Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis > Hashish & BHO
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Hashish & BHO Hashish, soap bar, resin, ice-o-lator, hash oil, bho, butane honey oil, butane hashish oil

Old 03-12-2012, 19:01
Silver Member

22 y/o Male from United States
lfrider92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 97, Level: 1 Points: 97, Level: 1 Points: 97, Level: 1
Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5%
Making wax out of Butane. Help with yield?

I have been making wax with butane and trim for quite some time now, my pipe for making wax holds about 2 ounces of trim (i get pounds and pounds for free from a friend.)

my wax always comes out VERY high quality. worthy of san francisco clubs. but my yield is always VERY low, and i dont understand why.

per 2 ounces i run around 4 cans of the 5X refined butane. i ran around 7-8 ounces of trim this weekend and a full case of butane (12 cans) and got a lousy 2 grams of wax by the time i finished!

everytime ive ever made it i always get a low yield even though my trim is very good and has a LOT of bud in it. normally around a 1/4 ounce for half a pound of trim. but this time it was only 2 grams, so i wanted to come here and try to get some help.

ive seen people getting around an ouce for a pound, sometimes even more, and i cant get anything near that!

can anyone give me some pointers on how to get more yield? im tired of wasting money on butane and just wasting my trim

my trim after i run the butane always still has crystals and white hairs, does that mean im not running enough butane through it? how many cans should i run per 2 ounces? how many should be ran total per pound?

with the left over trim after i make wax, i always throw them in my bubble bags and make some cold water hash with it just so it doesnt go to complete waste, but its wax im after!

thanks for any and all help, im willing to try almost anything.

also, my wax always comes out kind of sticky, more like oil consistancy instead of wax. to make this post short, whats the easiest way to get a large yield, and have it more waxy rather then sticky, its very hard to work with when finished when its this sticky.
Old 03-12-2012, 19:30
Palladium Member

Male from Earth
Ghetto_Chem must mainline MedlineGhetto_Chem must mainline MedlineGhetto_Chem must mainline MedlineGhetto_Chem must mainline MedlineGhetto_Chem must mainline MedlineGhetto_Chem must mainline MedlineGhetto_Chem must mainline MedlineGhetto_Chem must mainline MedlineGhetto_Chem must mainline MedlineGhetto_Chem must mainline MedlineGhetto_Chem must mainline Medline
Points: 5,821, Level: 11 Points: 5,821, Level: 11 Points: 5,821, Level: 11
Activity: 14.3% Activity: 14.3% Activity: 14.3%
Re: Making wax out of Butane. Help with yield?

First off its my friends understanding that the process your doing right now is making just BHO, butane honey oil. This is still the oil and it takes an additional step to turn it into the wax you desire. In all honesty they both have to be put in the fridge or freezer anyways to make them easier to work with, so my friend doesn't care so much about getting sticky BHO over the wax.

Next, white hairs is an indicator that the buds aren't fully matured, meaning less THC and related cannabinoids. Of course some of the trim buds are probably going to be from the bottom of the plant and may be somewhat immature compared to the other buds that were kept, but when my friend grows even his trim buds have fully matured hairs that are darkened up.

Other than this can't really help you as my friend has never made BHO or Wax, he only smokes it, he tends to stick with his isomerized oil method as it seems to make the product much stronger and the high is different in a way that catches people off guard.

Look up how to turn BHO into Wax to get it the consistency you want.

As for yields, it sounds like the butane may be the problem, there should be no keif floating in the butane at the end, if there is then that means there is ALOT of product being left behind. My friend once tried to do a "wash" method on some bud with isopropyl alcohol and had the same thing happen where the alcohol had floating keif crystals and after trying the end product became quickly obvious that it was an epic fail. (Not in quality just very low yield.)

Maybe trying different butane, or more? Not really sure...

-GC
Old 05-12-2012, 01:04
Titanium Member

62 y/o Male from USA - Alaska
Phaeton must live here.Phaeton must live here.Phaeton must live here.Phaeton must live here.Phaeton must live here.Phaeton must live here.Phaeton must live here.
Points: 1,184, Level: 5 Points: 1,184, Level: 5 Points: 1,184, Level: 5
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%
Re: Making wax out of Butane. Help with yield?

Been using butane for 10 years, but it is fussy.

Very dry trimmed bud yields about 8% by weight of oil.
Fan leaves yield .05% oil by weight.

This has been consistant with two different strains of sativa and a strain of indica.

Results are from liquid butane at -35 F with two minutes agitated soak time. Hexane gives similar results at room temperature but pulls more non psychoactive chemicals along with it.

If the design of the soak tube is not perfect possibly the butane is vaporizing instead of flowing through the bud as a liquid.
The boiling action drops the temperature down to -10 F and the liquid butane then dissolves THC off the trichomes. Timing can throw this off, resulting in poor yields even with quality bud.

Two ounces of dried bud fill up a quart container in this neck of the woods. That is an awfully large amount of butane to keep liquid. Smaller 1/2 cup containers have less expansion room for the liquid to explode into.

Trying to scale up the process to use more than 1/4 oz at a time is what led to doing the entire process at -35. Larger volumes were uncontrollable at room temperature.

EDIT to add:
Last night the temperature outside reached -47 F, southern locations may have trouble reaching this proper temperature.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Your post was very helpful, thank you for yield info and hexane extraction, good idea to add at the end how the temps are in your location, liquid butane would be hard for most to achieve :)

Last edited by Phaeton; 05-12-2012 at 01:12. Reason: outside temp

Share this on:

Tags
bho, butane hash oil, butane honey oil