Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis > Cannabis & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cannabis & Health Health risks, anxiety from cannabis use.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:41
Titanium Member

31 y/o Male from United States
SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.
Points: 2,488, Level: 7 Points: 2,488, Level: 7 Points: 2,488, Level: 7
Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8%
Why does smoking marijuana cause me to experience social anxiety like symptoms?

First off, just for the record, I hardly ever smoke weed anymore, but I used to smoke constantly everyday when I was in my teens. I'm now 30, and nearly every time that I smoke.....I fell like crawling inside a hole or something. I feel completely uncomfortable around just about everybody. It feels like everybody is laughing at me and it feels like they don't want me around, even if I'm at my house.

The first time this happened I was completely caught off guard. About halfway through smoking a joint I had a full-blown panic attack. I was almost in tears I was so terrified. I really thought I was going to die. This happened twelve years ago and it slowly started happening more frequently until I finally just gave up on weed.

When this first started happening, the only drug that I had ever tried was marijuana and I have never been on any medications or even seen a psychiatrist, so I think we can eliminate other drugs interacting with the marijuana as the problem.

Basically, I was hoping that somebody could help me understand why smoking weed makes me feel totally unlike myself.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by SmokeTwibz; 14-10-2012 at 21:07. Reason: changed 'crawly' to 'crawling'
Old 12-10-2012, 08:46
Silver Member

20 y/o Male from USA - Maryland
Dankitydankness is a decent psychonaut.Dankitydankness is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 597, Level: 3 Points: 597, Level: 3 Points: 597, Level: 3
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%
Re: Why does smoking marijuana cause me to experience social anxiety like symptoms?

maybe you really do have SA and weed just brings it out. kinda like schizophrenia

Post Quality Evaluations:
You could have elaborated much more on this post to give it more meaning and impetus.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51
Titanium Member

SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.SmokeTwibz really knows their shit.
Re: Why does smoking marijuana cause me to experience social anxiety like symptoms?

I have thought that before, but the only time I have ever experienced anything resembling social anxiety is after smoking pot.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34
Titanium Member

23 y/o Male from USA - Arkansas
PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.
Points: 4,486, Level: 9 Points: 4,486, Level: 9 Points: 4,486, Level: 9
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

This happens to me a lot and I hear people get medical marijuana for anxiety. I don't understand.

And darkness...what do you mean "like schizophrenia"
Old 14-10-2012, 08:00

Male from United States
jimmyjail is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

it could be because marijuana affects dopamine and when that is too high it can cause paranoia and anxiety because dopamine in excess can cause delusional or manic traits. Also dopamine converts to adrenaline so that can play a role in sparking anxiety.
Old 14-10-2012, 18:50
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United Kingdom
RClover is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 249, Level: 2 Points: 249, Level: 2 Points: 249, Level: 2
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Hi Smoke Twibz,

I experienced this towards the end of my weed use. When I remember back to the time I was in a bad place no job, no money, bad things had happened. Weed use to relax me but as the problems got worse it had the opposite effect, I started to experience anxiety and had a few panic attacks. I managed to stop weed as I landed a great job that requires drugs tests randomly all the time.

Four months down the line being completely weed free, in a great paying job and going on my first holiday in four years I was in a great place. As I had quite a bit of time off I decided to try it again knowing I would be clean by my next drug test, just for old times sake.

Me and a few friends had three between us, Enough to get us very high and the experience was amazing. The high seemed very new, I was laughing ended up getting the munchies and had a brilliant time. Since then I have not felt the need to do it again (although maybe at christmas )

My point being from this post:

Are there any outside factors that are affecting you?
It doesn't have to be big there could be the smallest thing playing on your mind.

Are you under pressure i.e got a deadline, test coming up?

Has the weed changed? I.e higher THC content, Lower CBD?

Hope this helps!

Great post! Shares personal experience, asks relevent questions, and everything seems well thought out...
Old 14-10-2012, 21:29
Titanium Member

Thanks for the replies!

The very first time this happened, the weed was very low quality, and I don't think I had a care in the world. I probably did have an excess of dopamine that actually makes a lot of sense. The last few times that I smoked weed, nothing bad happened. It was high quality stuff, and I use methamphetamine quite a bit, so my dopamine levels are probably lower than they were back when I'd get the panic attacks.

I just thought of something that I forgot to mention in my original post. It seems like whenever I would smoke weed out of a bong, or if I'd take a hit that made me cough really hard, the panic/anxiety attacks would be worse.
Old 20-10-2012, 10:39
BitterSweet BitterSweet is nu online
Silver Member

24 y/o Female from Canada
BitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPACBitterSweet must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,622, Level: 7 Points: 2,622, Level: 7 Points: 2,622, Level: 7
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%

Your anxiety is probably related to your psychological dependence. When cannabis is temporarily unavailable, anxiety related to the drug supply, or even feelings of panic, may result. Physical dependence on cannabis can develop in those who use high doses daily and abrupt termination can produce mild withdrawal symptoms, including nervousness and anxiety. But these withdrawal symptoms generally last less than one week.
Old 20-10-2012, 11:11
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from Australia
Jongo is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1

It seems to be different for everyone. Most of my friends are chilled and talking shit and relaxed, while most times I get really paranoid and will start worrying about what people are thinking of me. Especially when smoking buckets! And these are like my best friends. Would rather not choof around others.

Then there are people that are prescribed medical marijuana to treat social anxiety. Its like a polar opposite. Like a good mate of mine is prescribed 50mg dexamphetamine a day, for his ADD. He says it calms him down, so he can focus. And he will eat and sleep no worries. But there is no chance I could sleep, and I can never eat until the next day.
Old 20-10-2012, 11:51

35 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Fragart is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Piggy used to be very Socially awkward and suffer from anxiety to the point where he would hide from all social activities. Weed made this much worse for Piggy to the point of tears. Piggy enjoyed a weed much more alone and found it much more relaxing as he didn't have to worry about what anybody thought about him.

Now piggy through the Use of plant teachers, natural herbs meditation has learn to come to terms with his anxieties. Cactus has been of great benefit to Piggy,It's really Help him to search inside he's own self for answers. It helped him to understand himself in a way he never though possible and more importantly that it didn't matter what anyone thought about him. He began to understand that all that really matters is what you think off you and that it was within himself to be happy with his lot in life.

Now Piggy wants to live more than every and has no anxiety whatsoever. He is truly happy for the first time in his life and says to himself daily (this is me, This is what i am, you can either like it or not, look and stair, laugh all you want, i just Don't care!).

Cactus is a true en-lightener and can make you see things for what they truly are, It can teach you that all the answers are in yourself and to stop looking for other people or things to make you happy. That happiness is just a state of mind and you can choose to be happy or not. Piggy isn't saying this would work for everyone as you have to be open to it. But what he is saying it has worked for him.

Fragart added 9 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

PS Piggy can now enjoy a weed from time to time with no ill effects at all, he can cope with other people again. In-fact he enjoys it more then he ever did before

To see within first you must look within, only then will you know yourself and only when you know yourself can you turly love yourself. Loose your ego and never judge, only ever try to understand.

Last edited by Fragart; 20-10-2012 at 11:51. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 24-10-2012, 09:34
Titanium Member

I have noticed that if I only take one or two hits, I'm okay, but if I smoke as much as everybody else, or if enough times passes by where nobody says anything, that's when the circus in my head begins.

It's just weird to me that the only I ever feel this way is when I'm under the influence of marijuana.

I would also like add that I'm not trying to talk say anything negative about marijuana or anyone that uses it, I'm just curious.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts.
Old 24-10-2012, 18:17
Silver Member

Male from United States
AwesomeNarwhal is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 129, Level: 1 Points: 129, Level: 1 Points: 129, Level: 1

My cat can COMPLETELY relate to this.

My cat used to LOVE smoking marijuana in vast amounts, frequently. Now if my cat takes more than one or two hits, he begins to feel threatened by everyone around him and begins to have some schizophrenic delusions. However, when my cat consumes a large dose of amphetamines before smoking marijuana, the marijuana high is not nearly as detrimental on his mood, even more beneficial!

Note that my cat is prescribed Zoloft (100mg), Abilify (7.5mg), and Adderall (60mg), and has a family history of extreme anxiety w/ panic attacks, schizophrenia, depression, OCD, and other mental ailments.

I've found that prolonged use leads to bad effects, just cut back usage until you reach a baseline for the fun effects!
Old 24-10-2012, 18:48
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,318, Level: 12 Points: 7,318, Level: 12 Points: 7,318, Level: 12
Activity: 4.6% Activity: 4.6% Activity: 4.6%

I for sure can relate and have typed about it.... but for now here are some links that might help you out.

Here are links to people who have posted about this same problem.

https://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/se...archid=3512812

Here is a link for a "tips and techniques" made by the drugs forum members.

https://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=160007

Here is a link for two different anxiety/panic groups on DF.

https://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/group.php?groupid=107
and
https://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/group.php?groupid=256

Here is the wiki on panic attacks.

https://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sh...t=panic+attack

And last, we have an article/thread done on the possibility of vitamin deficiency (specifically E if I remember right) effecting those smoking marijuana and giving the anxiety and panic attacks.

Okay, I have searched and searched, I cannot find it, but I know it's on Drugs-Forum. If anyone can hook it up I would appreciate it. I have stuff to do, but you are for SURE not alone and when I get the chance I will put a link to my story and Mary Jane.

Great reply with links, gives A+++ effort to provide relevant information...
Old 31-05-2013, 05:53

32 y/o Male from United States
ryohazuki should review received reputation comments.
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragart View Post
Piggy used to be very Socially awkward and suffer from anxiety to the point where he would hide from all social activities. Weed made this much worse for Piggy to the point of tears. Piggy enjoyed a weed much more alone and found it much more relaxing as he didn't have to worry about what anybody thought about him.

Now piggy through the Use of plant teachers, natural herbs meditation has learn to come to terms with his anxieties. Cactus has been of great benefit to Piggy,It's really Help him to search inside he's own self for answers. It helped him to understand himself in a way he never though possible and more importantly that it didn't matter what anyone thought about him. He began to understand that all that really matters is what you think off you and that it was within himself to be happy with his lot in life.

Now Piggy wants to live more than every and has no anxiety whatsoever. He is truly happy for the first time in his life and says to himself daily (this is me, This is what i am, you can either like it or not, look and stair, laugh all you want, i just Don't care!).

Cactus is a true en-lightener and can make you see things for what they truly are, It can teach you that all the answers are in yourself and to stop looking for other people or things to make you happy. That happiness is just a state of mind and you can choose to be happy or not. Piggy isn't saying this would work for everyone as you have to be open to it. But what he is saying it has worked for him.

Fragart added 9 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

PS Piggy can now enjoy a weed from time to time with no ill effects at all, he can cope with other people again. In-fact he enjoys it more then he ever did before

To see within first you must look within, only then will you know yourself and only when you know yourself can you turly love yourself. Loose your ego and never judge, only ever try to understand.
Dude that's a really cool trip man. Did Piggy trip on cactus alone or with others when Piggy had this epiphany? Did it take several trips to have this realization? Does Piggy know what his dose was?

SWIM is really interested in trying cactus. I was wondering how piggy ingested it, did he use tea?

Do not use SWIM http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197306
Old 17-06-2013, 07:30
Silver Member

Male from United States
Innerdemon25 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 152, Level: 2 Points: 152, Level: 2 Points: 152, Level: 2
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Try smoking another strain, preferably a sativa!
Sativa is what they recommend to patients who suffer depression, anxiety, over sleep etc.
It wakes you up I guess you could say as to where Indica is the slouchy, and heavy body high.
Try looking around for some Sativa strains
Old 17-06-2013, 08:36
prescriptionperil prescriptionperil is nu online
Titanium Member

Female from United States
prescriptionperil really adds to the discussion.prescriptionperil really adds to the discussion.prescriptionperil really adds to the discussion.prescriptionperil really adds to the discussion.prescriptionperil really adds to the discussion.prescriptionperil really adds to the discussion.
Points: 663, Level: 4 Points: 663, Level: 4 Points: 663, Level: 4
Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3%

Speaking of MMJ

I have PTSD, which is the only anxiety disorder or affective disorder for one will be able to attain a MMJ
card for in my state. It would certainly help the PTSD induced insommia.

