Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > General Addiction discussion
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

General Addiction discussion General Addiction discussion

Old 08-09-2012, 09:07
Titanium Member

24 y/o Male from USA - Arkansas
PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.
Points: 4,492, Level: 9 Points: 4,492, Level: 9 Points: 4,492, Level: 9
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
What was the hardest substance for you to quit? Easiest?

What was the hardest drug for you to quit and how did you do it?

What was the easiest drug for you to quit?

I understand you may still be struggling to quit a drug...speak on it and let's see if anyone else can help.

I would also like to add...if your answer is nicotine could you specify wether you smoked or dipped or whatever. Seems that smoking is more addictive because of it being a social thing and an actual act of smoking.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Lets hope we get some strait answers on these interesting questions.
This became a really fascinating thread. Thanks!

Last edited by PillMan; 11-10-2012 at 08:55. Reason: Add to the question
Old 08-09-2012, 11:41

Female from Germany
crazyelfe is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: What was the hardest substance for you to quit? Easiest?

The hardest drug for my shadow person to quit was and is nicotine. When she quits she's actually fine but 14hours later her eyes start to cry actual waterfalls and this has only ever stopped when she lit a cigarette. So she didn't really quit.

The easiest drug to quit was speed, she had a psychosis while having to present her artwork to her professors while hearing people screaming in her head. So she sold the bit that she still had and those few days of being weak and unmotivated were survivable, she just slept it off.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:08
Silver Member

Male from Earth
reef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way up
Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%

None. But the most annoying symptoms to me where benzo withdrawals.
Old 08-09-2012, 20:00
Titanium Member

PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.

That's crazy to go through that in the middle of a speech. The hardest for me was opiates.

The easiest was actually either nicotine or weed.
Old 08-09-2012, 21:58
Titanium Member

31 y/o Female from United States
MoonLitCrystal is on the way upMoonLitCrystal is on the way upMoonLitCrystal is on the way upMoonLitCrystal is on the way up
Points: 483, Level: 3 Points: 483, Level: 3 Points: 483, Level: 3

I'll tell my pet star's story, as it illustrates which drugs she has the most trouble with.

Obviously the hardest thing for my pet star to quit is opiates, as she is still dabbling in them. She started on them because of legitimate pain, and things spiraled from there. December 2010 she got fired from her job and had lost interest in everything & everyone. The star's spouse couldn't take it anymore and left her; he headed out of state for the holidays. Her best friend was on leave from the Army & staged an intervention. First she tried living with her parents and tapering down. That fell apart quickly, as did trying to go cold turkey on her own. (She has other medical issues that made WD very dangerous.) She wound up spending Christmas in a 7 day detox center. She got Suboxone and aside from a few days of hell after it wore off, she felt really good.

When PAWS hit her two weeks later she freaked out (as nobody had taught her about them) and 18 days after coming out of detox, she got high again. The star did opiates on & off until May of 2011, when she met a guy who smoked crack. He would get opiates every once in a blue moon, and the star mostly used them to ease the come down off of crack.

The summer of 2011 was a huge blur. The star lived, ate, and breathed crack cocaine. She pawned all of her shit and did not pay a single bill. Every cent she had was devoted to getting high. She stopped going to her job because it interfered with her crack smoking sessions. Crack grabbed ahold of her and did not want to let her go.

At the end of August 2011 the star said enough was enough, and went away to a 28 day rehab. From there she moved into a halfway house. While in the halfway house she discovered she had feelings & fell in love with her current hubby (who had been just a friend for about a year). They moved into an apartment together in December 2011, got married in May 2012, and are now living happily ever after together.

Thing is, hubby is a junkie too. He has come a long way, and no longer shoots up or needs opiates on a daily basis. However, the star and hubby like to get fucked up from time to time. They have done both opiates and crack together. He stopped smoking crack when she went to rehab, and neither of them have touched it since. However, it seems that every other week or so, they are getting opiates. They try to use sparingly, but you know how it goes. They get bored, there's nothing to do, "Oh what the hell, let's go visit so-and-so and see if he's good. We'll only get a little."

Conclusion: In the scheme of things, crack was not very difficult to get off of. It sucked for the first few days, but after the initial comedown/depression is over, it's been fairly easy to remind herself of the consequences of smoking crack & steer clear. (The star knows if she takes one hit, she will not stop until all her money is gone and until she's tried every trick in the book to obtain money/crack.)

Opiates, however, have proved to be more difficult. The star doesn't know if it's because she knows she can start & stop (unlike with crack) or what. You would think the star would be more anxious to start opiates again, as they are physically addictive and she knows how horrible WDs feel.

The fact that hubby like to do dope does not change anything, because hubby also likes to smoke crack. He can control himself on crack, so it would be nothing for him to get a rock every now & then, enjoy it, and move on. He knows that the star has no control, and that is why he will not disrespect her by smoking it. Since the star can "control" herself on opiates, hubby is willing to get them & indulge with her.

The star knows very well that she needs to be extremely careful with the opiates. If she is not, she will develop a physical dependency all over again and before you know it she will have violated probation. She is backing up 2 years and does not want to go to jail.

Thank you for sharing such a personal and insightful story. There is a lot in here that I'm sure many can relate with, and it's very well articulated to boot.
Old 08-09-2012, 23:57
Titanium Member

That's an interesting story. Thanks for sharing. I went through a crack phase to at one point in time. It was definitely easier to get off of than opiates...to me anyway.

Crack just doesn't last long enough for the buy...on the other hand opiates can last a few hours. Seems like a better deal. But for every good thing about it is a bad thing waiting.
Old 17-09-2012, 07:26
Titanium Member

I would like to take back my response on saying nicotine is the easiest for me to quit. I take it back because as easy as it may be for me to quit...it's that easy for me to start back up.

Real easy when everyone around you smokes and offers you cigarettes all day.
Old 17-09-2012, 21:01
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from France
Maxfrombx is on the way upMaxfrombx is on the way upMaxfrombx is on the way upMaxfrombx is on the way up
Points: 600, Level: 3 Points: 600, Level: 3 Points: 600, Level: 3

Hardest one to quit was undoubtly GBL: full-blown delirium twice, numerous relapses despite the horrible withdrawal.

Easiest wad barbiturates, oddly. Even after several months of daily consumption. Easier than benzos. YMMV
Old 17-09-2012, 21:19

34 y/o Male from United States
GraciousMrMiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1

Quit PCP after 8 years when introduced to Crack Cocaine. The crack is easy to control as long as one never opens up the starting gate. The crack usage came to complete stop when PCP was accepted once again! In all PCP was the toxic relationship can't live with can't live without. Don't crave the wet any more but still want to party with coke
Old 18-09-2012, 22:25
Titanium Member

I have never tried pcp but if it's harder to get off of than crack than maybe I dont need to try it lol.

Do y'all think it's harder to quit a drug with physical dependants as well as mental?
Old 18-09-2012, 23:38
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%

The easiest drug that I was addicted on to quit was a tie between methamphetamine and nicotine. Once I had decided to quit and REALLY wanted to quit, I stopped and never even had "nicotine fits". The second time around, (long story about why I started up again) however, I have not wanted to really quit. It seems that once I relived that luxury/curse of smoking whenever I get really upset or stressed seemed to nice.....maybe. The methamphetamine was basically the same, once I REALLY wanted to quit, I did. I remember sleeping a pretty decent amount of time, but after that I didn't have withdrawals. With both once I quit I did not have cravings or urges strong enough to cause me to relapse. When I was addicted to nicotine it was a love hate relationship. At one time I could have very well made it to the Olympics in swimming, and I went the other way where I had to pause walking up stairs. When I was addicted to methamphetamine it was aa love love relationship. Although it caused problems and had me living as I did not really want to, it was the most euphoric high I have ever felt (smoking). It was because of a personal incident that I decided to quit and haven't looked back since. I guess though that I started smoking again, meth was the easiest to quit because I to this day have not relapsed or wanted to.

The easiest take it or leave it drug was mushrooms followed by cocaine. Mushrooms made me feel good, and the one time I tripped, I liked it but it got a little to intense (although that stopped as soon as I left the dark room and went outside). I would not want to constantly or even frequently take mushrooms as obvious reasons (how it works with the body and mind) and because it's a fun "every now and then" drug. Cocaine did very very little for me and it was always a take it or leave it drug with me, nothing special for me.

The most difficult drug I was addicted to for me to quit was marijuana. Although I love opiates (hydrocodone specifically) at one time when I started having panic attacks after taking hydrocodone, I made myself quit because I couldn't handle the want to take it and then the agony of freaking out (panic attack). With marijuana though, I tried and tried and tried to do it and hope I wouldn't freak out. I always freaked out, but yet it took a LONG time for me to finally give it up. I had the analogy that meth was a cruel and deceiving mistress that gave me the most pleasure but that marijuana was like the friend who never let me down. I would smoke or eat marijuana even when I KNEW it was going to end bad.
Old 18-09-2012, 23:38
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United States
theplan is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

alcohol was the hardest- I was up to an average of .75l/day - detoxed using benzos from a doctor three times, once on my own at home over 6 days (was slightly easier than I thought it would be, but it lasted about a week)

Finally got fired for not getting simple projects in on time, went to 30 day treatment, left it behind

as for easy - I can give up cigarettes for periods of months or years whenever I feel like it, not sure why
Old 19-09-2012, 06:24
Titanium Member

Trdofbeingtrd...I applaud you. It's crazy to think you could give up nicotine an meth that easily. It's sad cuz I was a damn good swimmer at one point in life...winning state matches and all of that. Now I couldn't beat a damn kid at it. I was heading places with it but killed it.

