Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > VARIOUS DRUG RELATED TOPICS > The euphoric body > Drug testing discussion
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Drug testing discussion What can you do against drug testing & more...

Old 17-07-2012, 04:07
Silver Member

Male from Earth
stuoolong is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Diphenhydramine or prozac causing false positive for benzo test - official info?

Hi all

SWIM has tested positive for benzos and may not get their dream job as a result. SWIM has not touched benzos for at least a month.

SWIM has read on this forum and elsewhere that diphenhydramine (quite commonly) and prozac (less common) may cause false positives for benzos. SWIM takes both these drugs every day. Nothing else they have taken could possibly have caused a false positive.

SWIM is aware that a GCMS test will resolve the issue, but the problem is convincing the potential employer to pay for the GCMS test. The employer does not believe that either of these drugs might cause a false positive, despite the fact that a quick google search reveals it to be common knowledge.

However, all I can find is anecdotal evidence. So my question - does anyone have links to any official information on this? Research articles, government health websites, anything like that? SWIM hopes that with such a document in hand, they might persuade the employer to pay for the GCMS test.

Post Quality Evaluations:
The use of SWIM has been discouraged on the forum for about 5 years now. See http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=SWIM for more details. :)

Last edited by stuoolong; 17-07-2012 at 04:14. Reason: typo
Old 17-07-2012, 05:30
Silver Member

44 y/o Male from USA - Massachusetts
profesor is on the way upprofesor is on the way upprofesor is on the way up
Re: Diphenhydramine or prozac causing false positive for benzo test - official info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuoolong View Post
The employer does not believe that either of these drugs might cause a false positive, despite the fact that a quick google search reveals it to be common knowledge.
I don't mean to pry, but why is this your dream job? Because, this jerk does believe in false positives, in fact he knows they happen, he would have this information from the testing lab. He just doesn't want to shell out the extra money. What do you think this guy will do when its time for a pay raise or maybe a holiday bonus? Think about job interviews as a time when you get to learn about who you will work for, not just them putting you under the microscope. This guy has just sent out a red flag-- he doesn't give a shit about you or if you really were clean or not. Now you're going to run to him begging for a second chance-- if you did get the job, he'd exploit you for all you were worth. I'd cut your losses and run the other way. I half suspect they were selling you this job as a "dream job" when the reality is a lot different. They know there's another sucker whose gonna come along and test clean, even he was really using and by chance it didn't show- they just don't care as long as appearances are good. I'm going to try and mellow out now, before I start throwing things across the room and ranting about "the Man."
Old 17-07-2012, 05:52
Silver Member

Male from Earth
Re: Diphenhydramine or prozac causing false positive for benzo test - official info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by profesor View Post
I don't mean to pry, but why is this your dream job? Because, this jerk does believe in false positives, in fact he knows they happen, he would have this information from the testing lab. He just doesn't want to shell out the extra money. What do you think this guy will do when its time for a pay raise or maybe a holiday bonus? Think about job interviews as a time when you get to learn about who you will work for, not just them putting you under the microscope. This guy has just sent out a red flag-- he doesn't give a shit about you or if you really were clean or not. Now you're going to run to him begging for a second chance-- if you did get the job, he'd exploit you for all you were worth. I'd cut your losses and run the other way. I half suspect they were selling you this job as a "dream job" when the reality is a lot different. They know there's another sucker whose gonna come along and test clean, even he was really using and by chance it didn't show- they just don't care as long as appearances are good. I'm going to try and mellow out now, before I start throwing things across the room and ranting about "the Man."
Hi Profesor, thanks for your reply. Firstly, Someone Who Isn't Me still really wants the job and would rather do everything possible to get it than just run away. We think it's completely fair to ask them to do the test, just need some backup to convince them that it's worth their while.

Second, even if SWIM wasn't that excited by the job, long unemployment and inability to pay bills means that getting work is a priority. Where we live, there are few jobs around and hoping that another one comes along soon isn't a very attractive option. There is always another sucker that comes along, so you have to tick every box - otherwise the other sucker gets the job.

Third, since SWIM is unprepared to stop taking diphenhydramine, this is bound to come up again next time they have a test.
Old 17-07-2012, 06:01
Silver Member

34 y/o Female from United States
FunkyNotAJunky is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

It sounds like your only two choices in this situation are

1. pay for the second test and maybe get the job

2. don't pay for the second test and def not get the job

The reason companies require you to pay for a second test is because false positives rarely happen.

Did you provide the MRO with a list of all prescribed and OTC drugs you take?
Old 17-07-2012, 06:23
Silver Member

Male from Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyNotAJunky View Post
It sounds like your only two choices in this situation are

1. pay for the second test and maybe get the job
Perhaps that's an option, depends on how much it costs. SWIM may look into that, but it's probably too expensive.

Quote:
2. don't pay for the second test and def not get the job

Quote:
The reason companies require you to pay for a second test is because false positives rarely happen.
Did you provide the MRO with a list of all prescribed and OTC drugs you take?
Yes, SWIM did that, even admitting to the prescribed benzo they took five - six weeks ago. Drug testing nurse said the test can be positive for up to 45 days and passed SWIM's test as they appear professional and trustworthy, but the doctor (nurse's boss) over-ruled this, insisting that their positive test means that SWIM must have had benzos in last 48 hours - therefore, failed test. Drug testing doctor has too much faith in said drug test, imho.

Last edited by stuoolong; 17-07-2012 at 06:30.
Old 21-09-2012, 04:27

23 y/o Female from United States
nthensome is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I am in drug court and they have some hxc drug tests. Panel and labs. I have been on prozac for 3 months and have never failed.
Old 31-10-2012, 04:22

Male from Earth
undecidedx is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

I'm on probation and have to piss every week. I was taking diphenhydramine every night for a while, in large doses, and testing positive for methadone. They'd send it to a lab and it'd come back clean, but the dip-stick test would come back positive for methadone. Not sure about benzos though.
Old 31-10-2012, 12:37
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United States
stryder09 is on the way upstryder09 is on the way upstryder09 is on the way up
Points: 410, Level: 3 Points: 410, Level: 3 Points: 410, Level: 3
Activity: 4.4% Activity: 4.4% Activity: 4.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuoolong View Post
Perhaps that's an option, depends on how much it costs. SWIM may look into that, but it's probably too expensive.

Yes, SWIM did that, even admitting to the prescribed benzo they took five - six weeks ago. Drug testing nurse said the test can be positive for up to 45 days and passed SWIM's test as they appear professional and trustworthy, but the doctor (nurse's boss) over-ruled this, insisting that their positive test means that SWIM must have had benzos in last 48 hours - therefore, failed test. Drug testing doctor has too much faith in said drug test, imho.

Benzodiazepines are not detectable in urine up to 45 days. Typical window of detection for most benzodiazepines in urine is 1-5 days.
Old 31-10-2012, 22:08
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

It depends on the benzo, and how the person metabolises it.

But it certainly can trigger a...er, well I guess it would be a true positive, since you really did take it.

But I was given Librium in detox once, and couldn't start Suboxone until I came up clean for benzos, and it took a month to finally piss clean for benzos - and I didn't take any other benzos at the time.

~Kailey

Share this on:

Tags
benzos, diphenhydramine, prozac