Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 30-08-2012, 07:58

28 y/o Female from United States
kaeley.jades.mommy is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Having trouble with after effects of detox from 300mg daily METHADONE for 3 years

Hello all,

I'm new to this site, i've been going through some health issues and complications mentally after a long history of opiate abuse. For ten years, i abused any opiate pills, never heroin, just started with vicodin and went to Oxycontin every day all day. Finally i went to my behaviroal health doctor and asked for help. I live in arizona and have state medicaid and there arent many options, so because i have chronic back issues, restless leg syndrome, and a sciatic nerve problem, the dr. reccommended i start methadone maintenance. Long story short i went from being on 40mg once daily, and within a year was up to 275mgs daily of methadone. i stayed on that dose for about 2 years, i gained 90 pounds, and became a zombie. Everytime i went to the methadone doctor he would tell me i did not need to decrease nor should i stop my treatment. so after a year of being told i cannot go down, on my dose, i decided to go to in house detox and quit cold turkey.
So to my question.
I have been clean from all opiates since October 17th,2011. Since, i have had to have my appendix out, my gallbladder out, have had strep throat at least once a month, and a very low immune system. I've also been very emotional, up and down, sad, stressed, and in severe pain everyday. the pain i can tolerate. But the mental and immune system issues are intolerable. i've been to every doctor possible, im currently on serequel for bipolar-depression, and vistiril. I cannot take antidepressants, for some reason they do the opposite to me. so my question is, if ANYONE CAN HELP, how long are these side effects on my health and mental state going to last? and i know it varies person to person but im starting to lose hope in my recovery. Im a mess and have tried everything i can think of to help with the insomnia, loss of appetite, and mood swings, but im still at the same place. i go to intensive outpatient recovery and also see my psychiatrist every month. but both cannot give me an answer, or solution. should i be taking vitamins, should i be doing something lifestyle wise, i just am at a loss. they told me that the effects of the detox would last up to six months, yet i still feel as crappy as i did a month after i detoxed, almost 11 months later. is this normal and does anyone have any advise? i would really appreciate it, because physically and mentally im breaking, my body cant take the pain and my mind cant take the emotions, even with all the help.
Old 01-09-2012, 18:46
Titanium Member

35 y/o Male from Earth
&rew is on the way up&rew is on the way up&rew is on the way up
Re: Having trouble with after effects of detox from 300mg daily METHADONE for 3 years

Mind i'll reply? Just from SWIM's experience. 300 a day as a supportive dose are pretty high. That's sounds like someone could take 1g just to get high of the next 24 hours...

What you describing are normal methadone PAWS, and yes, it lasts for pretty long time. You are on 11th month, that's long, really long. To be honest, your remission are longest one i ever heard. Longest for people who is out of prison. Yes, it takes some time, usual a year or 1,5. So your almost done. SWIM's longest try was 9 months then something changed in his mind, he found wrong in right, a huge wrong and returned back to 'done.

Reminding all this PAWS... sleepless nights, 4:47 on clock, at 07:00 buzzer will tell me that it is time go for work, but SWIM still hasn't a minute of sleep. And it makes SWIM angry and he gets less and less chances at least to black out for a couple of hours before morning. And then work... half sleeping all day... can't do anything... SWIM's credit of trust getting lower and lower on work. Then home and another sleepless night... hasn't tired during the day 'cos he's not really worked... BDs? Gave it a try... Nope... just laying in bed, still can't sleep, but this time it is sooo hard to move, walking to a bathroom at night just impossible 'cos of weakness after BDs. Antidepressants? Nope... MAOI -- no effect. Tricyclic? Making SWIM weak and even more sleepy but still no sleep. All this goes along with deep depression... And those who just don't have a reason to break with 'done giving up at 6-9'th month. Even those who abused 'done, who lived "a week high -- a week of WDs" life realizes that what is going now is a way worse that their previous life. At least in past there was short times of reliefs. Now it goes like a one long day or night or something between it. Just fell out of life and looking how unfolding another guy's life. And it goes for months... And main question "WHAT FOR?".

Back to you. You are gone far, if you have a answer to a "for what", and looks like you have, keep on going, i'm sure, you'll get better in a month or two. Try lyrica 75mg for a short relief. But don't abuse it. Amd i'm sure 80% of problem is in your depression, which is looks out each string of your post. That's just a chemistry, biochemistry of body and body will repair itself soon or later.

Bah, too tired to type, sorry. Visit a doctor, normal doctor, who could understand your problem.
Too tired even to reread text and fix typos, take it as an author's style.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:56

Male from United States
rskinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
Re: Having trouble with after effects of detox from 300mg daily METHADONE for 3 years

Swim used to take the same ammount daily. 300mg. No clinic, no maintenance, jjust buying off the street. Methadone is total hell on it and coming off of it according to swim. 300mg would no longer even get swim high. At all. Just make swim feel somewhat normal. No cold sweats, restless muscles that ached to move yet ached to keep still. No seizures, no flu like symptoms. Just normal. Swim was also smoking fentanyl gel up to 3 100mcg patches per day to get high. Swim had to go serve time in prison to get off of it. Swim spent 3 weeks in observation being given high doses of benzos to easy the symptoms of detox especially the seizures swim was having that related to nothing other than with draw. After being taken off the benzo swim must have spent a month sleeping no more than 10 min out of 24 hours. Skin crawling, little worms coming up from the bone thru the flesh. Bones aching. Extreme depression and paranoia. Many other symptoms. Slowly they all faded away. Swim was lucky and had only been dosing so heavily for about a year. 8 months into swims stay in prison swim realized all the symptoms had finally gone. Never did swim experience the need to have organs removed tho. Swim has known for quite some time the reason for the extended detox is half life. A dose of methadone, on normal maintenance has a 48 hour(about) half life. Which means the effects by and large last 2 days. Methadone has such a half life is that it builds up in your system. It does this by storing itself away in your bones. Subsequently it is slowly released. If your not adding more methadone to the mix, what's in your bones begins to trickle out. Its minute, your immune to what's being released due to tolerance. But swim swears he could feel the shit coming out of his bones, thru his muscles, and out of his skin. Anyway although your immune to the doses your bones release, the drugs are still present. Your still withdrawing because you will withdraw to the point and beyond all of that shit being completely out of your body. Swim says the irony is that swim became stuck on methadone after becoming addicted to opiates, because this half life gave swim less of a chance of experiencing with draw. But when it must end, it more than makes up for all the withdraw it saved you.
Old 02-10-2012, 21:08

27 y/o Female from Canada
michelle_hates_methadone is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

I'm.on day 13 of quitting 60 mg of methadone cold turkey. The.physical withdrawal symptoms are almost gone. Still having some muscle spasms and weakness but its the emotional part that is beginning to be unbearable. I feel so sad. Just heavyness in my chest and I have no interest in anything. I don't know how to pass the time. I can't bring myself to do much of anything. I just want to be happy and clean. I'm taking clonodine and ativan to sleep at night. Is there light at the end of the tunnel? Or has methadone screwed my brains ability to be happy? Help anyone who has gone through this. I don't want to go back to using but I'd rather be dead then feel this way.
Old 12-10-2012, 17:49

Female from United States
snow32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you quit ct from methadone? Ouch, yes, it could take months to feel better if you really quit ct at 300mgs of methadone. Omg that is insane.
Old 16-10-2012, 05:20

Yes, i did an in house detox, they gave me subutex for 4 days and then i had to nothing...... so ya cold turkey.. tomorrow it will be a year since i went to detox, and i still just feel like crap sometimes..
Old 22-10-2012, 06:20

Female from United States
snow32 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, im withdrawal off of 10mgs of methadone,,,,i feel like i had the flu all week, just this evening started feeling a lil better. I give you props. I started at 80mgs for three months, then spent 8 months titrating down 3mgs a week to 10, then i tookmy saturday dose, woke up the nextmorning and just threw out my sunday dose. That was 8 days ago and i feel bad. But there is no turning back now, I have to just continue on.
Old 30-10-2012, 19:38

Yess!!!! Continue on! Dont turn around now, i hate to say it but u may feel bad for at least a month or two, no appetite no sleepp maybe, all the normal withdrawals, im over a year now and if i dont take my subutex half a day i go thru horrible methadone withdrawls, ive been off it for so long and i still ppee dirty for methadone, anyways, methadone is by far the worst detox ive ever went thru, and i never wanna be there aggain, ever, im still loosing weight every day since the detox, and i have horrible days, but not having to drag my self to the clinic every day and be a zombie, is amazing. Goodluck! !!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 22:45
Mercury Member

34 y/o Male from Earth
xx79xx needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 7.9% Activity: 7.9% Activity: 7.9%

i find that Clonazepams help me when i was weening off...And when i felt "sick" i would drink NyQuil or whatever to put me to sleep...As long as im sleeping im not feeling any pain...
Be well
Old 12-02-2013, 23:27
Silver Member

Male from United States
coolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

when on such a high dose for such a long time even with a fairly slow taper the acute withdrawal would be very long lasting and strong, a girl i know was on methadone for 10 years and took 225 daily, she went to prison and 6 months later she told me she was still withdrawing, recently after she died of cancer so i cant say how long it lasted.

