Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 18-07-2012, 01:46

Male from Earth
jd1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Opiate Withdrawal help/motivation

I have been getting prescribed 100 30mg oxycodones. I wanted to stop going to doctor and stop use. I had half of one on saturday. None on sunday. None on monday and none today. I dont have any more left my only option is cold turkey really. I havent slept in 2 days. I feel better today because I took a lot of caffeine. Which helps a lot for me. I have used anthistamines with mixed results. IDK If I should get some or not...I really need sleep tonight...I feel like im going crazy any help or advice is appreciated. The worst symptom to me is no sleep. I feel like that makes you feel even more exhausted and have a lot less energy. With my experience before Ive been able to feel A LOT better on the 3rd or 4th day. Anyone else feel that way?? Ive read people saying 5 days to a week. I hope that is not the case with me.....
Old 18-07-2012, 02:01
Titanium Member

37 y/o Female from United States
Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 466, Level: 3 Points: 466, Level: 3 Points: 466, Level: 3
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%
Re: Opiate Withdrawal help/motivation

2 200mg of tagamet 30 minutes prior to 10-15 loperamide tablets (immodium) all OTC does the trick for me. Takes away 80-90% of the symptoms and I sleep. The only antihistamines I have had good luck for sleeping with is prescription phenergan which is often prescribed for nausea, otherwise the OTC has been known to worsen the "heeby jeebies" and electric shock feeling I get throughout my spine, shoulder and neck, and doesn't help with sleep at all. Hope this helps, report back soon, and best of luck to you, it's hard but you seem like you really want to stop and are on the right track!
Old 18-07-2012, 10:24

Male from Earth

its 3:23AM where I live right now..I took some tylenol PM and its gaved me restless leg syndrome...im going to be up all night again...this is the 3rd night with no sleep. i think im going to go to a doctor tomorrow...i hope i can find a walk-in clinic to get something to help me sleep
Old 18-07-2012, 10:43
Silver Member

26 y/o Female from United States
Tink102487 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 82, Level: 1 Points: 82, Level: 1 Points: 82, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
I would get a hold of your doctor first thing in the morning let them know what your going through. A good doctor will help anyway they can. If you're going through withdrawals an want to come off I would suggest not getting any. But keep a close eye on your heart rate an blood pressure if you can. You may get the shakes as well which I heard are rather bothersome. Sleep deprivation, unfortunately is one of the side effects as I'm sure you know. Have you tried some at home remedies? Warm milk, hot bath, lavender scented anything? Try to keep food in you as much as you can an stay hydrated, it should help.

Also I have seen some people have outrageous mood swings! Do a little research on what is most likely to happen an what is rare an should be taken seriously. Good luck to you, hope you start feeling better soon! Definitely get a physicians help asap, no reason for you to go through all this. Feel free to send me an email if you need something to help take your mind off it!
Old 18-07-2012, 12:07
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from USA - Georgia
RayetWolf is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

When I went cold turkey off of Methadone I didn't sleep for the first seven days except for little bursts of microsleep, and even now almost two months later I still have issues with insomnia. Based on the experiences of myself and others, I can tell you that after 5 days the withdrawal off of Oxycodone will start to ease up, although it can take up to two weeks before you feel totally better. Unfortunately, insomnia is one of the last things to go, and it could take a month or more before your sleep cycle returns to normal.

The only thing that I could take during the worst of it that would let me sleep at all were Benzodiazapines or Zolpidem. I've always been a light-weight when it comes to benzos, but the doses that I had to take to get any sleep at all were beyond anything I've ever taken before in my life and even then I would only sleep for a few hours at a time. Unfortunately the one thing that is going to let you get a good nights sleep (either more Oxycodone or another opioid) is the one thing that will undo all of the hard-won progress you have made so far.

I broke off of pain management after being on it for a decade because I got sick to death of being a slave to the meds, and so I know exactly what you are going through. My heart breaks for you; I wouldn't wish opiate withdrawal on my worst enemy. I know full well that no pretty words of mine are going to make your suffering any easier, but please don't give up! Taking back ownership of my soul from these meds was both one of the hardest, and the most rewarding things I have ever done. Stay strong, and good luck!
Old 18-07-2012, 13:33
Silver Member

Male from United States
SlaveKnowMore is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 127, Level: 1 Points: 127, Level: 1 Points: 127, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I can relate Rayet. I too was on a decade long pain management bender with hydros and oxys. I too got tired of the bondage. Been clean about 2 months and the sleep is starting to get better but it's still not great. One has to be patient as opiate recovery can take a long time. Besides dealing with the pain that they relieved, the hardest part now is enduring the non-stop barrage of little whispers. The ones that tell me "I've got enough time under my belt to have a few, after all, I need them". Fuck that. Freedom from that junk is one of the most liberating things I've ever done in my life. It's also required me to ride a roller coaster that's not always fun but I'm still a winner in the long run.

Good luck on the kick jd. The early days blow but it's so worth it when you break out of the initial funk and into the light of freedom.
Old 18-07-2012, 14:41

Male from USA - Georgia

SlaveKnowMore, truer words were never spoken. It can be so hard to resist the temptation to take more opiates, especially as the withdrawal seems to just go on and on. You tell yourself "I can take just a couple so that I can get some rest, just to recuperate so that I can keep going", and that's a sure-fire way to make the whole process take even longer. Also, stopping at "just a couple of tabs" is about damn near impossible, especially when they wear off and you start to feel like hell again.

JD, know that although we may be complete strangers scattered all over the planet we are most definitely here for you. I know that doesn't help much, but for what it's worth we are all rooting for you. You are better and stronger than the meds. And if you fail in your current endeavor to break away from the meds, DON"T GET DISCOURAGED. Very, very few people make it on their first try. Just regroup, re-commit, and try again as many times as it takes. It took me a couple of tries to make it happen. Having FINALLY made it to the other side I can say without a doubt that the chronic pain is INFINITELY better than the agony of withdrawal. There is nothing in the world like waking up in the morning and feeling normal after years of bondage to the spirit of the poppy.

For what it's worth, you are in my prayers.
Old 18-07-2012, 15:09
Titanium Member

Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.Fentiful probably knows what they are talking about.

Jd, did you even try the tagamet/lope? I think it could very likely help you through the spot your in, the worst of the WD's and save you a trip to the doc. If you do go to the doc, some non-addictive drugs I have tried for that, that are typically easy to get were phenergan, an antihistamine that is typically prescribed for anti-nausea, and helps with anxiety and tizanidine a muscle relaxer, which is similar to clonidine, a bp medicine which is used with good results for a lot to help with a lot of the WD symptoms as a whole, but also can cause severe lethargy and tiredness. If I take a half to one whole of the tizanidine it will usually not knock me out though when in WD. Never personally tried the clonidine. If you have acess to Gabapentin, it also works well for WD's and sleeping. It can make you feel intoxicated, elated, almost drunk the first couple of doses but your body quickly acclomates and builds tolerance to this drug and longterm use causes similar withdrawal then benzos, which of course are another option. Honestly I have had mixed results with those in WD. Sometimes it would knock me out, and sometimes it wouldn't knock the edge off, and I didn't want to risk getting hooked on those as the withdrawals are much worse than opiate WD.

Hope I've helped some, and good luck!
Old 18-07-2012, 16:55

Male from Earth

thanks for all the support guys i actually think i went to bed at 4 30 and slept till like 9. low quality sleep and not that much but a lot better then nothing...when i went to the bathroom this morning no more diarrhea...which means one of the symptoms is gone....i feel a lot better. i decided im not going to the doctor im just going to fight through it..

im a little bit scared about what you guys are telling me about the insomnia and how long it lasts... last time i went through WD about 4-5 days my sleep was normal again i hope this is the case again. keep in mind i wasnt fully addicted before i got this 100 30mg oxy script. so i havent been addicted for months and months. only 1 month with high doses.

anyone have experience with insomnia going away within 4-5 days??
Old 19-07-2012, 01:43

33 y/o Male from United States
Onesimus should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1

My suggestion, you may not like, force yourself to work out as hard as possible after dinner. Garaunteed, a great nights sleep. After the first couple days of that your body will feel alot better. You will feel like a new person by next wednesday.
Old 19-07-2012, 03:30

Male from Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesimus View Post
My suggestion, you may not like, force yourself to work out as hard as possible after dinner. Garaunteed, a great nights sleep. After the first couple days of that your body will feel alot better. You will feel like a new person by next wednesday.
my room mate is actually going to the gym..im going to go with him and i will try that out..lets hope i can last...my mood has improved a lot since the the tylenol PM drowziness is wearing off...I feel like if i can sleep a bit tonight...tomorrow will be a piece of cake...
Old 19-07-2012, 04:00

Male from USA - Georgia

JD, I'm so glad to hear you have made the decision to press on and get through this ordeal. I was also really glad to hear that you were finally able to get some sleep. I too hate the insomnia with a passion. It's been 57 days since I took my last dose of Methadone, and I'm still having problem with it. Based on what you said about the dose and duration of use in your last post you are still looking at dealing with some sleep issues for the next few weeks to come.

Now when I say that, I don't mean that you are going to be awake for days on end. What I mean is that initially you are going to have severe problems with being able to sleep at all - that's what you are going through right now at the height of the withdrawal. As the days progress it's going to be easier and easier to go to sleep, but (if you are like myself) even after the rest of the withdrawal is all over and done with you will probably have some issues with staying asleep throughout the night. That will gradually resolve itself, and within a month or so of no opiates your sleep cycle will be pretty much back to normal.

Given the identity of the opiate you took, the dosage, and the duration you took it I will hazard a guess and say that the worst of the withdrawal will probably end for you in about 5 days (give or take a couple days to account for your own personal physiology). That's the official Opiate Withdrawal Syndrome, and during this period sleep is usually very hard to come by (as I'm sure you are painfully aware). Once the worst of the withdrawal is done and you start feeling better you enter a transition period between being addicted and totally free during which symptoms of Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (P.A.W.S.) can manifest. This period is when you can expect sleep disturbances, but not total insomnia. It's hard to say how long you will experience PAWS symptoms, but if you don't take any more opiates it should resolve itself within a week or two.

I really hope that all of this is helpful (and accurate - remember, all of this is just my best guess based on my own experiences). Hang in there - you are almost at day 5 which for me has always been when I've started to feel noticeably better. Stay strong, and don't let this crap beat you. You are better than that. Kick its ass instead. )
Old 19-07-2012, 15:57

Male from Earth

So ill pass my 5 day mark in a couple hours..no sleep last night my body is so sore from working out and not getting any sleep. i really really hope i can get 4 hours tonight. my mood has improved a good bit yesterday and today. no more diarrhea and appetite is back to normal...

i think if i got a normal nights sleep i would be over withdrawals...thats just how i feel. i dont have money to go to the doctor and any anti-histamines gives me restless legs. anyone know of any OTC supps i can get at wal mart or vitamin shoppe that might help and arent too expensive.
Old 19-07-2012, 16:11
Titanium Member

JD,

If you do a search of ways to ease opiate withdrawals and insomnia you will find a lot of helpful suggestions. I can only comment on bendadryl which has diphenhydramine as it's active ingrediants. For me it tends to make me feel more irritable, and irritates this extremely uncomfortable electric shock/sensation I get throughout my spine, shoulder and arm. Perhaps this is what some people's legs feel like with RLS. I dunno, all my legs ever did was ache but I got that feeling elsewhere.

Anyway's I've heard valerian, melatonin, and a product called california poppy have all been helpful and useful to varying degrees but I personally have tried, that's why I recommended you doing some research on the subject there is a lot of good info already stated.

As you found being more active didn't work out very well for me. I had to use the loperamide and tagamet, and then I got a normal amount of sleep. If you don't want to try that, perhaps the supplements will help, but insommnia is usually the last thing to go for what I hear of the vast majority of people. Perhaps you could also trying taking a nice warm bath before bed, and chamomile tea. Just try to at least relax the best you can, don't find it, watch a slightly interesting, but a bit boring show, research, come to DF when you can't sleep and just lay down when you can to take naps, rests, because if you don't get enough rest and replenshment it can be a motivator to use again, "just to get a little rest" and next thing you know your on the merry go round again. You've made it through the worst of having all the symptoms it sounds like, which can come and go for days to come, but for me not getting sleep was absolute the worst. If all else fails you could go to the ER, tell them you are having a lot of anxiety from not sleeping, don't have to go into details about drug use, just mention you have been going through a bad time, and can request a prescription antihistamine that aids with sleep. I would try that before being tempted to try benzos, or sleep meds, as they can cause their own addictions as well.

Keep up the good work!
Old 19-07-2012, 23:03

Male from Earth

thanks for your help...benzos have never really been a problem for me. i dont desire to ever take them that much...only to sleep.

but still im going to go without em...even though i got no sleep last night it went by a lot faster then other nights b/c my mood is a lot better.

im going to try valerian root. as i remember it making me relax pretty well.
Old 20-07-2012, 05:16

Male from USA - Georgia

JD, I have to admit that I'm really impressed with your dedication to getting through this ordeal. You are doing amazingly well, and your positive attitude along with your sheer determination to make it through this is just incredible. You are a real trooper, and I can guarantee you that once this is over you are going to be so glad that you took back your life from this crap instead of falling back into it. I may not know you from Adam, but dude I am really proud of you. You kick ass - lol.

