Opiates & Opioids Opiates & Opioids.

Old 21-07-2012, 01:34

39 y/o Female from French Polynesia
kittycapucine1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Endorphins vs. Narcotics

Hi, everybody:

I learned that the human body produces endorphins naturally. Endorphins are supposed to be similar to narcotics (opioids/opiates).

I found out I had RSD in August 2001. My RSD is now generalized (full body). I have Intractable Pain secondary to RSD.

Between August 2001 and September 2002, I stayed without effective pain treatment (my fentanyl patches and my morphine sulfate immediate release capsules) because I could not find any doctor willing to prescribe them for me.

During this lapse of time, while I was not taking any strong narcotics (between August 2001 and September 2002), why did my endorphins not kill any of my RSD pain? Could it be because some people (maybe me?) simply do not produce any endorphins or could it be because man-made narcotics such as morphine and fentanyl are stronger, much stronger than endorphins?

If you have any information, please let me know. I thank you very much for any help you could give me.

Post Quality Evaluations:
A most interesting question that is likely to be relevant to many users, even if the way you posed it was a bit specific to yourself.
Old 21-07-2012, 01:45
Silver Member

33 y/o Male from United States
Mr Gregoire is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Endorphins vs. Narcotics

all i have to say is that if you have been using opiates prior to running out of your script then your body just isnt making endorphins as much as someone who has never used opiates.

Well and succinctly pointed out.
Old 21-07-2012, 02:28
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.
Points: 863, Level: 4 Points: 863, Level: 4 Points: 863, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Many opiates are stronger than endorphins and their effects tend to last longer. Endorphins aren't constantly released, so one has to trigger their release. The following are ways one could release endorphins:
  • Exercise
  • Eating spicy food
  • Feeling of excitement or love
  • Orgasm
Old 21-07-2012, 05:36
Titanium Member

Female from United States
hypernihl is on the way uphypernihl is on the way uphypernihl is on the way up
Points: 409, Level: 3 Points: 409, Level: 3 Points: 409, Level: 3
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cudi View Post
Many opiates are stronger than endorphins and their effects tend to last longer. Endorphins aren't constantly released, so one has to trigger their release. The following are ways one could release endorphins:
  • Exercise
  • Eating spicy food
  • Feeling of excitement or love
  • Orgasm
I 100% agree with your list. In my experience the only one that produces a significant endorphin experience is exercise. Heavy aerobic exercise can produce an an endorphin high for ~ 45 - 60 mins.

All the others are very short acting.
Old 25-07-2012, 04:17

59 y/o Male from Canada
Toleneabuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

Does anyone prefer natural endorphins to opiates here?

To answer my own question, I do not know which one I prefer. I've been in combat situations, sports combat, worked out my entire life, have a consistent sex life, love food... etc... but cannot tell if I enjoy opiates more then these things that produce natural endorphins.

I think it's a tie!

This question is bordering on off-topic and derailing the thread, but also sort of on topic, so no points taken... but in the future, please try and focus on and think about what the topic of the thread really is.
Old 25-07-2012, 05:43
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.Kid Cudi really adds to the discussion.
Points: 863, Level: 4 Points: 863, Level: 4 Points: 863, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I, myself, enjoy opiates more than endorphins or enkephalins (endogenous opioids that act upon delta receptors). The main reason why is because the effects from opiates, generally, last longer and are more constant than effects from a natural endorphin/enkephalin rush. I guess some people are able to produce and release more endogenous opioids than others. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm one of those people since I've never felt any significant effects other than after exercising or an orgasm. Even then, the endorphin/enkephalin rush is very short-lived.

Share this on:

Tags
endorphin release, endorphins, narcotics, opiates, opioids, pain control, pain management