Theplan...did you ever give up alcohol for good? I have an uncle addicted to liquor so I know how hard it can be. Good luck with it all.
Old 20-09-2012, 01:48

34 y/o Male from United States
GraciousMrMiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1

AFOAF would like to follow up by saying crack is a beast in the realm of addiction and has created massive disstruction to many many families It is extremely difficult to quit and is literally a one hit addiction. Not to diminish the beast that is crack AFOAF prefers PCP and did develop quite the relationship. PCP seems to scared the living nightmare out of some and make others fall in love. This love affair lasted 8yrs and its time to be the bigger man and stand tall with spaceboots on!
Old 20-09-2012, 01:53
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United States
theplan is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Pillman - as long as I don't drink, I'll celebrate one year on October 7th. My life is a lot better than it used to be. Actually, that's not even accurate because when I went in for treatment, my life wasn't really much of a life anymore.

If I ever think about drinking, which happens from time to time, it's because my addiction is chatting me up about how I would love to be able to drink socially again, in extreme moderation, especially red wine and sake. But I'm a pretty firm believer in the idea that addicts, after a period of abstinence, tend to begin their relapse right where they left off and go downhill from there. So I don't have any plans to experiment with any sips of champagne,

To try to stay on topic, my point is that that "explanation" doesn't mix well with some alcoholics. What happens to them is that they stay sober for a while, and then, having fully internalized this believe in their disease and their total lack of ability to control their own behavior, they actually end up using IT as a rationalization to drink (it's not my fault, I can't control it - or "now that I've already had this one drink, I might as well get drunk").

What I'm really saying is that, in spite of physical and mental addiction, quitting a substance is easier when you retain (or gain) the belief that YOU are in control of whether or not you keep using it. Before I went to treatment, I failed at quitting on several occasions, largely because I had come to view alcohol as something that had control over me.

I had a very hard road out of active alcohol abuse, I'm sure more of it will end up on this site over time.

Keep moving ahead one day at a time, and eventually you'll look back and have a while string of those 24hrs strung together :) Congrats and keep doing what you're doing!
Old 20-09-2012, 09:23
Titanium Member

Theplan...wow good job. You are not from from that one year either. Keep up the good work. You got this. With the idea you have going you should be able to beat it for good. Glad to hear you have made it this far. Some people get to the point where they can't quit drinking at all or it will kill them.

I know nobody wants to reach that level and have to drink the hospitals prescribed beer. That shit is supposedly nasty. So good job.

I am still up and down with opiates/opioids as I have been on a binge this past week... I don't plan on going back into addiction but...who really plans it?

Thanks for all these interesting posts DF users.
Old 01-10-2012, 20:04

Female from United States
Tramgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

The hardest drug for me to quit is tramadol, it works like an opiate but not as strong. What I like about it is the bit of euphoria along with the energy and mood enhancing effects it offers. I have also have tried oxy, vicodin, Norco and methadone which are all also nice but after the euphoria of oxy wears off I'm real tired and that sucks. Lately though my tram has not behaved the same for me, there is a lack of that nervous system energetic euphoria I would usually get. I have been on low dose for over a year so may be my dose needs to be higher or I hope it did not alter my chemistry or brain so that the Tram just is not the same for me anymore, I wish I knew what it could be.
Old 01-10-2012, 20:12
Titanium Member

I had a problem quitting tramadol. I went from using about 75 milligrams to over 400 within months. I didn't even quit on my own. My supply ended and forced me to quit. So yea it sucked quitting tramadol all the way. I know I would go back to it if I had my script.
Old 01-10-2012, 20:37
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from Ireland
tdv123 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 212, Level: 2 Points: 212, Level: 2 Points: 212, Level: 2
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

Diphenhydramine.

Which is a strange one as Swim has used Xanax, Valium, Dalmane, Ambien, Klonopin, Codeine & Nitarezpam for recreational use on a high number of occasions & all at pretty high doses. Swim never found himself addicted to any of these substances or strong cravings for these at any time in his life.

I think what might be key for Swim as he said he used the Benzo's & the Opiate for recreational use. Diphenhydramine however is something Swim did not abuse & never went over the 250mg dose. Swim now can't sleep at night unless he uses DPH.
Old 01-10-2012, 21:36
Silver Member

Male from Canada
usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%

Yeah, drugs with physical symptoms are much harder, ciggerettes and coffee are hard to quit. I've gone back to smoking many times since I've quit, and coffee is a hard habit to stop, dare I say impossible. Coffee is too normal to quit, so it makes it very difficult, plus everytime I try to stop to lethargy is almost unbearble, that's what drives me back to it. Plus people don't treat it like a drug, so it's easy to start drinking coffee again and not even notice yourself starting the habit again.

