Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 15-10-2012, 23:08

26 y/o Female from United States
HerHoliness is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5% Activity: 2.5%
Will I stop nodding out on methadone maintenance?

My little pony has been on an increasing dose of methadone since Thursday. Starting at 40mg and now at 90mg. She has been nodding out at each dose for a couple hours after getting her dose. How long will it take my lil ponies system to get used to the methadone?

Last edited by Phenoxide; 01-12-2012 at 19:40. Reason: font sized increased for readability
Old 16-10-2012, 02:51
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from Canada
Huckstable is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1
Activity: 3.6% Activity: 3.6% Activity: 3.6%
Re: Will I stop nodding out?

This is a serious indication side effect. If you are nodding out on methadone you are at at least 40% higher than you need to be. In addition, it takes up to 10 days of a dose to reach steady state, if you are nodding out before this steady state is close to being achieved, there is a high possibility of overdose.

I urge you to get medical attention if you are nodding out, as you could die from nodding on methadone. You MUST talk to your methadone doctor and lower the dose ASAP. This nodding out/high effect will go away, and if you are chasing it, you will raise you dose so high you will go through hell on earth trying to get off of it in the future.

Good luck

Post Quality Evaluations:
very good essential advice on risk of overdose
spot on, nodding on MMT suggests to high a dose or to rapid an increase leading to nodding and possible danger, well rounded response all around
Old 16-10-2012, 03:38

It is really so much of a nodding out as kinda making me sleepy. But I am going to have the DR lower the dose tomorrow morning because im not trying to chase the feeling. They had just increased the dose because I was still having cravings and they told me it was suppose to stop them. I just want to be stablized and once that happens then I will start going down to get off of them. Thank you though for letting me know I dont wanna die thats for damn sure.
Old 16-10-2012, 03:58
BitterSweet BitterSweet is nu online
Silver Member

25 y/o Female from Canada
BitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,654, Level: 7 Points: 2,654, Level: 7 Points: 2,654, Level: 7
Activity: 21.3% Activity: 21.3% Activity: 21.3%

90 mg is extremely large and is a rapid increase since your starting dose of 40 mg. Low-dose methadone clinics typically administer around 40 mg to patients. Intensification of methadone's low-dose effects seem to be occurring with the administration of your higher dose - as the dose increases, your sensitivity and emotional response to painful stimuli decrease; the probability of sleep increases; the ability to concentrate is increasingly impaired; breathing becomes progressively slower and more shallow; the heart rate gradually slows and blood pressure decreases.

Have you experienced any of these side-effects beside nodding/extremely sleepy?

Deaths have been associated with initial doses of methadone exceeding 60 mg in non-tolerant patients. If you have chronic hepatitis, this could limit your capacity to metabolize the drug to inactive compounds. You will know you are having an overdose if you have markedly shallow and slow breathing, deep sleep progressing into a stupor or coma, pinpoint pupils, clammy skin, etc.

It should only take within 1 - 2 weeks to adjust to this dose.

good safety advice and focus on risk of and signs of overdose
Old 16-10-2012, 04:21
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from Canada
Huckstable is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1
Activity: 3.6% Activity: 3.6% Activity: 3.6%

HerHoliness,

It takes at at least one week for a dose to build up in your body and reach its maximum effectiveness. My clinic started me at 30mg a day, went up 10mg a week. You can't just take a dose for a day and decide it's not working. You must give it time.

I don't want this to sound harsh, I just don't want you to end up dead, or being on a dose that is way too high, as it makes it that much more difficult to stop the methadone when the time comes. Normally you should wait a week to see if the dose is working for you.

By the way, methadone does not eliminate cravings. You are still going to have them, they are gonna get awful from time to time. Methadone makes the cravings manageable by reducing the physical aspect of the cravings. However no dose of methadone will eliminate the psychological aspect of cravings, the habituation that has been imprinted into your brain. Only you can do that by changing your routine, changing old using friends, avoiding certain areas, etc.

Methadone is just a part of a treatment plan that you should have. Without therapy, counselling, NA meetings (if you're into them, they're free while counselling and therapy is not), a good support group, etc. If someone has to go through a painful operation while awake, it'd be like that person taking the sedative and painkiller and then saying "Fuck the operation".

Good luck my friend, I wish you all the best
Old 16-10-2012, 06:20

[QUOTE=BitterSweet;1197888the probability of sleep increases; the ability to concentrate is increasingly impaired; breathing becomes progressively slower and more shallow; the heart rate gradually slows and blood pressure decreases.

Have you experienced any of these side-effects beside nodding/extremely sleepy?
QUOTE]
No, besides being kinda sleepy for a few hours and being constipated. I can concentrate fine but I do believe my breathing is a bit shallower, not too drastic though.
Old 16-10-2012, 12:26
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Shigeru is captain of the psychonauts.Shigeru is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 234, Level: 2 Points: 234, Level: 2 Points: 234, Level: 2
Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5%

90mg of Methadone IMO is very high dose for someone who is just starting on it. One of my best friends who was used to doing Hydrocodone but had never used Methadone before took 40mg, laid back on his bed, passed out and choked to death on his vomit. I don't want to spread FUD or alarm you but it's a real possibility. You're using it to come off Hydrocodone, if I'm not mistaken, and it's a much stronger drug than you're used to.

Methadone was my DOC and I used it on and off for over 10 years. I never got above taking 120mg at a time and my carpet is covered with cigarette burns from me nodding off and dropping cigarettes. I haven't used it for about 3 years and there is no way I'd start out with 90mg.

I know you aren't mixing them now, but just so you know, be sure not to take benzos while you're on Methadone as they can suppress the breathing reflex.

Take care.

sound advice on real risks of overuse
Old 16-10-2012, 16:25
Titanium Member

Female from Earth
natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 923, Level: 4 Points: 923, Level: 4 Points: 923, Level: 4
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

To the OP:

When my dog first went on Methadone he still had cravings as well. This happened no matter what dose he was on and he went all the way up to 90mgs to.

It took about half a year or so for those cravings to go away on their own and for my dog to realise that there's more to life.

Two years later my dog is maintained on 50mgs and he doesn't have those cravings anymore.

In my dog's opinion, it just takes some time when first beginning your treatment.

So keep in mind that it's not necessarily the dose. It sounds like your just starting out right?

Being on a proper blocking dose at this point can be a big help, especially if those cravings lead to an attempted relapse.

You don't want to end up all the way back to square one.

Last edited by natey7; 19-10-2012 at 16:01.
Old 17-10-2012, 00:21

I dosed 90mg this morning at 5 45am. I fell back asleep at 6 30 and was unable to wake up at 8 30. I finally got up at 9 30 with a severe headache then ended up throwing up. I was drowsy all day and took a nap around 1 15 until 2 40pm I woke up again with a severe headache and threw up again. Is this a methadone overdose? Or is there something else going on?
Old 17-10-2012, 00:37
Titanium Member

Male from United States

It's due to you not being used to taking that much Methadone. You're probably over medicated. I would occasionally get a headache from it. There's not much you can do about it that I've found except wait it out. Aspirin may help but I don't take that kind of thing so I don't know.

You'd do well to advise whoever takes care of you at the clinic and see if they can't lower your dose. You've been on it a few days now and any withdrawals you may have experienced coming off Hydrocodone should be subsiding by now. My advise would be to come off it altogether before you become addicted and end up trading a monkey on your back for a gorilla. It's up to you though.
Old 17-10-2012, 00:58

Ohh okay so tomorrow I will have the doctor lower my dose. I was freaking out. I am doing a 21 day taper off so once they get me on a stable dose I will start lowering the dose weekly. I dont want to get stuck on this shit.. even though it doesnt do anything to me like get me high or anything.
Old 17-10-2012, 19:35
Titanium Member

Female from Earth
natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.

