Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Various drugs not covered by other forums Discussion of Psychoactive drugs that do not have a specific forum

Old 13-08-2012, 21:21

23 y/o Male from United States
cAnNaBiSfIeNd is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Quick question about prescription refills

Hello DF!

So, I got a prescription a couple days ago from my doctor for 90 Gabapentin. I have restless legs that keep me up all night and my sleepiness is effecting my work/school/life, so he gave me this Neurontin to try. We were discussing dosage and he told me that acceptable doses for this medication range anywhere from 100mg-3600mg, but the prescription on the label reads 1-3 at bedtime. I have used benzos for my restless legs in the past (non prescription) and they worked very well, so that is what I want, but I don't want to tell my doctor I want benzos because I have never been prescribed them so it seems like a bad idea to tell him I have taken them, even if they did help me, and I don't want to get black listed as a drug seeker so I am patiently jumping through his hoops. I blew through the 90 trying various doses from 100mg-2500mg over the last several nights and they are gone- Its been about a week since I first filled the script. My question is this:

On the bottle, there is no mention of "no refill before (x date)". It does say "Refill 1 times until 8/6/2013". Does this mean that I can go to the pharmacy and refill this prescription any time, IE today if I wanted to? I am covered by insurance if that matters. My main concern is that the pharmacy will call my doctor, and even if I am technically allowed to refill the script, my doctor will pull the plug on this script since I took all of them so fast when the label says take 1-3 each night, blowing my shot at getting the benzos down the road.

Even though I don't plan on trying to keep this script long term, I still want to get the next 90 of them to see if they help my legs until my next appointment. However, even if I am technically cleared for a refill at any time for the next year, if there is any chance that my doctor will be called since I took them all so fast when the label says 1-3 a night, then I will toss the bottle and forget about it. I don't have very much experience with legitimate legal prescriptions yet - so any insight is appreciated.

Thank you very much for reading!
Old 13-08-2012, 21:46
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
Aminatrix is on the way upAminatrix is on the way upAminatrix is on the way upAminatrix is on the way up
Points: 559, Level: 3 Points: 559, Level: 3 Points: 559, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Quick question about prescription refills

Well if you and your Doctor actually did talk about YOU taking doses that high, then I don't see a problem with getting your script refilled right away. gabapentin isn't narcotic, and if you were following ur doctors direction then he shouldn't have a problem with you using your refill.

However, it's not like a pain killer, and if your taking a lot trying to find a 'magic dose' it's not going to happen. I think you'd be better off taking it as prescribed over a period of days so your body can adjust to it. It's like for nerve pain i believe, you can look it up on your own.

At some point you will have to tell him that a friend gave you a xanax (or whatever) to try and that it worked very well. I doubt a doctor would xanax for RLS unless he was guided there.

Also, RLS isn't a big enough complaint to warrant daily treatment with Benzos (at least that's my opinion, but you can probably bet the doctor will feel that way too)

I don't see the gabapentin really doing much, for some people it works great, for others it does nothing. Varies greatly due to the cause of the problem and the person. Probably best to wait on getting that refilled so the Dr doesn't think you're a fiend.
Old 13-08-2012, 21:56

Thanks for the reply. My doctor and I didn't discuss ME taking doses that high- he told me to try one to three and see if it helped. I at first took the larger doses trying to get high, and have been dialing them back nightly since then trying to find a dose that might help my legs.

Also, he told me xanax is one of the medicines prescribed for restless legs. Not sure how many other drugs he will have me try before we get there though.

So, do you think they would call my doc since it says 1-3 on the label? Can doctors see when you got your refill even if they aren't called?
Old 14-08-2012, 00:17
Silver Member

26 y/o Female from USA - Colorado
toltexan is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1 Points: 92, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

If the label reads "1-3 tabs", even at the maximum recommended amount you would only have consumed approximately 21 tabs over the course of the week in theory. 90 tabs consumed over the course of a week with a 1-3 tab per day prescribed limit would certainly spell "abuse" or at least "misuse" to a pharmacist (and potentially your doctor), I'm afraid. If you're looking to avoid red-flagging yourself, then I'd highly recommend you wait 4-5 weeks before refilling. Or, better yet, calling your doctor and telling him mono-y-mono your concerns since HE's the one who mentioned taking the massive but nonprescribed dosages. Keep in mind though that going through that quantity in the amount of time you did can probably be classified as abusing the substance.
Old 14-08-2012, 00:53
Titanium Member

37 y/o Female from United States
Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 466, Level: 3 Points: 466, Level: 3 Points: 466, Level: 3
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

Cannabis,

I have a lot of personal experience in regards to this very situation and drug. You didn't indicate the dosage of the medication he prescribed. They usually like to start with 100 mg. Your doctor did you give you the typical threshold dosage for gabapentin.

