Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 22:31

Male from United States
jayheyoh is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Adderall vs. Adderall XR: which provides a better experience?

A friend of a friend is going to experience his first use of Adderall, and wants to know which one provides a better experience. He knows that regular Adderall releases all of the drug at once, whereas XR releases it over time, but how does that translate into the experience? Does the regular Adderall provide a better high since it's released all at once, or does the extended period of the XR provide a funner experience? What's the difference between the two highs?

He says thanks for any answers he can get!
Old 01-06-2012, 23:55
Silver Member

25 y/o Female from USA - Nevada
Makeup_Junkie is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 219, Level: 2 Points: 219, Level: 2 Points: 219, Level: 2
Adderall IR has a fast come-up which means after about 15 minutes, you'll just feel a "surge" of amphetamines. I remember when I took Adderall IR for the first time, it hit me hard and I felt a huge rush of euphoria. The problem is that with the sudden come-up, after about 6 hours, there is a sudden come-down which can be pretty uncomfortable. This is the reason why I like the XR better.

Adderall XR takes about 30 minutes to kick in and it's a nice, smooth come-up. After about an hour and depending on your dosage, you will still feel a nice euphoria. Another reason I like XR better is that it lasts for about 10 hours as opposed to IR which lasts about 6. The XR has a much smoother come-down than IR which at small doses, is barely noticeable. Though with XR, even if you're at a high dosage, the comedown still sucks, but it's not nearly as bad as IR.

Hope that answers your questions and if you have any more, feel free to ask me either on this thread or PM
Old 02-06-2012, 06:43

Male from United States
Re: Adderall vs. Adderall XR: which provides a better experience?

That was very helpful! Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:51
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

51 y/o Male from United States
S4B is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, here is a related question. If one crushes either tablet or caplet, say, 10mg dose...and then it is
administered rectally in 3-5ml of distilled water using a syringe...is there any difference in the ramp up
and then, come down? Is the high different, than say, crystal meth using the syringe method?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:17
Silver Member

No problem, jayheyoh Glad I could help. And I'm sorry, S4b. I can't answer your question. I've never taken Adderall in any other way other than orally. But I'm sure if you search the forum, you should be able to find your answer. There are plenty of threads on rectal administration. Hope you find your answer
Old 02-06-2012, 15:11

51 y/o Male from United States
S4B is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I appreciate hearing back from you. I am asking anyone else who reads this your thoughts on
adderall vs. adderall xr...if there is ANY difference if either version is crushed and then taken rectally with
3-5ml of distilled water. If the effects are identical with either version. The method of installation is rectal
vs. oral...so, is the effect a bit stronger?
Old 02-06-2012, 19:43

Female from United States
AdderallAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

My friend has snorted both in the past. Although I wouldn't recommend this, here's the information you're looking for:

She says the IR's burn a bit more and don't really do much as far as snorting. Believe her - an IR will hit you hard enough! Snorting it would just be pointless and a bit of a pain in the ass. It's especially not necessary for a first time . . . believe her!

Doctors seem to not prescribe IRs (at least here in the midewest) because they think they're more likely to be abused. I guess they don't know it's actually better (as far as snorting goes) to go with an XR. There are beads which you need to crush (use a shot glass and the handle of a screwdriver). Crush until it becomes powder. If you do this right, the snorting will be nice and smooth

IRs tend to be a bit . . . what's the word . . . chalky? They're very easy to crush, but very hard to get it into a fine powder.

What my friend used to do with IRs was break them in half and put them under her tounge. Yes, they taste bitter, but it will hit you just as hard as snorting (she thinks even stronger). Usually people don't do this a lot because it's bad for your gums and teeth (yeah . . . don't chew them!), but my friend can't imagine it being worse than snorting.

Having said all this, my friend's advice is just to take it orally. It's your first time. I'm not even saying this because I'm trying to get you to be safe (well . . . maybe a little), but I honestly think you'll enjoy yourself more just taking it orally . . . and it'll last longer.
Old 02-06-2012, 19:47

Male from United States

Thanks for the advice! My friend's friend was planning on just taking them orally anyways. Snorting isn't his thing.

He does have another question: he weighs about 125 pounds, give or take. How high of a dosage would be considered dangerous for him? He wants to be very careful not to OD.
Old 02-06-2012, 20:23
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayheyoh View Post
Thanks for the advice! My friend's friend was planning on just taking them orally anyways. Snorting isn't his thing.

He does have another question: he weighs about 125 pounds, give or take. How high of a dosage would be considered dangerous for him? He wants to be very careful not to OD.
Well, a dangerous dose depends on a number of things. Your weight does matter a little bit. How tall are you? 125 is a pretty normal weight if, say, you're 5'4-5'5. But if you're 6'0, you're considered underweight. Check your BMI. Also, it depends on your tolerance. The very first time I tried Adderall, I was 140 pounds and 5'2. I wasn't skinny but I wasn't fat. Just a little chubby. A 10 mg of IR was enough to hit me hard. Then I started taking it on a daily basis and lost 20 pounds but my tolerance went up. After about 4 1/2 years, I weighed about 130-135 and I was taking somewhere around 150-200 mg a day and didn't get any euphoria at all.

