Register Tags

Notices

Old 11-07-2004, 00:19
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

glow is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
smoking heroin and overdose potential

1. can chasing/smoking heroin or brown sugar cause a fatal overdose?

Old 11-07-2004, 00:52
Platinum Member

33 y/o Male
Kemikaru_Tenshu is on the way upKemikaru_Tenshu is on the way upKemikaru_Tenshu is on the way upKemikaru_Tenshu is on the way up
Points: 439, Level: 3 Points: 439, Level: 3 Points: 439, Level: 3

Yes. Any method ofadministration can lead to an overdose if a sufficient amount of drugs are used.

This should be in the heroin forum....

~KT
Old 03-10-2005, 19:42

45 y/o Male
Be-Bop is captain of the psychonauts.Be-Bop is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 235, Level: 2 Points: 235, Level: 2 Points: 235, Level: 2
Doesn't matter how you administer the opiate, you can od with a suppository! It constantly suprises me that people think that the route of admin. makes an enormous difference...i remember a friend who, as far as i knew had recently 'cleaned up', & wasn't using..i went around to see how he was doing & there he was drinking poppy seed tea- pinned as a motherfucker- & protesting his 'cleanliness'!!! Needless to say- i was SHOCKED & appalled...well...not really...
Old 22-08-2006, 16:59
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
cz-one is a decent psychonaut.cz-one is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 325, Level: 2 Points: 325, Level: 2 Points: 325, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
I didnt think you could O/D by smoking heroin as you'd get too sedated to carry on to the point of going over,which is why they always say its the safest way to take it,whereas with iv and snorting once its been done you can only hope its not pure or poison,cause it'll hit in one go.
Old 27-08-2006, 08:57
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
Octo42o is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 222, Level: 2 Points: 222, Level: 2 Points: 222, Level: 2
OD from smoking, have to smoke alot. If SWIY on heroin, it will be no problem to keep going at it. SWIM smoked a half gram his first time on cocaine and tweak also a lil marijuana. Didnt seem to phase SWIM. Heroin is just a bitch its great when your on it, but when your coming off you wanna die. After SWIM binged for 2 weeks of Heroin, the worst headache and pain over came swim, all he could do was bury his face in a pillow and make a run to the bathroom to puke his guts out. But an OD depends on alot of factors Physical Health, Purity, what your doing, other combination of drugs, and how much is done
Old 27-08-2006, 09:23
Gold Member

Female from Earth
Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.
Points: 1,324, Level: 5 Points: 1,324, Level: 5 Points: 1,324, Level: 5
Activity: 8.9% Activity: 8.9% Activity: 8.9%
Heroin and all opiates for that tend to cause overdose by essetially replicating the endorphins, if to many of these are in the brain it can cause respiratory depression, where your breathing apparatus does not get the signals to breath as a result u quite literally are counting your breaths.administration only dictates the speed of onset.

You may find this helpful..
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...846#post139846
Old 31-08-2006, 23:56

26 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.
Points: 2,756, Level: 7 Points: 2,756, Level: 7 Points: 2,756, Level: 7
In short - YES

Fatal overdose on Heroin can be done via whatever administration. It occurs because one evetually stops breathing. See the posts above for more information.
Old 01-09-2006, 00:25
R.I.P.

Male
raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.raven3davis must live here.
Points: 1,822, Level: 6 Points: 1,822, Level: 6 Points: 1,822, Level: 6
Smoking is generally considered the safest method because of the rapid onset. Sure you can still overdose, but the chances are much less.

Smoking heroin produces a faster onset than injecting and the process is less likely to cause complications associated with using a needle. Snorting takes a lot longer to kick in so some users might so too much without realizing that their first dose was enough.

Chasing the dragon is a lot safer than injecting but most consider smoking a waste. It all depends on the purity of the product really. Some heroin is not smokable so obviously you will have to either bang it or snort it. The purity of street heroin varies between batches so no matter what route of administration you choose to go with, you should always start with a tiny amount. Fentanyl laced batches are becoming a lot more common so be safe everyone.

peace
Old 01-09-2006, 17:08

Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.Fantasian really knows their shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven3davis
Smoking is generally considered the safest method because of the rapid onset. Sure you can still overdose, but the chances are much less.

Smoking heroin produces a faster onset than injecting
I've heard this a number of times now and im very confused, How is the onset more rapid when smoking rather than injecting? Smoke must be absorbed through the alvioli in the lungs and then taken to the brain. Injection merely has to reach the brain. Could someone please correct me if im wrong but i was sure IV injection was the most rapid form of administration...

(ignoring epidural and intercranial which are slightly less heard of)
Old 02-09-2006, 00:19
Gold Member

Female from Earth
Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.
Iv injection is quickest, u wont get the same rush smoking however smoking is safer then other methouds of admin because if u feel u done to much u can stop sudddenly. where as the others u mis dose its can be dangerous

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good post!
Old 03-09-2006, 09:56
Silver Member

The way your body obsorbs the quickest goes in this order.
First is through the lungs i.e Smoking
Next is Insulfating i.e. Snorting
Third is Injection I.e. Slam
Forth is Diegestivly I.e Eating it
Fifth is Absorbtion i.e through you skin pours

So with that being said in reality Smoking something is the quickest into your brain and blood.And your burning off most of the impure chemicals and also changing the compound when you heat something up to smoke it so your not getting the full hit as if you were snorting or slammin.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Incorrect misleading information
Old 03-09-2006, 11:10
Gold Member

Female from Earth
Ok how do u make that out?
I.V injection in peritulcar of heroin is very fast and quick and condsidering herion has a short half life anyway thats why it is often injected. YOU will not get the same rush out of any other methoud you use heroin.. show me proof, fact if possible! other things like crack when smoked reach the brain and nicoteen. but no way for heroin..

Last edited by Alicia; 03-09-2006 at 11:18.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo42o
The way your body obsorbs the quickest goes in this order.
First is through the lungs i.e Smoking
Next is Insulfating i.e. Snorting
Third is Injection I.e. Slam
Forth is Diegestivly I.e Eating it
Fifth is Absorbtion i.e through you skin pours

So with that being said in reality Smoking something is the quickest into your brain and blood.And your burning off most of the impure chemicals and also changing the compound when you heat something up to smoke it so your not getting the full hit as if you were snorting or slammin.

This information i am almost sure is incorrect!

Snorting has less bioavailabilty and speed of onset than injecting.

I have also done some research on smoking and it also is slower in onset and potency than IV administration.

Smoking is NOT the quickest IV injection is the most rapid method of administration with the fastest onset and greatest bioavailablity (100%). It is also the most dangerous however that isnt the arguement here.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:33
Silver Member

SWIM took a class in Pharmacuticals. Iv might seem the fastest, but it has to travel through your blood stream before it hits the brain and is absorbed. Snorting the onset and rush isn't the same cus your body only absorbs about 30% of what you really snort, most of the product insulfated is dripped down to your digestive system. Smoking it takes 10-15 seconds to hit you. SWIM understands you think that, Cause swim thought so to. When smoking/freebasing, your changing the chemical make up of the substance so its not going to be the same effects/onset as if you IVed it.
Just to make the statement more clear.
It was just a general statement of how your body absorbs foreign substances.

SWIM made a mistake posting it here, forgot the topic, was ODing on heroin.

Last edited by Octo42o; 07-09-2006 at 11:38.
Old 07-09-2006, 17:38
Palladium Member

Male from Netherlands
WrtngCocaineTutorial probably knows what they are talking about.WrtngCocaineTutorial probably knows what they are talking about.WrtngCocaineTutorial probably knows what they are talking about.WrtngCocaineTutorial probably knows what they are talking about.WrtngCocaineTutorial probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 2,358, Level: 7 Points: 2,358, Level: 7 Points: 2,358, Level: 7
SWIM thought of something.
If a person lives on the countryside. with no hospital or narcan in reach.

Would it help to put speed in the nose of a person who'd OD'd on heroin?
Old 07-09-2006, 23:36
Gold Member

Female from Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrtngCocaineTutorial
SWIM thought of something.
If a person lives on the countryside. with no hospital or narcan in reach.

Would it help to put speed in the nose of a person who'd OD'd on heroin?
Most likely no, due to the stress on the heart, having said that swia can see where your coming from in keeping the person awake so to speak...
Old 08-09-2006, 08:01
Silver Member

SWIM agrees that it prob wouldnt work, it might make matters worse.

SWIM took some OC after being up for a couple days on shit. He was lying there having a good time, all of a sudden he would catch himself not breathing and gasping for air. Is that a sign of an OD similar to heroin? Its heroin, just sythetic.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:24

Male
Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.
Points: 2,192, Level: 7 Points: 2,192, Level: 7 Points: 2,192, Level: 7
oc is a bit different than heroin, chemically its more similar to thebaine, not morphine. but that is indeed a sign of dangerous levels of the drug, octo. the gasping for air is caused by respiratory depression, in essence the body "forgets" to breathe. in the case of those events it helps to have a person there making sure swiy is staying awake, and to call for help if needed.

dont think the speed thing would work either. swim could see why someone would arrive at that conclusion but it'd be bad for the heart, and swim is not sure that the speed would stimulate breathing like one would need. CPR would probably work better.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:36
Silver Member

Is it possible to be allergic to opiates and if so would it contribute to an OD? Meaning lower doses are more deadly then if someone who isnt.

Swim did do a line of crank when the respiratory depression stared, SWIMs heart doesnt jump when doin crystal. SWIM just reminded himself to keep breathing, prob being a paranoid tweaker helped the situation thinking of being so close to death.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:37
Palladium Member

Male from Netherlands
WrtngCocaineTutorial probably knows what they are talking about.WrtngCocaineTutorial probably knows what they are talking about.WrtngCocaineTutorial probably knows what they are talking about.WrtngCocaineTutorial probably knows what they are talking about.WrtngCocaineTutorial probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 2,358, Level: 7 Points: 2,358, Level: 7 Points: 2,358, Level: 7
SWIm wasn't thinking about awake/not awake. Although it might be a point.
he was thinking about the lethal thing about herion overdose is that breathing gets so slow it stops. And side effects from much methamphetamine can be rapid breathing
Old 08-09-2006, 18:21

Male
Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.Forthesevenlakes really knows their shit.
Points: 2,192, Level: 7 Points: 2,192, Level: 7 Points: 2,192, Level: 7
octo, it IS in fact possible to be allergic to opiates. swim hears its rare but that it can happen. in fact, allergies can naturally occur to just about everything. it just depends how certain antigens that are randomly made in the body bind to different structures.

as for it contributing to an OD, well, some people do have trouble breathing during an allergic reaction. this is due to their throat swelling (swim thinks, but he has only witnessed one reaction where this occured.) so, that could have contributed to the "feeling" of an OD, or if there truly was an OD, it wouldnt have helped...

and allergies can be deadly anyway, with or without an OD. lower doses could potentially cause this, so use caution!

however, swims immunology is a bit rusty and maybe someone else could explain more.
Old 05-03-2010, 14:25

36 y/o Male from Turkey
KS78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Re: smoking heroin and overdose potential

It's definitely possible to OD via smoking but it's a much safer route of administration than IV and intranasal route; smoking it with tobacco, just like a joint is a really very inefficient way to use diamorphine so I believe it is probably the safest method.
The main way to stay safe while chasing (just like any other ROA with Heroin) is to not combine other substances with Heroin. Especially downers (Benzodiazepines, barbiturates, alcohol, GHB,..) amplify the effects of the drug in case of polydrug use. It could stop your breathing. On the other hand, in combination with stimulants, it puts extra strain on the cardiovascular system. This may cause heart attacks, irregular heart beats, etc.
As long as, one starts out with a reasonable amount (different for everybody, depending on many variables like tolerance to the drug, purity of the drug, location of the use, age, sex,...), smoking heroin is much safer than IV and intranasal especially because of the rapid intoxication (more chance to titrate the dose as one goes along).

And this is the order that Route of Administration goes from the quickest down:
1-Smoking
2-IV
3-Intramuscular & Intranasal
4-Swallowing
Old 08-03-2010, 14:53
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline
Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9
Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0%

I'm thinking that it'd be very, very difficult to have a fatal overdose through smoking heroin. Due to the nature of that route of administration (smoking a line, then another line, only taking as much in one go as your lungs can hold) I reckon you'd be much more likely to nod off (and so be unable to continue smoking) before you actually overdosed.

The reason why it is so easy to overdose when injecting is because you are putting a whole load of drug into your body in one go. Same goes for snorting - it is still possible to overdose when snorting heroin, but it is not nearly as dangerous as injecting.

But back to smoking, I think whilst theoretically possible, it would be rather unlikely for someone to suffer a fatal overdose through this route of administration.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of someone OD-ing through smoking heroin?

H
Old 08-03-2010, 15:37
Banned

Male
G-spotter is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1

(...)

Last edited by G-spotter; 28-03-2010 at 10:38. Reason: Pfff!
Old 08-03-2010, 18:06
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
Helene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline MedlineHelene must mainline Medline
Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9 Points: 4,161, Level: 9
Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spotter View Post
Both Pussy and Hippo think that smoking is a waste
Whilst this may be true for the "H4" heroin hydrochloride commonly available in the USA, for "H3" heroin salt (as commonly found in the UK and Europe) smoking is likely to be more effective than snorting. From what I've gathered, H4 isn't really designed to be smoked, and tends to burn up and frazzle. As it's water soluble, snorting it is quite effective. H3 gear is much better suited to smoking, and (if smoked properly) one will be able to run many lines from 0.1g. As H3 is not water soluble (hence one having to add an acid such a citric or vitamin c to it in order to IV) it is likely to be less readily absorbed nasally, and so snorting will not give as great an effect.

H

Share this on:

Tags
dose of heroin, heroin administration, heroin overdose, heroin snort, route of administration, smoking heroin, snorting drugs, snorting heroin