Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Morphine
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 22-11-2012, 19:52
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Morphine for hydrocodone withdrawals

I have used the search engine and while learning some great information (as usual) I have a friend who is in a unique situation.

Right now he is going through hydrocodone withdrawals. He takes a maximum of 55mg of hydrocodone per dose, 3 to 4 times a day, and has a fairly high opiate tolerance (for hydrocodone). He has run out and found three 30mg extended release pills.

He only needs to get through one day because he will be able to take kratom after that.

So, the questions I am asking for him is can you just crush and snort the morphine 30mg extended release pill since needles are not an option? How many and how much of each extended release pill would he have to crush and snort to equal approx 50 to 55mg of hydrocodone? If it's possible, can he take (safely) two of the extended release morphine ER pills to equal a 50 to 55mg dose of hydrocodone?

He does not want to feel a "high" off of this, he is simply looking to prevent feeling withdrawals.

As I said, I did a search and read up on some interesting threads, but there is information regarding hydrocodone vs. morphine in potency. I have read that 10mg of morphine (taken orally) is equal to taking 10mg of hydrocodone (orally) all the way to hydrocodone having 2/3 or 3/4 the potency of morphine.

Thank you.
Old 23-11-2012, 04:17
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
Calliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline Medline
Points: 3,899, Level: 9 Points: 3,899, Level: 9 Points: 3,899, Level: 9
Activity: 5.9% Activity: 5.9% Activity: 5.9%
Re: Morphine for hydrocodone withdrawals

trd,

Orally morphine and hydrocodone are equivalent for pain relief. Morphine is stronger, but orally its bioavailability is far less than hydrocodone's, so mg for mg they'll provide the same pain relief. So if it came to it, taking 60mg of morphine orally he should find similar pain relief.

Snorting is a way of getting more aout of the morphine. So things are a bit more complicated by two factors -- he plans to snort, and the morphine is in extended release formulation.

Re snorting ROA: Morphine has from 2 to 6 times greater bioavailability snorted (60%) than orally (10%-30%). So to be safe I'd assume the 6x at first, which means for the effect of 55mg orally he will want to snort about 9mg, or a little less than a third of one of the 30mg pills. If this doesn't seem sufficient - snorting he should find that out fairly quickly - then i would snort another third of a pill. And again repeat if the 20mg snorted is not providing the pain relief needed. At 30 mg morphine snorted he should certainly be getting the same analgesia, even if he is not at the 20mg or 10mg (Though the 10mg or 20mg may well be as effective)

However all of that assumes you can alter the extended release pills to defeat whatever slows down the release. I don't have experience with those except the contin kind, the ones with the plastic-y coating but nothing beyond that acting to slow release. If his are contins, then all he needs do is wash the coating off and the remaining pill should be crushable so it is as if snorting a regular one. (I used to actually just run them under the tap to get wet and rub them in my hands; it comes off quite easily, dry em off, you're good to go)

If there is some other kind of time release mechanism, I am unsure what to advise at the moment. If you could reply with more details on that I might be able to help. Hopefully that won't be necessary and your friend can just do as above.

Finally, you probably know this but i should add anyway that just as snorting will get the medication working effectively much more quickly, he might well find that the length of time it is effective is shorter than his hydrocodone taken orally. So depending on his normal dosing schedule he may find need to take a second dose sooner and then over the day end up taking more individual doses than with the hydrocodone.

hope that helps some, just be sure to start small and go up incrementally and not too hastily. Hope your kratom appears soon =)

Post Quality Evaluations:
Extremely helpful and detailed. This information delivers.

Last edited by Calliope; 23-11-2012 at 04:54. Reason: changing pronouns
Old 24-11-2012, 04:48
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

27 y/o Male from United States
N0rthrnCa707 is captain of the psychonauts.N0rthrnCa707 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 276, Level: 2 Points: 276, Level: 2 Points: 276, Level: 2
Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5%

To the OP: what kind of kratom would I get, and how are the withdrawals when on it? I know they don't go completely away, but I also take hydro and I'm interested.
Old 24-11-2012, 13:23
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,868, Level: 21 Points: 21,868, Level: 21 Points: 21,868, Level: 21
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%

Bali kratom, aka red vein borneo, is the strain that seems to offer the most to people looking to switch from opiates or help with withdrawals.
Old 27-11-2012, 14:12
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%

The time has come for him to try this out (what we talked about). Before he does though, he wants to know, since the morphine is extended release, should (and is it safe) he take the coating off the pill and then swallow it so that he is not getting the equivalent of the hydrocodone dose over 8 to 12 hours?

I figure if the 30mg of morphine is about equal to hydrocodone dose (gram for gram) then if I take the extended release without taking off the coating first, wouldn't that be a very very weak dose........over 8 to 12 hours?

trdofbeingtrd added 1104 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

UPDATE:

My friend is now on hour 11 and the kratom should be coming any time, he is feeling just fine and not in a high kind of way.

Here is what he did on the last day (yesterday).

Beginning in the morning to afternoon he took one of the morphine 30mg ER (extended release) pills and washed it under water. When all the coating was off he lightly dried it. He then crushed the hell out of it. He took the amount given by poster who helped (she knows who she is ) and snorted it. This seemed to lightly help with the WD's (withdrawals) but two hours later he was right back to being sick. He then snorted one half of what was left. This helped for another couple hours.

Around the late afternoon he washed a second pill, and just chewed it up all the way. He did feel some warmness in his arms and thinks he felt a little bit of an opiate feeling he does not know so well. Regardless this kept him good until about 7 P.M. when he felt the WD's coming back slowly. He took some cimitidine and an hour later just swallowed the last pill, then took the rest of pill one and put it under his tongue.

Now he had been getting very little sleep, so he had about 5 hours in 48 hours so he is not sure that around 11 P.M. if how tired he felt was from the morphine or lack of sleep. He does know that he felt extremely tired but almost like it was assisted.

Anyways, thanks to all that helped. Needles were never an option and even though he got some great information on how to plug the morphine pills, he lives in a house where that would have been close to impossible. So, morphine can work to keep hydrocodone/kratom withdrawals at bay but he knew he would not want to get hooked on morphine as it would be worse than the other two and that was not the purpose for doing this.

Last edited by trdofbeingtrd; 27-11-2012 at 14:12. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 30-11-2012, 19:44
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

27 y/o Male from United States
N0rthrnCa707 is captain of the psychonauts.N0rthrnCa707 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 276, Level: 2 Points: 276, Level: 2 Points: 276, Level: 2
Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5%

I got some Bali kratom and am nervous about taking it with pills. Should I just try it by it self first?
I'm no stranger to opiates.

Share this on:

Tags
hydrocodone, morphine