Fentiful made some good suggestions about what kind of OTC meds you can take to help with the insomnia. That being said, in my experience there is nothing that's going to let you get a good nights sleep at this point except for some kind of strong prescription sleep medication. However, Fentiful is absolutely correct in pointing out that prescription sleep meds like benzos can also be addictive, and that addiction to these drugs is far more dangerous and longer lasting that opiate addiction. However, short term use just to get you though this ordeal shouldn't cause any kind of problem like that.

I really wish that I could tell you that there was something you could pick up at Wal-Mart that would resolve the insomnia issue. For me, there was absolutely nothing that would let me get any kind of sleep except for strong prescription sleep meds, and even those would only knock me out for a few hours at most. I agree with Fentiful - if all else fails go to the E.R. and tell them you are anxious and are having chronic insomnia and that this was the only way you could afford to see a doctor about it (they have to treat you if you go to the E.R. whether they like it or not). If that idea doesn't appeal to you then go with Fentiful's advice and try some of the things suggested in their last post.

It really is going to get better over the next few days. Once again I agree with Fentiful - try to keep yourself occupied if you can't sleep so that you aren't just sitting there going crazy. Anything that makes you laugh is going to make you feel better. Another thing you can try is listening to music - maybe that's just me but I've found that jammin' to some bitchin' tunes tended to make me feel better too.

When I went cold turkey off of Methadone on the 22nd of May I literally did not sleep for 7 days. I knew that being awake that long could cause things like hallucinations, and I was prepared for that. What I wasn't prepared for was the way I was emotionally coming undone. I went to my doctor on the 8th day and got a script for Ambien, and that night I slept for 3 hours (and was very, very glad that I was able to get even that). Even now at 58 days out I'm still dealing with PAWS sleep issues. So I totally understand just how much not being able to sleep truly sucks.

Stay strong man. We are all rooting for you, and we are here if you need us to help you keep going. You are definitely winning, and it won't be long now until you cross the finish line. You are at least halfway through it (probably a lot more). Keep on kickin ass and taking names.

Last edited by RayetWolf; 20-07-2012 at 05:22.
Old 20-07-2012, 06:34
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
Aminatrix is on the way upAminatrix is on the way upAminatrix is on the way upAminatrix is on the way up
Points: 559, Level: 3 Points: 559, Level: 3 Points: 559, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1234 View Post
I have been getting prescribed 100 30mg oxycodones. I wanted to stop going to doctor and stop use. I had half of one on saturday. None on sunday. None on monday and none today. I dont have any more left my only option is cold turkey really. I havent slept in 2 days. I feel better today because I took a lot of caffeine. Which helps a lot for me. I have used anthistamines with mixed results. IDK If I should get some or not...I really need sleep tonight...I feel like im going crazy any help or advice is appreciated. The worst symptom to me is no sleep. I feel like that makes you feel even more exhausted and have a lot less energy. With my experience before Ive been able to feel A LOT better on the 3rd or 4th day. Anyone else feel that way?? Ive read people saying 5 days to a week. I hope that is not the case with me.....
Oxycodone is faster acting than heroin, i have heard many claims that this withdrawal only lasts 3-4 days. If you've had that experience before i'd say it's likely you'll have it again. Of course there are PAWS, post acute withdrawal symptoms, which is like feeling anhedonic or dysphoria for a few months to a year. A positive attitude and going out and picking up activities will help make you recover more quickly. It really comes down to how much you're willing to push yourself even when you feel like total SHIT.

Good luck, and congratulations for taking the hardest step.
Old 21-07-2012, 16:04

Male from Earth

yeah the first time i was going through WD. ambien had no effect on me for days. only xanax would work..

last night i took a high dose of valerian root. i think i got 3-4 hours. this WD isnt like the last one i had even though the first one i was addicted a lot longer but the insomnia was never this bad. i would gain a NORMAL (8 hour, higher quality sleep) within 4 days

it scares me to read about you guys not getting normal sleep for months...i just dont think i will be able to handle that.

woke up with diarrhea i thought that symptom went away but i guess it creeped back in.

jd1234 added 1395 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

last night it was 2am and my heart rate was super high...my heart was pounding...i thought it would be impossible for me to get any sleep but somehow i managed to get a couple hours in...things are getting better but still not great...i really hope i can get 4+ hours of sleep every night from now on....sounds too good to be true though ahh

Last edited by jd1234; 21-07-2012 at 16:04. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 21-07-2012, 16:34
Titanium Member

Jd,

I thought to mention something else, while I personally don't use DXM recreationally, I actually use the dxm/guaifenesin mix because I have issues with congestion. It only has those two ingrediants, anyways after hearing that it helps some people with WD's I've tried on occasion taking 4 of the 400mg guaf and 20 mg of the dxm hbr immediate release caplets when I was in a lot of pain and after it kicked in about 20-30 minutes later it knocked me out, no weird feelings prior except feeling a bit out of it, and I suppose you could say disassociated from my pain or any thoughts really just vegged out in front of the TV until I fell asleep for several hours.

Just a thought if you are still having issues sleeping. I can't personally see how people trip on it, nor do I want to, but I suppose one would have to take much higher doses and that somehow keeps them for sleeping. Or perhaps I'm just different but I've read other posts where people have said the same. Also my doctor has told me point blank for my congestion issues that at least 1200mg of guaifenesin was needed to be useful in aiding congesting, and according to him it is a very safe dose at those levels, x 4 tablets is 1600mg of guaf.
Old 23-07-2012, 16:02

Male from Earth

thanks for the advice...however i am a student and really broke right now.. spent $6 on tylenol PM and $8 on valerian root. buying the PM was a really bad idea and im not sure how well the valerian root works...i think it does help my brain stop thinking about stuff when im laying down...sometimes thats the reason i cant sleep and sometimes its just because my heart rate is way too freaking high during these WDs

Its now been exactly 8 days since ive been clean and last night it only took me 10 minutes to fall asleep!!! i laid down in my bed around 1AM and woke up at 7:36AM. It was a deep sleep too. I dreamt of things and everything.

how did I do it?? HOURS AND HOURS OF SUNSHINE...should have got more sunlight in the earlier days. im slightly burnt but dont mind at all. i went tubing with a bunch of people from my church down a river for a couple hours.

I FEEL GREAT TODAY... if i get another good nights sleep tonight I would say Im over these WDs. I feel like once i started sleeping regular again IM GOOD and wont have any struggles with PAWS. Im not even tempted to take pain killers ever again.

I mean seriously it stops your production of happiness. I couldnt enjoy things like tv, listening to music, videogames, others company, any activities without taking a pill. I would have no interest in any of that stuff.

now that my happiness has been restored and i find entertainment in normal activities. theres just no desire for me to turn back. I thank you all for your help..i really felt alone until i found this forum and reading all your guys stories and supporting me has helped me out tremendously...although i may have a couple nights of more difficult sleep then normal. i feel pretty much over it. i will report back still and give updates.

jd1234 added 1424 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

slept about 6 hours again. i had tons of caffeine in the morning too. its like 6 hours is the normal now...which is great. i can get a normal day out of it. still really excited to be getting 8 hours of sleep. my energy levels are near normal i can workout everyday.

Last edited by jd1234; 23-07-2012 at 16:02. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 23-07-2012, 21:47
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from United States
CrispCold probably knows what they are talking about.CrispCold probably knows what they are talking about.CrispCold probably knows what they are talking about.CrispCold probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 764, Level: 4 Points: 764, Level: 4 Points: 764, Level: 4

Keep it up JD and NEVER look back. I seem to be on a similar path, 6 hours of sleep at 6 days clean, I can't complain.

CrispCold added 1 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

I don't know how you can handle caffeine now. Coffee used to balance out the opiates, now it's like anxiety in a cup to me.

Last edited by CrispCold; 23-07-2012 at 21:47. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 29-07-2012, 08:05

Male from Earth

2 weeks clean. i am sleeping about 6-7 hours a night...things are getting normal. its great. so glad i did this. happiness is returning and natural energy is also.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:53
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from United States
CrispCold probably knows what they are talking about.CrispCold probably knows what they are talking about.CrispCold probably knows what they are talking about.CrispCold probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 764, Level: 4 Points: 764, Level: 4 Points: 764, Level: 4

How's it going jd?
Old 01-08-2012, 23:06

Male from Earth

its going great...im pretty much over everything. sleep is normal now. i have no access to any opiates which is great. theres no way for me to relapse. sure ive had thoughts of wanting it. but nothing i cant overcome easily. ill be back home in about a month and ill be ready to say no if anything does come up.

life is so much better without any pills.
Old 02-08-2012, 00:28

38 y/o Male from United States
liasion is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

Has anyone used baclofen for opiate withdrawals? I have searched high and low for sites marketing baclofen and all i seem to locate are foreign sites (Non US); can anyone direct me to a united states site for this drug as i would like to see its effects on opiate withdrawals?
Thanks for all who post some splendid information on this site!!!

Share this on: