Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Heroin
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 30-09-2012, 23:13
Silver Member

Female from United States
Katgirl09 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
3 months pregnant and have been using heroin

Hello. To start, I know I need to tell my doctor I have been using heroin. I have had my 1st prenatal appt and my first sonogram, and I panicked and at that point had not yet told my doctor about my drug use. I plan on telling her at my next appointment, and for right now I just need some insight on this. I know theres a chance I will show up to my next appt. and find out bad news, since I have been using heroin, but for right now I am just hoping for some good news, such as the possibility EVEN if its slim to none that I will give birth to a healthy baby. I have wanted a child so bad, and am ecstatic that I am finally pregnant. However, I began casually using heroin in March of this year. I guess I would say I am an addict, but definately not a die-hard one. My heroin use is about 1-2 times a week and 1-2 bags at a time. Like I said, there are people who do way more than that, but seeing where-as I had a hard time quitting I still consider it an addiction.

Obviously I am nervous what I have done to my poor, undeserving baby because drug use should in NO way be tolerated during pregnancy. Even if not pregnant I should not being doing it. But I am hopeful that theres a chance of still having a healthy baby because I have had no signs of miscarriage such as bleeding or pains. I have felt fine thus far.

I am just curious as to anyone with knowledge on this topic could possibly tell me if there is a chance I will have a healthy baby. I know there is no way to know until I tell the doctor and go back, but even if someone has been through the same situation or known someone in this situation who didn't have a terrible outcome for their poor judgement could give me some input. I am not touching the stuff ever again, I do not get sick when I don't have it, seeing where as I do such a low amount only once or twice a week.

Post Quality Evaluations:
a very honest post, thankyou for sharing such a personal experience
Honest concerns over the risks of heroin use in pregnancy, thankyou for sharing this with us
Old 01-10-2012, 00:33
Titanium Member

Female from United Kingdom
Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.
Points: 1,985, Level: 6 Points: 1,985, Level: 6 Points: 1,985, Level: 6
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Re: 3 months pregnant and have been using heroin

The good news is YES you and baby can come through this pregnancy BUT only if you tell your doctor now. I know youre scared but it is very important for you and baby that you tell your doctor about your heroin use right away; dont wait for your next appointment phone them up and tell them over the phone. Heroin use during pregnancy carries risks for the baby, I wont lie to you about that BUT the sooner you have medical help the better, seriously this cant wait, you have to address it now.
Dont think you can deal with this on your own and whatever you do dont just stop using heroin, a sudden withdrawal can be so dangerous for you both. You see this is why you need to talk to the docs, just stopping could be the worst possible thing.

I'm not qualified to advise you, and all I can really do is repeat what I've read on here and on the internet and that doesnt seem good enough when youre dealing with something as important, as precious as a baby so I have passed this thread onto one of our members here who has been through exactly the same experience and has a beautiful son, so dont lose hope but you have to act now and you have to tell the doctors. dont wait. The earlier you get proper medical advice the better things can be, medical intervention in the first trimester has the greatest benefit for baby so every day waiting is a day wasted.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, I wish you and your baby all the luck in the world, but get off the internet and get down the doctors, this is very real and you need to act now.

Absolute bullseye information. Compassionate and emotionally accurate. Well done!
Old 01-10-2012, 00:56
Mercury Member

Male from United States
poop mayer needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Sorry.

Please do some research first before handing out advise, especially since the advice you gave could have had serious repercussions on an unborn child
harmful advice
judgemental post and dangerous advice

Last edited by poop mayer; 01-10-2012 at 03:28. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-10-2012, 01:01
Titanium Member

Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.
Points: 1,985, Level: 6 Points: 1,985, Level: 6 Points: 1,985, Level: 6
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by poop mayer View Post

If you truly didn't know you were pregnant before using. please be smart and stop now.
Dont take advice off the internet for gods sake, this is your babies life youre dealing with. Going into withdrawals during pregnancy can cause miscarriage, it could kill your baby and you. You have to go to the doctors.

Poop Mayer...If you havent got anything useful to say then you should just shut the fuck up.

Clear and concise advice for OP, and well done correcting what could have been a dangerous bit of advise from another poster
good job on calling out harmful information
Old 01-10-2012, 01:11
Banned

Female from Earth
Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.Hey :-) really knows their shit.
Points: 1,859, Level: 6 Points: 1,859, Level: 6 Points: 1,859, Level: 6
Activity: 27.1% Activity: 27.1% Activity: 27.1%

@p mayer ;

Birth control can fail , unplanned pregnancies can happen . Pregnancy is not always obvious initially .

Your advice to just stop now is unsound .

To the OP ; discuss everything with your doctor as soon as possible and let the professionals help you and your baby .

All the best
Old 01-10-2012, 01:15
Silver Member

Thank you so much. Its sunday night here so I will be calling her in the morning. Ive needed a good reason to quit for months now and my babys life is the best reason I can see. I pray every minute that I get the chance to have a healthy baby. Thank you again
Old 01-10-2012, 01:22
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
PAin kiLLed hEre is an unknown quantity at this point
You should really get help, the sooner the better. Mayer is right, although I disagree the way they went about saying it. These forums are not to judge but to help people understand drugs better and get answers to questions they may have. I agree with Anna, get help ASAP!

Hope ur baby is healthy and congrats
Old 01-10-2012, 01:25
Palladium Member

40 y/o Female from England
source must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medline
Points: 5,099, Level: 10 Points: 5,099, Level: 10 Points: 5,099, Level: 10
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Katgirl09,

Welcome to DF, both of you! And congrats on your pregnancy

Please take Anna's advise hun, do not just stop using and make sure to go see your doctor as soon as. You'll need to be totally upfront and honest with your doctor about how much heroin you are currently using so that they can give you all the best medical care that you and your little one deserve.

Do not try and do this all on your own, get the help now, so you and your baby can both safely make it through pregnancy.

Good luck with everything Katgirl, check in and let us know how things go at the doctors, we'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you!!!

All the best, stay strong girl
Old 01-10-2012, 02:12
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,765, Level: 11 Points: 5,765, Level: 11 Points: 5,765, Level: 11
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%

Okay, I'm just going to tell it like it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katgirl09 View Post
I am just hoping for some good news, such as the possibility EVEN if its slim to none that I will give birth to a healthy baby.
It is likely that you will follow the same path as the millions of other heroin addicts that came before you, which is as follows:

You will give birth to a low weight baby with a low APGAR score. It will spend the first 1-2 weeks of its life in a special care baby unit because it fails to thrive. Some of its newborn reflexes will be impaired; in particular the sucking reflex. Your baby won't latch on to your breast and it will spend the first couple of weeks screaming a high pitched cry because it is starving hungry. You will look on in angst as they dose your tiny baby morphine, in an attempt to stop its withdrawal symptoms and try to get the baby to eat, bond with you, and sleep.

Your baby will suffer slowed GI motility from the morphine and will struggle to poop. As you walk up the hallway towards the special care baby unit, you will hear the devastating screams of your baby trying to pass wind and shit. It is incredibly painful. All the nurses will turn to you as you enter and glare at you, because they've had no peace and quiet on their shift. Your baby is waking up all the other babys in the unit, and they're sick with genuine conditions and NEED to sleep more than your baby. For example, some are born with heart problems and some are born with stomach contents outside of their abdomen. You know.. their parents had no say in whether their baby would be born healthy or not. It wasn't their CHOICE to make their baby suffer.

Your baby can forget sleep... it's on morphine. It needs respiratory observations performed hourly to monitor for respiratory depression. But don't worry! There will be narcan in the drawer next to your baby to administer the second your baby stops breathing! During any MET response required, other parents might hear a brief handover - especially if the doctors have run up from another department. One of the factors is that "mother used heroin during pregnancy". You can bet your arse the other parents, who are visiting their genuinely sick babies (who are usually facing the prospect of their baby dying), are going to look at you like a piece of shit because you had a fucking CHOICE.

The nurses will treat you like a second grade citizen because you took smack when you had a life inside of you. They won't pity your tears of remorse and they will size you up quite noticably while they decide whether you're fit enough to take this poor innocent baby home with you. It's their call whether to report you to the authorities and you can probably expect a visit from social work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katgirl09 View Post
My heroin use is about 1-2 times a week and 1-2 bags at a time.
One thing I've noticed about doing health assessments on people is that they always underestimate their drug and/or alcohol use to make it look like they don't have a problem. Very typical of people in the beginning throes of addiction.. for example, someone who just started using heroin in March. Technically you're still in the "denying that a problem exists" stage because you still want to use heroin; even at the cost of your unborn child's health. Am I right?

On the flipside, if your estimation is correct, you're merely a recreational heroin user who is introducing a teratogen to an unborn child. Take a good hard look at yourself if this is the case and snap out of it. It's not about you anymore. If you're addicted to heroin; you need to speak to your doctor and go onto methadone. The safety and efficacy of methadone during pregnancy is well researched and there is evidence that doses of less than ~38mg per day do not result in post-natal withdrawals. Split dosing has a higher success rate and this does NOT include using smack on top of your dose.

The sooner you seek help, the better your life will pan out from here onwards.

Wow EJ, spot on, excellent post with heaps of very important and urgent advice for OP. Great addition to this thread that will also help others out in similar situations. Well done!
exact and correct answer to the OP. this post comes from a loving place.
Great post. I was blown away
focussed and realistic advice. A very important addition to the thread
Info like this makes DF the great website it is.

Last edited by ex-junkie; 01-10-2012 at 10:43.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:32
Mercury Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAin kiLLed hEre View Post
You should really get help, the sooner the better. Mayer is right, although I disagree the way they went about saying it. These forums are not to judge but to help people understand drugs better and get answers to questions they may have. I agree with Anna, get help ASAP!

Hope ur baby is healthy and congrats
Thank you, how is it correct to keep using heroin while pregnant? At least ween off or something. Babies can come out so fucked up from using drugs. Everyone just started attacking me because I said it was wrong to get high during pregnancy, thought it was just common sense. I'm not an expert at all on this... but...

AND, if your heroin usage is ONLY once every 2 weeks and 1-2 bags at a time, you DON'T have a tolerance, if you go two weeks in between uses, that isn't enough to build a physical tolerance. What do you think you should do?

Dangerous medical advice AGAIN. This is a life we are talking about, your opinion has been discredited many time already so please stop pushing it on this baby
please stop advising unsafe DIY techniques
he is right though if she can go two weeks without heroin she can just stop.but i think shes lying about the usage
Old 01-10-2012, 03:38
Silver Member

lil miss goose is a decent psychonaut.lil miss goose is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 153, Level: 2 Points: 153, Level: 2 Points: 153, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hi katgirl, i just wanted to wish you and your little bump lots and lots of luck.

I truely hope all works out good for you both.

You have already had some spot on advice which all i can do is agree with, see your doc before anything else, right now you have the best reason in the world to change direction.

I believe the strongest love is the love a parent has for their child, you have so much to look forward to i promise you.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:03

22 y/o Male from United States
substance user should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

i dont see how you can be physically dependent on h considering your usage patterns, and if you arent physically dependent I dont see how you can justify using h to yourself when your pregnant, I could lecture you about being irresponsible etc. but you dont need that, you need to focus on whats best for your child right now, and using heroin is not in that category, tell your doctor what the situation if you/your child are physically dependent talk with your doctor about the best course of action, if you arent physically dependent tell your doctor about your use anyway and dont do any more dope, I understand the mental side of addiction makes all of this difficult but you are no longer responsible for just yourself, all the choices you make affect your child as well as yourself, i wish you both the best of luck

when you find out, post if its a boy or a girl, id love to know
Old 01-10-2012, 10:08
Palladium Member

24 y/o Female from United States
runnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medline
Points: 4,036, Level: 9 Points: 4,036, Level: 9 Points: 4,036, Level: 9
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

The biggest risk of using heroin during pregnancy isn't the heroin but the risk of cold turkey withdrawal. The use of heroin is dangerous but to suddenly stop like some people have suggested would be the absolute worst thing she could do. The baby will go into withdrawal with the mother and often the baby dies in the womb, is spontaneously aborted, or is delivered prematurely. The baby just cannot handle sudden withdrawal.

Methadone seems to be the route most often taken by doctors. It is safer than using heroin and way safer than just quitting on your own. Although there isn't much long term data on suboxone use during pregnancy from what I've read it's also considered safe and sometimes even safer than methadone. Your doctor will help weigh your options and will probably also recommend some type of substance abuse counselling. If you smoke or drink you also need to let your doctor know as smoking and drinking carry many of the same risks as heroin.

The best thing you can do now is to keep your appointments and follow your doctors advice and I'm so glad to see you're going to call her tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes.

runnerupbeautyqueen added 0 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

The biggest risk of using heroin during pregnancy isn't the heroin but the risk of cold turkey withdrawal. The use of heroin is dangerous but to suddenly stop like some people have suggested would be the absolute worst thing she could do. The baby will go into withdrawal with the mother and often the baby dies in the womb, is spontaneously aborted, or is delivered prematurely. The baby just cannot handle sudden withdrawal.