when you use opiates for long periods of time it changes the way your brain works, your serotonin system in your brain is dependent on opiates to tell it to release and produce endorphins. the longer you have been opiated the longer it will take for your brain chemistry to heal itself and produce these chemicals without opiates. it will get better as time goes on, a few suggestions i have would be to exercise a lot, doesn't matter if its cardio, weight lifting, rock climbing, ect. also i would be sure to a healthy died, vegetables and fruits contain many vitamins that are essential for your body and minds health.

this doctor was pretty irresponsible in my opinion, for pain management when 40 mg is not reducing pain i'd think a bump of 5 to 10 mgs a time and i wouldn't think that would be necessary more than once a month at most, most likely even longer. upping your dose from 40 to 275 in a single year is ridiculous and in my opinion borderline malpractice. i also dont understand why he wouldn't decrease your dosage, if you dont want or need that much methadone what would be the issue especially since slight dosage adjustment cant help with side effects like sweating. i would strongly suggest you write a complaint, most if not all states in the US have a grievance filing system for methadone (usually for mmt clinic patients but doctors still need the same special license to prescribe methadone) or look into speaking with someone from the state or dea about his guy, seriously tapering someone to that amount in a year is insane and refusing to decrease dosage or preform a medically supervised withdrawal if you request it. he sounds like a bad apple and reporting him could save others from becoming dependent on a huge amount of methadone.

i know it sucks because your ready to be done with methadone and move on with your life, it can be frustrating im going through it right now, i tapered from 60 mg and got off about 4 or 5 months ago. im still struggling with depression, lethargy, and it sucks because im ready to finally start getting my life on track but when im always tired and feeling hopeless it's hard to have the drive to go out and do things like finding a new job.

all you can do is enjoy life as much as you can and be proud of yourself that you got of oxycodone and methadone, both take a lot of strength and determination to do.

good for you, keep on going it will keep getting better the longer you go.

Last edited by coolhandluke; 12-02-2013 at 23:33.
Old 04-03-2013, 19:07
Mercury Member

34 y/o Male from Earth
xx79xx needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 7.9% Activity: 7.9% Activity: 7.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post
when on such a high dose for such a long time even with a fairly slow taper the acute withdrawal would be very long lasting and strong, a girl i know was on methadone for 10 years and took 225 daily, she went to prison and 6 months later she told me she was still withdrawing, recently after she died of cancer so i cant say how long it lasted.

when you use opiates for long periods of time it changes the way your brain works, your serotonin system in your brain is dependent on opiates to tell it to release and produce endorphins. the longer you have been opiated the longer it will take for your brain chemistry to heal itself and produce these chemicals without opiates. it will get better as time goes on, a few suggestions i have would be to exercise a lot, doesn't matter if its cardio, weight lifting, rock climbing, ect. also i would be sure to a healthy died, vegetables and fruits contain many vitamins that are essential for your body and minds health.

this doctor was pretty irresponsible in my opinion, for pain management when 40 mg is not reducing pain i'd think a bump of 5 to 10 mgs a time and i wouldn't think that would be necessary more than once a month at most, most likely even longer. upping your dose from 40 to 275 in a single year is ridiculous and in my opinion borderline malpractice. i also dont understand why he wouldn't decrease your dosage, if you dont want or need that much methadone what would be the issue especially since slight dosage adjustment cant help with side effects like sweating. i would strongly suggest you write a complaint, most if not all states in the US have a grievance filing system for methadone (usually for mmt clinic patients but doctors still need the same special license to prescribe methadone) or look into speaking with someone from the state or dea about his guy, seriously tapering someone to that amount in a year is insane and refusing to decrease dosage or preform a medically supervised withdrawal if you request it. he sounds like a bad apple and reporting him could save others from becoming dependent on a huge amount of methadone.

i know it sucks because your ready to be done with methadone and move on with your life, it can be frustrating im going through it right now, i tapered from 60 mg and got off about 4 or 5 months ago. im still struggling with depression, lethargy, and it sucks because im ready to finally start getting my life on track but when im always tired and feeling hopeless it's hard to have the drive to go out and do things like finding a new job.
all you can do is enjoy life as much as you can and be proud of yourself that you got of oxycodone and methadone, both take a lot of strength and determination to do.

good for you, keep on going it will keep getting better the longer you go.

Im so sorry to hear that your friend passed away...May she Rest In Peace.

Post Quality Evaluations:
do not quote entire posts. Just post the name of the person you are responding too.

Share this on:

Tags
methadone, side effects