Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Amphetamine
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Amphetamine Amphetamine AKA speed

Old 06-06-2012, 18:18
Banned

Male from United States
SwampFox56 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Effects of mixing Adderall and Trazadone?

Around a month ago I was prescribed Adderall XR 30MG for ADD, constanstantly being tired, depression, and other issues. Before I was prescribed Addie's I was also prescribed two other drugs; Zoloft, and Trazodone. Zoloft is an anti-anxiety, and anti-depressiant drug, I'm not too worried about that as I have found that while on the Adderall I'm not depressed or feel anxiety at all, so I've stopped taking that regularly. However a drug that I'm still using is Trazodone. Trazodone (from what my doctor has told me) is a very old drug. It was one of the original anti-depressants. One of the major side effects of Trazodone is extreme drowsyness. Taken in low doses (50-100MG) it doesn't do anything but make you REALLY tired. You know that extreme drowsy feeling you get when you smoke weed? Trazodone feels like that (a little more intense) without the high feeling.

Anyways now that I've probably bored you to death with some background info. My question is, how bad is it for me to take a stimulant, and a depressiant all in the same day? (Adderall and Trazodone) And while the other one is still active?

I would just attempt to fall asleep while on the Adderall. But while I'm still feeling its effects I cannot sleep at all.
Old 06-06-2012, 18:43
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Ellisdeee must live here.Ellisdeee must live here.Ellisdeee must live here.Ellisdeee must live here.Ellisdeee must live here.Ellisdeee must live here.Ellisdeee must live here.
Points: 970, Level: 4 Points: 970, Level: 4 Points: 970, Level: 4
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%
Re: Effects of mixing Adderall and Trazadone?

The only answer you should really take with more than a grain of salt is your doctors regarding the interactions. Actually, even pharmacies often can help with drug interactions, just a less personal level. You are taking these meds for legit reasons it seems like. You should get advice from a doctor on when to take them all throughout your days and what is reasonable and what isn't. It isn't about whether anyone on here can be right or wrong, you shouldn't look to a message board for this sort of advice. This is what your doctor and pharmacy is for and their answer would be way more reputable than some internet d00d telling you "ya you can mix those, I know someone who has, I've done it before, I've read that it's safe etc."

This is even more complex than someone coming here asking about recreational combinations. You are talking about recommended advice and possible method for taking legit medications you may need. That is what your doctor is there for, to tell you the proper way to dose and maintain treatment plans for the meds he gives you. This is not a question for the internets if you want a good answer that matters in regards to *you*. The risks of drugs can also be very pivotal on more personal circumstances we are unaware of. Past medication reactions, genetics/family history, etc etc. I'll end this short before I bore you to death but seriously, though I am sure someone will come here and try to give an explicit answer, you shouldn't even be relying - er scratch that - looking on a message board for this. Even if you are using us as a second opinion, a getting a second opinion on these matters from this type of source, is a bad way to get a second opinion. I have a pretty confident answer, but there is also things I do not know about you and I can't act pretentious enough to fill the role your doctor would and advise you what is/isn't okay in regards to taking your prescription meds and *avoid* areas for.

To be a little light-hearted, it is one of the comedic employments the series House M.D. makes. The patients who come into the hospital and tell the doctors what they read on the internet. As House might say "well, if the answer was on the internet then we wouldn't be doing any of this." It's the writers way of saying the internet is a god-awful replacement for information we would have gotten from our personal doctors without its presence at all. Information is good, but there is some information you should still seek professional avenues for while *avoiding* others.

Just my 2c.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Truly insightful with an appropriate response and even better advice.

Last edited by Ellisdeee; 06-06-2012 at 18:50.
Old 07-06-2012, 22:22
Banned

Male from United States

Thanks for the great awnser

I totally agree with you. My doctor would definetly have the awnser, but Unfortunaetly I am unable to see him until late next month. With that being said, even though I'm sure the majority of the people on this forum probably won't have the awnser, has anyone ever taken both of these drugs and had issues?
Old 07-06-2012, 22:40
Potter Potter is nu online
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,134, Level: 20 Points: 19,134, Level: 20 Points: 19,134, Level: 20
Activity: 62.5% Activity: 62.5% Activity: 62.5%

I took trazadone a few times and thought it was utter crap. Not recreational and not unlike a blow to the head for sleep, sure you pass out, but it's not worth it.

No, there shouldn't be any risk, but it isn't something you should do more then once or twice a month. Trazadone is a lousy sleep substituted.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:44
Banned

Male from United States

I don't disagree with the fact that it feels like a blow to the head (it definetly does!) but it really does help me falls asleep, and stay asleep. But since you say it's crap, what would you recommend for sleeping?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:48
Potter Potter is nu online
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,134, Level: 20 Points: 19,134, Level: 20 Points: 19,134, Level: 20
Activity: 62.5% Activity: 62.5% Activity: 62.5%

hard labor.

Not kidding, the only thing I have ever found that gave me real rest. Sleep drugs are fine to reset the body and set your self up for a proper rest the next night, but without burning energy to the body is suppsoed to every day
Old 30-06-2012, 12:30
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Female from United States
AdderallAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

My friend's doc has prescribed her both Adderall and Trazodone, so I know that it's a safe combination. Don't take more than 50 - 100 mgs of the Trazodone, though, just to be on the safe side.

Trazodone was giving my friend a major hangover everytime she used it, so her doc switched her to Vistaril, which doesn't make you pass out hard core like Trazodone, but there's none of that achy feeling in the head in the morning, so it's probably worth it.
Old 15-07-2012, 00:10

28 y/o Male from United States
nuggs313 needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Really no one posted about what trazadone does in the brain in comparison to adderall, trazadone is an antipsychotic that works on dopamine just like seroquil and will hinder if not completely block the effects of amps
Old 15-07-2013, 01:30
Banned

Male from United States

It's been over a year since this post, and even though I hate to bump an old thread, I thought this deserved an update.

Trazodone (trade name Desyrel) is a very old antidepressant of the Tricyclic class. Trazodone is actually not an antipsychotic due to the fact that it has no effects on Dopamine or Epinephrine. It does, however, antagonize Alpha adrenergic receptors which is the primary binding site's for Norepinephrine and therefore has considerable Antiadrenergic effects.

Trazodone is also a potent Serotonin reuptake inhibitor and Serotonin antagonist. This can help mood stabilization as well as depression, and will also, therefore, reduce the SRI effects of Amphetamine.

Trazodone is also a potent anticholinergic and antihistaminergic drug. Along side the antiadrenergic effects, this is what causes much of the sedation and hypnotic effects that result from Trazodone use. Which is the reason why Trazodone is so oftenly used as an Rx sleep aid. But I digress...

Mixing Adderall and Trazodone would be a waste of both drugs. Trazodone would remove all stimulation associated with Adderall due to it's antiadrenergic, anticholinergic, antiserotonergic and antihistaminergic effects. However, Trazodone could therefore be very useful for an Adderall comedown and could be used as such.

great update, this is the perfect post for bringing up an old thread.

Last edited by SwampFox56; 15-07-2013 at 07:38.
Old 16-07-2013, 03:05

23 y/o Male from United States
Smeegal is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Yup, I'd suggest against this mix. I hate the way trazadone makes you feel. Hearts racing, jittery, scatterbrained...no thanks. Usually adderall gets you on a good level. Mixing these would be dangerous for the heart big time.
Old 17-07-2013, 04:43
Banned

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeegal View Post
Yup, I'd suggest against this mix. I hate the way trazodone makes you feel. Hearts racing, jittery, scatterbrained...no thanks. Usually adderall gets you on a good level. Mixing these would be dangerous for the heart big time.
......actually; mixing these, if you're going through amphetamine toxicity could save your life. Trazodone is ANTIadrenic, ANTIserotonergic, ANTIcholinergic, and ANTIhistaminergic. Due to the fact that Trazodone DECREASES the amount of available epinephrine (adrenaline) and acetylcholine, it would actually slow down your heart rather than speed it up.

Although, now that I think about it, anticholinergics increase heart rate.....the decrease in adrenaline, histamine, and serotonin would still probably cause your heart to slow, but I guess it wouldn't be impossible for your heart to speed up...

Last edited by SwampFox56; 21-07-2013 at 00:16.
Old 17-10-2013, 17:55
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from Canada
fotia is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 227, Level: 2 Points: 227, Level: 2 Points: 227, Level: 2
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

Hey,

Nice theories about the heart slowing down, SwampFox... but.... Tachycardia is a well-known side effect of trazodone. I think trazodone is a pretty good drug. I wouldn't say it's the best for sleep but it helps. I think it works good in conjunction with some other meds. It can make you feel better the next day (after the night of taking it) if you have depression or anxiety.

However, on this person here, heart rate goes up to about 160 BPM at times due to taking this med. I've had to discontinue it before, and I might have to again due to this effect. I must reiterate this is a well known side effect of trazodone. Also this is a well known side effect of Amphetamines. So while there doesn't exist an actual drug interaction, for example listed on [drug database website] or rehearsed by the doctor, I do believe there is a propensity for the additive side effects of both drugs to add up to possible cardiovascular issues, especially in those with a pre-existing condition and in those who are sensitive to those specific side effects.
Old 21-10-2013, 17:47
Banned

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotia View Post
Hey,

Nice theories about the heart slowing down, SwampFox... but.... Tachycardia is a well-known side effect of trazodone. I think trazodone is a pretty good drug. I wouldn't say it's the best for sleep but it helps. I think it works good in conjunction with some other meds. It can make you feel better the next day (after the night of taking it) if you have depression or anxiety.

However, on this person here, heart rate goes up to about 160 BPM at times due to taking this med. I've had to discontinue it before, and I might have to again due to this effect. I must reiterate this is a well known side effect of trazodone. Also this is a well known side effect of Amphetamines. So while there doesn't exist an actual drug interaction, for example listed on [drug database website] or rehearsed by the doctor, I do believe there is a propensity for the additive side effects of both drugs to add up to possible cardiovascular issues, especially in those with a pre-existing condition and in those who are sensitive to those specific side effects.
To be fair, drugs affect everyone differently. So not everyone will have hypertension issues with Trazodone. However, you're correct.

That is a known side-effect of Trazodone and it's actually common of most Antimuscarinic drugs. The Serotonin reuptake inhibition probably doesn't help either. So yes, it can cause heart issues. Just make sure you talk to your doctor before using it and I'm sure you'll be fine.

that wntire post is directly above your post, there is no need to quote it. Simply address people by name

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, trazadone, trazodone high

Sitelinks: Information: