Notices

Amphetamine Amphetamine AKA speed

Old 03-10-2012, 00:21
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Earth
RoflCopter4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
For actual ADHD treatment: Adderall vs Ritalin?

Most threads comparing the two seem to be from the mindset of healthy people using them to get high, rather than as an actual treatment for ADHD. So, I'll ask here, for those of you who do use either of the two to treat ADHD which do you prefer?

I find Ritalin to be far superior in straightening out my mind and allowing me to think clearly and coherently, and being in better control of my thoughts and actions. Adderall is better for the energy and motivation it provides, but does nothing to help my ADHD like Ritalin does. Any other opinions?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:56

20 y/o Male from Canada
PressXForSex should review received reputation comments.
Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: For actual ADHD treatment: Adderall vs Ritalin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoflCopter4 View Post
Most threads comparing the two seem to be from the mindset of healthy people using them to get high, rather than as an actual treatment for ADHD. So, I'll ask here, for those of you who do use either of the two to treat ADHD which do you prefer?

I find Ritalin to be far superior in straightening out my mind and allowing me to think clearly and coherently, and being in better control of my thoughts and actions. Adderall is better for the energy and motivation it provides, but does nothing to help my ADHD like Ritalin does. Any other opinions?
This is from personal opinion but i dont like either of those drugs. im prescribed 30mg of vyvanse 1 a day if your looking just to be in a good mental state for school a dose ranging from 20-40 i would say is good if you dont have a outstanding tolerance to amph's. If your down for a really good day in school id say 60mg and up its really good you start to work and you cannot stop. When i get home i start to clean my room and from what ive herd alot of people with A.D.D are very messy so it helps alot at home. I find vyvanse is best of both worlds gets the job done and you can also have some fun cause its very enjoyable and clean.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:52
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
fizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way up
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

It very much depends on the individual. I have been diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type with underlying social anxiety. From my experience methylphenidate is has too many side effects, the worst of which is the anxiety, which is obviously not good when you already have anxiety. Mixed amphetamine salts aka Adderall is better but the levoamphetamine portion tends to increase anxiety levels.

Thus, I am currently prescribed dextroamphetamine aka Dexedrine as it has fewer side-effects while providing optimal symptom relief. The same can be said for lisdexamfetamine aka Vyvanse but it lasts way too long which limits the flexibility of when you can take it.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:13
Silver Member

Male from Canada
usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%

I'm just reading upon this thread, and noted the last person commented saying that methylphenidate gives more anxiety than amphetamine? Can you comment on the differences? How is amphetamine experience different?

For context, I've been using Ritalin for my treatment of ADD, but it gives me a lot of anxiety of the comedown. I don't use it to get high because the side effects are so strong, even 10 mg for me. The comedown off 10 mg seems disproportional to it's effects, and really strong.

I feel disoriented, extremely tired but unable to sleep, reduced vision, and I feel very restless and uncomfortable. Long and short, I feel pretty bad but I'm scared to tell my doctor about these symptoms. I don't want to get off this medication because it's pretty necessary right now for me in order to do work for school and just to concentrate on stuff, but i hate the side effects.

My understanding was that the side effects for amphetamines were worse and that's why you get prescribed methylphenidate first. Can anyone comment on this?
Old 05-10-2012, 16:02
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
fizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way up
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by usually0 View Post
I'm just reading upon this thread, and noted the last person commented saying that methylphenidate gives more anxiety than amphetamine? Can you comment on the differences? How is amphetamine experience different?

My understanding was that the side effects for amphetamines were worse and that's why you get prescribed methylphenidate first. Can anyone comment on this?
It is not a universal truth by any means, but for memethylphenidate causes more anxiety and has a shittier comedown. The only way to know which is the best one for you is to have experience with each one. I was actually never prescribed methylphenidate, but I used it a frequently as an undergrad.

I have seen many doctors (I have lived in 4 different states in the last 3 years) and aside from one who outright would not see me due to some insane logic, each one has been willing to let me switch meds. Some doctors may not be so willing and perhaps I have been lucky. Bare in mind I do not know how it works in Canada or what your personal situation is.

However, I do know that you will always be on the same meds unless there is a reason to change it. Your doc is not a mind reader. It is good to be honest with your doc and establish an honest relationship. It never hurts to ask if there are other alternatives.
Old 05-10-2012, 22:45
Silver Member

Female from United States
The_Joker is captain of the psychonauts.The_Joker is captain of the psychonauts.The_Joker is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 367, Level: 3 Points: 367, Level: 3 Points: 367, Level: 3
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

I have adhd and all of them work about the same for me, but Ritalin to ME is not as relaxing and calming as Adderall or Dexedrine.

