Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 23-09-2012, 00:57
Silver Member

Female from United States
Ggeo is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Gabapentin works wonders for withdrawals

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I'll give it a go anyway just in case anyone is suffering from withdrawal.

Gabapentin is a fucking wonder drug for opiate withdrawal. It bugs the shit outta me that this is somewhat unknown. I'm on day 3 of a HEAVY Oxy withdrawal and I feel GREAT. This is my 3rd withdrawal using GABA and I tell you it takes everything away! The sweats the chills the RLS the fatigue the shits EVERYTHING. I rode my horse today. Before I discovered GABA I would have still been crawling to the bathroom, crying, body like lead, DEPRESSION, you know the drill.

I will wean off the GABA in a few weeks. No problems. Of course it does nothing for relapse obviously, however at least I know I'm not gonna feel like DYING again if I stupidly fuck up again.

Hope this can help at least one person avoid the agony.

PS another important note I want to add is that my sex drive is off the charts. I haven't had an orgasm in over a fucking year! Oxy took that from me.
Old 23-09-2012, 01:31
Silver Member

47 y/o Male from United States
makin probably knows what they are talking about.makin probably knows what they are talking about.makin probably knows what they are talking about.makin probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 454, Level: 3 Points: 454, Level: 3 Points: 454, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Gabapentin works wonders for withdrawals

How much gabapentin are you taking?

The max they will prescribe I think is 3600 mg daily.

I have had it to help with alcohol withdrawls and to help with alcohol cravings, it does work.

You posted the same information in two threads, you aren't supposed to do that.

Last edited by makin; 23-09-2012 at 01:40.
Old 23-09-2012, 01:54
Silver Member

Hi, I take quite a bit for withdrawal. In the morning I take 1600mgs and then another 1600 at night. I cannot stress enough how much this changes withdrawal. HOWEVER, I would not tell anyone who hasn't taken GABA before to take that much. I would start at 100mgs and see how you feel. If you need more take it. I have been taking it on and off for my chemo induced neuropathy so my tolerance is high. If you google "Gabapentin for opiate withdrawal" you will find so much info on it. It bugs the hell out of me that this is not more widely used. I do use Clonidine as well if needed, however it really isn't necessary. I also sleep extremely well on GABA.

There are some side effects; increased appetite, some bloating, and kind of a spaced out feeling. But these side effects ARE SO WORTH IT. Honestly, I cannot tell you how amazing I feel on Day 3 of withdrawal from a year of a 100mgs or more of Oxy abuse.

I've never had any withdrawal symptoms from GABA. Ive been on and off it for 2 years as it was given to me for neuropathy I got from chemotherapy. I never used it until I was searching for help with opiate withdrawal.( I got hooked when I was diagnosed with cancer) I stumbled upon many sites saying Gabapentin aka Neurontin helps with withdrawal. I vaguely remembered being prescribed this so I dug through my cabinet and found it. That was three withdrawals ago. Obviously it does not keep me from relapsing, however it makes my life completely manageable during the wd phase. And I went through at least 6 withdrawals before I discovered this and omg I never want that again!!!!

I hope my post can help someone. I got kicked off some other forums for recommending it. Ridiculous

PS I'm so sorry I posted this twice. I realized I was in the wrong forum .
Old 23-09-2012, 02:48
Silver Member

47 y/o Male from United States
makin probably knows what they are talking about.makin probably knows what they are talking about.makin probably knows what they are talking about.makin probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 454, Level: 3 Points: 454, Level: 3 Points: 454, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thats under the max and it's working, are you having any trouble with tolerance.

Some people have reported that a tolerance builds quickly and your required to take more to achieve the same results.

I think it's great that it's working for you and that your kicking the oxy way to go......
Old 23-09-2012, 21:26
Silver Member

Hi, no I never have a problem with tolerance once I reach 3600mgs a day. It is indisputable that this drug helps with opiate withdrawal! I mean I'm on what? Day 5 and I feel almost completely normal. And I'm old, 52 to be exact, and not healthy. The older you are the more difficult wds are I believe.

Also this is my....let's see..I dunno. 10th time trying to get off opiates in the past 3 years? My habit wasn't as long or as huge as some I suppose at around 100-120 odd mgs a day but I was running out two weeks before I should then switching over to Norco til I could fill the Oxy again so yeah, I was taking quite a bit.

Like I said I did many withdrawals without GABA and they were AWFUL, so I KNOW this stuff works. Now it's not going to do anything for PAWS obviously after I wean off. I do have a friend who stays on GABA as a mood stabilizer though. She was also an opiate addict and kicked well over a year ago. She takes a small dose of GABA every day. 300mgs. She swears it keeps her from being depressed and I may go that route as well.