My dog was throwing up when he was on 90mgs a day as well (usually after he ate). He was also heavily sweating.

These are both signs that my dog was overly-medicated, simlar to your situation.

Last edited by natey7; 19-10-2012 at 16:01.
Old 17-10-2012, 20:20
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from England
westie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way up
Points: 565, Level: 3 Points: 565, Level: 3 Points: 565, Level: 3
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

As everyone is saying it sounds like your dose is far too high. I noticed your other post that said you went up from 40ml to 70ml over 3-4 days & thought that was a lot. I would go see your doctor as soon as you can.
Am i right in thinking you we not even given it due to heroin addiction?
Old 18-10-2012, 03:15
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Australia
mikezombie777 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 373, Level: 3 Points: 373, Level: 3 Points: 373, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Simply put my friend, Methadone is is much much stronger than most other painkillers. Even Oxycodone. 90mgs is far too high for your addiction, IMO. If you're nodding off and vomiting, yes you are on far too high of a dose.

Methadone is one of the strongest painkillers out there, it's not something to mess with. And as stated previously, it will eliminate the physical cravings but not psychological one's. That you have to use other means to deal with.

As little as 20mg of Methadone has been known to kill. It's not a drug to mess with. You need to be extremely careful and dial back your dose asap.
Old 19-10-2012, 08:44
Titanium Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerHoliness View Post
Ohh okay so tomorrow I will have the doctor lower my dose. I was freaking out. I am doing a 21 day taper off so once they get me on a stable dose I will start lowering the dose weekly. I dont want to get stuck on this shit.. even though it doesnt do anything to me like get me high or anything.
So what's going on with you, HerHoliness? For a week you were posting every day, now you have haven't logged in or updated us on how you're doing since this post. When a person is posting about not being able to stay awake and puking due to the amount of Methadone they're taking then all at once you stop hearing anything from them it can seem ominous. I'm hoping it's something as trivial as your computer acting up.

Talk to us, HerHoliness.
Old 22-10-2012, 05:30

I am doing alot better! Im sorry I havent posted.. just been busy with alot of shit. They lowered my dose to 80mg and I havent gotten sick and whoo hoo im pooping! Thanks for caring about me, makes me know someone cares.
Old 22-10-2012, 05:39
Titanium Member

Male from United States

It's good to hear from you, HerHoliness. After losing a couple friends to Methadone I thought the worst when we didn't hear anything out of you.

I'm glad things are going better for you and hope you can finish your 21 day program with relative ease. Once you get off it you're still going to have to deal with a life without drugs so I hope you're getting some kind of aftercare plan in place.
Old 22-10-2012, 12:03
Titanium Member

Female from Earth

Swim would recommend taking a stool softener (Docusate Sodium or Docusate Calcium) on a day to day basis while you are on the Methadone.

Getting enough fiber in your diet can also be a big help. When consuming the fiber though be sure to have at least 1 large cup of water along with it, otherwise the fiber will actually make you more constipated.

And I know you are planning on coming off of the Methadone soon, but if you are ever having problems "going" while still on MMT, check out this thread: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=193829

Glad to see you are feeling better.

Cheers.

Last edited by natey7; 27-10-2012 at 13:04.
Old 11-03-2013, 00:41

57 y/o Female from United States
Aunt6983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Re: Will I stop nodding out on methadone maintenance?

I have a 19 year old nephew, that started using heroin when he was 14. He's been to rehabs, in one way or another 7-8 times. The last time, he chose a facility that treated him with seboxin . The Psychiatrist, would see if for 5 minutes, and give him a new prescription. He started buying methadone and Xanax on the streets. He recently found a methadone clinic and has convinced a family member, who loves him dearly that the methadone clinic is going to cure him. He goes everyday for his dose, which is currently 80 mg. I noticed a few weeks ago,that he's been nodding out allot. He doesn't think he needs long term rehab. I feel his hooked and likes being high. He's very thin and fraile. I'm scared were going to loose him. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Share this on:

Tags
methadone