Vyvanse (ER Dexedrine) has got to be the most calming adhd med i have ever taken.

Ritalin works great, too, and it is cheap, but try to get either the name brand or the sandoz generic because all the other generics just suck.

But to me, it is the least "calming" and i tend to be more aloof and "work-focused" on ritalin than on amphetamines. On amphetamines i can focus well and get things done, but i am friendly and relaxed. On ritalin i am often sort of uptight and looking for something to do.

But either keeps me from bouncing off the walls.

In NORMAL doses. High doses of either make me tweeky and freaky.
Old 08-01-2013, 21:00
Silver Member

Female from United States
Tlaxcalli is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1

So far I have an experience similar to the OP, but I'm only on Day 2 of my Adderall IR prescription of 20mg/day. I tried a few pills from a friend before that and also quit the Adderall XR prescription of 10mg/day that was causing me wild sleep problems and not being very effective at that dose. Before that I was on 10mg/day Ritalin. The biggest problem with Adderall IR that I experience so far is that I seem to develop a tolerance to Adderall very quickly. Therefore, while the first day at a (higher) dosage might make me feel amazing, the next day is a vastly different experience. Also, I seem to get irritable easily when my Adderall isn't at a high enough dosage, which it rarely seems to be... although this could be due to sleep deprivation and/or stress I have been having at work... because I woke up feeling extremely stressed out about work the day I was to start my Adderall IR prescription (yesterday), and I couldn't de-stress until I hung out with my housemate late at night (she offered me a job + Adderall really makes my conversations more fun). And today I'm exhausted because I didn't sleep early enough last night... being exhausted on Adderall feels like shit.

Ritalin makes me feel physically uncomfortable and doesn't give me that feeling of immediate pleasure/joy that Adderall does, which is why I switched. But I didn't experience a wild difference between the first day and the next day on it, and it seemed to be sustainable over the long-term, or at least a few months, whereas I'm not sure Adderall will sustain me even a few days without needing a higher dosage. Adderall can really help me focus and accomplish things when I'm on a sufficient dosage AND when I'm not exhausted from the drug keeping me up all the time in addition to draining my brain... but so far I'm not seeing that effect in the long-term. So maybe the biggest trade-off for me is between Adderall's immediate pleasure and Ritalin's long-term happiness. I felt unusually happy on Ritalin because I was getting shit done ALL THE TIME. Adderall has been a roller coaster between unusual levels of pleasure+focus and an almost nightmarish inability to ever be well-rested...
Old 10-01-2013, 01:35

Male from Earth
ChemicalGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Some people respond better to one or the other. Swim's patient tried Ritalin first and it helped him focus when reading, but gave him anxiety. Adderall was superior for swim's patient, it helped him finally read and finish a book, do well in school, be motivated to complete mundane chores and other daily tasks on time.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please do not use SWIM http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197306
Old 20-02-2014, 05:40

26 y/o Male from United States
vette156 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I'm prescribed 2 and a half amphetamine salts a day, but i want to switch to Ritalin. How would i go about doing it? I've been on amphetamine salts since i was 17 and I'm 26 now. that is a while!!! Wouldn't any side effects show up by now that she would say i would have mentioned.? Also i like the adderell and don't wanna get taken off it if i cant get Ritalin, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....
Old 04-04-2014, 10:05

24 y/o Male from Australia
RandomSmallham should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 88, Level: 1 Points: 88, Level: 1 Points: 88, Level: 1
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

It's very dependent on the individual, personally I find Ritalin has very few positive effects on attention or motivation (the two areas I have most trouble with). Though it does make me very talkative and sociable, and contrary to most reports I barely notice a comedown off Ritalin at all.

I currently take Dexedrine which gives me huge boosts in motivation, alertness and concentration; though I find it has very little (if any) recreational potential. I also get terrible back-pains and muscle tightness from even low doses.

Most psychiatrists will give you the option to test you're reaction to a number of medications to find the right(best) one for you. At least that has been my experience.

Share this on:

Tags
add, adderall, adhd, amphetamine, anxiety, comedown, dexedrine, l-lysine, methylphenidate, ritalin, vyvanse