Register Tags

Notices

Old 06-06-2012, 22:51

Male from United States
greenpanther is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1 Points: 57, Level: 1
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%
Adderall vs Vyvanse (Pick one)

AFOAF (SWIM) is prescribed 30mg Adderall IR + 30mg Adderall XR monthly.
  • XR: He loves the high, and how the 30mg XR lasts a good 5 hours (longer would be better).
  • IR: He doesn't care much for the IR, which he only uses for snorting.
  • He doesn't care much about the dietary effects (lack of hunger).
Upon research, he thinks vyvanse is the new and improved, but still doesn't know weather it's better than Adderall.
  1. Is vyvanse like Adderall IR (no beads, just a solid powder)?
  2. What XXmg Vyvanse dosage would approx. be the strength of a 30mg Adderall IR?
  3. What are the differences (duration & max high) in snorting Adderall IR vs Vyvanse?
  4. Should SWIM switch the 30mg Adderall IR for XXmg Vyvanse?
Thanks!
Old 06-06-2012, 23:42
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from United States
JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.JJ1234 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2 Points: 286, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Adderall vs Vyvanse (Pick one)

Adderall is a mixed isomers amphetamine. I think it is 75% D-Amphetamine and 25% L-Amphetamine. It is okay, but I don't like the L isomer because of the tweaky side effects.

Vyvanse is Lisdexamfetamine. Lisdexamfetamine is a prodrug. The only effective way to take it is orally. It turns into D-Amphetamine(Dexedrine) after it goes through the stomach I believe. It is VERY nice in my opinion.

70mg of Lisdexamfetamine(Vyvanse) is = to 40mg D-Amphetamine roughly. The thing is with Vyvanse is how it hits you and the length of effects. It starts to take effect 30-60 minutes after taking. After first effects you come up for 4 hours or so. Then plateau for 4 more. Then gently comedown for 2-4 more hours. It is a wonderful thing if not abused.

I would say that a 70mg Vyvanse is equal to 2-30mg Adderall taken 4 hours apart IMO. I prefer Vyvanse because of the lack of the L isomer. To each their own though.

So if 30mg of Adderall XR is nice for you, then 40-50mg Vyvanse once daily might bee better. If you like the effects but they aren't strong enough, just let the doctor know and they can bump you up to 70mg. BTW, don't take more than once per day, unless you need to bee up for overnight through the next day.
Old 06-06-2012, 23:57
Silver Member

Male from United States
Chris120 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1

In a nutshell, many would prefer Adderall in many ways. Vyvanse is 100% D-amphetamine salts, and Adderall is a mixture of different types of amphetamine salts along with some D-amphetamine salts too. The main difference is basically a trade-off: Adderall is stronger with higher chance of bad side effects, and Vyvanse is weaker but has a smaller chance of bad side effects. Also, Vyvanse lasts longer (up to 14 hours), but usually doesn't produce the same level of high. The main purpose of Vyvanse was to create a very close ADHD drug to Adderall for people who experience too many bad side effects with Adderall. So all in all, you get much more bang for your buck keeping Adderall, as Adderall is more powerful and costs less; while Vyvanse is less powerful and costs more (since its a new drug).

Source:http://www.healthresource4u.com/adhd...e-effects.html
Old 16-06-2012, 22:42
Mercury Member

33 y/o Male from United States
Shwags needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%

Vyvanse is smoother. A more gradual onset, more gradual come-down, and in my experience less pronounced side-effects. It is not possible to snort Vyvanse. Well, it is, but it won't do anything different than when you eat it, because it is a pro-drug that turns into amphetamine when it is metabolized during ingestion, there is really no way to abuse it any other route of admininstration will either have little effect or the same as ingestion.

It last long, about as long as addie XR but with a much smoother come-down. Its not as strong a buzz, especially regarding physical aspects. Its powder in a capsule. I started it recently and I love it, as I daily medication I find it superior to adderall. Equally effective, smoother, less side-effects. That has been my experience.
Old 25-07-2012, 18:28

Male from United States
eric.a.lynch should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

SWIM was just recently prescribed 30mg Adderall (IR) for his ADHD. He had taken Vyvanse in the past, and experienced extreme irritability along with insomnia. Plus he thought the price for the Vyvanse was outrageous. The IR Adderral felt better when sniffed, and orally wasn't as much of a euphoric rush, but it did alleviate his attention issues. SWIM is experiencing very relaxing effects, and he notices he is talking more than average, but not to the point of grandiose nonsense which he experienced with the Vyvanse. He is experiencing minor teeth grinding along with a little jaw clenching, but he will have Artane tomorrow which may lessen the severity of these side effects. The buxism like side-effects he has with the Adderall is by far less agonizing than when he used MDPV. Vyvanse did not cause these effects in him.

So in SWIM's case, he would rather have his mind straight with the Adderall, and experience minor discomfort with facial tics rather than to endure the psychological harm to him caused by Vyvanse.

eric.a.lynch added 11 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

Bruxism I mean, typo.

Last edited by eric.a.lynch; 25-07-2012 at 18:28. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 25-07-2012, 18:40
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Impure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way up
Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Adderall definitely, as (non-Desoxyn) pharmaceutical amphetamines go Dexedrine/Dextrostat are the best by far, but between lisdexamfetamine and mixed amphetamine salts I would rather take the MAS any day of the week. I've been prescribed both and due to my tolerance vyvanse might as well have been a placebo.
Old 25-07-2012, 19:53
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

22 y/o Male from United States
thecomedown is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

1. Yes, Vyvanse is a solid powder. It's not a pill, though. It's solid powder in a capsule. It's slightly difficult to open without spilling it - unlike Adderall XR.
2. Vyvanse's high dosage numbers (max dosage is 70 mg) are so high compared to Adderall XR because it is a prodrug and thus has lysine attached to the d-amphetamine molecules. The body must cleave the lysine off before metabolizing the d-amphetamine; thus resulting in a longer, smoother, and more potent effect. The conversion between Vyvanse to amphetamine is 0.2948, meaning that 70 mg of Vyvanse is 20.636 mg of d-amphetamine.

Note: Vyvanse works significantly differently than Adderall IR. Not only is it not released immediately, but when it is finally released, it is extremely slow and much smoother. I personally have been prescribed Adderall XR/IR and now am on Vyvanse - I don't like the way Vyvanse feels. You can't tell when it's working anymore. Some people enjoy this - others don't.

3. The duration is miniscule in comparison to Vyvanse. On the other hand, the high is much more attainable and more potent. Vyvanse was created solely to be unabusable - and it is. The only way to use it recreationally would be to take more or to use a relatively complex chemical process to remove the lysine/prodrug effect, but then you might as well be taking Dexedrine.

4. It depends if SWIM wants to use it recreationally or academically. Academically, Vyvanse will probably be the best option; however, I don't think it'd be a good idea to take 70 mg Vyvanse and 30 mg Adderall XR daily. Anyone would deplete neurotransmitters very quickly that way, not to mention be wired for at least 12 hours.
Old 26-07-2012, 08:14
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Impure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way up
Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Wow, I feel kinda dumb for just quickly skimming the OP before posting, had I read it well I would have answered the questions asked. Luckily thecomedown's post below mine takes care of that nearly perfectly.

I would just clarify (since thecomedown alternately says both are in #2 and #3) that in general Adderall is the more potent of the two Also according to Shire pharmaceuticals (the company that makes brand-name Adderall) the duration of Adderall XR is 12 hours, which I believe is only 2 hours below their claims for the duration of Vyvanse. Which you must take into account as Vyvanse can take up to 2 hours for it's effects to being in some people which is between 3-4 times that of Adderall.

Finally about your #3 greenpanther, Vyvanse is only active after it reaches the bloodstream, and it's designed to not be very soluable in water, and since good soluablility in water is required for insufflation to work, Vyvanse is really only good for

(Just a little aside I noticed while doing some research earlier today. I read the study they did to determine lisdexamfetamine was less addictive than normal d-amphetamine, and something caught my eye. In the study they administered I.V. d-amp in 10mg and 20mg doses as well as I.V. vyvanse in 25mg and 50mg (equivalent to 7.37mg and 14.74mg of d-amp respectively) doses compared to placebo. And this was part of their conclusion, "20 mg of d-amphetamine showed significantly increased abuse-related liking scores compared with placebo (P < 0.05), whereas the liking effects of 50 mg LDX did not significantly differ from placebo. " With a difference of over 5mg between the two, it isn't surprising they got scores at least .05 points higher on average on their scale.)

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good eye in spotting possible skewing of scientific conclusions based on dose misequivalencies.
Old 26-07-2012, 09:29

Male from United States
adamb34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

First of all, if you enjoy the high from the XR Adderrall, (which is best in the morning after a good night's sleep and a good meal), then you definitely will not like Vyvanse.

I tried Vyannsse once, at large enough dosages to be able to tell a difference. I did feel like I could concentrate on the Vyvanse, but I never felt any kind of high. I mean I noticed that my pulse was a bit faster, but other than that nothing.

Adderrall gives a "high" that is fairly intense and almost euphoric. There is a reason Adderrall is very addictive- it's good stuff. Personally, I haven't met anyone who prefers Vyvanse over Adderrall. In my opinion, there is nothing better than a 30mgXR and a 30 instant release addy right after waking up. You definitely feel ready to take on the world!

I was under the impression that doctors began prescribing Vyvanse partly because of the wide-spread abuse of adderrall. Also, Vyvanse was presented as a safer alternative. I definitely would not want my Adderrall changed, for sure.
Old 06-08-2012, 20:48
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
pharmycologist is learning how to become a psychonaut.

My pet hamster has tried both (his PA is easy on him) and he would say that Vyvanse at doses 60-70mg (70 is the highest) gets his vote big time! His one friend is also prescribed it and somehow gets 90mg a day, anything above that needs monthly heart scans or some BS. Vyvanse lasts all day, is not up and down like most amps, and is a lot less known! Which for some reason my pet hamster likes. Of course if you'd rather abuse it than Vyvanse is (almost) out of the question.
Old 17-08-2012, 18:34
Silver Member

Male from United States
AwesomeNarwhal is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 129, Level: 1 Points: 129, Level: 1 Points: 129, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

All chemistry aside, from pure experience my cat would vote on adderall. More of a rush, and a much more elevated feeling. Vyvanse didn't do much for my cat when he was prescribed it; in fact, it actually made him angry! 50mg or 100mg of vyvanse, neither do much for my cat besides give him the body buzz. 40mg - 80mg of Addy XR though, that's where the party is - get the best of both worlds.
Old 21-08-2012, 21:52
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

33 y/o Male from United States
thecatinthehat is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%

Swim agrees and he agrees their are some perks to the new Vvyanse however for all intensive purposes he will have to vote adderall.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:23
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
Vais120 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

h
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatinthehat View Post
for all intensive purposes
Nice word play. (I know "useless quote")

Anyway after doing 100mg of vyvanse today and having a long history with recreational adderall and, -amines in general, I would have to lean for the adderall for recreational use for most users because it is a more intense high especially since you can shoot it. (I'm not suggesting you shoot any drug just personal experience ect ect.) However to be honest if the recreational based dosage were comparable I'd pick the Vyvanse for a couple reasons. Here they are.

The crash is first foremost a crash so it blows. It is a more gradual comedown vs adderall though and as a stimulant freak this is a major selling point for me. (Probably why I liked meth so much, you can put off he crash for a week at a time)

The high has a much longer onset for full effects but when it finally hit it was suprisingly strong for that dose. (I really didn't expect much though) It also lasted longer and plateued for a good 3-4 hours instead of a quick peak then drop, which I found appealing.

It was altogether a more relaxed pleasent high if that makes any sense for a stimulant. (I think my fellow stim fans will get this.) It did overall great job at avoiding the anxiety and tension that I feel on adderall. A little bit for the last couple hours of a 10 hour high isn't bad in my opinion.

It didn't make me all jittery and shit like adds. The reasons for this are stated in posts above I don't understand enough to talk about it and I'm far too lazy to quote. All you really need to know is there is mostly no jittery tweaker nonsense. (I did clench my jaw a bit.)

I dunno I just find the gentle-by-comparison Vyvanse more suited to my taste so far but I have only done a small amount this once so that's all I'm going on. Like I said I did 100mg and to me personally it felt about equal to 60-70 mg of adderalll XR snorted. I know you have your formulas and shit I'm just giving my personal opinion, what it felt like to me, and what I've been comparing it to. However I would like to point out they are two different highs allbeit similar and no matter how much the apple looks like the orange it really comes down to taste.

I am really excited to try Vyvanse in higher dosages and experiment a little. I am a recovering meth addict and personally I believe this brought me closer to that same high. Certainly not in intensity but in the way the high progressed and felt after onset. I would be very interested to hear from any other current or recovering tweakers who have tried Vyvanse with thoughts or opinions on this.

In closing I would just like to say what an awesome place this is that I can come and research a drug before I try it and then come back and share my experience and swap knowledge.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Well written, detailed and informative post. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-10-2013, 13:12

Male from United States
Kizersozay is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1

This.

Good post, man. You nailed it exactly.

For me, the magic dose is around 80 - 100mg. Anything more than that is trouble. i.e. insomnia, anxiety, headaches, irritability, etc.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, vyvanse