Ritalin is a an easy drug to quit for me, the side effects make it so simple because being off of it is almost like a relief sometimes, even though all the benefits it provides. I don't think I'd have a problem if my doc cut off my prescription.

Weed is a little different, I've always stuggled to describle my relationship with it. I definitly use it a lot, it's my main drug of choice. It's such a hard drug to stop for me because I like it so much. Plus the fact that I've been labeled a pot head by those I know makes it difficult. Friends and famiily exspect me to be smoking pot, so when I don't it's like it's a big deal and it's all weird like im some recovering addict. So anyways, stopping my use has been difficult, not like I desire to, but when I cut down or stop for exams, it's hard to say no to friends offering me weed, I almost have to stop hanging out with my friends and just chill at home. It's easy to stop when I'm on vacation, because I usually drink with my family and the relaxing environment makes it easy and simple.

Ciggerettes has to be the hardest of all, like I said, ritalin being the easiet for me. I am determined to stop smoking forever and I actually don't like it, but I go back to it still, it's that difficult, the cravings are pretty intense sometimes, it's almost mind boggling when Im craving a smoke.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:35
Silver Member

Male from United States
AmsuJackal is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 192, Level: 2 Points: 192, Level: 2 Points: 192, Level: 2
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

for me the hardest drug has been nicotine. been smoking since 7th grade, before puberty set in. funny enough, i didnt start *needing* nicotine for years before it happened. i smoked for about 11 years, and when i quit for the first few nights i always get seizures. sometimes pretty bad ones. a few months ago i quit and kicked my leg so hard in my seizure i tore my acl. shit still hurts. was clean for a few months, started smoking again. 4 months later quit and for 2 months i was off smoking (felt fucking fantastic, and my wallet was fatter too). then traumatic stress happened in my life and back to cigs i went.

Next hardest was Heroin. i used 2 days on 1 day off for several months, always IV. the physical withdrawal wasnt bad, because of the 1 day off on the 3rd day, but man psychological withdrawal and PAWS were horrid. id be waking up in the middle of the night, from a dream of shooting up, right as i registered the needle and pushed the plunger id wake up. cold sweats, bed soaked from it. id be shaking and twitching and going through the motions of shooting up with an imaginary needle. sometimes id look at the last syringe i used and it would start talking to me and crying. once that wore off enough after some kratom therapy, ive been able to make poppy seed tea and take pills on occasion without relapse. though i did relapse on H one other time for a month and a half, but quit that easier than the first time. this was before poppy tea and pills came about though. never had a problem with binging and quitting stims and coke though.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:40
Titanium Member

All of these posts have been quite interesting. Thank you all for sharing your stories. I hope to see many more soon.

Weed was kind of hard for me to quit as well probably only because everyone does it. So it's always around and always being passed to you. I got to the point where I just had to tell people "I got to take drug tests so I can't"
Old 02-10-2012, 05:57

Male from United States
teaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1

Meth, its a love hate thing. I went from meth to smack to meth now im feelin the smack.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:13
Titanium Member

Teaker could you go in to more detail? I'm interested in hearing your story.
Old 02-10-2012, 15:55
Palladium Member

38 y/o Female from United Kingdom
una_cavaletta really adds to the discussion.una_cavaletta really adds to the discussion.una_cavaletta really adds to the discussion.una_cavaletta really adds to the discussion.una_cavaletta really adds to the discussion.una_cavaletta really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,714, Level: 6 Points: 1,714, Level: 6 Points: 1,714, Level: 6
Activity: 3.9% Activity: 3.9% Activity: 3.9%

It really upsets me to say this, but anti-depressants. When I was a child I was diagnosed bipolar and given mood stabiliers but I was only on them for a year or maybe two. Started the paxil when I was about 15, moved onto various others and now on effexor.

The last time I tapered of anti-d's I was not prepared for the brain zaps, nausea and vertigo. But that was nothing compared to the rage I felt. Because I wasn't in therapy and spent so much time trying to dull negative emotions instead of facing them, I guess all the anger that was quelled for so long burst out like a weedier Bruce Banner.

Share this on:

Tags
abuse, addict, addiction, addicts, alcohol, amphetamin, amphetamine, cigarettes, cocaine, crack, crank, dextromethorphan, dxm, ecstacy, heroin, hydrocodone, lsd, marijuana, meth, methampetamine, morphine, narcotic, nicotine, opiate, opiates, opioid, opioids, oxycodone, pcp, pharmaceutical, presciption heroin, sex addiction