Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 09-12-2012, 00:56

Male from United States
kidofthekids is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
How long does a 10mg dose of valium last?

I have been prescribed 1mg xanax 4x daily and 1mg of klonopin 4x daily for about 6 years now. I have never taken 8mg of benz in a day, not because I can't handle it but because I don't need that much to control my anxiety. I typically take .5 of klonopin 3x a day and if I have any panic attacks i will take 1-2mg of xanax.
I can't really find an answer on google about how long a dose of valium will last. I find when someone asks how long one of these meds typically last they get a 50/50 split of people lecturing them on the dangers of benzos and people quoting the half life of the meds they found on wikipedia.
In my experience the xanax(1mg) lasts for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours and the klonopin at a 1mg dose will last for about 6 hours. I have never taken valium and was interested in switching from klonopin because I read it was less sedating and easier on the withdrawal symptoms when you want to quit. How long does a 10mg or 20mg dose last for as compared to the other two i mentioned? I'm interested in the anti-anxiety and anti panic effects. thanks
Old 09-12-2012, 02:30
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from United States
Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 429, Level: 3 Points: 429, Level: 3 Points: 429, Level: 3
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%
Re: How long does a 10mg dose of valium last?

Some docs say that you can dose valium only once per day and still maintain a level blood concentration. Others say 2 times per day. Valium does last a long time in the body, but it can be quite variable dependent on the individual. It sounds like the effects of benzos don't last too long for you - the effects of klonopin can usually be felt longer than 6 hours (more like 10 - 14) according to my old smellhound Geech. So it does vary person to person. Make sure you know your equivalents -

10mg Valium = 0.5 mg of Klonopin or Xanax
20mg Valium = 1.0 mg of Klonopin or Xanax

Geech says that if you dose Valium 2 times per day (12 hours apart) you certainly will maintain a level concentration in your blood.
Old 18-12-2012, 06:26

20 y/o Male from United States
thatsmyspill is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Valium is a much longer acting drug than either of your current scripts..

My psychiatrist says that it will be in the body for between 2-3 days depending on individuals' metabolism speed...that being said, some people take 2mg diazepam every other day (on top of extended release alprazolam) and notice a significant difference as time passes. For the sake of clarity, I'll divide the experiences into the first 24 hrs after taking and the second 24 hrs (hours 25-48).

First 24 hrs:
Onset is listed at somewhere around 1.5 hrs, but is subtle to the point of being unnoticeable (this could be related to 2mg dose, the lowest possible). As you likely experienced with your benzos, when you first get the script it can cause drowsiness as your body adjusts over the next few days or weeks. It is possible to sleep nearly as much as you want to in the first 24 hours, more so than with xanax or klonopin due to the long half life of diazepam, but this effect will fade the longer you stay on the script. Sometimes it can feel like you are in a dream, or at least as though there is a disconnect between what your eyes are seeing and your actual presence in that place--like you never really woke up that morning. This effect usually only lasts a few moments, and is not scary/distracting/dangerous. As for dealing with anxiety, diazepam is great as a base for preventing anxiety attacks. If you feel one coming, then a xanax or k-pin can be taken as needed, though usually in the first 24 hrs anxiety is seriously lowered.

Second 24 hours (25-48):
Here the effects are much less noticeable due to metabolism of the diazepam over time. Anxiety is still lowered, but not nearly as much as the previous day. To use an example of social anxiety, talking to people may be slightly easier but will still cause shaking and nervousness in individuals suffering from anything above the mildest of anxiety. No aforementioned "dreaminess" or excessive sleeping occurs here.

To give you a good idea of what to expect from diazepam, it will likely not totally prevent panic or anxiety attacks but in many cases is an excellent preventative of the thought patterns that can lead to such episodes. Due to the amount of time that you say you've been scripted for benzos, I assume you have at least moderate but likely severe anxiety/panic episodes. Considering this, I would advise you to mention to your doc a trial of diazepam. He likely won't start you off at 10 mg, maybe more like 5 (pretty sure they make that, if not I know there's something between 2mg and 10mg). I'd say its a great base to help curb the anxiety before it starts, as many times taking xanax/k-pin multiple times a day will cause the individual to go through several stages of anxiety/relief throughout the day--a very exhausting process. This being the case, if I were you i'd vouch for a daily dose of diazepam along with your usual scripts. If it works well for you, then it's possible you could get down to only one of your current benzos on an "as-needed" basis.

Hope this helps. Anxiety can be life-ruining and crippling, so if what you're scripted now isn't working, or even if you just think something else might be better, then the reward can definitely be worth trying for. Good luck!
Old 18-12-2012, 09:06
Silver Member

Male from Earth
reef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way up
Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Merle View Post
Some docs say that you can dose valium only once per day and still maintain a level blood concentration. Others say 2 times per day. Valium does last a long time in the body, but it can be quite variable dependent on the individual. It sounds like the effects of benzos don't last too long for you - the effects of klonopin can usually be felt longer than 6 hours (more like 10 - 14) according to my old smellhound Geech. So it does vary person to person. Make sure you know your equivalents -

10mg Valium = 0.5 mg of Klonopin or Xanax
20mg Valium = 1.0 mg of Klonopin or Xanax

Geech says that if you dose Valium 2 times per day (12 hours apart) you certainly will maintain a level concentration in your blood.
Clonazepam feels more like 5 hours for me.

By the way, those ratios are confusion, you see 10:1 in some websites and 20:1 in others, I haven't actually tested this but I suggest anybody to test first before going the whole 20mg, it may be more than what's expected.
Old 21-12-2012, 01:35
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from United States
Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.Cousin Merle probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 429, Level: 3 Points: 429, Level: 3 Points: 429, Level: 3
Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1% Activity: 7.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef88 View Post
Clonazepam feels more like 5 hours for me.

By the way, those ratios are confusion, you see 10:1 in some websites and 20:1 in others, I haven't actually tested this but I suggest anybody to test first before going the whole 20mg, it may be more than what's expected.
What each individual feels is very subjective. Some people don't "feel" anything from benzos unless they take very high doses - that doesn't mean that the drug is not having an effect on them - they just aren't aware of it.

Clonazepam is listed different places as having a half-life of 18 - 30 hours or 18 - 50 hours. Most of the dosing schedules I've seen call for taking it 2 times a day about 12 hours apart. I have seen some dosing schedules that call for it 3 times a day - 6 hours apart.
Old 15-01-2013, 03:31
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from Netherlands
Psychonauticunt is a decent psychonaut.Psychonauticunt is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1 Points: 96, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

For me, about 5-7 hours, after which I feel mild residual effects (slight anxiolysis, any alcohol drunk is amplified 150%, no withdrawals) for the next day. Its chief clinically relevant action is quite short.
Old 15-01-2013, 03:53
Silver Member

Female from United States
hautsi is learning how to become a psychonaut.

I have been taking Valium for a few years now & in MY experience it lasts 6 hours. I was prescribed 5mg at first & now I am taking 10mg.

Regarding your decision on whether to switch from Klonopin to Valium- I have been on both & I like Valium much better because, for me, Klonopin will give me a "hungover" drowsy effect the next day whereas Valium does not. Keep in mind, however, that every drug affects everyone differently.

Share this on:

Tags
benzodiazapines, valium