I am NOT advocating taking 150-200 mg. THAT is was I would consider a dangerous dose. Do not do that much! Nowadays, I weigh umm... Well... I weigh a lot. 75 mg gets me a nice little buzz but nothing close to the great euphoric feeling I get from 150 or even 125.

Basically to answer your question about OD'ing, this is what I recommend. Start slow. Take (as an example) 30 mg. Wait 15-30 minutes. When you start feeling the effects, if it's just a dull feeling, take another 30 mg. Wait 15-30 minutes again. No scratch that. Wait an hour. If you still aren't getting the desired effects, take an extra 15 mg. If you have a capsule that can't be broken in half like a pill, open the capsule and split the pill in half. Sprinkle half the contents on some applesauce and put the other half back in the capsule. Make sure you keep the capsule with 15 mg separate from your 30 mgs so they don't get mixed up. Don't go more than 75 mg. 60 mg is the recommended maximum dose so 75 is pushing it. If you feel that 75 mg isn't giving you the desired effect you want, I'd stop taking the Adderall for about a week, maybe two to get your tolerance down a little. Then you can start the process all over again. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask
Old 02-06-2012, 20:31

Male from United States

He's about 5'6" or 5'7", so 125 is a bit underweight for him but not unhealthily so. Thanks for the informative posts! Very helpful!
Old 02-06-2012, 20:43
Silver Member

Anytime. Glad I could help
Old 03-06-2012, 01:03
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from United States
ebolarama is a decent psychonaut.ebolarama is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 192, Level: 2 Points: 192, Level: 2 Points: 192, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdderallAngel View Post
She says the IR's burn a bit more and don't really do much as far as snorting. Believe her - an IR will hit you hard enough! Snorting it would just be pointless and a bit of a pain in the ass. It's especially not necessary for a first time . . . believe her!

Doctors seem to not prescribe IRs (at least here in the midewest) because they think they're more likely to be abused. I guess they don't know it's actually better (as far as snorting goes) to go with an XR. There are beads which you need to crush (use a shot glass and the handle of a screwdriver). Crush until it becomes powder. If you do this right, the snorting will be nice and smooth

IRs tend to be a bit . . . what's the word . . . chalky? They're very easy to crush, but very hard to get it into a fine powder.
I don't know why you would think XR's are better for snorting. The beads they come in clog up the nasal cavity pretty bad. Yeah I'd call the IR's chalky too but definitely not difficult to insufflate. The whole process takes about a minute if you're experienced at it, and no shot glass required. Just a credit card and a flat surface. Also, IR's most certainly work much faster and harder if insufflated as opposed to orally ingested.

To actually answer the OP's question if you're looking to get high then IR's will provide a more memorable experience. As for dosing don't start any higher than 20mgs as you're pretty small, you can always add more, you cannot take any out. And don't snort it if it's your first time, just take it orally with a rolaid/tums. Maybe even only 10mgs if you do take a rolaid/tums as these help with absorption of amphetamine to a very noticeable degree.

@S4B
A crushed up Adderall XR becomes the same as an Adderall IR. The time release is the beads themselves. Yes rectal administration will provide much stronger effects then oral, but I've never tried it (nor will I), so I can't speak from experience, but rectal administration of most drugs is extremely efficient.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:10
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United States
Keiyentai is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 141, Level: 1 Points: 141, Level: 1 Points: 141, Level: 1
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

AdderallAngel what brand/strength are the ones your friend says is bitter? SWIM has the blue 10mg generics (Sondoz I believe don't have bottle near me atm) and they are actually sweet :\ which is kind of scary if you think about it. Thankfully though they aren't like Xanax OMG those are horrid horrid tasting bastards.
Old 30-06-2012, 12:46

AdderallAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyentai View Post
AdderallAngel what brand/strength are the ones your friend says is bitter? SWIM has the blue 10mg generics (Sondoz I believe don't have bottle near me atm) and they are actually sweet :\ which is kind of scary if you think about it. Thankfully though they aren't like Xanax OMG those are horrid horrid tasting bastards.
20 mg orange IRs.
Old 22-07-2012, 13:25

28 y/o Male from United States
nuggs313 needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Okay been scripted adderall for 13 years and used to be on XR years ago but a bird did 60mg of XR and then got really cold was shaking and legs were killing now 60mg is a small dose for bird idk what happened it was the first time that happened and a bird is on 200mg IR currently with no bad results so XR is going on the don't fuck wit list
Old 24-12-2012, 07:48
Silver Member

Tlaxcalli is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeup_Junkie View Post
Adderall IR has a fast come-up which means after about 15 minutes, you'll just feel a "surge" of amphetamines. I remember when I took Adderall IR for the first time, it hit me hard and I felt a huge rush of euphoria. The problem is that with the sudden come-up, after about 6 hours, there is a sudden come-down which can be pretty uncomfortable. This is the reason why I like the XR better.

Adderall XR takes about 30 minutes to kick in and it's a nice, smooth come-up. After about an hour and depending on your dosage, you will still feel a nice euphoria. Another reason I like XR better is that it lasts for about 10 hours as opposed to IR which lasts about 6. The XR has a much smoother come-down than IR which at small doses, is barely noticeable. Though with XR, even if you're at a high dosage, the comedown still sucks, but it's not nearly as bad as IR.

Hope that answers your questions and if you have any more, feel free to ask me either on this thread or PM
I can't relate to your experiences. Adderall has never made me feel "euphoric." IR lasts me a good 10 hours, while XR lasts almost 20. And there's no sudden "come down" either... that's usually just the sluggishness I feel the next day if I didn't get enough sleep and/or take the Adderall the next day.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:47

Male from United States
swipes is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1

In my best friend's opinion, crushing & snorting the XR produces a far superior effect than snorting the same dose as IR. I was told the XR capsule contains two types of amphetamine while the IR has just one. When the XR beads are crushed the blended amphetamine produce a truer euphoria than the IR. However I may be wrong about the chemistry..but not the effects.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:32
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United States
mukcc is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 115, Level: 1 Points: 115, Level: 1 Points: 115, Level: 1
Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3%

The XR version and IR version contains four types of amphetamine salts.
"
  • Dextroamphetamine Saccharate
  • Dextroamphetamine Sulfate
  • dl-amphetamine Aspartate
  • dl-amphetamine Sulfate
"
(Read more: grr.. can't post link.. but look for the sticky thread titled: "Comprehensive Adderall Information" in the Adderall subforum.)

^^^ this link has a lot of good information about Adderall.

I can't really speak much about the XR version of Adderall (since I have never taken the XR), however I can speak a bit about the IR. Whenever I first started to take adderall, the dosage was 10mg and was a blue pill. It tasted sweet and almost like sugar. When my dose was bumped up to 20mg, the pill I received was orange but was the same size and shape of the 10mg pill and the taste of the 20mg pill is quite bitter. This is probably because there are more of the additives in the 10mg pill than the 20mg pill.

The reason why you say the effects of XR are superior when compared to the IR version when at the same dose is probably because there might be less additives used in the XR. Shire no longer produces the IR version of Adderall and are only make the XR version of Adderall, of which means us who use the IR are getting it in the generic brand of which contains more additives if compared to the ones Shire used to make.

The way most XR versions (when in the form of a capsule with little beads inside them) of medications work is when taken, half of those beads are instantly dissolved and then later the other half of the beads are dissolved. This means that half of those beads have inactive ingredients surrounding them, that way after a certain amount of time the active ingredients (those 4 types of amphetamine salts) can be dissolved.

Basically what it comes down to is there are more inactive ingredients in Adderall IR than Adderall XR because the IR is usually a generic brand while the XR is from Shire.

Inactive ingredients of (name brand) Adderall IR manufactured by Shire :
" Inactive Ingredients: lactitol, microcrystalline cellulose, colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, and other ingredients.
Colors: ADDERALL® 5 mg is a white to off-white tablet, which contains no color additives.
ADDERALL® 7.5 mg and 10 mg contain FD & C Blue #1.
ADDERALL® 12.5 mg, 15 mg, 20 mg and 30 mg contain FD & C Yellow #6 as a color additive.
" (from a website called: Fingertip Formulary (can't post link D: ))

Inactive ingredients of (generic brand) Adderall IR manufactured by Teva/Barr (Barr and Teva are essentially the same company. Barr is a branch from Teva):

"

Inactive Ingredients

Colloidal silicon dioxide, compressible sugar, corn starch, magnesium
stearate, microcrystalline cellulose and saccharin sodium.
Colors

Adderall® 5 mg is a white to off-white tablet, which contains no color additives.
Adderall ® 7.5 mg and 10 mg contain FD&C Blue #1 Aluminum Lake as a color additive.
Adderall ® 12.5 mg, 15 mg, 20 mg and 30 mg contain FD&C Yellow #6 Aluminum Lake as a color additive. " (from drugs website)

Now, the inactive ingredients of (name brand) Adderall XR manufactured by Shire:
"

Inactive Ingredients and Colors

The inactive ingredients in ADDERALL XR capsules include: gelatin capsules, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, methacrylic acid copolymer, opadry beige, sugar spheres, talc, and triethyl citrate. Gelatin capsules contain edible inks, kosher gelatin, and titanium dioxide. The 5 mg, 10 mg, and 15 mg capsules also contain FD&C Blue #2. The 20 mg, 25 mg, and 30 mg capsules also contain red iron oxide and yellow iron oxide. " (from the Shire website (can't post link D: ))

I think that most of those inactive ingredients found in Adderall XR mainly only deal with the beads inside the capsule that are meant to be released after a certain amount of time. If what I am assuming is true, then those IR beads are much purer than Adderall IR tablets. This will mean that when snorted with poor insufflation habits (aka not rinsing out your nose after every line or two, of which I'm sure many people neglect doing), Adderall XR>IR beads are more effective than Adderall IR tablet (at the same dose of course).

Now, after your crush up all of those beads (both IR and XR) from the Adderall XR capsule, it seems you still get a purer substance than just normal Adderall IR, however I cannot find the weight of those additives to determine that. I guess you could weight the pill or powder and subtract the weight you get from the total weight of the active ingredients however I don't have the scale to do that.

Anyways, it all comes down to inactive ingredients and habits when snorting. The XR version of Adderall would produce better effects than Adderall IR (with someone who doesn't have good habits when snorting) because there are probably less inactive ingredients in the XR than the IR. Also, keep in mind that Adderall IR is usually the generic form of which in general seems to have flaws (many bad reviews ever since Barr/Teva altered the formula in some way), while Adderall XR is name brand and from Shire. Name brands of most products tend to have better quality than a generic brand.

TL/DR : My advice, whether you choose the XR or IR, practice good snorting habits in order to have the best possible experience. The XR will probably provide a better experience, tbh after all this research I just did to reply to this thread, I'm thinking about switching from IR to XR or something since the generic IR seems to have a lot of flaws and this apparently would explain why so many people on IR experience sleepiness.

Anyways, now you know more about what you're snorting

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thoroughly researched and well explained
Old 04-11-2013, 06:54

Male from United States

Mukcc thank you! Explains everything..So informative (and friendly..you could so easily have flamed me for not doing my homework). Great site and people here..wish we had this network in the physical world.
Old 04-11-2013, 19:01

Male from United States
Nabooly is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1

I am on XR 25mg and IR 5mg. The IR is meant to be a booster for me. But to be honest the boost is minimal. I can honestly say it is like I'm not taking anything. I'm not quite sure if it is a dosage issue or not, but it provides nothing more than what a cup of coffee would. I'm not looking for a rush or euphoria though, just a little help later in the day.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:26

Male from United States

Nabooly from what my doc told me the trick here is to take the IR before you start crashing from the XR. The IR has too much work to do otherwise..somehow makes sense.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:50
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United States
mukcc is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 115, Level: 1 Points: 115, Level: 1 Points: 115, Level: 1
Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by swipes View Post
Nabooly from what my doc told me the trick here is to take the IR before you start crashing from the XR. The IR has too much work to do otherwise..somehow makes sense.

This is correct, I believe it has to do with how dopamine reacts after you take amphetamines. After your amphetamines has run it's course, dopamine is depleted, and this causes depression and in general you feel like crap, of which I feel like contributes to feeling tired during the comedown. I'll explain what happens to dopamine after you take Adderall (Amphetamine mixed salts) so that way you'll be able to understand what happens so you can just be more aware of what's happening to your body.

After you take your Adderall XR, the amount of dopamine being released is increased, causing you to feel (possible) euphoria, motivation, etc., however while the Adderall XR starts to fade, so does the production of dopamine. Once this happens, instead of your dopamine levels going back to normal, your dopamine levels go way below their normal level, this causes depression, anxiety, and an in general "shitty" feeling. The reason why your dopamine levels get so low is because instead of your brain reusing the dopamine like how it normally does (when not taking amphetamines), your dopamine basically gets thrown away.

Now, if you were to take your Adderall IR while your dopamine levels are depleted, your brain tries to put out as much dopamine it can, however it won't do much since your brain has hardly any dopamine left. More than likely, you'll still feel really crappy because dopamine levels will be way below what it should be. This means you'd have to take a higher dosage to have more stimulation to try to counteract the tired shitty feeling, but no matter how high your second dose is, that shitty depressed feeling probably won't go away because your dopamine levels are still low.

If you take your Adderall IR while Adderall XR is still very active in your body, I believe that you will just be letting that increased production of dopamine last longer, keeping your dopamine levels either average or above average. That is basically what happens when you take Adderall XR, those beads are meant to gradually be released to keep the medication from wearing off.

(Note: I do not advise you to take a higher dosage to try to counteract the comedown of amphetamines, it can lead to a very dangerous situation. Please be sure to take your second dosage before your first dose wears off, this is the safest and most effective way to take your second dosage.)

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, adderall xr