Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Tramadol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 20-08-2012, 23:02
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United Kingdom
DEViANCE is a decent psychonaut.DEViANCE is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 220, Level: 2 Points: 220, Level: 2 Points: 220, Level: 2
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%
tramadol seizures on 50mg possible?

As the title questions. Is it possible to have a seizure on tramadol 50mg oral?
Considering no other meds and no 'known' seizure family history.

No specific reason to ask other than like to establish ALL facts before every journey.
Anyone with just 50mg experiences?

All the best.
Old 20-08-2012, 23:43
Calliope Calliope is nu online
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
Calliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline MedlineCalliope must mainline Medline
Points: 3,785, Level: 9 Points: 3,785, Level: 9 Points: 3,785, Level: 9
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%
Re: tramadol seizures on 50mg possible?

Hi Avocado,

The short answer to your question is yes, it is possible.

I take tramadol fairly regularly at doses between 50mg and 300mg in a 24 hour period. This is within the therapeutic guidelines which say no single doses above 300mg, or higher than 400mg total in 24 hrs. I have never had seizure. But for your question one person's positive experience isn't what you want, that doesn't show seizure from 50mg is not possible. In fact it took me 3 minutes to find a case report of two individuals who had seizure while getting a therapeutic dose of 100mg (see "Intravenous Tramadol-Induced Seizure: Two Case Reports") Tramadol was administered intravenously in these cases, but they establish that the seizure risk exists below the therapeutic guidelines.

You have to keep in mind that different people have different things going on in their brain and neurochemistry, such that they may have a lowered or raised threshold for seizure. Given that tramadol is known to cause seizure, you must assume there is *some* risk even at the 50mg level, and then think about what other things are the case for you.

Risk of seizure from tramadol is increased by withdrawal from sedatives (alcohol, barbiturates, benzodiazepines etc.), or use of seizure threshold reducing drugs (anaesthetics, antibiotics, antidepressants (SSRIs, MAOIs, doxepin, nefazodone), antihistamines (azatadine, cyproheptadine, pheniramine, methdilazine, promethazine), triptans, antipsychotics, aminophylline and theophylline, DXM, bupropion, amphetamines, cocaine, caffeine and all other stimulants, etc.. See this thread for more information on the risks of tramadol including seizure: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...#ixzz24815gRTS

50 mg is a fairly low dose, and if you are healthy and have none of the additional risk factors the chance of seizure is pretty small, but it is still possible.

Think it through and whatever you decide, be safe. :)

Post Quality Evaluations:
Excellent post, well written, factual information with sources and personal experience
great reply with citations and links

Last edited by Calliope; 20-08-2012 at 23:44. Reason: typo
Old 21-08-2012, 14:35
Silver Member

Thank you
Old 25-08-2012, 12:18
Silver Member

The reason I ask is I've taken tram before, possibly 12 to 15 times, always single oral dosage of 50mgs.

Had no problems at all, except on one occasion I was lying in bed late at night, slightly tired and on tramadol 50mg - I had a feeling my eyes were trying to roll into the back of my head, the problem is I also suffer from anxiety so I'm conscious I may have just been hyper vigilant about every little thing and picked up on it then my mind/body took over with anxious thoughts (much like if you tell yourself your arms getting heavy and it then starts to feel heavy) - especially since I was empty minded trying to sleep.

I later woke up with a shock possibly due to to anxiety/dream about anxiety but my anxiety also says in the back of my mind "what if this was the start of a seizure..."

I am a healthy adult with no history of drug abuse and drink perhaps once a week.

I would like to try tramadol again as it gave me a great mood lift for the next couple of days and the feeling of absolute content whilst one it was second to known.

Can anyone share an opinion?

Thanks for listening
Old 13-09-2012, 00:10

26 y/o Male from United States
narcopy should review received reputation comments.
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

it is possible, but ive taken 50-100mg per dose and havent had any adverse reactions
Old 13-09-2012, 03:56

29 y/o Female from United States
moonbaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%

A friend did have a seizure while on a 50mg twice a day dose. She was on no other medication and had no known family risk but it was later confirmed she did have some type of seizure disorder. I'm not sure of all the details.

I have never had an issue and have even taken it while on an antidepressant. Everyone reacts differently but if you are healthy with no family history and not on any other meds, the risk is very low.
Old 24-02-2013, 06:16

27 y/o Male from USA - Arizona
mamad67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

Hi
I take tramadol 100 occasionally (maybe once a month ) but after taking until two hours every 20 minutes things like wave comes to my head and it cause my breathing a little difficult.it is just for seconds every 20 minutes.Are they normal symptoms of tramadol or it is indicator of starting seizure.I have no other bothering symptoms.May taking tramadol will be dangerous for me with this symptom or it is the normal symptoms of CNS (central nervous system)?
thanks a lot friend.
Old 24-02-2013, 16:50
Titanium Member

Female from Earth
thespeedofdark is a decent psychonaut.thespeedofdark is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 256, Level: 2 Points: 256, Level: 2 Points: 256, Level: 2
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

I'm not sure... my feeling is, if you are getting uncomfortable feelings when you take tramadol, it's probably best to avoid it or at least lower your dosage.

Personally, I have not yet had a seizure on tramadol. I have taken 100mg of tramadol several times, and hate it. Makes me feel jittery, and I clench my jaw muscles a lot (so much so that it causes intense pain - I've actually started crying from pain and I'm no baby when it comes to pain - I've had teeth drilled and filled without Novocaine before). If I take 50 mg, I don't really notice many side effects, but I also don't notice much pain relief. It's better than nothing, that's for sure, but it's not great. Basically, the only time I take tramadol these days is if I run out of my hydrocodone script early - I'll take 75 mg 4x a day on the first day I switch from hydrocodone to tramadol, and then I drop it to 50mg 3-4x a day after that, and this prevents any withdrawal symptoms from occurring over the week or so that I'm out of my regular hydro script.
Old 24-02-2013, 17:54
Straight out of Trumpton
Co-Moderator

50 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,640, Level: 12 Points: 7,640, Level: 12 Points: 7,640, Level: 12
Activity: 21.5% Activity: 21.5% Activity: 21.5%

Hello mamad67. Vertigo, dizziness and drowsiness are all possible negative effects of opioid analgesics in general, although I have no idea why you are feeling this 'wave' every twenty minutes. If you are having difficulty breathing after taking tramadol it may be safer to avoid it's use until you have discussed this with your doctor.

Last edited by Mindless; 24-02-2013 at 17:56. Reason: new comment
Old 24-02-2013, 18:18

27 y/o Male from USA - Arizona
mamad67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

thanks
I wanted to know anyone else has expierienced this feeling or it is unusual.The feeling is temporary and short.I think because i take tramadol infrequently (once a month maybe) it is normal .like the first time use.
Becase i scare from the seizure it causes me have stress.

Share this on:

Tags
tramadol, tramadol seizures, tramadol side effects, ultram