The first thing I would like to point out is that there are more than one entities involved in getting a refill at a particular time. The first factor being whether it is a scheduled drug or not, which gabapentin is not. Secondly the insurance also has a say as to when they will pay, with my insurance and gabapentin they won't authorize payment until 75% of the medication is gone. The other two main factors are at the pharmacist and the doctors discretion.

Gabapentin in higher doses, ranging from 300mg up, for first time users can result in an intoxicated, sedated, drowsy or dizzy state. Gabapentin is known to be abused, however it is believed at a lower incidence, hence the lack of scheduling status. However it's noted that it's "cousin" Lyrica, a very similar drug, is schedule 4 in some places. So yes, requesting a refill too early can be a red flag to both the pharmacist and doctor and you risk red flagging for future potentially addicting substances.

I think a better route of action is to call the doctor, explain it's not working and ask what to do, and if he thinks increasing the dose is appropiate. From there you can just calculate how much longer you need to wait before requesting a refill, baring in mind that your insurance has it's own standards.

I would also like to take a minute to say, that since you initially took the gabapentin to "get high", that you are possibly at risk for abusing not only them but benzodiazepines as well. Both work very similar, although tolerance builds extremely quickly to gabapentin as you may have discovered. By the same token withdrawal can occur in as little as 2-3 weeks of continued use, especially at higher doses. The withdrawals are said to be similar to benzodiazepines, and while I have no personal experience with benzo WD's I can attest to gabapentin's. I had itchy, skin crawling sensations, anxiety, without pretense, irritability with mood swings, hot and cold flashes, lethargy and insomnia. While I wouldn't say they are as intense as say opiate withdrawal, they are very uncomfortable as well as lengthier in their own right. A word of caution with benzos, as I have heard of horrible extended withdrawal from them.

So in short, IMHO, I would stick to the gabapentin and give it an earnest try. I have heard of good results for RLS with gabapentin use, or you might consider Lyrica (pregabalin), as some patients do better on it. I believe there are also threads about RLS on here that talk of many alternative treatments as well. I would also call you doctor, discuss uping your dose, and waiting an appropriate time before refilling.

Good luck and I hope this helps, M
Old 14-08-2012, 05:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by toltexan View Post
If the label reads "1-3 tabs", even at the maximum recommended amount you would only have consumed approximately 21 tabs over the course of the week in theory. 90 tabs consumed over the course of a week with a 1-3 tab per day prescribed limit would certainly spell "abuse" or at least "misuse" to a pharmacist (and potentially your doctor), I'm afraid. If you're looking to avoid red-flagging yourself, then I'd highly recommend you wait 4-5 weeks before refilling. Or, better yet, calling your doctor and telling him mono-y-mono your concerns since HE's the one who mentioned taking the massive but nonprescribed dosages. Keep in mind though that going through that quantity in the amount of time you did can probably be classified as abusing the substance.
Well put. You talked me out of trying, thanks. I guess I knew it would spell abuse to the pharmacist, but I wasn't sure if it was really any of their business (personally, ya know?) and if I should care what they thought, cause with generally everyone but authority figures and some of my family, I don't. Like I said, I'm new to the legal prescription game.
Old 14-08-2012, 11:25
Silver Member

52 y/o Female from United States
BreakingGood is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1

i think things may be different in CA. But starting with the doctor, he wants to expand his practice, and he wants you to stay. just say that xanax helped you and have a dose in mind. He will assume it was an Rx and will write one for you. they never say no unless theyre assholes, and you try a more sympathetic doctor. Restless leg can drive peope to suicide. I love Neurontin (I get very wise, very horny, then fall asleep) but tolerance builds overnight. Make a new appointment tomorrow and get a new script for xanax. they aim to please. But ALTERNATE YOUR PHARMACY USE. My pain doc says that's perfectly ok for privacy reasons and pharmacists are being hassled by the DEA something fierce. Even two different stores in the same chain cant share info because of privacy laws. We do it mainly because we can get refills 8 days early. You have a problem that youre working on with a doctor and you need to go see him as often as it takes to get relief. (My current doc always says no while writing an Rx for exactly what i asked for!) There are no laws that limit the number of doc visits and you dont have to finish a medicine that isnt working for you. And insurance will cover any script thats different from the one before even if its WEEKS too early. Have a little faith! ) Good luck and get well.

Share this on:

Tags
gabapentin