Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Downers addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Downers addiction Support for coping with benzodiazepine, barbiturate, and sedative-hypnotic drug addiction and downers addiction treatment.

Old 03-06-2012, 14:10
Silver Member

Male from United States
pillpopper96743 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 263, Level: 2 Points: 263, Level: 2 Points: 263, Level: 2
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%
xanax withdrawal: what to expect?

Hey guys,

So my friend was prescribed xanax for CSA and anxiety from morphine abuse about four months ago. Hes kicked the morphine since then and now hes planning on stopping the xanax also to be totally clean by the end of the month. What can he expect from a .75 a day schedule of xanax? He is currently taking .25mgs every 8 hours and stays up for most of the day, so .75 is his usual intake.

He thinks that the xanax use is causing his CSA and breathing problems and wants to quit ASAP. Any advice or information is appreciated

Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 15:16
Silver Member

Male from Earth
reef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way up
Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%
Re: xanax withdrawal: what to expect?

Reduce your total daily dose by .25mg every 7 days. That means you start now by taper down to 0.5mg a day for the next 7 days, and then you do 0.25mg for 7 days and then that's it. It's best to switch to Diazepam cause it's the best benzo to use if you want to get off benzos, but seeing your Xanax dose is low (not even 1mg a day) I don't think this might be necessary.

When you start the 0.5mg phase you can take 0.25mg twice a day, which would be a total of 0.5mg. The tricky part is gonna be when you taper down to 0.25mg, I don't know if you can split those 0.25mg into two 0.125mg separate doses, otherwise just take it once a day when you feel it's best (probably at night to sleep).

You might feel some withdrawals but they will probably be mild since your dose is low, tapering off any benzo will cause at least a few withdrawal symptoms at some point, and with Xanax is more likely to give you withdrawals because it's short lasting, so between your doses you might get some anxiety, this would be the interdose withdrawals.

If you want to quit now cold turkey, I would say it's not the best idea, but it's doable. I can't tell you the intensity of the withdrawals because I haven't done cold turkey in such low doses.
Old 03-06-2012, 16:20
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef88 View Post
Reduce your total daily dose by .25mg every 7 days. That means you start now by taper down to 0.5mg a day for the next 7 days, and then you do 0.25mg for 7 days and then that's it. It's best to switch to Diazepam cause it's the best benzo to use if you want to get off benzos, but seeing your Xanax dose is low (not even 1mg a day) I don't think this might be necessary.

When you start the 0.5mg phase you can take 0.25mg twice a day, which would be a total of 0.5mg. The tricky part is gonna be when you taper down to 0.25mg, I don't know if you can split those 0.25mg into two 0.125mg separate doses, otherwise just take it once a day when you feel it's best (probably at night to sleep).

You might feel some withdrawals but they will probably be mild since your dose is low, tapering off any benzo will cause at least a few withdrawal symptoms at some point, and with Xanax is more likely to give you withdrawals because it's short lasting, so between your doses you might get some anxiety, this would be the interdose withdrawals.

If you want to quit now cold turkey, I would say it's not the best idea, but it's doable. I can't tell you the intensity of the withdrawals because I haven't done cold turkey in such low doses.

What dose have you cold turkey detoxed from thats the closest to 1mg and what happened? Was it do-able?

And I think ill take your advice into consideration, seeing that I started off at 1.25mg a day and havent noticed any real bad anxiety or withdrawals throughout the days ive tapered. Except occasional lethargy and very mild chills (similar to late stage opioid withdrawal).
Old 03-06-2012, 17:57
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from USA - Minnesota
Emin is captain of the psychonauts.Emin is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 299, Level: 2 Points: 299, Level: 2 Points: 299, Level: 2
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

I went the CT route due to being in a mental ward and them not giving me my clonazepam (Klonopin) (1mg 3x day... But I was taking up to five along with alprazolam (Xanax)) I can tell you that it was hellish but not as bad as I thought. It lasted about two weeks with feelings of my bones creeping out of my skin and just general agitation towards the world.

Jumping off of not even 1mg of alprazolam a day should not be hard, but should not be something to be taken lightly. Everyone's body is different. Just be sure to keep in touch with your doctor through it all.

Good luck, I've been there so many times. You'll make it.

-Emin
Old 03-06-2012, 18:57
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emin View Post
I went the CT route due to being in a mental ward and them not giving me my clonazepam (Klonopin) (1mg 3x day... But I was taking up to five along with alprazolam (Xanax)) I can tell you that it was hellish but not as bad as I thought. It lasted about two weeks with feelings of my bones creeping out of my skin and just general agitation towards the world.

Jumping off of not even 1mg of alprazolam a day should not be hard, but should not be something to be taken lightly. Everyone's body is different. Just be sure to keep in touch with your doctor through it all.

Good luck, I've been there so many times. You'll make it.

-Emin

Thanks. Ive withdrawaln from opiates/oids more times than I care to remember (15-20, 10 of which being heavy), but never xanax. I find that I get agitated/anxious when I skip a dose or avoid it as long as possible. The physical symptoms I can handle with ease, but the mental side effects are a different story. When WDing from opioids, I get agitated and get a little emotional: Too sympathetic, too optimistic, depressed, very little anxiety etc (basially bipolar disorder). But with xanax or other benzos, I have no experience in at all with anything over 16-20 hours and what the timeline is with a dose this low. Im not too worried about the high dose seizures, but aside from skin crawling, insomnia, increased anxiety and agitation, what else can I expect when withdrawling from .75 mg of xanax?

Ive been through hell and back with pain meds so im expecting the symptoms wont be anything I cnt really handle. Shits just tough right now and I need to get prepared for something like this. When I jump into things like detoxing where serious commitment and preparation is required, I usually fail.
Old 03-06-2012, 20:30
Silver Member

Male from Earth
reef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way up
Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpopper96743 View Post
What dose have you cold turkey detoxed from thats the closest to 1mg and what happened? Was it do-able?

And I think ill take your advice into consideration, seeing that I started off at 1.25mg a day and havent noticed any real bad anxiety or withdrawals throughout the days ive tapered. Except occasional lethargy and very mild chills (similar to late stage opioid withdrawal).
Well I was taking over 4mg a day and I was also using recreationally so there were nights where I would black out and take +10mg in that same night. That time when I quit cold turkey, the last time I used Xanax was a recreational black out with over 15mg of Xanax. Withdrawals were tough, I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, I was extremely anxious and all I could think was "jesus fucking christ I want this feeling to be gone" over and over every second of the day for about 8 days when I finally felt that I was feeling better. All I did while withdrawing was laying on bed watching TV, trying to sink into the movies I watched or TV series in order to partially forget that I was feeling like shit. This was one of the worst experiences of my life not because of the withdrawal symptoms (which were so fucking annoying), the worst part is that I got some social anxiety afterwards, I was always thinking everyone was looking at me, it was awful. Finally, I became extremely shy and kind of awkward, I've always been shy, but doing cold turkey from such high doses of Xanax made it a lot worse. So I decided to use Xanax again, only in social situations, it allowed me to get a girlfriend and make some friends, then I found myself being addicted to it, having to taper down every now and then (I set my limit to 4mg, as soon as I reached that limit, I tapered down all the way to 0mg) but as soon as I tapered down I went back up again. Finally I met a psydoc that gave me Sertraline for 6 months and took me off Xanax. Now my social anxiety is gone.

Things could have been worse, I could have had seizures and such. That's why I tell people to never quit benzos cold turkey, but your dose is so low that I think it would be doable, however I recommend tapering off the way I told you. That would be the best thing to do.

By the way, what I went through was doable, but what I mean by doable when I'm telling you all this, is that you can do it without having to go through hell.

I wanted to add that I myself am tapering off Clonazepam, I'm currently taking 1mg a day, next Wednesday I'll be taking 0.5mg. I taper down by 0.5mg at a time. Some people find this a way-too-fast taper, but it works for me, I've come down all the way from 4mg a day. I'm advising you to taper down by 0.25mg instead of 0.5mg because it's considered a more proper way of doing it. I have even done 1mg tapers per week, although I smoked weed constantly throughout the day which helped me not feel the withdrawals from the Xanax. Currently I'm feeling mild withdrawals like lethargy and sleepiness (which is weird) but I'm not experiencing anxiety or lack of appetite, quite the opposite, I have a very strong appetite. These withdrawal symptoms have been the most unexpected and weird because they do not usually happen. What usually happens is insomnia (which I'm not experiencing), lack of appetite, anxiety, depression (in some people), I'm not experiencing any of these and it's very weird to me.

Overall you'll be fine, if you have gone through other withdrawals and know what the deal is all about, then you'll be alright. 0.75mg of Xanax is a low dose, and it shouldn't bother you so much to taper off, even if you quit cold turkey.

reef88 added 31 Minutes and 14 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpopper96743 View Post
Thanks. Ive withdrawaln from opiates/oids more times than I care to remember (15-20, 10 of which being heavy), but never xanax. I find that I get agitated/anxious when I skip a dose or avoid it as long as possible. The physical symptoms I can handle with ease, but the mental side effects are a different story. When WDing from opioids, I get agitated and get a little emotional: Too sympathetic, too optimistic, depressed, very little anxiety etc (basially bipolar disorder). But with xanax or other benzos, I have no experience in at all with anything over 16-20 hours and what the timeline is with a dose this low. Im not too worried about the high dose seizures, but aside from skin crawling, insomnia, increased anxiety and agitation, what else can I expect when withdrawling from .75 mg of xanax?

Ive been through hell and back with pain meds so im expecting the symptoms wont be anything I cnt really handle. Shits just tough right now and I need to get prepared for something like this. When I jump into things like detoxing where serious commitment and preparation is required, I usually fail.
Another thing you can expect is lack of appetite. I think you are considering going cold turkey on the .75mg, I suggest you at least taper down to .5mg if you wanna go cold turkey from there alright, I can't stop you. If you think you can handle the withdrawals then go ahead. Withdrawals will be anxiety, you could face some problems when it comes to getting to sleep. I don't think lack of appetite will be a symptom but it could be.

Last edited by reef88; 03-06-2012 at 20:30. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-12-2012, 01:08
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from United States
Cousin Merle is captain of the psychonauts.Cousin Merle is captain of the psychonauts.Cousin Merle is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 249, Level: 2 Points: 249, Level: 2 Points: 249, Level: 2
Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0% Activity: 5.0%

Tapering is a good idea. But 4 months of use at .75mg per day is not a very high dose, so don't get freaked out. The suggestion of reducing your dose by .25mg each week is a good one, though it would be better to get on a long half-life benzo like diazepam - that's what a lot of the pros recommend. My cosmonaut friend was on Klonopin for 4 or 5 months at 0.5mg/day and tapered down in 3 weeks or so with little or no symptoms except a couple nights of insomnia. If you feel the need, you also can cut the .25 mg pills in half to taper...
Old 09-12-2012, 13:09
Titanium Member

42 y/o Male from Australia
out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.out_there really knows their shit.
Points: 2,214, Level: 7 Points: 2,214, Level: 7 Points: 2,214, Level: 7
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%

Is Xanax the only benzo you've been on? This is important because if there is a history of benzo use the body would have built a tolerance and therefore tapering may be harder.
I quit Xanax without tapering and I felt like I was in hell for about a month. Not trying to scare you but it is not an easy thing to do. Ultimately your body will let you know how the tapering is going and if you can't handle it then ask your doctor for guidance and maybe some diazepam as someone else suggested.
Good luck and stay strong and remember there is always support here.

Last edited by out_there; 09-12-2012 at 13:10. Reason: Spelling error
Old 07-07-2013, 04:19

Male from Canada
Chris9778 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

I was given xanax one month ago at about 1,5 mg a day which I took for two weeks then I was suppose to see the psychiatrist to stop the medication. However I continued to use 1 mg for the next two weeks.i kept trying to quit them by reducing but kept using for this period.Consequently, iam now down to 0.5 for the last 3 days.today I tried to take only 0.25 but I wasn't feeling well. I seen the psychiatrist and told him I was still on the xanax and haven't quit and he told me to take 1 mg 2 days and 0.5 two days and on my last day of the pill to start taking lazopram. However I don't want to use anymore benzos and the psychiatrist I seen was in east Europe so I came back to Canada so now I just want to quit the xanax. Should I just cut down the last 0.5 pill suddenly or should I taper for a few days longer. I feel fine and got adjusted to 0.5 a day the last 3 days.but is it still too soon to quit? Or should I taper slower!
Old 07-07-2013, 04:55
Titanium Member

48 y/o Female from USA - Michigan
carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.carter 1203 really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,132, Level: 5 Points: 1,132, Level: 5 Points: 1,132, Level: 5
Activity: 6.7% Activity: 6.7% Activity: 6.7%

Chris, you said you were given these a month ago and only using .5 mg right? It's ideal to taper but you were not on a real high dose and not over-using them. The reason the doctor suggested (I'm guessing) the lorazepam is because it's a little longer acting than Xanax.

If you want to discontinue altogether, it's probably best to half your dose to .25 mg. I would be reluctant to start lorazepam for the simple reason you don't have a bad habit yet. It would be good to have them on hand and use if you start to feel withdrawal from Xanax. But don't use them every day. I'm glad you're being cautious with these pills. Best wishes and Welcome to drugs-forum!
Old 08-07-2013, 02:53

Male from Canada
Chris9778 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Thanks for your answer.

Post Quality Evaluations:
You can and should use the rep function to rate posts, this shows a real gratitude for any helpful information provided

Share this on:

Tags
xanax