Methadone seems to be the route most often taken by doctors. It is safer than using heroin and way safer than just quitting on your own. Although there isn't much long term data on suboxone use during pregnancy from what I've read it's also considered safe and sometimes even safer than methadone. Your doctor will help weigh your options and will probably also recommend some type of substance abuse counselling. If you smoke or drink you also need to let your doctor know as smoking and drinking carry many of the same risks as heroin.

The best thing you can do now is to keep your appointments and follow your doctors advice and I'm so glad to see you're going to call her tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes.

Last edited by runnerupbeautyqueen; 01-10-2012 at 10:08. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-10-2012, 17:42
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from England
westie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way upwestie420uk is on the way up
Points: 575, Level: 3 Points: 575, Level: 3 Points: 575, Level: 3
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

Congratulations on the news you are pregnant!
Most people have been spot on with the info you have posted, however i would stop taking heroin. From how you describe your usage you should not suffer any withdrawal. Having said that i would still tell your doctor straight away about your drug use as i have no idea if the baby could still suffer.
If you stop doing heroin now i can not see any reasson why you can't go on to have a healthy baby.
I hope things all go to plan for you!

Please make sure you read the whole post before replying, as already stated, stopping heroin use can be very harmful to unborn child

Last edited by Phenoxide; 02-10-2012 at 01:03. Reason: Automerged Doublepost fixed
Old 03-10-2012, 09:50
Gold Member

Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline
Points: 4,235, Level: 9 Points: 4,235, Level: 9 Points: 4,235, Level: 9
Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7% Activity: 5.7%

You've had some excellent advice from both ex-junkie and runnerupbeautyqueen, so I'm not going to add anything else in terms of the medical side of it - you know what you need to do.

However, what I will say is many others have been there, and made it out the other side. But it's not going to be easy, not by any means. The important thing to remember is that it's not what you've done in the past few months that matters now, it's what you do from here on in. So, hopefully if you don't use again, are honest with your doctors, and look after yourself throughout the rest of the pregnancy, things should go well.

But there's still the question of what has been driving you to use heroin in the first place. You stated that you've always wanted to be a mother; this should therefore be a time of joy and celebration, not a time to start down the road of heroin use. Whatever undisclosed demons have lead you to using in the first place, especially at this time, still have a damn high chance of rearing their heads again. Pregnancy isn't easy, and raising even a perfectly healthy newborn can be an immensely stressful and lonely experience, especially if you're on your own. You didn't mention, is the father around? Do you have any support? Are you close with your family?

Obviously the medical side of things needs to take precedence, but you need to keep an eye on your psychological and social health as well. If only to ensure you can be as good a mum as possible to your child.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2012, 17:56
Mercury Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Thank you, how is it correct to keep using heroin while pregnant? At least ween off or something. Babies can come out so fucked up from using drugs. Everyone just started attacking me because I said it was wrong to get high during pregnancy, thought it was just common sense. I'm not an expert at all on this... but...

AND, if your heroin usage is ONLY once every 2 weeks and 1-2 bags at a time, you DON'T have a tolerance, if you go two weeks in between uses, that isn't enough to build a physical tolerance. What do you think you should do?

lol, 5 people giving me bad reviews because I'm telling a "mom" that using heroin bi-monthly while PREGNANT is bad? IF YOU DO A FUCKING BAG EVERY TWO WEEKS, YOU'RE NOT PHYSICALLY DEPENDENT, YOU'RE JUST KILLING YOUR BABY. what am I saying that's wrong?
DRUGS WHILE PREGNANT = BAD

poop mayer added 1 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by westie420uk View Post
Congratulations on the news you are pregnant!
Most people have been spot on with the info you have posted, however i would stop taking heroin. From how you describe your usage you should not suffer any withdrawal. Having said that i would still tell your doctor straight away about your drug use as i have no idea if the baby could still suffer.
If you stop doing heroin now i can not see any reasson why you can't go on to have a healthy baby.
I hope things all go to plan for you!

How come this post doesn't get 5 terrible reviews? I basically said the same thing.

Dragging the thread further off topic. You gave dangerous advice and got called out on it. Accept that fact and move on.
Please just stop.
Volatile and unnecessary response.
Discussing reputation received, good or bad, in a thread, is against the rules. Please review the Site Rules & FAQ for more info on this. If you disagree with rep you've received, please report it from your Control Panel.
Where to begin.. this post is off topic, contains rep discussion after you've been told it's not allowed, flaming, extremely dangerous medical advice AGAIN and after multiple members have told you to stop and why what you're doing isn't allowed.
Threads are not the place to discuss reputation - you have given out potentially dangerous advice, were called up on it, and are now refusing to let the matter drop.

Last edited by poop mayer; 03-10-2012 at 17:56. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-10-2012, 20:38
Silver Member

no disrespect poop mayor but im completely aware and ashamed that my drug usage was wrong. which is why i originally posted asking for some support and advice. Im not a COMPLETE idiot, i KNOW what i was doing was wrong and i AM doing everything i can to fix it. and just as i said, i was going to do, i contacted my doctor and you were correct, with my usage being that small, i CAN just quit without any harm to the baby, and I HAVE. its an addiction, and im not saying its going to be easy, but im not wasting anymore time putting unecessary risks on my baby. I have a strong support system and im putting my best foot forward to make the future better. with that being said, i dont disagree with the bad things you have said about me, i AGREE. i am ashamed, embarressed, and have a hard time living with myself right now. but i cant change the past, only work harder for the present and future..
Old 03-10-2012, 20:53
Palladium Member

40 y/o Female from England
source must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medlinesource must mainline Medline
Points: 5,099, Level: 10 Points: 5,099, Level: 10 Points: 5,099, Level: 10
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Quote:
lol, 5 people giving me bad reviews because I'm telling a "mom" that using heroin bi-monthly while PREGNANT is bad? IF YOU DO A FUCKING BAG EVERY TWO WEEKS, YOU'RE NOT PHYSICALLY DEPENDENT, YOU'RE JUST KILLING YOUR BABY. what am I saying that's wrong?
DRUGS WHILE PREGNANT = BAD

How come this post doesn't get 5 terrible reviews? I basically said the same thing.
There really is no need to be so rude and use capitals to get your point across. You are being nasty towards Katgirl09 without good reason to be. Katgirl is well aware what she is doing is wrong which is why she has come here for help and support - which you are not very skilled at to say the least.

You received your neg rep because you naively advised katgirl09 to immediately stop using heroin - without knowing the risks that this would have caused both on mother and child. The amount of katgirl09's heroin intake 'might' be a lot more than she states.

I doubt whether anyone else has seen westie420uk's post yet to give it any necessary reputation - don't be so quick to throw your dummy out of your pram, either accept negative rep, learn from it and move on, or report the negative rep you have received to the mods for them to look into it.

Last edited by source; 03-10-2012 at 20:58.
Old 06-10-2012, 15:38
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

First of all, congratulations!!! This must be so exciting (as well as overwhelming! *lol*) for you!

If you truly do not have a physical dependency, you should be able to just discontinue your use of opioids, under the supervision of your OB/midwife. It's the withdrawal that is the main concern, as the stress of withdrawals can greatly increase your risk of miscarriage.

You are absolutely correct that you cannot change the past, and all you can do is focus on the future. Stay in close contact with your OB/midwife, eat really well & take your prenatals & do whatever you can to reduce your stress levels as much as possible. Try to relax.

Now, while you're working on your physical health with the doc, I would *HIGHLY* recommend therapy to deal with the emotional health issues you clearly must have. Happy healthy people don't do heroin, recreationally or otherwise. You'll need to address these issues (whatever they may be!) & the sooner, the better. Pregnancy is anything but easy, and emotional issues WILL come up, and often our first thought is to medicate these strong feelings away. You definitely need help learning some new coping skills & learning them FAST.

While not in any way condoning knowingly using drugs whilst pregnant, it's not uncommon to find oneself pregnant & realize that you've done drugs during the early days. Plenty of women did drugs during the first trimester without being aware they are pregnant & their babies came out reasonably healthy. Again, while you can't change the past, you can change the path you're on for a better future. Keep up the honest contact with your doctor/midwife, and get yourself into therapy. Also, look into some 1st time mother support groups and such. The larger your support system (mentally & physically), the better off you'll be!

Again, congratulations!

~Kailey

Share this on:

Tags
heroin, heroin and pregnancy, pregnancy

» New Threads
Best possible dosing
Last post by Pagoda
0 Replies, 1 Views
Sick of skin-popping!
Last post by Solinari
2 Replies, 154 Views