Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Amphetamine > Adderall
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 13-11-2012, 02:40
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

22 y/o Male from United States
thecomedown is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%
Adderall has not only stopped working, it makes me feel worse.

I've been on Adderall for very close to a year. I quickly moved up to 30 mg and have been at that dosage for about 8 months. I was at 35 mg a day (25 xr, 10 ir) for a while but moved down to just 30 xr after trying out Vyvanse for a couple of months in between.

Today I had a test to study for and since I used to take 35 mg xr and it was okay with my psych, I took about 5 mg extra XR today to total 35 mg xr. I took it just as beads, made sure they were relatively evenly distributed, and figured it was either 5 mg or less.

I sat down to study, attempted to get some work done (discrete mathematics) and proceeded to do very little for barely more than an hour.

I felt grumpy, emotionless, and unfocused all day. My handwriting has become very sloppy, I have no interest in doing any coursework early for any of my classes, and I do not take notes/pay attention in class anymore.

Basically, in the past 3 months, I've noticed a huge decrease in efficacy of my Adderall.

The motivation to do anything early is gone. The motivation to clean is gone. The kick in the ass feeling it gives me is gone.

Virtually everything beneficial it could give me is simply gone. This occurred initially alone, but then side effects began to show up.

Now not only do I not feel focused, I feel less focused when I take it. I feel less motivated, less happy, less social, less inclined to clean or do homework on it.

Then I sit there wishing I had never taken this stupid fucking drug and wonder if it's just the case that I've been truly lazy all of my life and that I have to just accept that I may need to actually work hard in order to achieve things.

But I'm not that lazy of a person. I work pretty hard. I got all As and Bs in high school and I am a pretty talented musician.

I'm sorry if that's sort of irrelevant, I'm trying to write something relatively coherent.

The main problem I have and the only question I really want answered is:

Have any of you ever had the drug just completely shit out on you to the point where it literally doesn't work AT ALL anymore? I feel better when I don't take it now. Is that normal?

I used to feel amazing on it and do coursework for 8 hours straight sometimes.

I would love any insight that is relevant to my experiences so far. I'd be greatly appreciative of anyone who takes the time to read this and respond to it.

Thanks.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Personal account of the often limited use of adderall over long periods of time; contrasts with the typical glamorization seen in adderall threads
Old 13-11-2012, 04:12

27 y/o Female from United States
dexyrexy is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Re: Adderall has not only stopped working, it makes me feel worse.

Do you ever take a "drug vacation" to help with your tolerance level? I've heard from many adderall users that if possible you should abstain at least one or two days a week. For me, my tolerance raises quickly but also lowers quickly. There are also ways of increasing its effects....taking a Tums or baking soda + water before you take your meds, and avoiding acidic drinks like cola or lemonade. If you search the forum for ways of potentiating the effects of adderall you can find lots of info if you think it may help.
Old 13-11-2012, 05:45
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

thecomedown is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

Hi dexy, thanks for responding.

I've tried many of these things and I have in fact gotten them to work. In the past week I've taken 2-3 days off of it. I take magnesium supplements to slow the onset of tolerance as well.

It's not so much that the adderall isn't working as it is just not helping me do anything productive anymore...I actually feel better right now, now that it has worn off. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.
Old 14-11-2012, 18:43

I have had similar experiences with most stimulants. I also wonder if there is a cross-tolerance between stimulants, and I can't seem to find much info on this. I also tend to drink the energy Mio with my adderall, but that isn't for everyone as I have heard that quite a few people have bad experiences when combining their stimulants....that being said, I'm glad to hear that your "break" seems to have helped you some. When you take something for focus after a long period of time, sometimes it's not just your physical tolerance level but also the fact that you are mentally used to feeling a certain way. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about it (if you have it prescribed), I'm not sure if he could supplement your dosage with concerta or anything. He may also have some of his own ideas for you.
Old 14-11-2012, 18:43

midnight runner is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1
Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6%

Have any of you ever had the drug just completely shit out on you to the point where it literally doesn't work AT ALL anymore? I feel better when I don't take it now. Is that normal?

I used to feel amazing on it and do coursework for 8 hours straight sometimes.

I would love any insight that is relevant to my experiences so far. I'd be greatly appreciative of anyone who takes the time to read this and respond to it.

Hi,
I have taken Vyvanse 60 mg for over 3 years. Tolerance builds. Sometimes I have to motivate myself to focus my attention in the right direction. I get days where I am lazy and school work just doesn't sound fun. You could do a few extra things to help. 1. get 6-10 hours of sleep for two weeks in a row. 2. wake up earlier in the morning and take it with plenty of water. 3. have an empty stomach for the first few hours. Its like working out a muscle. music doesn't sound good to me anymore. it has made me feel weak, but not weaker and weaker. just do something about it, don't rely on the rush of chemicals to do the work for you. good luck with the math!
Old 14-11-2012, 18:45

I have had similar experiences with most stimulants. I also wonder if there is a cross-tolerance between stimulants, and I can't seem to find much info on this. I also tend to drink the energy Mio with my adderall, but that isn't for everyone as I have heard that quite a few people have bad experiences when combining their stimulants....that being said, I'm glad to hear that your "break" seems to have helped you some. When you take something for focus after a long period of time, sometimes it's not just your physical tolerance level but also the fact that you are mentally used to feeling a certain way. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about it (if you have it prescribed), I'm not sure if he could supplement your dosage with concerta or anything. He may also have some of his own ideas for you. Also, make sure to take your vitamins at night if you have any....if you don't have a good diet and aren't getting the right vitamins, it has a huge impact on how well your meds work.
Old 14-11-2012, 19:54

midnight runner is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1
Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6%

dexyrexy. vitamins & mio decrease the initial effects of orally administered stimulants. there is a cross tolerance! at least between adderall - dexedrine - vyvanse - meth (dont know about concerta, that stuff sucks) basically if its a similar high, its acting on a similar part of the brain. that part of the brain builds tolerance not to the drug but to the increase in activity. if that makes any sense. the thing i feel is most important is a full glass of water and a dose. (the instruction manual tells you to do so). coffee works fine after a couple hours to boost energy. i dont recommend messing with other stimulants *concerta/meth. its a marketing scam, energy drinks stuff like that is misleading.

to point out one thing about cross tolerance, i know for a fact theirs a cross tolerance. if you set meth, dexedrine, adderall & vyvanse on a table i'd grab those orange dexedrine tabs (to a psych dr, dexedrine is an option once adderall is proven not as effective as vyvanse & you require more focus during mid day (a booster) but uhh yeah drink water lots of water and caffeine...
Old 17-11-2012, 22:23
Silver Member

25 y/o Female from Canada
BitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline Medline
Points: 2,800, Level: 7 Points: 2,800, Level: 7 Points: 2,800, Level: 7
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%

Hey thecomedown, sounds like I could have written that post myself. I assume you are prescribed the adderall, correct? Well, either way, I can relate - I'm not nor have ever been prescribed it, but started using it and continued to do so for the motivational effects, increased energy, just the plan old desire to excel, especially in school.

A "med vacation" would definitely be a good idea, and I am sure of this because there was a point where I felt exactly as you do, actually feeling better with the drug not in me or wearing off. It was easy for me to stop taking it at this point because I was also falling asleep right after taking it; my body had become so dependent on it for energy that it was ridiculous. So either way, I was sleeping whether I took it or not and it made sense to me that I myswell stop taking it and be unproductive than keep taking it and still be unproductive.

Around the end of July I was at the point you describe being at, but I have been there many times before. I would still feel speedy but the desire to even touch my homework was hardly there, and when I did, I could last like an hour, then get a headache and feel bummed out and depressed. After a while, the adderall was so useless that it became an effort to even get up and shower while being on loads of it. I would get minor spurts of motivation, like cleaning for a half hour, then I would come back to normal aka not being OCD, and just feel depressed.

I also find that I do better without it. Sure, I may get one productive day, but in the long run, I am much better without it. I was always confused as to all the people that reported being so motivated to do homework and how it helped their grades so much; with me, I already had good grades before even trying adderall, and it didn't really improve my grades a tall. It helped me get through midterms, with a B average, but then again I was already majorly depressed and just using the adderall to beat my depression enough to study.

But it only makes sense that after extensive daily use for a relatively long period of time, it isn't going to be as good as before. Some people seem to be able to still get benefits from adderall even after a long time - I am not one of those people, but I take it out of habit and because without it, I seem to be lazy and unmotivated anyway. I wish I could go back to a time when I didn't know the drug existed, because there was no quick and easy route to hard work. Now it is so easy to get complacent and just bank on the pills, even if you know they are going to barely work. For me, it is easy to get off of adderall or dexedrine physically, but I am pretty much useless when I do. The hard part is learning how to function again and do things on your own will. It is disappointing when you take adderall and get such negative effects when you logically feel like it shouldn't be happening. With me, the cumulative effect of taking adderall just led to a huge depressive episode because I couldn't keep up the lifestyle anymore. It seemed I was damned if I did and damned if I didn't.

There is a drug call memantine that works wonders. You can read about it here.

If you feel better off of it at the moment, then I say continue on not using it and just try to do things like school work and cleaning, even if you won't be able to get a massive surge of energy and do tasks for extended periods of time. A few years ago I quit amphetamine right before finals, and I was so depressed on the day of my first exam because I wanted an adderall so bad. I forced myself to read my textbook, and thought that I was going to fail because it felt like I was making so little head way. In the end, I did fairly good on the exam and found I was just able to focus much better without the stupid drugs clouding my brain.

Then again I don't even have ADHD, but I have a friend with ADHD who only takes his meds when he absolutely needs them, and tries to cope without them. Maybe this isn't such a bad idea. We may feel super unproductive after experiencing the productivity that is possible on adderall, but we aren't really that unproductive. I also find that my tolerance both rises and decreases quickly, so that may be of comfort to you if you really are desiring the effects of adderall again. Maybe you could try just trying to do the things you do on adderall without it and see how far you can get. Personally, I undermine how much I can do on my own will, which makes me even more dependent on the drug. Perhaps we condition ourselves psychologically to think that way about ourselves.
Old 18-12-2012, 05:11
Silver Member

Female from United States
Tlaxcalli is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexyrexy View Post
I have had similar experiences with most stimulants. I also wonder if there is a cross-tolerance between stimulants, and I can't seem to find much info on this. I also tend to drink the energy Mio with my adderall, but that isn't for everyone as I have heard that quite a few people have bad experiences when combining their stimulants....that being said, I'm glad to hear that your "break" seems to have helped you some. When you take something for focus after a long period of time, sometimes it's not just your physical tolerance level but also the fact that you are mentally used to feeling a certain way. Maybe you could talk to your doctor about it (if you have it prescribed), I'm not sure if he could supplement your dosage with concerta or anything. He may also have some of his own ideas for you. Also, make sure to take your vitamins at night if you have any....if you don't have a good diet and aren't getting the right vitamins, it has a huge impact on how well your meds work.
There's totally a cross-tolerance between stimulants. I've experienced this with Adderall and Ritalin. But they also go well taken together. I think that's a lot of info on this, actually. Already read things on this forum about crystal meth and Adderall cross-tolerance.

I only recently started on these things... I'm only taking 10mg XR... hope this doesn't happen to me because this stuff is my savior.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:00
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
flingapoo is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I have gone through periods of time where it consistantly works and periods where it would just make me feel like a zombie with no personality. There have also been points where its made it very hard to concentrate and almost make me stutter as I could talk faster than I could think...

The funny thing about this drug or any really is theres always that idea that if I dont feel as good as I used to then I just need to take more. That way of thinking couldnt be further from the truth, if it doesn't work and makes you feel worse taper down to a fairly low dose and focus on making your body healthier. You can only operate at above 100% before something starts to burn out, your body is asking for a break, give it one.
Old 08-02-2013, 17:52
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from USA - Colorado
Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.Booty love must live here.
Points: 3,349, Level: 8 Points: 3,349, Level: 8 Points: 3,349, Level: 8
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%

Damn!! Its like your all in my head. I actually have adhd but i also have an addict in my head. So i benefit from low doses daily but i also want to be feeling on top of the world, and for me to feel like that, i had to take more and more(300 mg at a time) at one point. I decided to give my pills to my wife and i get a daily amount and i take them after work because i get more from less at home then at work.
Old 08-02-2013, 20:32
Silver Member

25 y/o Female from Canada
BitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline Medline
Points: 2,800, Level: 7 Points: 2,800, Level: 7 Points: 2,800, Level: 7
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%

That's weird lol there has been like a two month jump in some of the replies. Anyway, I am going through the same situation the OP describes (not sure if he is still going through it). I'm at the point where I might as well take nothing, but I hold out hope that "maybe today it'll work". Granted, I don't know why I should expect anything different when I have been using it and relying on it for so long. But I am constantly sleeping even when a good amount of adderall and dexedrine. It's really annoying, and it is very depleting.

To the OP, from personal experience and just general observations, it's normal to feel unfocused, depressed, unmotivated, because although it seems that doctors or some particular people think that ADHD medications are suitable for long term use... well, that may be true, but it's a good lesson that a pill can't truly fix everything. The drug is most enjoyable when we get those super-human effects like being able to study consistently for hours on end, and then clean without loathing every minute of it. Everything seems interesting, and then one day it's like UGH. I find the mental control to be the hardest. Even when I've stopped relying on it, I basically reverted to a stage of having no motivation and dread even the smallest tasks like taking a shower or doing the laundry.

After using a drug, any drug, it's hard to go back to the state of mind you had prior to ever knowing the drug existed. You need to give yourself credit where credit is due. You aren't lazy, or else you wouldn't have gotten good marks in high school. I think the mind and body becomes so exhausted after a while after being on amphetamines. Luckily you take your dose as recommended - problems arise fast when a person is taking huge amounts of amphetamine. Like another poster said, a drug vacation is the best thing you can do (while not the best thing technically, but a very good option). It may not be fun, but give yourself permission to be lazy for a few days instead of getting down on yourself and telling yourself you should be up doing something.

I'm at the point right now where I'm about to just stop taking adderall and dexedrine because it's just a waste of drugs (not prescribed it so am already on a limited amount financial wise). Your situation is common I believe as I have seen post after post depicting the same things.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall