have been in law enforcement for ten years and need to ask if Ritalin is a controlled substance? In the US? Yes, it is a Scheduled II controlled substance. It is illegal to take with out a prescription.
Old 26-06-2013, 23:55

i know Ritalin is a controlled substance, i stated my job tests for ILLEGAL drugs and controlled substances not the legal ones. what i meant to say is can ritalin on a hair or urine test show up as an amphetamine?

can i risk not telling them and be secured. its unfortunate you have to be afraid of legal prescriptions
Old 27-06-2013, 00:07

what drug tests are being administered? You know, never mind, google the name of the drug test and read what comes up. You're looking for methyphenidate. Ritalin is more likely to show up as cocaine then amphetamine.

there's no illegal controlled substances... they are controlled because they are legal.
Old 27-06-2013, 01:02
Titanium Member

24 y/o Male from United States
baselined really adds to the discussion.baselined really adds to the discussion.baselined really adds to the discussion.baselined really adds to the discussion.baselined really adds to the discussion.baselined really adds to the discussion.
Points: 855, Level: 4 Points: 855, Level: 4 Points: 855, Level: 4
Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9%

@rftn10

If they are testing for "illegal drugs and controlled substances" then I think yes, they will be testing for ritalin. It is still a controlled substance and is a schedule two drug. I believe that the illegal drugs they are testing for would be exclusive to schedule one drugs (marijuana, lsd, ghb, etc). Being a controlled substance means exactly what the word suggest is means. It is a substance, that is "controlled". This should include otherwise illegal drugs unless the user can provide evidence of a legal prescription. Thus ritalin, adderall, vicodin, codeine, et al are all ILLEGAL unless you have a script.

Why don't you just tell them that you take it?

Who cares if they don't trust you, let them fire you for it. A good, hell any lawyer, would be able to show that you have been doing this job without issue for over 10 years, and been taking the ritalin for roughly the same amount of time. Proving that it doesn't affect your ability to adequately perform your job. I mean, that's why these things are prescribed, to allow people with normal disorders to pursue normal life's and careers. And if they fire you for it, then you could sue, big time!

I imagine there has got to be other officers in your workplace that take ritalin or adderall, who have ADD/ADHD. Or even more likely, employee's who are on anti-depressants. The same fallacious argument can be made that depression negatively affects how they perform their jobs (although this is different because I doubt they test for these), but still the argument is the same.

Ritalin is a common medication in the U.S., chances are someone else is taking it too. Even if not, I doubt anyone is really going to know what it is or what it's for when you show them a bottle that reads "methylphenidate". The only person that is going to know what that is would be the lab technician who is administering the test. And they could give a shit whether you are on it or not. They just need to know so that they don't write it up as a failed drug analysis.

You really have nothing to lose by telling them. You don't even have to say what its for. Just be like "hey I'm not sure if this medication I am taking will affect the drug test, so here it is." and that's that.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Excellent post, and true that medications are prescribed to help people function
Old 27-06-2013, 01:15
Silver Member

Male from United States

GC-MS (gas chromatography - mass spectrometry) tests will be able to identify methylphenidate (and it's metabolites). It won't show up at amphetamines, it will show up as methylphenidate. Typically GC-MS isn't the first test run, but if you get a false positive they will use GC-MS to verify or nullify the initial positive results (and you will eventually have a false positive). At this point you risk them identifying methylphenidate. Since they won't be looking for methylphenidate specifically, they might not discover it, but the test is fully capable of identifying methylphenidate.

Testers can identify Tylenol (acetaminophen) in cases where an overdose is suspected to be a cause of death. Legal or illegal, GC-MS is used to identify almost anything under the sun. If they're looking for it, they will find it.
Old 30-06-2013, 02:40
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Germany
spemat should review received reputation comments.
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

It depends on the drug screen and the dose. My doctor does an amphetamine panel because some tests measure doses that would be higher dosewise and they may not show up. She gave me one to see if I took my Dexedrine as prescribed and it came back as negative and I take 60-80 mg a day but sent me for an amphetamine panel, bloodwork and it came up and showed the drug and blood level.

I also take PRN periods of Klonopin for up to 6 weeks to tame mania and the dose is 2 mg and will not show up on a UA either but will in blood work.
Old 30-06-2013, 03:27

Male from United States
IndieVisible needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

depends on the quality of test, for most piss test even Bupropion shows up as amphetamine
Old 30-06-2013, 04:24
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieVisible View Post
depends on the quality of test, for most piss test even Bupropion shows up as amphetamine
That's when they pull out the GC-MS test which can distinguish between the two. I had a false positive for amphetamine one time before my first time even taking them.
Old 29-07-2013, 21:04

Male from United Kingdom
benzodiazeparty is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know what test was used but when tested with a private GP, in a urine sample, cannabis was present and a methamphetamine presence was described as only 'amphetamine.' Anabolic steroids were not discovered and neither were benzodiazepines.

This could be due to methamphetamine not being a standard drug to test for.
Old 28-09-2013, 07:10

I recently called a FDA approved lab that conducts hair follicle tests for several big named corporations, I received a email response. The question was would Ritalin /concerta show up on a hair follicle test: the response was no, they do not test for ritalin at all and it will not test positive or even a false positive in a hair follicle test. They further state anti depressants are also not tested for and would never show up either. There are a lot of myths out there, too many people posting wrong information causing false beliefs.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, drug test, methamphetamine, ritalin, vyvanse