As far as wd from GAbapentin I've never experienced any. I do believe if someone stayed on this high of a dose for a long time they'd have withdrawal, however I've been on and off it for years and never had any.

Good luck !

Ggeo added 107 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Zoe I don't know why but I cannot seem to PM you! I post and hit submit and it just keeps disappearing?! So I'm posting it here. Hope it's ok.

Sorry, I thought I replied to this? Anyway have you ever used GABA before? If not I would start off slowly. Like 100mgs. What are the mgs of your GABA? If they are 200 start with that. Take it at night the first time because it can make you very sleepy. If the wds are still there take more.

Important note! GABA takes like two hours to hit! So if you're still having wd and it's only been an hour wait another hour. It may make you very stoned at first. It did me. For me, since I have a high tolerance I take 1600mgs in the am andanother 1600 at night. I know that sounds like A LOT but it's not. It's actually the amount that I was titrated up to during chemo.

Also note you will need to take a higher dosage rather quickly. Tolerance builds fast. I'm on day....5 I think of a 100mg or more a day Oxy habit this time for a year. Honestly I feel almost 100%. It truly is amazing. Please google Gabapentin for opiate withdrawal and you will find many many stories like mine. Good luck on your journey and please feel free to PM me anytime

Last edited by Ggeo; 23-09-2012 at 21:26. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 23-09-2012, 21:40

24 y/o Female from United States
xxtoxicbeautyxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Just be really careful, because although gabbas do relieve opiate withdrawals, the withdrawals from gabbapentin itself can soemtimes be worse than opiate WD's in my opinion. I had an addiction to prescription painkillers, and went to rehab/detox, was put on suboxone and gabbapentin.. It's been a year and I am finally off the suboxone, and it was SO MUCH easier getting off that then gabbapentin. The gabba WD's were so crippling for me, they were more of a psychological withdrawal then a physical. At least with the suboxone and painkillers, all I had to go through were cold sweats, the shakes etc... but gabba WD's for me made me extremely depressed, I had suicidal thoughts, I had severe anxiety and 2 seizures. Just be safe, its good if they help with your opiate WD's but I'd say don't get dependant on them like I did, trust me!!!
Old 24-09-2012, 05:08
Titanium Member

40 y/o Male from United States
flowertongue666 is on the way upflowertongue666 is on the way upflowertongue666 is on the way up
Points: 337, Level: 2 Points: 337, Level: 2 Points: 337, Level: 2
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Just to help people who would like help. Please specify if you are referring to "Gabapentin" or "GABA" (gamma-Aminobutyric acid). They are not the same thing, and dosage information is different for each (though high dosages of gabapentin can be tolerated- it could be an issue if taking another gaba binding chem- i.e. benzodiazepines, alcohol, ghb, baclofen, barbiturates...).

peace!
Old 24-09-2012, 10:43
Titanium Member

Male from Earth
textosteron really adds to the discussion.textosteron really adds to the discussion.textosteron really adds to the discussion.textosteron really adds to the discussion.textosteron really adds to the discussion.textosteron really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,061, Level: 5 Points: 1,061, Level: 5 Points: 1,061, Level: 5
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtoxicbeautyxx View Post
The gabba WD's were so crippling for me, they were more of a psychological withdrawal then a physical. At least with the suboxone and painkillers, all I had to go through were cold sweats, the shakes etc... but gabba WD's for me made me extremely depressed, I had suicidal thoughts, I had severe anxiety and 2 seizures. Just be safe, its good if they help with your opiate WD's but I'd say don't get dependant on them like I did, trust me!!!
I know what you're saying all too well. Only difference is that i always use gabapentin's "evil big brother", pregabalin (Lyrica). True, it was a life saver during my past few withdrawals, but in the end i only traded one addiction for another. When i stopped pregabalin, wow, I SO WISHED THAT I WAS IN OPIATE WITHDRAWAL! I did use huge amounts of it, i even reached more than 3 grams on one day (keep in mind that it's much stronger than gabapentin, maximum prescribed dose is 600 mg/day, so that's 5 x over it), tolerance builds up insanely fast. The emptiness i experienced when i stopped is indescribable! Nothing in the world could put me up on my feet, i never, ever in my life had suicidal thoughts until then. No wait a sec...hah, there WAS something that could pull me outta that hole, well off course, opiates! So, i fell into the damn bloody magic circle off switching from one shit to another.
I know the situation ain't exactly the same and that there are huge differences between gabapentin and pregabalin, i tried gabapentin once when i used all of my pregabalin to ease the withdrawals and it did help a bit when i took 4, 5, 6 grams of it but i still felt a bit shitty, pregabalin is much stronger but the substances are quite similar and so are their effects. Nevertheless, i totally believe you when you say how shitty you felt when you stopped.
Point is, use gabapentin with caution ppl, it doesn't come without a price, nothing does, gotta pay for the ride one way or the other.
I think easing the withdrawals with pregabalin was the biggest mistake i ever made, all the suffering in opiate withdrawals has it's purpose, the tears, the regretfulness, this all has it's purpose, and then, after a couple of days of misery, you're feeling better and better with each day and the difference between today and yesterday means a world to you. Using pregabalin takes all that away from you and in the end you learned nothing and you still have to pay the piper...fuck that...

Last edited by textosteron; 24-09-2012 at 14:08.
Old 24-09-2012, 14:42
Silver Member

46 y/o Male from Canada
OttawaWriter is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I'm really surprised because my experience with both gabapentin and pregabalin was the exact opposite. I was prescribed first one and then the other by doctors at a pain clinic who decided to wean me off oxycodone and fentanyl. They reduced my patch from 75 ug to 50 ug and cut my oxy dose by about 30%. The shortfall was supposed to be made up by pregabalin. In short, it was hell. I experienced wicked side effects from both pregabalin and gabapentin: headaches, nausea, light-headedness etc. But the absolute worst was the fact that it felt as though the pregabalin and gaba both acted as opiate blockers. A couple of hours after taking either one I'd wake up feeling as though I were in full-blown withdrawal. The only way to get rid of the feeling was to apply a brand new patch - in some cases the patch I was removing had been on for less than a day. Needless to say this is a great way to burn through a month's prescription in about 2 weeks! After a week or so on both I just quit taking them and stuck with the oxy and fentanyl.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that they're working so well for you; like I said though, considering what a radically different experience I had I'm surprised to say the least.
Old 24-09-2012, 20:28
Silver Member

Hmm.. I'm sorry to hear what everyone here went through. Maybe I didn't make myself clear on how long I use it. I only use it for a max of about four weeks. I do not use 3600 mgs this whole time! I have already, on Day 6 of opiate withdrawal started to drop my Gabapentin intake to 2400. I feel no ill effects from this. In a couple of days I will drop to 1600 etc etc.

I have been on and off Gabapentin for the past ...oh..2-1/2 years for neuropathy caused by chemotherapy. I found it never really helped so the most I stayed on was for six weeks at a time. I have never felt anything at all going off it. Nothing. Nada. This is the third time I have used in for withdrawing from opiates. The other two times I think once I used it for six weeks and the other about four. I never once felt any withdrawals when I quit. This time I don't think I will go four weeks on it considering how I feel.

PS- for me I akin using Gabapentin to Suboxone. Why would Subs be better? From what I've seen people can have a difficult time withdrawing from Subs. Am I wrong? And I guess I just don't get using an opiate type substance to come off opiates? I do believe Subs can work wonders if used ONLY FOR A FEW WEEKS AT MOST at a low induction, however so many Drs wanted to start me on ridiculously high doses. I just knew they were wrong. I was scared of getting addicted to them.

Today I could fill my script for Oxycodone. 120 totally free Oxys. I have absolutely no desire for them. And it's only been around 6 days off I think? To me this is nothing short of a miracle. For me personally the Gabapentin also takes my desire for opiates away. And the thing is I have a damn good excuse to use as my cancer has returned AGAIN. In the past 2-1/2 years I've gone through 11 months of chemo and then a few months later a 6 month round of radiation. But because of the cancer I became an opiate addict. And i think we all know that when you abuse opiates they stop working, so I MUST cease using them until and IF I become terminal and the pain becomes unbearable.

So, for me personally, it has been a godsend. I know not to use this drug long term. I was just hoping to help someone who might be suffering from opiate withdrawal. For me it's a hell I just can't seem to endure.

As far as the word GABA goes, I'm sorry, I know they are different drugs. It's just when I try to shorten Gabapentin my stupid iPad makes it in caps. Again, my apologies.

Ggeo added 19 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

PS for me, I akin using Gabapentin to Suboxone. Why are Subs better? I don't understand using an opiate type substance to get off opiates. However, I do believe Subs CAN work wonders if used correctly, that is induction at a very low amount and you only stay on them for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately my experience was my Dr wanted to induct at what I felt was WAY TOO HIGH an amount and keep me on it far longer than I thought necessary. And then there's the fact that I had to be on full blown withdrawals to start. No thanks. I want off OPIATES. Thats my two cents for whatever it's worth. Hope I don't get flamed! What I do promise to do however is continue to post my experience here coming off the Gabapentin. I will be totally honest and let everyone know if I have any withdrawal problems from it.

Last edited by Ggeo; 24-09-2012 at 20:28. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
gabapentin, neurontin, opiates, oxycodone