I'm also a chronic pain patient but the DEA, which is part of the federal government reigns over the
pain clinics. Therefore, those who need it the most won't be able to attain MMJ, because of the draconian laws of the federal government classifying marijuana, as a Schedule One Narcotic, along
with heroin, cocaine, meth, LSD etc. Multi millions of dollars are funneled into campaigns via Big Tobacco, Big Pharma and alcohol. Yet politicians continue to not allow pain patients access to MMJ. The death rate from tobacco, prescription drugs and tobacco are immense public health issues. Politics as usual.

I always found the anxiety from weed dissipated after around ten minutes. However, I tend to be
more chill smoking with those I'm comfortable with. Although, it sedating effects make it easier t
sleep with PTSD. In certain situations it amps up my natural anxiety though not to panic and never
paranoia. There's certainly nothing wrong with just taking a toke or two if that's your comfort zone. Also, people should abstain if paranoia or panic attacks wither the experience.

Last edited by prescriptionperil; 17-06-2013 at 09:13.
Old 27-06-2013, 04:15
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

27 y/o Male from United Kingdom
synx is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1 Points: 45, Level: 1
Activity: 7.0% Activity: 7.0% Activity: 7.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjail View Post
it could be because marijuana affects dopamine and when that is too high it can cause paranoia and anxiety because dopamine in excess can cause delusional or manic traits. Also dopamine converts to adrenaline so that can play a role in sparking anxiety.
I don't think it relates to dopamine because I can enjoy coke/amp etc. with no anxiety, but cannabis makes me EXTREMELY self concious, like not comfortable in my own skin. Even on my own I'll think negative thoughts and beat myself up.

I tried different strains and combining with alcohol and other drugs before I finally quit. I was sad to give it up because I had enjoyed smoking daily from 12/13 years old.

I'd urge anyone starting to get feelings of anxiety and self conciousness even when smoking in a safe place with close friends to stop using it immediately. Because those feelings carried over into my everyday life and to some extent are still with me to this day, which I take medication for.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30

32 y/o Male from United States
ryohazuki should review received reputation comments.
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by synx View Post
I don't think it relates to dopamine because I can enjoy coke/amp etc. with no anxiety, but cannabis makes me EXTREMELY self concious, like not comfortable in my own skin. Even on my own I'll think negative thoughts and beat myself up.

I tried different strains and combining with alcohol and other drugs before I finally quit. I was sad to give it up because I had enjoyed smoking daily from 12/13 years old.

I'd urge anyone starting to get feelings of anxiety and self conciousness even when smoking in a safe place with close friends to stop using it immediately. Because those feelings carried over into my everyday life and to some extent are still with me to this day, which I take medication for.
This happened to me verbatim. Seems like weed seems to fuck with people who have underlying schizo genes for sure. Or, it could be just for some personality types. The negative effects I eventually got from weed are the same as yours, and I wish I had stopped immediately like you have because I am still recovering from them. What medication do you take?

ryohazuki added 1 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

**stopped immediately like you advise because I am still recovering from them. What medication do you take?

Wish this forum had an edit option..

Last edited by ryohazuki; 01-07-2013 at 09:30. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-07-2013, 12:14
Mercury Member

Male from Serbia and Montenegro
kromplov needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

For me, Cannabis causes something which is opposite of social anxiety. But I am not socialy anxious even when I don't use Cannabis. But when I am done, I am much more talkative, much more passionate with girls and much more able to to feel and express empathy.
Old 01-07-2013, 18:00
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from Israel
MikePatton really adds to the discussion.MikePatton really adds to the discussion.MikePatton really adds to the discussion.MikePatton really adds to the discussion.MikePatton really adds to the discussion.MikePatton really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,330, Level: 5 Points: 1,330, Level: 5 Points: 1,330, Level: 5
Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0% Activity: 6.0%

Some people get a relief from anxiety when smoking weed, and some people get anxiety when they smoke weed. Drugs affect diffrent people diffrently, but if you ask me it's all about set & setting.

Set & setting is the primary factor in drug related anxiety in my experience. Personally, I've been suffering anxiety, panic attacks, social anxiety etc. for most of my life, smoking a little bit in a safe environment kills the anxiety but smoking too much in an unsafe environment would trigger it. With synthetic cannabinoids, anxiety would break lifetime records on many occasions.

I have PTSD, and since the law doesn't grant me medical marijuana, I can never afford enough to completely cure my symptoms. But when I do smoke, I feel that I no longer need my pills, so it's a damn shame...

Share this on: