Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 15-11-2012, 01:45
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
biggpri is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 91, Level: 1 Points: 91, Level: 1 Points: 91, Level: 1
Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5%
Why does smoking make alprazolam less effective?

I used th search engine, but had no luck. I'm wondering why, in a pharmocological or biological sense, smoking makes xanax less effective. What does it do chemically? I read that it prevents the absorbtion of xanax. Is this true and can anyone shed some more light on this?
Old 20-11-2012, 07:50
Titanium Member

Male from France
zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 545, Level: 3 Points: 545, Level: 3 Points: 545, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Why does smoking make alprazolam less effective?

Benzodiazepines are uneffective or less effective when smoked - the bioavailability of most benzos (their ability to penetrate the human bloodflow and the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier) is highest when used orally (eg. swallowed). Very few benzos can be injected for higher efficiency and this requires very special preparations - just crushing benzo pills and trying to dissolve and inject them can very easily lead to death.
There is a LOT of litterature on that matter on the forum, take time to do a new search, you'l find many answers. Also do consult wikipedia for specific benzos. You'll find the bioavailability values right on top of the article usually.
Old 20-11-2012, 23:02
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
biggpri is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 91, Level: 1 Points: 91, Level: 1 Points: 91, Level: 1
Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5%

Perhaps i should've worded my post a little better. What i meant to ask was why smoking cigarettes before taking a xanax dose makes it less effective. One time when i was prescribed xanax, i read in the accompanying pamphlet that smoking while taking this medication prevents up to 50% of its absorbtion into your system. Is this true just with cigarettes? Or also marijuana? And why is it absorbed less effectively?
Old 21-11-2012, 01:00

22 y/o Male from United States
Kratomlucida is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Swim has never heard of this. Usually people state smoking kicks in substances faster and better. Can swiy please explain why he/she is under the impression that smoking makes it less effective?

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please do not use SWIM http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197306
Old 21-11-2012, 03:46
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from United States
JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2

【Melting Point】230 - 231

【Boiling Point】509

Maybe the heat destroys it and changes it chemically before it gets to the point of vaporization. Or perhaps 509 degrees may be way too hot too reach with a butane lighter. Even if it was possible who would want that hot as smoke in their lungs? Not to even mention who knows what chemicals are produced by igniting the fillers in the pill?

If you really want it to hit faster than the 15-30 minute it takes and you can handle the taste, try it sublingually. It is completely gross enough for me just to swallow them though. It is truly the best ROA and most people with agree with this.

I am not sure of any of this so anyone sees something wrong with it feel free to clear things up. This is my best guess as to why smoking it sucks though.

Melting/boiling point info from: http://www.chemicalbook.com/ProductM...6141398_EN.htm

-Edit: WOW, I don't even remember posting that! Kind of funny but i guess i should lock myself away from my PC better while blacking out.

Sorry for off topic post. I seriously can't believe i did this.

Last edited by JJ1234; 29-11-2012 at 00:26.
Old 21-11-2012, 05:13
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.
Points: 863, Level: 4 Points: 863, Level: 4 Points: 863, Level: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1234 View Post
【Melting Point】230 - 231

【Boiling Point】509

Maybe the heat destroys it and changes it chemically before it gets to the point of vaporization. Or perhaps 509 degrees may be way too hot too reach with a butane lighter. Even if it was possible who would want that hot as smoke in their lungs? Not to even mention who knows what chemicals are produced by igniting the fillers in the pill?

If you really want it to hit faster than the 15-30 minute it takes and you can handle the taste, try it sublingually. It is completely gross enough for me just to swallow them though. It is truly the best ROA and most people with agree with this.

I am not sure of any of this so anyone sees something wrong with it feel free to clear things up. This is my best guess as to why smoking it sucks though.

Melting/boiling point info from: http://www.chemicalbook.com/ProductM...6141398_EN.htm
The OP wasn't referring to smoking the alprazolam; rather, smoking cigarettes before ingesting alprazolam.
Old 21-11-2012, 10:18
Titanium Member

Male from France
zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 545, Level: 3 Points: 545, Level: 3 Points: 545, Level: 3

yep, post wasn't clear at first - i've read that smoking makes benzos less effective for some reason somewhere already, probably here on DF, a search wouldn't harm.

As for smoking benzos vs ingesting: utfse! The issue is more than well documented on DF.
Old 22-11-2012, 04:06
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United States
RoK Krawler is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1 Points: 63, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Never had that problem. I have the, Did i just smoke one...? Oh well, Ill have another lol. So my almost two pack a day habit leans to a elevation of some sort. But all people are differnt, But if you dont smoke and take part in smoking before hand, It might be the stimulant in the cigarette thats stronger.

Share this on:

Tags
alprazolam, nicotine