Register Tags

Notices

Opiates & Opioids Opiates & Opioids.

Old 11-08-2012, 22:19

Male from United States
46 AND 2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
What is the least expensive prescription opiate?

I am prescribed opiates for chronic pain. Several years ago, I had good health insurance and all my medications were pretty much paid for. I mostly took Vicodin and Percocet and I remember them costing me next to nothing. I stopped taking opiates for about 2 years and just smoked pot, but that wasn't doing enough for the pain after a while. Now that I am back on opiates, I don't have any health insurance this go around. My doctor prescribed me Norco to start off since its been a while with me on opiates. With my next visit, she said we would move back up to Vicodin or Percocet. But when I went to get my script filled, it cost me about XXX for 100 pills of Norco. I learned afterwards, that prescriptions are not one fixed cost and it's smart to call different pharmacies and get prices before getting a script filled. With that in mind, does anyone know generally what the cheapest prescription opiate is? I'm sure my doctor would take a suggestion if I mentioned it was for cost. Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by Shampoo; 10-10-2012 at 15:04.
Old 11-08-2012, 22:55
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,301, Level: 20 Points: 19,301, Level: 20 Points: 19,301, Level: 20
Activity: 59.2% Activity: 59.2% Activity: 59.2%
Re: What is the least expensive prescription opiate?

Price discussion is strictly against the rules.

Ask your pharmacist, tell them this is getting to expensive and you need a cheaper option. What about generics? Tell your doctor! There is nothing wrong with this question.

Can you get better insurance? I'm poor and got Gov't insurance with HMO coverage, so all generics are $4-5, even my adderal.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Very well put. Balanced and kind. So many of us are poor. Thanks for mentioning it.
Helpful alternative suggestions
Old 11-08-2012, 22:59
Silver Member

54 y/o Male from United States
LaLaLander is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1

Methadone is a very cheap prescription opiate. I really don't think that this is breaking any price disscussion rules.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:17

Male from United States

I'm sorry, I thought that rule applied only to illicit drugs. I will research a little more and see what I can come up with. The Norco script I filled was the generic hydrocodone/acetaminophen 10/325, which is why I was surprised it was so expensive even without insurance. I did come across an article that says CVS pharmacy prices are typically more expensive than other pharmacies, so I think I'll be avoiding them. I'll also ask my doctor. I'm sure she will have at least some idea.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:35
Silver Member

54 y/o Male from United States
LaLaLander is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1

Whatever you are prescribed, be sure to call around to different pharmacies and check prices. You will probably get a better price at a little mom and pop pharmacy then a big chain. I pay over a hundred dollars less for my Dilaudid script at a small pharmacy then at a big chain store.
Old 13-08-2012, 16:52
Titanium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.Solinari really knows their shit.
Points: 1,526, Level: 5 Points: 1,526, Level: 5 Points: 1,526, Level: 5
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%

Wait a minute, price discussion on a legal prescription for therapeutic reasons is not allowed? That is ridiculous and I find it hard to believe.

The rule is as follows...

Quote:
To avoid trade on this site, prices topics are no longer allowed.

We do not want members advertising prices of controlled substances. Prices & sources of common products from national chain stores like K-mart are allowed. Prices can be entered and reviewed in the drug price calculator

Not being able to discuss the price of illicit street drugs I fully support but not being allowed to talk about the price of medication, that's a bit silly and seems it's a bit of grey area. I am not convinced the rule applies in this case.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Sound reasoning
Old 14-08-2012, 17:29
Twisted Depiction
Super Moderator

Male from United States
Phungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 23,012, Level: 21 Points: 23,012, Level: 21 Points: 23,012, Level: 21
Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0% Activity: 19.0%

QUICK RULE CLARIFICATION:

This has come up several times in the past. The key phrase in the rule is this...

"Prices & sources of common products from national chain stores like K-mart are allowed."

It may seem a little contradictory at first, but the kind of price discussion in this thread is allowed, because it concerns prices found in national pharmacies.

I know it's a little bit of a gray area as many prescribed drugs are controlled substances, and also because prescription drugs are commonly sold as 'street' drugs.

Bottom Line: Price discussion of prescription drugs is allowed, if obtained from a pharmacy.

Last edited by Phungushead; 15-08-2012 at 03:51.
Old 14-08-2012, 17:49
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%

Target has a great program considering I have NO insurance, I get my hydrocodone 10/325 and ibuprofen 800's for 62 bucks, considering it's FAR more than that as usual.

You just have to fill out that target pharmacy pamphlet and get their prescription card, it's the best I can find without insurance.
Old 14-08-2012, 18:16
Titanium Member

37 y/o Female from United States
Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 466, Level: 3 Points: 466, Level: 3 Points: 466, Level: 3
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

Since prices can very store to store as well as area to area, I would recommend calling and asking a pharmacist that specific question, as well as briefly describing your circumstances.

Some people don't realize that big box stores such as Sam's Club where a membership is required for shopping have to allow access to the pharmacy regardless of membership status. Often times there is a substantially lower cost.

I would also contact the county you live in and inquire into indigent health plans that are available at zero to low cost depending upon income or lack thereof. Most hospital's also have a financial assistance program that offer similar terms. I was on such a program that paid 100% of my medical care and prescriptions. It's definately worth a look into if you don't qualify for Medicaid.
Old 26-09-2012, 01:45

Male from United States

Thank you all again for you suggestions. To update, I was able to call local pharmacies and get prices over the phone from most of them. I have found that it is typically least expensive to fill my prescriptions at Target and Walgreens.

On the other hand, CVS was the biggest rip off.
Old 26-09-2012, 02:32
Silver Member

Male from United States
aztech_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

bizarre - in SWIM's experience WALGREENS is the biggest ripoff, CVS was much better in prices over Wallgreens. May be it differs from medicine to medicine - but in SWIM's case Wallgreens was always more for the same meds...
Old 26-09-2012, 08:17
Titanium Member

60 y/o Male from United States
The Cats Dream is captain of the psychonauts.The Cats Dream is captain of the psychonauts.The Cats Dream is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 391, Level: 3 Points: 391, Level: 3 Points: 391, Level: 3
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

As a general rule, the older the drug the less it costs. A few years ago I was taking codeine+acetominophen for pain, I remember the cost as being almost nothing...
Old 26-09-2012, 09:10
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
Soma Cruz probably knows what they are talking about.Soma Cruz probably knows what they are talking about.Soma Cruz probably knows what they are talking about.Soma Cruz probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 578, Level: 3 Points: 578, Level: 3 Points: 578, Level: 3
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cats Dream View Post
As a general rule, the older the drug the less it costs. A few years ago I was taking codeine+acetominophen for pain, I remember the cost as being almost nothing...
This is a very good point. It also helps to consider the more manufacturers a drug has, whether it's available in generic form, and how commonly prescribed it is.

OP, sometimes you can ask your doctor to write a prescription for the generic version or the brand name, with both of them stated on the pad, if price is an issue. You might want to try this. I have filled prescriptions for both "Norco" and "hydrocodone + APAP/generic for Norco" and the latter was about half the cost, something like $100 vs $50 for 120 counts of both, respectively, at Target.

Share this on: