Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Ethnobotanicals Psychedelic plants, Iboga, Calea, Blue lotus, Ephedra, Sinicuichi, Betel nut, etc.

Old 27-07-2012, 13:49
Titanium Member

Male from Australia
Troppo is on the way upTroppo is on the way upTroppo is on the way up
Points: 710, Level: 4 Points: 710, Level: 4 Points: 710, Level: 4
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Scutellaria nana (Desert Skullcap)---any experiences?

I read about this plant while looking up mild cannabis alternatives. Apparently it is a species of the skullcap plant that is small and grows in the "Great Basin" area of the US. Initial reading indicates that it is the strongest member of the species in terms of psychoactive effects, although those effects are more sedative than psychedelic.

Does anyone have any practical experience with this plant, as a sedative or cannabis substitute? My interest in it is due to my friend's desire to find an alternative to alcohol and cannabis for relaxation at night. The first article I read was about smoking it, but I guess it could also be taken as a herbal tea, or made into a concentrated extract.

My friend found a source within my own country, and I will post his experience if it is more than a placebo.

Last edited by Troppo; 31-07-2012 at 12:22.
Old 29-07-2012, 22:51
Titanium Member

Male from Earth
Shanty is on the way upShanty is on the way upShanty is on the way upShanty is on the way up
Points: 599, Level: 3 Points: 599, Level: 3 Points: 599, Level: 3
Re: Scutellaria nana (Desert Skullcap)---any experiences?

Scullcap is a wonderful herb... and potent. A member of the mint family.
Although this old man doesnt have experience with Desert Scullcap, he does have much experience with plain ol' scullcap and Mad-Dog scullcap....Scutellaria lateriflora.... (which is supposed to be the strongest.... as far as I know).

Firstly: Tea is the way to go. A spoonfull or two should be dandy. Smoking this herb is.... strange.... the smoke burns the throat in a odd sort of way.

Secondly: The effects are relaxing, anti-anxiety (wonderfully so), and sedating.

Thirdly: This plant is SO nice to take when tripping. This old man had some Mad-Dog scullcap, drink some tea, and its like a weight off the shoulders, and in combo with LSD it gave him some pleasant glowing visuals.

Fourthly: It is an excellent choice as an evening alternative to booze and cannabis. Especially night time. Although This old man has found that some weak scullcap tea in the morning has a way of making the day good. It works well has a type of "ADHD" medication... in the sense that it focuses the mind, quieting peripheral thoughts.

Fifthly: Be aware that there is a potential for liver toxicity if overused/abused. Listen to your body. This old man has never run into a problem with it though.

and a warning from LiveStrong: Do not use skullcap during pregnancy, or if you are taking benzodiazepines, antidepressants or anticonvulsants.

This Old man is suprised that Scullcap isnt talk about more around these parts...
Old 31-07-2012, 12:21
Titanium Member

Male from Australia

Thanks for the information. That source I mentioned is out of stock of Desert Skullcap, but Mad Dog Skullcap is available from various sources around here.

That's interesting about tea being a better way of taking it than smoking. I have also read a few reports saying tea is better than smoking with Damiana too, even though the usual opinion is that smoking is the better way. My friend would much rather find something that works as a tea or other oral preparation rather than smoking, as he wants to give his lungs a rest.

Interesting about the combination with LSD, that is something I hadn't heard of before. Thanks also for the warnings, they will be taken into consideration.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:38
Titanium Member

Male from Earth
Shanty is on the way upShanty is on the way upShanty is on the way upShanty is on the way up

Yes. Damiana Tea is better than smoking. Not everything is better if smoked. I have no idea why people want to smoke everything. Although Damiana is strongest when drunk as tea, then a doob of it smoked later. But really.... stick to the tea.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:33
Silver Member

Male from United States
PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.
Points: 1,084, Level: 5 Points: 1,084, Level: 5 Points: 1,084, Level: 5
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

Scutellaria nana is supposed to be the strongest of the skullcaps. From what I have read, it may be one of the strongest of the legal smoking herbs. I have never tried it but I have tried S. laterifolia and S. galericulata both as tea and smoked.

As Shanty mentioned, a tea is more pleasant in this case and the effects last longer. The tea of these herbs is very bitter. IME, S. galericulata -marsh skullcap- is more potent that S. laterifolia. It has a noticeable euphoria that S. laterifolia does not.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:59

Male from Earth
Tetrahydrocannibinol should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Ive never heard of this plant. May I ask why your friend doesnt want to smoke cannabis? Has he taken into consideration the different strains and their effects? Many have very sedative properties.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:43
Titanium Member

Male from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrahydrocannibinol View Post
Ive never heard of this plant. May I ask why your friend doesnt want to smoke cannabis? Has he taken into consideration the different strains and their effects? Many have very sedative properties.
One of the main reasons is the fact that more and more employers are starting to perform drug testing as part of their initial employment process. It's not only safety-intensive industries like mining and railways anymore, but even postal services and retail warehouses. Quite ridiculous, because a urine test will disqualify someone just because they have smoked at some stage previously and are not intoxicated at the time of the test, but that's the way it is.

Another problem is actually getting the different strains. The average seller in this area just asks you how much you want, and you end up with whatever strain is going around at the time. I don't think they even know what it is themselves! Keep in mind that I'm talking about a rural area of Australia, so there isn't exactly much in the way of variety.

Troppo added 2 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulMedicine View Post
Scutellaria nana is supposed to be the strongest of the skullcaps. From what I have read, it may be one of the strongest of the legal smoking herbs. I have never tried it but I have tried S. laterifolia and S. galericulata both as tea and smoked.

As Shanty mentioned, a tea is more pleasant in this case and the effects last longer. The tea of these herbs is very bitter. IME, S. galericulata -marsh skullcap- is more potent that S. laterifolia. It has a noticeable euphoria that S. laterifolia does not.
Thanks for this. I will see if this plant is available from anyone here. S. laterifolia seems the only type available, but maybe S. galericulata is available from someone who sells exotic herbs. Unfortunately I don't think it grows wild in Australia.

Last edited by Troppo; 12-08-2012 at 04:43. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 15-08-2012, 03:46
Titanium Member

Male from Earth

All the scullcap thats this old man tried for tea tasted great. A creamy like taste.

Blue Vervain, is an herb that has similar effects to scullcap, and is supposedly stronger. The Old Man has tried it in tea but found it way to bitter to continue.
\
Tinctures work well with these herbs
Old 19-08-2012, 22:29
Silver Member

Male from United States
PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.PowerfulMedicine must live here.
Points: 1,084, Level: 5 Points: 1,084, Level: 5 Points: 1,084, Level: 5
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanty View Post
All the scullcap thats this old man tried for tea tasted great. A creamy like taste.

Blue Vervain, is an herb that has similar effects to scullcap, and is supposedly stronger. The Old Man has tried it in tea but found it way to bitter to continue.
Perhaps I make my tea stronger than you.

And are you talking about Verbena hastata when you refer to Blue Vervain? I have never heard of this plant having psychoactive properties before. This is another common plant of moist and swampy areas that I often find growing wild in my area. I am going to have to go and see if it is still in bloom and possibly go collect some.

Share this on:

» New Threads
Ephedrine hcl, caffeine, yohimbe,...
Last post by Alien Sex Fiend
4 Replies, 482 Views
help!! have no idea how to keep...
Last post by Lucyin_the_sky_of_dimonds
2 Replies, 23 Views
Today I Legally Purchased Cannabis...
Last post by Alien Sex Fiend
2 Replies, 133 Views
In need of some outside...